Miserable yoga [May 28-June 24 2018!!]

This challenge is modified from the very popular “Beer Yoga” PvP…that I think was originally developed by MaxCurtis and Apflestrudi. I think it was then carried on by Nymeria and perhaps others. Here are the rules this time around:

Read the rules carefully! Please only do exercises that are at your level! 

How it works:

Basically, it's a type of twister game, only instead of spinning the colour-wheel, you roll dice and instead of the twister mat, you do a yoga pose.

- Use a dice generator/use a d100 die and roll once. (For example this one: http://www.rangen.co.uk/misc/dicegen.php )

- Go to the PvP spreadsheet, look up the number you rolled. You might have one of a variety of reactions:

·         Oh I’m a pro at this: Good for you. Put a frown on your face and prove it!

·         I know that pose and kind of hate it: Even better! You won’t have to fake misery.

·         That’s ridiculous, I can’t do that!: Figure out an easier version or do your best. (That’s about 75% of the poses for me….scale it as much as you want, totally legit)

·         I can’t do that pose, I don’t know how to scale it, and I’m afraid I might get hurt: Roll again. Don't get hurt.

To “reserve” the pose, write your name on the spreadsheet and color it in yellow.  This means you haven’t done it yet, but you will in the next couple of days. You can only reserve one pose at a time.

Figure out what you want to do to make the pose “miserable”. It’s 100% up to you. It could be something about your surroundings, the look on your face, your clothing, the pose itself. If you want some inspiration, take a look at the thread from last year.

Give evidence (picture or video, whatever you're comfortable with…even a drawing or detailed description if you really don’t want to post a picture)

Obviously taking a picture while doing yoga is challenging. Last time I usually tried setting up my camera on a timer. Some people had a friend do it. Obviously, poorly executed yoga selfies could be miserable in their own right.

After you complete the pose and post a picture, change the color on the spreadsheet to green

The PvP is loosely turn-based. There will be no set order to allow people to come in whenever they want, but once you've had your turn, you have to wait for at least one person do strike a pose before you can turn again. (You can reserve another one but wait before posting).

Each pose can only be done once. If you roll a number that's been rolled before, roll again! (unless we reach 100 super quick, then starts all over again in the next column!)

I checked some but not all the links to pictures of the poses. If you find one that is broken, you can PM me to fix it and/or use your own google magic to figure out what the pose traditionally looks like.

I know it says May 28, but you can start whenever you want! Who am I to stand in the way of misery??

• Like 6

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Oddly my first two rolls were the same as WhiteGhost's and Raxie's, but the third time was the charm!

how about it @Charlie_Quinn @Jarric (give us some post OCR misery??)

still around @suzyQlou?

I remember @Elastigirl had some great ones cooped up in her closet and whatnot.

Come one come all!

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Sounds like fun.

*rolls*

...that'll do:

supported-shoulderstand-yoga-asana-beaut

• Like 2

Level 21 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 16  -  CON: 22  -  CHA: 9  -  SAN: 19 -  INT: 17

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Downtime

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 67 68 69 70 71

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map - 2022 road map/wrap-up

AHH! So excited!!! What a brilliant brains you have, @Xena

*not to sound all hannibal lector

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

On 5/22/2018 at 12:16 PM, ladyofthebog said:

AHH! So excited!!! What a brilliant brains you have, @Xena

*not to sound all hannibal lector

tee hee

And welcome!!

I'm going on a trail run Sunday with a friend. It promises to be muddy and hilly and almost certainly a little miserable. I'll mix in a little yoga and beg my friend to play photographer :-)

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

On 5/21/2018 at 2:23 PM, Raxie said:

Yaaassss so exicted! I am ready!!!

::rolls die::

::looks up pose::

littlethunderbolt-56aa41443df78cf772aed5

...wait wut?

My body is not ready. Let the misery begin!

So I was thinking about this a little. Various suggestions:

1. Instead of a photo draw a picture (stick figures fine) showing how crazy miserable it would be to do this.

2. Substitute camel or a camel modification (e.g., hands on hips rather than reaching ankles). It would certainly be part of the progression toward this pose.

3. Do a chair-supported version like this (being careful of your neck for sure):

image.png.2da5b76065243b34691439f70b846567.png

4. Pick a different pose.

5. Keep working on it for several years until you can do the actual perfect pose (although maybe you can now...I'm just projecting here).

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

Let the fun begin...  Big Toe pose?  Its a maybe.  i know I can do parts of it but I'm not sure I can put it all together. I might looks like a fish out of water trying to do this one!!!  

https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/strengthen-your-abdominals-as-you-move-step-by-step-into-ubhaya-padangusthasana#gid=ci0221079f70002450&pid=yogapedia-plow

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid - Do all the things and lots of BJJ

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Terra turns 50?!?!?

I'm in!!!!!  

Extended Puppy pose --- yea!  Although I will be miserable because it works my (usually too tight) shoulders.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Ok y'all. I forgot to do this when I was out on the miserable rocky trail. So I decided to play "floor's lava" (did you guys do that as kids??? It would indeed be miserable if it were true) and do side angle on my couch. Kind of weird holding the pose on the cushions while waiting for the self-timer! The facial expression is supposed to be something like "oh no! Lava!!!"

gSALjSw.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Oct/Nov 2016

So ... horse face pose. Yay, balance, my favorite </sarcasm>

No, truly, I can actually get into this pose. After a fashion. So to speak.

Miserably, though, my phone camera timer only goes to 10 seconds, and this is NOT a pose that I can assume QUICKLY. So in lieu of an actual photo of me actually in the actual pose, please enjoy these miserable photos of me in all the various stages of how far I CAN get in that timeframe. 

• Like 6

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

5 hours ago, Gemma said:

Miserably, though, my phone camera timer only goes to 10 seconds, and this is NOT a pose that I can assume QUICKLY. So in lieu of an actual photo of me actually in the actual pose, please enjoy these miserable photos of me in all the various stages of how far I CAN get in that timeframe. 

....ahh yes, the race to the self timer. And oldie but goodie :-)

3 hours ago, Devyn said:

everything in my body wants to never do any yoga ever again. So I'll do this.

that's the spirit!!

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

On 28/5/2018 at 10:41 PM, Devyn said:

Ooh I'm totes up for this. But I just finished my 200hr yoga teacher training and everything in my body wants to never do any yoga ever again. So I'll do this. 

Where did you go for your YTT?

On 28/5/2018 at 9:05 PM, Gemma said:

So ... horse face pose. Yay, balance, my favorite </sarcasm>

No, truly, I can actually get into this pose. After a fashion. So to speak.

I record a video and then screenshot it after, after so much trouble

doing the same 

• Like 1

Be like water my friend

8 hours ago, Norgaard said:

Where did you go for your YTT?

The Yoga Institute. Taught by Lex Gillan - one of the Old School guys - first to open up a public studio in America. It was an interesting ride and super intensive.

• Like 1

Level 17 Half Kender Assassin
XP 1700

1 hour ago, Devyn said:

The Yoga Institute. Taught by Lex Gillan - one of the Old School guys - first to open up a public studio in America. It was an interesting ride and super intensive.

nice! im going to India later this year for a 200Hour, im equally scared and excited!

• Like 1

Be like water my friend