Greetings fellow fitness nerds! Lord Chaosbane approaches...

Lord Dwinbar Chaosbane, Hero of the Hammer, Slayer of Drachenfels, Slayer of Manfred Von Carstein and champion to Count Heironiemous Bosch.

tldr; Was an overweight nerd - Been trying to get fit for years but struggle with gaming addiction,m relationship with unhealthy food and work, family and my Open University course taking all of my time.

So, I spent many a year sat on my oversized arse playing tabletop roleplay games, video games, war games, TCG/CCG..... and of course eating junk. Despite this, I managed to always maintain a close to healthy weight, as I walked/skated/scooted several miles to school every day. I also got in to martial arts (Bujinkan Ninjjutsu) when I was 14 and trained hard in that for 5 years, along with doing freerunning for a couple of years. But my video game addiction and unhealthy relationship to junk food stopped me attaining the fitness levels I should have had.

I then started playing world of warcraft.. and that was where it all went really down hill. I spent a year of my life doing literally nothing but playing WoW for 12-16 hours a day for most days. I missed out on my younger brother growing up... missed out on relationships.. didn't talk to family. I was just incredibly addicted. But.. I killed the Lich King.. and well, kinda just got over it thankfully. Got a new job, got a new girlfriend (who is now my wife and mother of my amazing little boy). I didn't lose much weight during this time, but I lost ALL muscle mass and I think caused myself some semi-permanent imbalances in my posture and mobility that I still struggle with 8-9 years later.

I started running when I was 21 after doing a charity 5k with my employer, and fell in love. I did that on and off for 6 years, with me being able to run a sub 6 minute mile, and 8 hour off road 40 miles at my fittest.

I brought a little Lord Chaosbane in to the world a couple of years ago, when I was 26, and of course during the first 6 months I found I had next to no time to run, in fact I had next to no time for ANYTHING, as I am sure those of you with spawn of your own can relate to. Due to this I had to (realistically) give up my distance running.

My next logical choice? Convert my garage in to a gym and start weightlifting! I have been lifting for the last 2 years, without about 1 year consistency due to family life, work and my Open University course getting in the way. One problem with training by myself is accountability.. if I'm feeling crap and just want to spend the evening playing Elder Scrolls Online.. well then I always have some painful niggle I can use as an excuse not to go to the gym.. (Weak I know... sometimes I struggle with my what I am sure is a gaming addiction).

I'm looking forward to getting to know a few like minded people here, starting my quest (I will post on those forums when the next 4 weeks start).

Take care and happy questing!

I'm also tossing up between three routines at the moment.. I'll post in the other forum asking for advice on which to run.

29356621_1556099481169217_4785362092012077056_o.jpg

20 minutes ago, Defining said:

I think you're in good company when it comes to difficulty keeping yourself accountable to yourself. ;) Most of us struggle with that, to some degree, at some point.

Welcome to the 'boards!

I'm looking forward to posting my Quest when they next start and keeping a log. I will start checking some others out. This will definitely help with that.

9 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

Hello and welcome. I hope you feel welcome here in the long run. I can definitely relate to the gaming addiction. It's tough to give up but nothing worth receiving will come without a fight.

Thanks! I already feel more welcomed than any of the other fitness communities I've lurked in, and I haven't even joined in much yet.

And it is mainly MMO's, I like the social aspect because for some reason I decided that peopel skillz was a dumpstat for RL.