Crow PvP [May 21 to June 18]

Oh man, you guys are blazing through these! I'll film a crow variation this afternoon!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

8 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I did it!! :D 

For a tiny moment I held my crow, woot woot. Cat video bombed it of course, but it was there ^_^
Also I love baby crow as I could hold that for a brief moment as well, yay!!!

So the seal clapping had to be combined with my crow hold.... for efficency reasons ;)

and then there were many attempts at the one sided crow which had my body do all kinds of things (like straightening arms for whatever reason) that I didn't even intend. Tried with wall, wasn't any better either, but video spotting is awesome as I can see how I straightened my arms and obviously then my leg would slide off, duh!

Also from video I can see that in general I can lean quite a bit more forward still and bending my arms a bit more for easier balance. It always feels so different to what I see from video is actually happening :lol:

My contribution is a headstand crow. Basically a tripod headstand with crow legs ^_^

That's awesome .Congrats for holding the crow. I used to be able to do the headstand crow. Looking forward to playing with it again.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Right so I did NOT get along with any of the one legged crow modifications, at all. :( Not sure why, I seemed to struggle with finding the right geometry and balance point. The wall variation was the worst for me as it didn't feel at all like the freestanding one. The most helpful variation was option 2 - but then I could do the same thing without the blocks anyway, sooo yeeeah. Shame. All I managed today was to get into a crow with one leg tucked in close to my chest for a few seconds. And I'm very twisted when I do it, but hey it's a (re)start. :)  

Bonus for the crow headstand variation was to get in and out of it via crow. :) 

• Like 2
On 5/22/2018 at 1:29 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Yay for joining! First of all, it's absolutely fine to balance your knees on your elbows if that feels easier. But what happens exactly? Are you placing your knees high in your armpits to begin with or do you place them lower on your elbows? Maybe they end up on the outside of your arms? Do they slide off? Can you get higher on your tip toes to lift your hips before getting into the position?

I think I just place them on my elbows in the beginning.  Looking at everyone's videos, I think I'm starting with my hips too low from the get go.  I think maybe I'll try tippy toeing or using a block/cushion/stack of books to see if I can get further up my arms.  I shall try it tonight!  :) 

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

6 hours ago, Nymeria said:

I'm way behind and way out of practice with arm balances....but.... can I play too?  

Of course! Welcome to the murder!

NEW MURDER LIST:

Norgaard

Mad Hatter

Elastigirl

lucky fire dragon

Raptron

@mu
WhiteGhost

Machete

Jlailin
Nymeria

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

All I managed today was to get into a crow with one leg tucked in close to my chest for a few seconds.

Same for me on the floor with no parallettes no prop.

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Bonus for the crow headstand variation was to get in and out of it via crow. :) 

Haa nice one!

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

8 hours ago, Jlailin said:

I think I just place them on my elbows in the beginning.  Looking at everyone's videos, I think I'm starting with my hips too low from the get go.  I think maybe I'll try tippy toeing or using a block/cushion/stack of books to see if I can get further up my arms.  I shall try it tonight!  :)

I thought a bit about your knee position question vs flexibility. I see it myself, as soon as the press becomes harder (for instance in the one-legged crow), I'm struggling with my knee, the position, the slide. How comfortable I am in the arm press does matter, because it will give me more stability, but holding that shape is actually a lot of core and abs too, I feel.
I'm not sure but I think it has to do with active flexibility / active compression rather than just flexibility. For instance, presumably you can sit on the floor in a straddle. Now pressing  into a straddle hold is much harder. It's not just the arm strength, it takes a lot of core and abs to lift those legs off the floor and keep them straight (or even bent).  I will get serious abs spasms way before my arms fail. Another example to get away from arm pressing strength but sticking to that crow shape: dead hang from a bar and get your knees into your arm pits. It's not so obvious in crow because knees are supported but gravity is still there and working AGAINST you :lol:

• Like 1

@Nymeria I just checked out your crow tutorials from your sig, they were awesome! Great tips, I need my wrists to rest a bit today but I will definitely watch again and try them!

