Crow PvP [May 21 to June 18]

This is the best I can do with the firefly.  I'm not sure whether flexibility or strength is the bigger issue here, but I can't seem to get my legs high enough on my arms.  And when I do, then I have so much mass in my rear that I fall backwards. ;)  I had an okay hold at the end, but my cat decided to interfere with the camera.  I have no idea why yoga is so fascinating to cats, but I constantly have cat-interference these days. :) 

• Like 4

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

11 hours ago, Nymeria said:

I had an okay hold at the end, but my cat decided to interfere with the camera.  I have no idea why yoga is so fascinating to cats, but I constantly have cat-interference these days. :) 

Omg, seriously!  I wanted to do a silly "hungry crow" pose where I dipped my head down and picked up chips, but my cat kept on stealing all my chips...  <_< Really nice work though!  :D

...I had a somewhat decent eight angle and straddle hold, but I failed at filming them.  Note to self--just leave the camera running.  My reattempts after when the camera was actually on were all on shaky arms, and they quickly turned into face plants.  I think I just need to try again tomorrow with fresh arms.

Anyways, here is my contribution--shoulder pressing pose!  ...not technically a crow, but I was running out of do-able ideas; I think this still falls in the similar arm balance family.  If any of you amazing people can somehow manage to get to here from crow, go for it!  :D

• Like 4

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

34 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

Anyways, here is my contribution--shoulder pressing pose! 

That looks ... doable.  I will give that one a try tonight :) 

Also, is that a Rainbow next to the couch?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That looks ... doable.  I will give that one a try tonight :) 

Yay!  Looking forward to seeing your version! :D 

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Also, is that a Rainbow next to the couch?

Yup!  I am actually allergic to my cat, so I got one as soon as I heard I could use water as a "filter" instead of shelling out about a hundred bucks for replacement filters.  It's been great.  You have one?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Omg, seriously!  I wanted to do a silly "hungry crow" pose where I dipped my head down and picked up chips, but my cat kept on stealing all my chips...  <_< Really nice work though!  :D

This would have been fantastic. :D Still, awesome contribution though.

• Like 1

Just to check:  We're at

1.  Crow prep + clapping seal

2.  Baby/forearm crow

3. One legged crow

4. Headstand crow

5. Crow taps

6. Eight angle

7. Side crow

8. Straddle press

9. Shoulder pressing pose

So, I'm up, and I'm going to be a giant asshole.  Sorry.

10. Lotus crow/rooster.  I needed to use a chair to get into the hold, but I bet some of you can manage to get there unassisted.  If your legs won't allow a lotus, you can do the same move with just regular crossed legs.

This video also has some bloopers and super sketchy pose #9 at the end for me.  Eventually, I got a hold where my feet were (barely) off of the ground.  My (lack of) flexibility and body type just do not work well with either shoulder pressing pose or firefly.  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

4 hours ago, Machete said:

This would have been fantastic. :D Still, awesome contribution though.

Perhaps I'll try it again the next time my turn rolls around.  I'll bring out the vacuum and set it next to the chip plate to ward the cat away.  :P 

4 hours ago, Nymeria said:

10. Lotus crow/rooster.  I needed to use a chair to get into the hold, but I bet some of you can manage to get there unassisted.  If your legs won't allow a lotus, you can do the same move with just regular crossed legs.

Very nice work!  Such a creative idea of using a chair to get to the position!  ...I'm currently attempting to sit in a lotus position in my work chair to get used to the position, but this chair has arm rests so it's not super comfortable.  :P  Oh well, I'll should probably just wait till I get home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

You guys are all awesome. Feeling a bit out of my level. I  tried the moves and couldn't get close:)

Let's find variations!
For straddle holds and firefly, how is it going with bent legs? You can also straddle with feet on the floor and start pressing the bum. It's ok if the legs are not coming up yet. It's also possible to do a straddle around one arm only.

For the rooster, I have heard of half lotus versions, I haven't looked into it yet though.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Here is my home work so far. It's hard to keep up with almost daily crows in the mailbox!

For the straddle hold, form needs work and going back was hard (unsurprisingly). So I got myself back to some kind of frog lump on my elbows. I tried extending my legs and then sticking my elbows in my arm pits but that did not work either :D 

Otherwise I'm happy to report progress on the side crow! I noticed people were using a slightly wider arm stance, I tried that and it worked itself out finally, without hip support. Still need some practice with the legs but it's getting there! I could absolutely not do this at all 3 weeks ago!

Then crow to 8-angle, I managed on parallettes but with … err ... momentum :P

And then a crow to firefly and the foot lock thingy. I couldn't straighten for the firefly.

Last but least, rooster! I don't have a solid lotus, my legs kept snapping out while getting into the hold. Managed with crossed-legs from the sofa so far.

