How much calories are lost from fried and microwavable foods?

Will35

I end up eating too much of this stuff. For instance, fast food biscuits and microwaving previously cooked meals as well as actual microwavable foods. I have heard microwaving kills calories especially and it seems people are always saying grilled over fried.

Microwaving food has no effect on its caloric content.  None, zip, zero.  All it does is make the food hot.

To go into more detail, the microwaves energize water molecules in the food, heating them to a boil.  Essentially you're steam-cooking the food from the inside out.  Obviously, since water has no calories, it doesn't matter how much steam you boil away: the dehydrated food will have the same amount of calories it had before.  It'll just shrink. 

(Unless it's a marshmallow, then it'll puff up momentarily and deflate.  Putting Peeps in the microwave is a fun thing to do if you're bored.)

Frying food adds calories because you are cooking the food by immersing it in liquid fat. Some of that fat clings to the food.  Grilling is usually less oily and therefore doesn't add as many calories as frying, but it depends whether you used a baste/marinade/sauce.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

People say grilled over fried to avoid the fats in the frying oil - and depending on the kind of fat (etc etc) this may be a good thing.

Calories are potential energy. As the previous poster said, all the microwave does is make the water molecules hop up and down and get hotter. And sometimes turn your pizza to rubber.

Current challenge:This is not how daemoncorax used to wake up

Previous challenges: DaemonCorax doesn't go on vacation

(STR 21; DEX 3; STA 10.5; CON 8.3; WIS 15; CHA 2 - but these are SUPER out of date.)

While we have to stay away from the desert, we can always ride our bikes.

On 6/7/2018 at 6:47 PM, DaemonCorax said:

And sometimes turn your pizza to rubber.

Have you tried nuking it with a cup of water in there with it? For future reference, slapping it on a skillet actually makes it taste pretty great for day old pizza.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...