Hello everyone! I'm going to do an extended summer challenge in this thread that will run for roughly 7 weeks. This will include prep week, the four week challenge, and the two week summer vacation that the nerd fitness forums have planned. It feels a bit nostalgic for the old days of nerd fitness when we did six week challenges on these forums.

I'm a thirty something single woman with a cat named Dragon. There's a lot going on in my life currently in terms of my mental health and recovery, and it can all feel pretty intense and heavy. I've decided to make my next challenged centered on something that I can always use more of in my life... PLAY!

I don't intend to have any rigid goals, but will post regularly with my experiences and experiments in several domains of life. More may open up as we go along, but currently I'm thinking about these areas. Annyshay plays with her movement, food, friends, and imagination. Music, gifs, and other shenanigans as well as really intense and/or nerdy discussion is always encouraged and appreciated.

Let's play!

tenor.gif

• Like 12

Love as thou wilt.

Annyshay Plays with Her...

Movement

Last challenge, I made a big mental shift from trying to prescribe my movement to just being open to what my body wanted to do in the moment. This has ironically led to me choosing to move more often. I often remind myself that there's no force needed. My movement patterns don't have to look a particular way. The important thing is to move. Along these lines, I started listening to Katy Bowman's podcast and bought her book Move Your DNA. I'm sure that there will be lots of things to play with in both of those, so things are unlikely to get stale. I want to make sure that I walk outside for 5 minutes at least each day, preferably barefoot. This is a habit that I want to build for my entire life. The rest of my movement will likely combine all sorts of interesting, playful things.

Food

My relationship with food has been very strained for most of my life. Over the last two years, I've been working to heal that relationship with intentional, intuitive eating. I work with a health coach, Amy Clover, who I originally met at a workshop called Emotional Eating at Camp Nerd Fitness 2016. I spent most of 2017 working through her Intentional Eating program and getting real about a lot of the emotional pain and mental health issues that I was using eating to cope with. I gave up dieting. I read Intuitive Eating. I've gained a ton of weight. I've never felt more comfortable in my body or around food.

I'm opening up to the idea of reintroducing gentle nutrition into my life. It will help me to have support here, so that I don't swing back in to the diet mentality or the perfectionist impulses that I've had in the past. I want to play around with how I eat without trying to control how I eat, if that makes sense. A lot of folks on the forums are playing with this way of eating, so I may work back through the book Intuitive Eating and try to dig deeper into some of the concepts contained therein.

Friends

Depression leads me to isolate myself FAR TOO OFTEN. I realized this year that I don't want to do that any more. I've been aggressively building support systems despite my anxiety around a lot of social interactions. I'm playing with the balance of socializing and honoring my need to recharge my batteries. Depending on how this goes, I may start playing with meeting new groups of people and eventually dating. We're playing around here. No pressure and no prescriptions!

Imagination

This is the broadest category for me, but I want a place to continue talking about my recovery process and writing and gaming and maybe music if I am struck with the urge to pick up my flute or guitar. So, we'll keep this category open and imaginative. :D

• Like 13

Love as thou wilt.

Hi! Openly following along this time (as opposed to the stealth following from last challenge) :)

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

It's been a good morning so far. I woke up fairly easily with my sunrise alarm clock. I did my morning blessing and read from my devotional book Bread for the Day. I got up and fed Dragon, who miraculously hadn't started howling in demand of sustenance yet. I did my morning hygiene and then decided to do a couple of sun salutations. My back and hamstrings were so stiff, but this felt marvelous. I then came to the computer to be surprised with new challenge forums. Thanks Guild Leaders, you guys are really making this overly prepared nerd happy!!! I can't decide if I want to go take a barefoot walk now or later. There's a lot of work that needs to happen this morning before a meeting with a statistician for my research (woo hoo, progress), so I may save it as a break for the prolonged sitting to come. I am wondering if I may post more often this challenge with random little updates like this, but no promises because things get crazy pretty quickly. Still, you nerds seem to like reading about what I get up to. ;)

• Like 8

Love as thou wilt.

8 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Thanks Guild Leaders, you guys are really making this overly prepared nerd happy!!

While I appreciate looking like this awesome person, it's NF staff that gets the forums up. Brittany does a great job of being on top of this (except once, when she was on vacation)! I did pass along your thanks on FB though!

57 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Friends

Depression leads me to isolate myself FAR TOO OFTEN. I realized this year that I don't want to do that any more. I've been aggressively building support systems despite my anxiety around a lot of social interactions. I'm playing with the balance of socializing and honoring my need to recharge my batteries. Depending on how this goes, I may start playing with meeting new groups of people and eventually dating. We're playing around here. No pressure and no prescriptions!

I have this conversation with another forum member (who is currently away) about this exact same thing pretty regularly! I know she struggles with knowing she needs to reach out because she's isolating and not wanting to "bother" people (even though she's obviously not a bother). I can't wait to see how well you do with this one!

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

While I appreciate looking like this awesome person, it's NF staff that gets the forums up. Brittany does a great job of being on top of this (except once, when she was on vacation)! I did pass along your thanks on FB though!

I have this conversation with another forum member (who is currently away) about this exact same thing pretty regularly! I know she struggles with knowing she needs to reach out because she's isolating and not wanting to "bother" people (even though she's obviously not a bother). I can't wait to see how well you do with this one!

Yay Brittany!!!! 

Friends and socializing are hard, yo.

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Following along. I was told there should be gifs.

Image result for stalking gif

Image result for stalking gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I love everything about your challenge goals! Playing is a wonderful thing to do. I don't think anyone should ever outgrow it, and if for some reason we did because someone(s) made us feel like we had no choice, it's never too late to start again. I will be cheerfully following and quietly envying the barefoot walks. (The fire ants are so bad here right now it is impossible to take two steps in the grass without getting zapped.) It's so good for physical and mental health, and Imma go all Druidy here for a sec and say it's great for balancing your energy, too!

• Like 3

Challenges: 123

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Food

My relationship with food has been very strained for most of my life. Over the last two years, I've been working to heal that relationship with intentional, intuitive eating. I work with a health coach, Amy Clover, who I originally met at a workshop called Emotional Eating at Camp Nerd Fitness 2016. I spent most of 2017 working through her Intentional Eating program and getting real about a lot of the emotional pain and mental health issues that I was using eating to cope with. I gave up dieting. I read Intuitive Eating. I've gained a ton of weight. I've never felt more comfortable in my body or around food.

I'm opening up to the idea of reintroducing gentle nutrition into my life. It will help me to have support here, so that I don't swing back in to the diet mentality or the perfectionist impulses that I've had in the past. I want to play around with how I eat without trying to control how I eat, if that makes sense. A lot of folks on the forums are playing with this way of eating, so I may work back through the book Intuitive Eating and try to dig deeper into some of the concepts contained therein.

I relate to this so much. I committed to absolutely no dieting for 2017 and it was one of the best decisions I made last year (I have also struggled with a terrible relationship with food for most my life). It is so hard to find that balance, though, between eating healthy but not eating TOO healthy/obsessing, but it is worth the effort. Way to go on your progress so far!

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 10 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

I am wondering if I may post more often this challenge with random little updates like this, but no promises because things get crazy pretty quickly. Still, you nerds seem to like reading about what I get up to. ;)

Guilty as charged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

4 hours ago, annyshay said:

Along these lines, I started listening to Katy Bowman's podcast and bought her book Move Your DNA.

Attagirl!

I am wondering if I may post more often this challenge with random little updates like this

Try it out. Maybe it'll help.

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

wroteI love Katy Bowman!

She actually lives in my state. Last Sunday a fitness writer for a local paper wrote about going  on a 20 mile walk with her.

https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/how-to-make-a-long-walk-short-work/

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

4 hours ago, Chant said:

I love everything about your challenge goals! Playing is a wonderful thing to do. I don't think anyone should ever outgrow it, and if for some reason we did because someone(s) made us feel like we had no choice, it's never too late to start again. I will be cheerfully following and quietly envying the barefoot walks. (The fire ants are so bad here right now it is impossible to take two steps in the grass without getting zapped.) It's so good for physical and mental health, and Imma go all Druidy here for a sec and say it's great for balancing your energy, too!

Yes. Yes to all of this.

3 hours ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

I relate to this so much. I committed to absolutely no dieting for 2017 and it was one of the best decisions I made last year (I have also struggled with a terrible relationship with food for most my life). It is so hard to find that balance, though, between eating healthy but not eating TOO healthy/obsessing, but it is worth the effort. Way to go on your progress so far!

Thanks. Any tips on the balance? Hehe.

3 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Guilty as charged.

I knew it! ;)

3 hours ago, Akura said:

Attagirl!

Try it out. Maybe it'll help.

Will do. :loyal:

2 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

You play the flute and the guitar??

Uh. Played is a more accurate description at the moment (also base and marimba). Former band NERD. Medicine eats up all our other talents, sadly.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

wroteI love Katy Bowman!

She actually lives in my state. Last Sunday a fitness writer for a local paper wrote about going  on a 20 mile walk with her.

https://www.seattletimes.com/pacific-nw-magazine/how-to-make-a-long-walk-short-work/

So cool. Will read with interest!

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Uh. Played is a more accurate description at the moment (also base and marimba). Former band NERD. Medicine eats up all our other talents, sadly.

Former band nerd here too.  F horn, trumpet, piano... and adulthood alone has seriously stunted my playing. I can't imagine how much more medicine would eat up; that's part of why I ended up taking other paths.

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Today has been a very full day. I started the morning by sending a few important emails before I got a text message from Mom letting me know that our family's summer house in the Adirondacks would be available 6/6-6/14 just in case I could get off and up there. It turns out that I was able to find a flight with my rewards money and have enough vacation time to head up there. So far, we know that Mom and I will be going. I'm hopeful that my grandparents and my brother might be able to make it up even for some of the time. If not, it will be great to go to the place on earth that feels the most like sanctuary and home to me. Once I got over the elation of that surprise, I got myself together and headed to my hippie co-op to drop off my compost and pick up breakfast (cheesy sausage casserole mmm). I had about an hour at work to prepare before a meeting with a statistician. She didn't have many questions and seems very willing to help with my research, which is great. It only took us 15 minutes to discuss everything. I then finished updating my current data base and went to hand out a few more surveys to potential participants. My office is in a cubicle above the cafeteria and there was a woodwind trio playing today. While lovely, this didn't make it easy to concentrate, so I came home to work remotely.

At home, I took a bit of time to decompress and had a late lunch. It was my easy meal with salmon patty, french fries, broccoli, and butter in my toaster oven. I answered some more emails and then decided to take some time to meditate and do lectio divinia with the devotional for today. The phrase that jumped out at me was "I will sing to the Lord as long as I live" from Psalm 104. :) After my meditation time, I went back to the computer and did some work on reading, literature search, and then preparing for a morning full of meetings tomorrow morning. I decided to order delivery food so that I could keep working a bit later than usual. Dinner was delicious. I listened to Gungor throughout this. Then I played some Stardew Valley. I decided to do some yoga and chose a 26 minute yin yoga practice focusing on the hips and legs at doyogawithme.com. Delicious. Now I'm taking a bit of time to update my nerds online. What an excellent start to the week and the challenge.

In bullet point form...

5/21/2018

- morning blessing

- devotional

- sun salutations

- plans to visit family in a few weeks

- trip to co-op

- kitchen clean up

- made late lunch

- meditation

- lectio divinia

- delivery food for dinner

- Gungor One Wild Life trilogy

- Stardew Valley

- Yin Yoga

- updating here

• Like 8

Love as thou wilt.

Love keeping up with these challenges of yours. <3 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

5/22/2018

- journaling

- reading

- morning blessing

- devotional

- made breakfast

- took a few breaks during meetings

- several short walks

- catching up on the forums

- more journaling

- Stardew Valley

- super low frequency music