Ye Olde Range Guilde Halle: General Chatter

So I have a bit of a silly question. My doctor wants me to start doing more cardio but my knee isn't up to the strain of running (seriously - 15+ minutes of running and I'm hobbling for the next day or two) and I don't have a bike. Any suggestions? So far all I can think of is power walking or jumping jacks out the wazoo. 

Kettlebell swings?
  • Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

37 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Kettlebell swings?

KB swings are awesome cardio. maybe also walking on hills, or rucking edit to add

any type of circuit work, where you do a bunch of exercises in a row without rest 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, Atrytone said:

So I have a bit of a silly question. My doctor wants me to start doing more cardio but my knee isn't up to the strain of running (seriously - 15+ minutes of running and I'm hobbling for the next day or two) and I don't have a bike. Any suggestions? So far all I can think of is power walking or jumping jacks out the wazoo. 

Water aerobics!  I know everyone tends to think of old ladies randomly splashing around in a pool when water aerobics is mentioned, but honestly it can be a great workout.  It's low impact and super easy to scale (which is why lots of old ladies do it, but it can also easily be really intense if you put in the effort).  I think it's a lot of fun.  If you can find an Aqua Zumba class, that's even better, because you know it'll have good music. :)

• Like 1

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

9 hours ago, Morag said:

Swimming? Rucking?

8 hours ago, shaar said:

I second swimming!  I don't know if jump rope would be too high-impact for you but that always kills me cardio-wise??

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Kettlebell swings?

8 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

KB swings are awesome cardio. maybe also walking on hills, or rucking edit to add

any type of circuit work, where you do a bunch of exercises in a row without rest 

7 hours ago, Elennare said:

Water aerobics!  I know everyone tends to think of old ladies randomly splashing around in a pool when water aerobics is mentioned, but honestly it can be a great workout.  It's low impact and super easy to scale (which is why lots of old ladies do it, but it can also easily be really intense if you put in the effort).  I think it's a lot of fun.  If you can find an Aqua Zumba class, that's even better, because you know it'll have good music. :)

• I will look into swimming or a water aerobics course but I'm not a strong swimmer overall so this might not be the exercise for me.
  • Rucking is something I've certainly considered in the past so maybe I'll make an actual go at it. 
  • I'm actually strongly considering jump rope because I can mostly use my good leg and it seems to be one of the cheapest, easiest options.
  • Kettlebell swings are something I'll have to look into.
  • Circuit work also sounds cheap and easy so I'll add it to the top of the list with jump rope.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

• Like 3

Starting Weight:     220lbs

Current Weight:     230lbs

Goal Weight:            150lbs

Reboot 2: Perfectionism Horse

Reboot 1: Charity Masquerade Wheel II Wheel Triumphant Present Stumbles

Past Challenges: 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

On 2018-06-21 at 5:28 PM, Atrytone said:

I will look into swimming or a water aerobics course but I'm not a strong swimmer overall so this might not be the exercise for me.

I did a drop-in water aerobics course and had no trouble as a person whose swimming skills are basically 1. Keep my head above water and 2. Get from point A to point B over the length of a typical rec centre pool. Often they are held in a section of the pool where you could be standing with your head above water if you choose. Many use “weights” that are buoyant, so when you’re trying to do a move where all your limbs are busy in the water, that flotation is helping keep your head up too. 

But don’t knock power walking just because it sounds silly! In terms of overall life expectancy and disease resistance, walking is as good as running. Obvs not for strength, endurance, or weight loss, but if it’s your doctor asking...

I don’t know your story, so is the knee thing new or have you been dealing with it for a while?  I’ve had a knee problem in the past and went to a sports physio who had me doing exercises to strengthen my hips and smaller gluteal muscles that helped a ton and made it so I could run again. 

• Like 1

Best home remedies (or products that are reasonably priced) for dealing with a bit of a flea infestation. GO! They are definitely in the furniture, but thankfully we have no carpet.  We have meds for the pups already as well.

My current option...

giphy.gif

• Sad 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Yup, what Sloth says. Flea spray on all soft furnishings - wash all bedding and cushion covers, hoover hoover hoover. 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

21 hours ago, Radost said:

I did a drop-in water aerobics course and had no trouble as a person whose swimming skills are basically 1. Keep my head above water and 2. Get from point A to point B over the length of a typical rec centre pool. Often they are held in a section of the pool where you could be standing with your head above water if you choose. Many use “weights” that are buoyant, so when you’re trying to do a move where all your limbs are busy in the water, that flotation is helping keep your head up too. 

But don’t knock power walking just because it sounds silly! In terms of overall life expectancy and disease resistance, walking is as good as running. Obvs not for strength, endurance, or weight loss, but if it’s your doctor asking...

I don’t know your story, so is the knee thing new or have you been dealing with it for a while?  I’ve had a knee problem in the past and went to a sports physio who had me doing exercises to strengthen my hips and smaller gluteal muscles that helped a ton and made it so I could run again. 

Yeah, water aerobics sound more doable than swimming. 

My doctor is recommending it for anxiety. I've recently started getting treatment. Physically I'm good. My knee is an inherited condition. Both my dad and grandpa had to have bone chips removed from their knees in their life. I don't know if that's my issue as well or if it's just something I built up in my head but I do know that my knee acts up if I hold it in one position for too long or participate in any jarring activities - like jogging or running. If I walk a LOT it's a little sore the next day but not nearly on the same level. It's been like this for at least a decade.

• Like 1

Starting Weight:     220lbs

Current Weight:     230lbs

Goal Weight:            150lbs

Reboot 2: Perfectionism Horse

Reboot 1: Charity Masquerade Wheel II Wheel Triumphant Present Stumbles

Past Challenges: 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

30 minutes ago, Atrytone said:

Yeah, water aerobics sound more doable than swimming. 

My doctor is recommending it for anxiety. I've recently started getting treatment. Physically I'm good. My knee is an inherited condition. Both my dad and grandpa had to have bone chips removed from their knees in their life. I don't know if that's my issue as well or if it's just something I built up in my head but I do know that my knee acts up if I hold it in one position for too long or participate in any jarring activities - like jogging or running. If I walk a LOT it's a little sore the next day but not nearly on the same level. It's been like this for at least a decade.

Ah, gotcha. Well, it’s nice to get an inheritance...?  Glad it’s not something acute/unexpected. 

For anxiety I find walking to be the next best thing to running for me. The water aerobics class was too loud and sporadic to take me to the place where I can relax. I finally figured out why while listening to a podcast about meditation where one person was talking about meditating during his walk to and from work - allowing his thoughts to drift but constantly returning to the sensation of feet hitting the ground and breath going in and out just the way you might while sitting in a more traditional practice. But there’s the immediate mental effect of doing a repetitive motion you enjoy and then there’s the physical benefits of having a more efficient circulatory system which I understand also improves mental health generally. So water aerobics!

• Like 2