Sorry for the delay! I just quickly filmed CROW TAPS for you guys this am. You definitely do not need to point your toes in between :P. Possible modifications off the top of my head, tapping to blocks, tapping a wall behind you, tapping the floor, headstands tripod toe-tap!

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yay for joining! :D Don't worry, I'm rusty too... We'll get them back.

I'm feeling so nostalgic for the good old days when you, raptron, and I had that arm balance PVP.  I'm getting the feeling that raptron would kick both of our butts if we did the same thing today. ;) 

21 minutes ago, raptron said:

Sorry for the delay! I just quickly filmed CROW TAPS for you guys this am. You definitely do not need to point your toes in between :P. Possible modifications off the top of my head, tapping to blocks, tapping a wall behind you, tapping the floor!

Nice!

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

I'm feeling so nostalgic for the good old days when you, raptron, and I had that arm balance PVP.  I'm getting the feeling that raptron would kick both of our butts if we did the same thing today. ;) 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Me too! She 100% kicked my butt back in the day, now it's much worse. :P 

IT WAS A COLLABORATIVE EXPLORATION OF MOVEMENT, YOU GUYS. :P No winning or losing. That was a really fun challenge, though! 

@@mu forgot to say TAG, YOU'RE IT! in my last post. :) 

Raptron, alot assassin

15 hours ago, raptron said:

@@mu forgot to say TAG, YOU'RE IT! in my last post. :) 

Wow already, it is fast paced! I should be able to come up with something later on today.

Here is the new shiny which I lazily took from our parallettes PvP, I'm sure Norgaard will love that one too :P I managed to do it on the floor, but my legs are still a bit low and bent, work in progress...

Here are the progressions I used for it:

https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/challenge-pose-4-steps-master-eight-angle-pose-astavakrasana

Hands props (books / yoga blocks / parallettes) helped me a lot to start getting the shape while still having low-hanging legs.

Followed by crow taps and the bonus crow - headstand - crow

#1 Crow prep + clapping seal crow

#2 Baby crow – failed crow to baby crow

#3 One-legged crow variation: block support at the bottom or in deep bent arm stand on parallettes

#4 Headstand crow + crow to headstand to crow

#5 Crow taps

#6 Eight-angle

• Like 2

1 minute ago, @mu said:

@WhiteGhost you're up!

I will try to get something tonight or tomorrow morning.

For the video, should we be doing all the previous progressions, or just a new one?  Some have been doing one way and some the other

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 minutes ago, @mu said:

Very nice crow taps! :) Your crow is so solid now.

7 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

For the video, should we be doing all the previous progressions, or just a new one?  Some have been doing one way and some the other

Just the new ones that you haven't already done, but sometimes that ends up as more than one as we're going at a pretty quick pace. :) For your new crow you can either make a separate video or just add it to your other video, whatever you prefer.  

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

I suppose you could do a video with just your contribution for now, depending on how busy you are.
In the intro, it says it's flexible because it takes time to shoot / upload / shoot / upload and people may also not have time to crow every day. But a week review of the contributions should be flexible enough and I hope people will post their progressions soon, because it can really help to see different variations performed by different bodies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Very nice crow taps! :) Your crow is so solid now.

Yes! in what, 2 weeks maybe, I have really shaken this feeling of paralysis / being all locked in crow, it really feels different!

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Here is the new shiny which I lazily took from our parallettes PvP, I'm sure Norgaard will love that one too :P I managed to do it on the floor, but my legs are still a bit low and bent, work in progress...

Here are the progressions I used for it:

https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/challenge-pose-4-steps-master-eight-angle-pose-astavakrasana

Hands props (books / yoga blocks / parallettes) helped me a lot to start getting the shape while still having low-hanging legs.

#1 Crow prep + clapping seal crow

#2 Baby crow – failed crow to baby crow

#3 One-legged crow variation: block support at the bottom or in deep bent arm stand on parallettes

#4 Headstand crow + crow to headstand to crow

#5 Crow taps

#6 Eight-angle

I dont know how you seem to be so seemingly nice and lovely, and yet so full of hatred ;)

I actually thought of taking it on my turn if you didn't :D it suits my challenge!

• Haha 1

Be like water my friend