Mediaguy99 Rangers into the Darkest Forest

mediaguy99

4 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Beating your buddy is the best. It sounds like a great day all around. 

Especially because he's SUPER competitive....  :P

• Like 3

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

6 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

We need more women at our table.  I think that's common to a lot of D&D tables.  My wife dropped out when our son started crawling, and hasn't wanted to return.  How old is your kiddo?

well, my husband and i rarely play with others which makes it less complicated for scheduling w/ a little one and busy lives. we've been playing like 2 nights a week? he's usually the dm. yeah! more ladies on tables (eer... wait a minute), i agree! i'm trying to get a few of my girlfriends into it but they are so resistant! i don't get it!

14 month old babe! it's such a joy right now. she's so curious and fun and funny and full of love and wonder... sigh...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

14 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

RACE REPORT:  Bolder Boulder 2018

This was the 40th running of the BB.  I've run it just once, which is kind of shameful since it starts less than 2 miles from my front door.  And it's one of the "best" 10K's in the country.  Of course what Runner's World thinks is the "best" and what I like are two totally different things.  But whatever, it's a good race for a road race with 58,000 participants, so this year I figured "Why not?"

I was put in a wave that was a little slow for me, because I hadn't run a qualifying race in a very long time.  So they looked at my most recent training run (on hills and trails, not flat and paved) and put me in the 9:15 min/mi starting wave.  You see with 58,000 runners they start the race in waves of about 200, every minute for several hours, all morning long.  You've got to qualify to get into your "correct" wave. 

I had a strong start (at 7:19AM) and the whole race followed suit.  It's mostly flat, with a tiny uphill grade starting at mile one and going to mile four, then downhill for almost two miles, and uphill for the final 1/3 of a mile.  My times pretty much reflected that--just over 8 for the uphills, just under 8 for the downhills, and 7:40-something for the final sprint, even though it was uphill.  I certainly didn't have much left when I crossed the finish line, but I think I could have pushed it a little bit more (maybe 10%) during miles 2-5.  Whatever, I was pleased with my time, which was 51:26.  Came in 56th out of 343 in my age/gender category, which is great!  I'm super pleased.  Once the race was over there was swag galore.  I pawned my free beer off on my buddy who ran the race in an earlier wave (and I just found out that I beat him, hehehe :) ) got my free chocolate, and headed back home on my bike which I had locked up near the finish line on Friday, but not until I'd jammed as many free "Choco-love" almond- and hazelnut-butter dark chocolate cups into my swag bag... mmm!

Once I got home  my wife wanted to head BACK down to the Boulder Creek Fest, always a good time.  So I put the apprentice on the back of the tandem bike and headed out for my second workout of the day--biking around!  We saw some taiko drummers and an awesome "vocal rock band" called Face:  

A great weekend!  As far as the first day of the challenge goes, I didn't eat my veggies, I ate WAAAAAY too much sugar, and I didn't eat my fiber. It's like I ignored the challenge today because it was race day.  Oh well, tomorrow is another day :)

thats an absolute Awesome finish!  congrats.

I always have this tendency to think; couldn't I have pushed a little harder and gone a few minutes faster?  that's flawed thinking though... perhaps a bigger push meant hitting a wall, and getting wreckt.  there's wisdom in hanging back a little ; until At the end of the race.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

9 hours ago, TGP said:

thats an absolute Awesome finish!  congrats.

I always have this tendency to think; couldn't I have pushed a little harder and gone a few minutes faster?  that's flawed thinking though... perhaps a bigger push meant hitting a wall, and getting wreckt.  there's wisdom in hanging back a little ; until At the end of the race.

Thanks! Yes I’m happy with it. And honestly, today I’m fine with my performance. I mean, I beat my 33 y/o time from 13 years ago. Not bad for an old dude ;) 

• Like 5

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Quick report:

Yesterday I rode my road bike at lunchtime, something I haven't done since I started training for the Bolder Boulder.  Loved it.  Did a slightly abbreviated version of one of my good old lunch rides, about 14 miles in 50 min.  Basically a big square around Boulder.  Hence the name, Boxing Boulder.  Ate my fiber, ate my veggies, kept the sugar down, and all was good in the MG household.  Mrs. MG and I went out to see Deadpool 2 last night, got a babysitter and everything.  Made a mess of popcorn and snuck it into the theatre, and basically had that for dinner, though when I got home there were some leftover stir fry veggies and beef

in the fridge that I finished off.

