JonFirestar: Determination and Consistancy

Determination is more important than motivation. 

Consistency is more important than hype.

My creative brain seems to be on vacation so no theme. I don't mind though, I need to focus. Last challenge was fun. Exhausting and physically demanding but I had so much fun with the NF meet-ups and crazy OCRs that went along with them. I finally have a challenge where things will be mostly returning to normal and I need to take advantage of that to forge some consistency into my routine. 

So here is the deal. My A race for the year is coming up in less than 9 weeks! A 28 mile (making it an ultra marathon) race in the Lake District in the North of England, with some 3000, feet of elevation and stunning scenery: 

Spoiler

This is by far the hardest running challenge I've ever undertaken but I've had a massive boost to my confidence off fo the back of a 20 mile OCR. There is still a lot of work that needs to happen to get me ready and I am going to take advantage of the relative calm of the next 5 weeks to get work done! 

Food is Fuel, Not Emotional Support

I struggle with food. I've lost a ton of weight but I have a lot left to use. The simple fact here is every pound that I drop before I run that marathon is a pound that I don't have to lug around for 28 miles! So there is going to be a focus on keeping a modest calorie deficit for the coming challenge. The good news is that I can get away with eating a lot of food and maintain that deficit. I'm aiming for 2900 to 3000 calories per day. I won't adjust that for rest days (cause I don't take that many and I think that having my rest day also be a calorie surplus day is not a bad thing). 

I'm otherwise aiming to be quite strict with it. I don't really care where the calories come from because I like to eat and make fresh and wholesome food anyway. 

Run! 

Simple goal here. Run. A lot I have a program that has me running 4 times a week with a ton of hill work (because mountain ultra marathon and all that). For anyone who is curious the plan can be found here: http://www.brutalevents.co.uk/MMM_16wk_plan.pdf and I'm currently starting Week 8.  Weeks 6 and 7 didn't happen to plan  because of my crazy OCR schedule but I made what I believe are suitable adjustments. For a first time in a while I feel like I'm actually making decent progress on this plan. 

Lift!

I've been neglecting strength work for a while. This has become horribly apparent when I am doing OCRs. I'm struggling with heavy carries and lifts where I didn't before and finding things I struggled with (like walls) even harder. I'm going to he hitting the gym 3 days per week for strength work. Some of the time will be dedicated to power-lifting type training for raw strength and some of the work on more functional type training with some real sport specific work towards OCR. I have a ton of Spartan Races coming up later in the year and I don't want to repeat the dire performance of my first! 

Financial Kung Fu! 

May was an expensive Month. June is also going to be expensive. I have a lot of goals and I need cash to pull many of them off. This goal is rather simple: No frivolous spending. None. Zero. Things required will be listed in my final goal but everything else is a no go. That means.  Buy no coffee on the way to work or at lunch (if I go out with someone and happen to end up at a coffee shop, that's okay. My vice here is to grab something before work). No buying snacks. No video games (I have more than enough to play though, I don't need new ones right now). Protein bars are expensive, stick to one per work day. 

Every day without frivolous spending will be recorded. Each infraction reported in full. 

ToDo List: 

This is just a list of things that need to happen this challenge. The time limit is the 5 weeks. 

• buy new trail shoes for MvL
  • book hotel for Scotland trip
  • buy plane tickets for Scotland trip
  • buy up all my required gear for MvL
  • Figure out how to pack and run with said gear
  • Sign up for OCRW (figure out what events I can realistically do based on finances)
  • work out if I can make my remaining holiday allowance work for this year or if I need to get more (the deadline for this is in 2 weeks but I'm erring on the side of,  make what I've got work because of the financial cost of acquiring more.)
  • checkout new gym
  • make sure you only pay for 1 membership! 

• Like 14

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

13 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

My creative brain seems to be on vacation

Maybe it fell out on that 7 meter drop :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Maybe it fell out on that 7 meter drop :P

I'm sure it'll find it's way home. It can be a bit slow so it might take a while! 

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

16 minutes ago, Salinger said:

HERE JON! you are amazing and i cant wait to follow you along again x

And I am happy that you are here Lizz! There is going to be much running for the both of us. Let's try and keep each other in check! 

• Like 3

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Determination is more important than motivation. 

I love this. Sounds like a solid challenge ahead!

• Like 3

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

I want you to know I just sat here and stared at all the races in your signature with a kind of horrified awe......... like...... are you a machine??  For real?!!?

*suspicious but also v. impressed*

• Like 5

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

Following, hoping once again that I can share in some of your determination and consistency.. and that I can keep up with your challenge. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I love this. Sounds like a solid challenge ahead!

Let's hope so. Not that I'd take last challenge back for anything but my last couple have been a little lacklustre in the goals department. I'm really hoping to put my head down and grind out some real work in this one! 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following so I can watch the challenge get progressively harder and harder to stay current on.

My creativity brain is still on hiatus and is unfortunately able to come back with good joke :( 

1 hour ago, shaar said:

I want you to know I just sat here and stared at all the races in your signature with a kind of horrified awe......... like...... are you a machine??  For real?!!?

I can neither confirm or deny machine status but I did pass my Turing test! To be fair about half the races are done already and we've not yet established if the remaining races are going to kill me ;) 

36 minutes ago, Shello said:

Following, hoping once again that I can share in some of your determination and consistency.. and that I can keep up with your challenge. 

