Crow PvP [May 21 to June 18]

I just haven't been keeping this very top of mind when I am in positions to film the earlier shinies. I am mostly on the forums at work and my skirts are... a bit short to be crowing around in at the office. ;) 

I'll definitely film some of my takes on the earlier (and then probably newer!) crow stuff before the week is out. :) 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

20 minutes ago, raptron said:

I just haven't been keeping this very top of mind when I am in positions to film the earlier shinies. I am mostly on the forums at work and my skirts are... a bit short to be crowing around in at the office. ;) 

This is why I try to make sure my clothes are always upside down friendly. And splits friendly. I wish they would design clothes with that mind.

• Haha 1

OK, here is my addition.  Apologies for the vertical filming.  Oops!

Clapping Seal Crow

Baby Crow

One Legged Crow

Head Stand Crow

Crow Taps

Eight Angle

Really Sketchy Side Crow

@Machete  You're up :) 

• Like 5
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

18 minutes ago, @mu said:

Impressive video! And you managed all of them in a row!

I had to, I don't know how to edit videos :D

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Okay, so I don't know how to edit videos either, but I'm nowhere near as talented as WhiteGhost. ...so you guys just get several video clips.  :P

Back Crow and clapping crow

A very, very modified baby crow...  I had to start with my feet already up and sort of back into it to even achieve the pose without face planting.

Side crow was approached the same way as baby crow.  My knees just didn't want to leave my arms when I tried going directly from regular crow.

Headstand crow

Crow floor taps

Very wobbly side crow

...As for that eight angle thing, I cannot for the life of me figure it out.  I basically just end up sitting on the ground with my legs wrapped around my arm.  Anyone have any ideas for modification?

• Like 4

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

Really nice work, I don't understand your initial worries at all. :) 

27 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

Side crow was approached the same way as baby crow.  My knees just didn't want to leave my arms when I tried going directly from regular crow.

The transition from regular crow to side crow is really hard though! 

30 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

...As for that eight angle thing, I cannot for the life of me figure it out.  I basically just end up sitting on the ground with my legs wrapped around my arm.  Anyone have any ideas for modification?

As @@mu suggested, have you tried using yoga blocks or parallettes or books under your hands? Then you don't have to lift your butt so high but still get a feel for the pose. Also the higher you can get your legs onto your arms the easier it gets.

Can I also say that I'm super happy to see everyone's crows! :) 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Honestly, I surprised myself here too!  I hadn't done crow for maybe a few months, and the last time was pretty shaky--hence my worries.  I suppose the copious dance classes I've taken in between somehow helped with that.  ...and I also didn't post my many, many takes of crowing that included all my face planting. :P 

14 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

The transition from regular crow to side crow is really hard though! 

Sooooo hard!  >_<

16 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

As @@mu suggested, have you tried using yoga blocks or parallettes or books under your hands? Then you don't have to lift your butt so high but still get a feel for the pose. Also the higher you can get your legs onto your arms the easier it gets.

I think I need bigger books...  I got rid of most of my big text books and the ones I've got are tiny paperbacks.  Those did not work very well.  ...Or I should just buy myself some yoga blocks.  Oh wait!  I have a door pull up bar that I think I can flip over or something!  I vaguely remember seeing a picture when I set it up.  Hmm... I shall take it down and attempt using it later!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jlailin said:

Okay, so I don't know how to edit videos either, but I'm nowhere near as talented as WhiteGhost. ...so you guys just get several video clips.  :P

Very nice work actually!!

For the 8-angle thingy, yes, if you can try the pull-up bar, that's a brilliant idea! I does help tremendously to be elevated at first. I find it helpful to think of moving the chest forward first and then bend the arms. Might be just me though.

• Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

I'm kind of caught up. ;) 

Seal Clap crow, baby crow (ugh..  I'm not flexible enough to get my arms down without using blocks), and headstand crow here:

Eight angle and my sad attempts at the floor taps.  How do you even do that?!  I used blocks to get my knees way up in my armpits, and I still seemed to have too much leg and not enough arm for my feet to reach my arms.  

More sad attempts at one leg crow.  I don't seem to have the core stability to get up there, so I can only kind of do it if I brace my body on my arm, more like scissor pose.  

Also, side crow:

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

36 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

Seal Clap crow, baby crow (ugh..  I'm not flexible enough to get my arms down without using blocks), and headstand crow here:

Eight angle and my sad attempts at the floor taps.  How do you even do that?!  I used blocks to get my knees way up in my armpits, and I still seemed to have too much leg and not enough arm for my feet to reach my arms.  