Today I made my smoothie and I'm drinking it now.  Rode the bike into work, which was good, but I feel basically wobbly and might need to make today more of a rest day.  Unfortunately I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to squeeze in enough workouts this week.  And archery?  hah, not gonna happen.  Too much to do before I head out of town, both at work and at home.  And, to top it off, I got the unfortunate news from the archery pro shop last night that yes indeed, the limbs on my bow are shot.  It'll still shoot, at 53 pounds, but that's maxed out and liable to decrease over time.  

Anyway, it's a good day but my motivation is flagging right now.  Post race doldrums I guess.  Gotta find me a new something or other to train towards... Unfortunately the Train to Hunt Challenge in Wyoming in July that I'd thought about participating in has been CANCELLED :( . Guess there's just trail running, cycling, mountain biking, training for the fall biathlons, etc, etc, etc....

On 5/29/2018 at 2:27 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

You had me at archery, but D&d and a race? I'll stick around!

Glad you're here!

On 5/28/2018 at 10:57 PM, ladyofthebog said:

well, my husband and i rarely play with others which makes it less complicated for scheduling w/ a little one and busy lives. we've been playing like 2 nights a week? he's usually the dm. yeah! more ladies on tables (eer... wait a minute), i agree! i'm trying to get a few of my girlfriends into it but they are so resistant! i don't get it!

14 month old babe! it's such a joy right now. she's so curious and fun and funny and full of love and wonder... sigh...

14 mos is a great age

!  Is it just the two of you playing?  Sounds romantic :)

On 5/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, doctorake said:

Nice job on the run. 

Thank you very much!  It felt good.

• Like 4

Spoiler

Current Challenge

12 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

14 mos is a great age

!  Is it just the two of you playing?  Sounds romantic :)

most nights! we need to get better at a rhythm w/ playing with other people and make sure it happens regularly.

and it is very romantic. we have a lot of fun with it. like how great it is that you grow up and still get to play d&d with your best friend who you also get to make out with? it's like having your cake and eating it too.

• Like 2

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

21 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Anyway, it's a good day but my motivation is flagging right now.  Post race doldrums I guess.  Gotta find me a new something or other to train towards...

^ this. Every year after the half marathon I do... I just kind of get bored all summer and need something to work toward. I feel ya.

• Like 1

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: therealkat :: a witty challenge title appears!

MyFitnessPal || Strava || Endomondo || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay. And I'm on Facebook

On 5/29/2018 at 5:09 PM, mediaguy99 said:

Thanks! Yes I’m happy with it. And honestly, today I’m fine with my performance. I mean, I beat my 33 y/o time from 13 years ago. Not bad for an old dude ;) 

It's always a happy day when you're getting better as you get older!!! Congrats on the run!

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Hey y’all:

phew, at least I’ll make my exercise goals for the week. Got my run in this morning—it was relatively cool at 6:00 am, upper 70’s which I can totally handle. Passed on the sugar and have had two veggies so far (breakfast potatoes don’t count). Sugar was good yesterday too, and I went for a run with Mrs. MG before heading to the airport—all in all a good week!

super busy here in Vegas. Class all day, study tonight, repeat x3. I’ll surface on Tuesday afternoon!  Thanks for your thoughts. 

On 5/30/2018 at 8:38 PM, ladyofthebog said:

... like how great it is that you grow up and still get to play d&d with your best friend who you also get to make out with? it's like having your cake and eating it too.

^^^love that! Made me LOL!

• Like 5

Spoiler

Current Challenge

On 6/5/2018 at 3:42 AM, Salinger said:

Good luck for the rest of the trip! x

Thanks much.

Alas, I failed my certification exam.  Probably by like three questions.  Oh well, I'll take it again in a month and do better, I'm sure.

Meanwhile the conference has been alright, exercise wise, if not food wise.  It's hard to do what you want when staying in hotels and eating the food that's prepared for you off of conference menus that are selected by others.  Not enough veggies, that's for sure, and even though the last hotel I was in had oatmeal every day, the one I'm at for the rest of the trip does not.  

Here's last week's totals:

1.  Run for it: 5/5, including the long run

2.  Banish sugar:  4/5

3.  Fiber:  5/5

4.  Water:  5/5

5.  Archery practice:  Nope, my bow was in the shop, and then I left for Vegas.

6.  Get on the bike:  +1 bonus point, rode twice before leaving for Vegas.

7.  Weights:  Nope.  All the lifting I did this week was mental.

Today I went for a 4.2 mile run on the las vegas strip.  Lots of stairs, since they built pedestrian overpasses to get over the main intersections, and there were even two places where I actually had to run through a building to get back to the sidewalk. 