The aim for this challenge is to simply do the work and own my mistakes. If I'm arguing with myself it means I'm already losing the battle and I do better when I give myself little room to fight back. I'm going to need to ask myself 'how much do I want to achieve my goals' quite a lot this time round. 

• Like 3

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Following along of course!

Of course, of course. I'm happy to have you Maigs! 

58 minutes ago, deftona said:

Here to follow :)

Hiii! 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Week 0, Monday! 

Let's get this party started! With a rest day :lol: Seriously I'm freaking exhausted. Turns out that running 3 OCRs in 4 weeks can leave you a little tired and achy. Ouch. I spent most of Sunday in bed, and a significant amount of that napping a way. I went to bed earlyish but I'm still feeling really beat and beat up. So I've decided to do what I detailed as Plan B on my last challenge and take week 0 as a run only week. I'll be following week 8 of my program. I'm joggling up my days a little bit to fit better with when I start lifting which means tomorrow is my 'hill repeat day' the program has a steady run with hill repeats if feeling rested. I want to do the run and maybe 4 or 5 repeats. Just to keep skin in the game. 

Work was good today except for an outage that caused a minor international incident. I managed to make myself star of the show by poking around in the dark until I found the right thing to turn off. Yay me (not totally true I knew where to look but I did take a little bit of a brute force approach because I knew it would be faster). I was accused of ESP by my bosses boss, which isn't a bad thing :D 

Food is Fuel, Not Emotional Support

2652 calories. Low on my own scale but it was a rest day and I'm feeling quite satiated tonight so I'm going to leave it at that! There is going to be a lot of running tomorrow and that will drive up my appetite. 

Run! 

Rest day.

Lift!

Will begin next week.

Financial Kung Fu! 

Spent no money! 

ToDo List: 

Much of this stuff is waiting on pay day on Friday. I need to add another one though : check out the gym closer to home. Sign up for the 10 day trial that I got from them and test the waters. I'll switch over to this gym if it meets expectations. Cancel the gym membership for either the old gym or new gym before the trial expires. I'm excited to try this gym so I'm going to do this next week. 

• Like 5

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

9 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

This is by far the hardest running challenge I've ever undertaken but I've had a massive boost to my confidence off fo the back of a 20 mile OCR.

Ohboyohboy! I'm so excited for you J!! Yes, this is gonna be a difficult challenge, but, YES, you are a badass. ;) 

9 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Figure out how to pack and run with said gear

maybe add in some rucking days this challenge? Just to get used to the extra load? You needn't go super heavy, though. How much will said gear weigh give or take?

29 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm excited to try this gym so I'm going to do this next week.

Shopping new gyms can be fun! i hope it exceeds your expectations, brother!

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

4 minutes ago, Wolfpool said:

maybe add in some rucking days this challenge? Just to get used to the extra load? You needn't go super heavy, though. How much will said gear weigh give or take?

I don't know I've not got the kit yet :D the mandatory kit list isn't huge. You are looking at about 6lbs for the food and water alone and maybe another 10 - 15 for the rest of the gear. The bigger challenge will be packing it all into my running vest in a manner that still makes running possible. I'm going to be loading up the pack and running with it on all of my long runs from here on out but I might start adding some extra weight to my work bag and taking it rucking on my lunch break. That actually seems like a decent idea. I'm also going to add some heavy carries as part of my lifting routine. I'm really looking ahead towards the Spartans in September but I'll definitely make some of those days into heavy rucking days. 

12 minutes ago, Wolfpool said:

Shopping new gyms can be fun! i hope it exceeds your expectations, brother!

On paper the gym is perfect. It's just as cheap as my current gym but with an upgrade option for swimming if I want to take it. It's near to home rather than near to work, which should stop me form skipping out on days when I'm not working and it's got all sorts of wonderful equipment that'll make training specifically for OCR and Spartan much easier (not least monkey bars). The real question for me is if it'll be packed full at 6:15amish that I'd aim to be there. Having all the equipment isn't much good if it isn't free to be used. The location is very centralised in town but there are also a butt load of other gyms near by so I'm hopeful it's not too insane. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

So true. Here to watch the consistent greatness!

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

8 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Turns out that running 3 OCRs in 4 weeks can leave you a little tired and achy.

I was wondering about that, good thing you went and did the experiment to make sure

FOR SCIENCE!!!

• Haha 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That race looks like a lot of fun, but it needs more slides.

Agreed! Although, it might be for the best since I won't have @Rhovaniel to hold my hand down them this time! 

11 hours ago, jstanlick said:

So true. Here to watch the consistent greatness!

Thanks! I'll do my best to live up to that! 

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I was wondering about that, good thing you went and did the experiment to make sure

FOR SCIENCE!!!

Oh I scienced the heck out of that one! 

For+science_3cf7fb_4751731.jpg

• Like 5

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

stalking k-pop GIF

I hope that gym works out for you, it sounds perfect. 

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

stalking k-pop GIF

I hope that gym works out for you, it sounds perfect. 

It sounds almost too good to be true, which is why I'm so apprehensive about it. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Week 0, Monday! 

Let's get this party started! With a rest day :lol: Seriously I'm freaking exhausted. Turns out that running 3 OCRs in 4 weeks can leave you a little tired and achy. Ouch. I spent most of Sunday in bed, and a significant amount of that napping a way.

Hmmmm.... ya think??? XD  You totally deserve a nap day!!

Oh man good luck with that gym, the pool sounds like a big plus, but you're totally right it's all about the crowds and time of day...

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."