#1 Crow prep + clapping seal crow

#2 Baby crow – failed crow to baby crow

#3 One-legged crow variation: block support at the bottom or in deep bent arm stand on parallettes

#4 Headstand crow + crow to headstand to crow

#5 Crow taps

#6 Eight-angle crow to eight-angle (not well controlled though :D and on parallettes)

#7 Side crow with hip support

#8 Straddle hold - crow to straddle hold and back (but to a froggy lump) – bent firefly

#9 Crow to foot lock in front

#10 Failed lotus crow – crossed-legged crow from sofa

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Let's find variations!
For straddle holds and firefly, how is it going with bent legs? You can also straddle with feet on the floor and start pressing the bum. It's ok if the legs are not coming up yet. It's also possible to do a straddle around one arm only.

For the rooster, I have heard of half lotus versions, I haven't looked into it yet though.

Thanks. I couldn't do it with bent legs either, I tried that. But I could probably do it by keeping my feet on the floor. I'll see if I can figure out the half lotus.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks. I couldn't do it with bent legs either, I tried that. But I could probably do it by keeping my feet on the floor. I'll see if I can figure out the half lotus.

Have a look at the straddle around one arm. It allows for a slightly narrower straddle and more freedom in how you place your arms / less pressure, it might be more comfortable at first.

• Like 1

@Elastigirl this is a visual on what I mean. I did quick reps but holds are good of course. I mostly practice on parallettes because when I get tired, my legs come down quickly, but it's good to hold whatever the height I think. The floor is nice for butt presses though.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Yup!  I am actually allergic to my cat, so I got one as soon as I heard I could use water as a "filter" instead of shelling out about a hundred bucks for replacement filters.  It's been great.  You have one?

Yes, we have one that we also use mostly as an air purifier.  We have been quite happy with it

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

9 hours ago, @mu said:

@Elastigirl this is a visual on what I mean. I did quick reps but holds are good of course. I mostly practice on parallettes because when I get tired, my legs come down quickly, but it's good to hold whatever the height I think. The floor is nice for butt presses though.

Thanks.That's super helpful. I can do that!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

So the next crow is more of a transition.

its the crow to chaturanga ( low plank / low staff)

you can also go back to a normal plank if thats better for you :)

@Mad Hatter

you are up :)

Murder list:

Norgaard

Mad Hatter

Elastigirl

lucky fire dragon

Raptron

@mu
WhiteGhost

Machete

Jlailin
Nymeria

list:

#2 Baby crow

#3 One-legged crow variation

#5 Crow taps

#6 Eight-angle

#7 Side crow

#8 Straddle hold 

#10 lotus Crow

#11 Crow to chaturanga transition

• Like 2

Be like water my friend

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Here is my home work so far. It's hard to keep up with almost daily crows in the mailbox!

For the straddle hold, form needs work and going back was hard (unsurprisingly). So I got myself back to some kind of frog lump on my elbows. I tried extending my legs and then sticking my elbows in my arm pits but that did not work either :D 

Otherwise I'm happy to report progress on the side crow! I noticed people were using a slightly wider arm stance, I tried that and it worked itself out finally, without hip support. Still need some practice with the legs but it's getting there! I could absolutely not do this at all 3 weeks ago!

Then crow to 8-angle, I managed on parallettes but with … err ... momentum :P

And then a crow to firefly and the foot lock thingy. I couldn't straighten for the firefly.

Last but least, rooster! I don't have a solid lotus, my legs kept snapping out while getting into the hold. Managed with crossed-legs from the sofa so far.

#2 Baby crow – failed crow to baby crow

#3 One-legged crow variation: block support at the bottom or in deep bent arm stand on parallettes

#5 Crow taps

#6 Eight-angle crow to eight-angle (not well controlled though :D and on parallettes)

#7 Side crow with hip support

#8 Straddle hold - crow to straddle hold and back (but to a froggy lump) – bent firefly

#10 Failed lotus crow – crossed-legged crow from sofa

Really nice work!  And your cat grabbing your foot is adorable!  I commend you for being able to continue with the pose while you had little kitty paws grabbing at you.  :D 

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Eeeek I'm so behind! I'll try and do something as soon as possible but I don't think it will happen until Saturday or possibly even Sunday! If you guys want new stuff sooner maybe someone can jump ahead.

dont worry you have time.

I also need to catch up on some of the poses,

take your time :)

• Like 1

Be like water my friend

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Cool, stay tuned! :) 

Yes take your time. Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit of crow recovery training time :D

11 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Really nice work!  And your cat grabbing your foot is adorable!  I commend you for being able to continue with the pose while you had little kitty paws grabbing at you.  :D

Ha ha thanks. The cat has been training me. That foot grab was only a minor annoyance.  When she's really on, it looks more like this.... :D

• Like 1