It's weird here.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Current Challenge

3 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Today I went for a 4.2 mile run on the las vegas strip.  Lots of stairs, since they built pedestrian overpasses to get over the main intersections, and there were even two places where I actually had to run through a building to get back to the sidewalk. 

Getting a run in while still in Vegas? That's a big win right there!

3 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Meanwhile the conference has been alright, exercise wise, if not food wise.  It's hard to do what you want when staying in hotels and eating the food that's prepared for you off of conference menus that are selected by others.

Don't beat yourself up about the food too much. Sounds like its kind of out of your control on this trip. Do your best and know that you can get things back in ship shape when you get home.

• Like 2

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

OK!

Wow, what a couple of weeks.  Made it through Las Vegas with my goals intact.  Then I got home, unpacked, did laundry, re-packed, and got on a plane for Dallas, spent the night at a crappy motel with my family and woke up the next morning (my birthday!  47 years young...) and got on another plane to Cozumel, Mexico.  The weather was great on Sunday, and Monday was more of the same.  Scheduled my SCUBA dives for the week, eight in all, with one on a wreck, and the rest on the amazing reefs they have down there.  On Tuesday we dove the wreck, which was pretty awesome as we did a penetration and really got to look around inside.  Then, on our way back to port, the weather rolled in.  It started raining and KEPT raining all week, through Sunday.  The family wasn't too excited to be at the beach in a downpour/tropical depression/tropical storm.  For me, my last four dives were alright, but for them, well, there's really nothing great about being stuck in your hotel room while the temps drop and the rain comes down, counting the time between the all-you-can-eat buffets opening and closing.  

I have to say I had a rough time keeping my exercise up, and tracking my sugar intake.  As a matter of fact, I think my sugar got blown out of the water for the past two weeks.  Vegas was hard, and Cozumel was harder.  They didn't have any oatmeal, and while I did have spinach smoothies whenever the smoothie station at the buffet was open, generally breakfast was sweet stuff, lunch included dessert, and dinner would put me over the top.  Not sure what happened but my willpower evaporated. 

I did get my runs in, three during the week, and I'm going to count all the swimming I did as a fourth cardio workout.  Everything else?  Well, all I can say is, "Goals? I have goals?  What's a goal?"  So, at least I'm still working out :) 

Here's the recap for the Vegas week (Jun 3-10):

1.  Run for it: 5/5, including the long run

2.  Banish sugar:  2/5

3.  Fiber:  5/5

5.  Archery practice:  Was in Vegas

6.  Get on the bike:  Nope, because Vegas

7.  Weights:  Yeah, right.  Vegas.

And, Cozumel (Jun 11-17):

1.  Run for it: 5/5 (including swimming one day)

2.  Banish sugar:  0/5 . Birthday cake and all you can eat buffets... what can I say, I'm weak.

3.  Fiber:  2/5

5.  Archery practice:  Nope, Cozumel.

6.  Get on the bike:  Nada

7.  Weights:  Nope.

Got in at 1am Monday morning, and went to work yesterday.  Hopefully today I'll be able to get things back on track.  Started with steel cut oats for breakfast so that's good...

• Like 7

Spoiler

Current Challenge

when your out of your normal way of life, 

then yes

Its just inevitable that your routine will be off.  nonetheless I love the effort to hang in and keep some of it going.  thats huge, that is.

also, keep trying to enjoy what your doing and where you are.

not too often that one can enjoy themselves in Mexico.  Rain is ofc a bit of a bummer... but whatever joy you can squeeze out of it.  

• Like 3

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Happy Birthday!!!

Will power doesn't last for ever and like @TGP said, when you're out of your environment and routine, it's hard to rely on habits. But, you hung in there and are getting back into this week. I have no doubt you'll be able to finish this week/challenge off strong!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

and woke up the next morning (my birthday!  47 years young...)

Happy very belated birthday! :D

2 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

I did get my runs in, three during the week, and I'm going to count all the swimming I did as a fourth cardio workout.

Diving can definitely count as a kind of workout. I remember when Brandt still scuba'ed(?word?), they used to come out ravenous! Do you dive with oxygen or nitrox? I remember the guys could dive longer, but at shallower levels on nitrox. All his diving was here around the South African coast though. I don't know whether international diving places do nitrox as well?

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

happy belated birthday! vegas then cuzomel? dreamy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TGP said:

when your out of your normal way of life, 

then yes

Its just inevitable that your routine will be off.  nonetheless I love the effort to hang in and keep some of it going.  thats huge, that is.

Quoting for emphasis. Give yourself some credit and thanks for the update. Also, happy belated birthday!

• Like 1