More sad attempts at one leg crow.  I don't seem to have the core stability to get up there, so I can only kind of do it if I brace my body on my arm, more like scissor pose.  

Also, side crow:

Very nice!  I think I'm going to have to try your trick for baby crow with the blocks under the arms.  I feel like it may help me feel less squished.  I think I also want to try the elbow hook trick you do for side crow.  It looks like it makes positioning for balancing much easier.  :D ...Also I think your second video with the eight angle and floor taps got replaced with a copy of your first video.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

...Also I think your second video with the eight angle and floor taps got replaced with a copy of your first video.   

Fixed, I hope :) 

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

3 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Could you post a video of your attempt?  When I do eight angle, I focus a lot on the ankle cross.  I basically get one leg propped over my upper arm, and then the ankle of the other leg hooks over the ankle of the first leg.  When I'm positioned like this with my butt still on the ground, I lean forward and really squeeze my legs together to get my bottom leg up and off of the ground.  I don't know if any of that made any sense.. ;) 

• Like 2

My tutorials:

38 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

Could you post a video of your attempt?  When I do eight angle, I focus a lot on the ankle cross.  I basically get one leg propped over my upper arm, and then the ankle of the other leg hooks over the ankle of the first leg.  When I'm positioned like this with my butt still on the ground, I lean forward and really squeeze my legs together to get my bottom leg up and off of the ground.  I don't know if any of that made any sense.. ;) 

Definitely helps to see the video of your attempt and read your explanation!  I will try again later tonight and focus on that ankle cross and the leg squeeze...  I think the squeeze is the big part of what I've been missing.  Will probably also try using my upside down pull up bar.  :D Thank you!

7 hours ago, Jlailin said:

but I'm nowhere near as talented as WhiteGhost

It looks like you are probably not as far off as you think.  You have a pretty strong, stable basic crow, so if you can get comfortable leaning forward a bit to get your counterbalance right, you could probably throw out a pretty good flying crow.  I am guessing that it more of a courage thing than a skill thing based on the rest of your stuff.

7 hours ago, Jlailin said:

For me I basically do it the same way as you were doing your side crows, but I just stick my other leg underneath rather than on top and lock ankles before shifting my weight onto my arms

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

5 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Looks really good, especially that eight angle.  Really high and stable!

Level 2 Ninja

I got home from a party and thought I should do some crow but uhhhhh... theyre definitely not easy without an internal equilibrium. 

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

my sentiments exactly! You did amazing @Jlailin

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Can I also say that I'm super happy to see everyone's crows!

Agree and also all the clues and advice are awesome! 

Will try some more again today as well, you all are so inspiring :)

I like how you advanced the headstand into a full headstand plus entry and exit via crow. Will try that myself now and see, who knows, I might even manage :D

12 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Honestly, I surprised myself here too!  I hadn't done crow for maybe a few months, and the last time was pretty shaky--hence my worries.  I suppose the copious dance classes I've taken in between somehow helped with that.  ...and I also didn't post my many, many takes of crowing that included all my face planting. :P 

Best surprises to have :) Yip dance classes will have certainly helped. Good to read about your unposted attempts I also cut out many to never ever show up :D

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I got home from a party and thought I should do some crow

:lol: when I can do sober what you can do drunk, I'll be a very happy crow over here!! Amazing how much coordination you've got yourself entrained to, I mean obviously it'd be harder, but look at you go!!!

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Awesome @Nymeria!!

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I got home from a party and thought I should do some crow but uhhhhh... theyre definitely not easy without an internal equilibrium. 

Bwhaha I actually thought of you as I got home after beers yesterday and how you would still do crows in that state and then I debated whether I should try or not. :P But I ended up down voting myself. For safety reasons. :D 

Beautiful 8-angle Nymeria!
And Raptron's one-leg crow! I waaaaant :lol:

Here is a quick side crow. Not sure it's obvious from the video but my hips are supported by my other elbow.

#1 Crow prep + clapping seal crow

#2 Baby crow – failed crow to baby crow

#3 One-legged crow variation: block support at the bottom or in deep bent arm stand on parallettes

#4 Headstand crow + crow to headstand to crow

#5 Crow taps

#6 Eight-angle

#7 Side crow with hip support

• Like 4

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS