Lady of the Bog is Mistborn

2 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

So far, I have Labyrinth (he's never seen it?!!!),

If he likes that i can also recommend the Alice in Wonderland movies (with Johnny Depp an Mia Wasikowski), I'm a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland both the classic cartoon as the Tim Burton movies!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cheshire cat gif

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cheshire cat gif

• Like 3

... a little odd in the head ...

20 hours ago, Terra said:

You mention the author works at BYU, so that has me thinking... 

Yup. Sanderson does work at BYU and when I first discovered the Mistborn series...that segwayed into the Stormlight Archive series...I was able to find teachings of his on YouTube. Some of the videos were lengthy too, so, it was like being in the classroom with him! I think I ended up with like 10 pages of notes over the course of a few videos lol. Why do you think my Division Themed Challenge was so good?? #Sanderson

18 hours ago, Raxie said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to smell babies.  The tops of their heads are the best sniffing spot :)

ME TOO!! Heather is DYING to smell a new baby of our own so I'm praying God blesses us with another chance because I'm dying for that smell too.

10 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

How heavenly!

That's a wonderful pic of your dad and your daughter. She's a cutie ;) 

Wolf

• Like 5

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:43 PM, Mr_Willes said:

You don't eat meat?

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor shocked gif

Is such a thing even possible?

Have you ever eaten it? Or did you just forgot it tastes fantastic?

I'm feeling a bit sad you have to live without the fantastic taste that is called meat...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor bbq steak gif

Just realized, what do you put on a BBQ???

I know! And I lived in Texas for 7 years. If you'd care to enjoy story time, sit down my friends and you shall hear of the tale of the girl who did not eat meat:

Spoiler

First, I stopped eating meat for awhile when as a child my partner in science class ate the cow heart we were dissecting. Then, I was part of 4-h (kind of like future farmers) part of which we raised animals and then brought them to the county fair to be judged and then slaughtered. The slaughtering did not happen. Then, I started eating meat again in high school because I ran track competitively and I needed more juice for the ole' muscles and I sucked at feeding myself. Then, I became a vegetarian again after living in Honduras (on the Miskito coast right outside of the Rio Plantano Biosphere... ie where you have to take a canoe to make it that far into the jungle) providing medical care. There was a family of pigs who lived under my house and I loved them. So, no more animals though I did continue to eat igunas because... well, when in Rome? So, where it stands, I won't eat meat that I didn't kill myself. To be honest, it weirds me out when people eat things that they couldn't imagine killing. I believe in taking responsibility for the death/destruction I inflict, lol.  So, yeah, pro-hunting and homesteading but still a vegetarian. I emote with vegetarian dinosaurs...

• Like 9

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

On 5/31/2018 at 6:49 AM, Wolfpool said:

Yup. Sanderson does work at BYU and when I first discovered the Mistborn series...that segwayed into the Stormlight Archive series...I was able to find teachings of his on YouTube. Some of the videos were lengthy too, so, it was like being in the classroom with him! I think I ended up with like 10 pages of notes over the course of a few videos lol. Why do you think my Division Themed Challenge was so good?? #Sanderson

ME TOO!! Heather is DYING to smell a new baby of our own so I'm praying God blesses us with another chance because I'm dying for that smell too.

That's a wonderful pic of your dad and your daughter. She's a cutie ;)

Wolf

i'm going to have to read this Stormlight series and watch the youtube videos. Very curious to get a better look into his creative mind and process. Oh, how I wish for you the new baby smell! I remember being told, never actually read, when I worked in the nursery that mother's could identify their newborns from smell alone (something like 9/10 in the study). I should probably verify this but I believe it to be true. Rowan smells like hay, sunlight, honey and the forest.

• Like 4

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Mistborn

Burning Iron/Pewter

Found the benefit of joining the Rebellion when it came to pushing iron this week. I couldn't make it to the gym due to scheduling on Friday but I did an intense workout video (80 Day Obsession) and made a point to go to the gym on Sunday. This week is also going to be crazy scheduling (brother in law is having surgery on Wednesday when I usually workout and on Friday, I am going to be going on a scouting mission for recycled materials for the home build). Still, I have a plan (gym Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday w/ workout videos splashed in there).

In terms of lifts, I am basically there on my hip thrust goal (3x10 @ 200 lbs) and my squat (3x3 @ 155 lbs). I am unsure on my bench. I hate doing it to be honest. I find the bar above my chest scary. I did dead lift 175 lbs which is pretty cool considering my body weight.

Burn Steel

I've been doing videos more than running outside lately. I think it's probably just because it is such a bother to try to wrangle the stroller and the dog at the same time.

Lady of the Bog's Courtly Duties/Burn Brass

I failed at my letters this week which sucks because I really want workout slides. Back at it this week.

Been playing D&D with my husband and he's trying to get another campaign together with friends to run biweekly. Should be fun, I'm glad not to be putting it together, TBH. My husband and I are probably having the hardest time in our marriage that we've experienced over the past 10 years of being together. We started dating when we were babies, though we didn't think we were babies of course. It's been a wild ride growing up and sharing your life with someone. Luckily, we've both had some crazy adventures both together on our own. We've packed a lot of adventuring into your lives both before we met and after (he's an anthropologist after all). I'm grateful for meeting him so young but it also comes with its own struggles. It takes changing and growing together. It takes relearning each other as the years go by. I'm glad we are doing the work but, man, it's hard sometimes. So, with that, today I am making him a coupon book for favors, from the mundane like "foot rub at any time of your choosing" and to the more risque. I'm thinking it'll go over well.

Been thinking back on my first challenge, Hobbit Life but Fit, and considering the underlying impulse behind it- to relax and value the relationships in my life... to get rid of the noise and pay attention to what matters in life while also working on the ole' fitness. It reminded me of a podcast I was listening to recently profiling a longitudinal study that found that the best indicator of health and longevity are quality intimate, close relationships. A lot of my life is devoted to my family and friends, few as they may be these days, tbh. I make handmade gifts for those I love, send cards, make food, plan events, when someone gets sick I'm the person who is making soup and bringing over supplies. A lot of my time is focused on my relationships, certainly to a lesser degree than worldly success or $$. Even in my work, my focus in on people and our interactions. As as hospice nurse, heck any nurse, so much of my time is spent forming connections with others. 

This contemplation on my focus on relationships brings up two themes for me

1) how it is shame that the archetype of the hearth keeper or, the person who tends to the home is devalued. The home, family and our relationships are so very important but we don't really take seriously housewives or househusbands.

2) how to manage the balance between taking care of those that I love and taking care of myself.

Burn Durlamin

Do something that scares me- I went to barre class! I quit dance for sports growing up and, as much as I loved ballet, have had a mind-funk about it. I had gift certificates for class from my husband and I've been avoiding going. I did it!

Thank you to all for following along. Appreciate you.

Now into the mist!

• Like 8

My husband and I met when I was 17 and he was 19, we are in our 50's now:) So, yeah, I hear you on that sometimes being difficult. We've both changed so much, and sometimes that is hard to allow the other person to change. And then having a baby, as wonderful as that is, it also changes the relationship and adds stress. Your coupon book is a great idea!

I agree it is important to tend our family and friendships. Relationships matter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

22 hours ago, Rusk said:

f3NCP8f.png

Acknowledging the challenge makes it easier to conquer.  Hang in there :)

top 10 movies of all time for sure for me. and thank you!

42b.jpg

me as a cat

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

My husband and I met when I was 17 and he was 19, we are in our 50's now:) So, yeah, I hear you on that sometimes being difficult. We've both changed so much, and sometimes that is hard to allow the other person to change. And then having a baby, as wonderful as that is, it also changes the relationship and adds stress. Your coupon book is a great idea!

I agree it is important to tend our family and friendships. Relationships matter

thank you for the solidarity and the understanding. it means a lot. i'm trying to lean into the challenges that life offers rather than away and a part of that is sharing the rough parts of the journey. feels good to hear of other people who've been through similar roadways, appreciate you.

tumblr_inline_npu8j1SvRX1sjsyo3_500.gif

the changing is good, it just requires attention and care and love.

• Like 3

Midweek Update Week 2

Lifted again on Tuesday, plan to work out today. I love lifting weights and feeling for a moment like a bada$$. I'm feeling good in my body. I've been working on the diet w/ some *success* and I think it's reduced my belly a bit even if it is just bloating? I'm making a point to limit sweets which has made a world of difference. Probably the biggest change is that I calculated how much water I should be drinking (a lot more than I was) and trying to get it in with some success.

I found the *best* park yesterday right near our house for the Rowbug to play. It's very PNW with rocks and logs to climb on. Her favorite area was a sandy place w/ an artificial stream running through it filled with trucks and pails. Truly magical!

I've been reading a few books about infusing Waldorf-inspired aspects into your household. I don't think we'll go full-fledged Waldorf for education (kind of depends on Rowan's preferences as well) but I am loving the suggestions from Seven Times Around the Sun and Beyond the Rainbow Bridge. My favorite parts are about having rhythms to the day, creative play using simple toys, incorporating songs into the day (I've started playing a goodnight and good morning song on my harp!), a nature table, and just other various things to do with older kiddos like wild walks, a rainy day toy chest, and a pause a day.

Sister had her baby! A HUGE BABY! She's barely 5 feet and the baby weighed 11 pounds 6 ounces at birth. I blame her husband who is 6'3. Little Rowbug was 8 pounds 3 ounces at birth and I thought that was ginormous. I have a likewise ginormous husband (6'5) so maybe that's where all these big babies are coming from. Twas' a hospital birth due to the dystocia but mom and baby are healthy and home now! 

Husband and I had an at home date night and we've been connecting. I think a big part of marriage after kids is coming to terms with the fact that you have to schedule time in for each other... it's a little less spontaneous for now at least.

Will update lifts here and on my battle log when I have more free time!

xxoo

• Like 3

Congrats to your sister I can't even imagine havig a baby that big. I'm just over 5 feet tall ad my son was 8 pounds 6 oz, and I thought that was ginaormous 

The Waldorf ideas sound sweet. Especially you playing a good morning and good night song.

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

(double posted over on my battle log)

Fell over yesterday tripping attempting to vault a baby gait.  I have some pretty sick (in a good way!) bruises to show for it but my knee hurts so I didn't workout yesterday and today I deviated from my usual lifts to do an upper body workout. I've been feeling a little worse for the wear lately. Still, mood is killer and there's been a spate of good happenings lately: healthy niece born last week, successful surgery for my brother in law, and (excite excite!) my friend from college is coming back to live in PDX this July. He's an obsessive dungeon master which bodes well for some righteous gaming coming up. CANNOT WAIT.

Still feeling like I don't have a clear vision for the house build. A lot of it is because I'm committed to recycled materials at least partly so I'm waiting till we find key pieces. Flooring picked out and going w/ marble countertops probably so I have that vision. I think just getting the build done is enough for me now (we have two months). Trusting that it'll come together.

I'm trying to figure out who I am lately. Feels something like adolescence. I like to think of myself as some kind of (aspiring) Valkyrie, bada$$, pool shark, word traveler but these days I spend most of my time hanging out at parks, singing songs, cooking up a storm, and tending to my family. I know I can be both but it's a mind bending for sure. Figuring it out as always.

Writing letters this week. Those darned slides WILL BE MINE

Lifts

Overhead press 3x10 @ 45 lbs

*supersetted w/ arnold curls 3x15 @ 40 lbs

bent over row 3x10 @ 32.5 lbs (one hand)

straight arm pull down 3 x 10 @ 60 lbs

tricep overhead thing 3x 15 @ 20 lbs

• Like 3

Lifts from Sunday

lifted on an empty stomach and it sucked. I felt like I could feel the strength draining from my muscles. BUT I did get it in and I'm glad for that...

Barbell Hip Thrust 2 x 10 (195 lbs)

Strict Standing Db Shoulder Press 3 x 8 (45 lbs)

Back Squat 3 x 10 (110 lbs)

Deadlift 3 x 3 (175 lbs)

bicep curls 3x15 (30 lbs)

Side Lying Hip Raise 3 x 12

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I love the Waldorf concept. I’d need a second or third job to put my kids through school though.

UGH. You are very right mountains of gold for that Waldorf action

My husband was a home school-waldorf hybrid for bit growing up and then he ended up dropping out of high school* so you never know. Didn't jive well w/ him for sure!.

* I get such glee from telling people this because if you know my husband it would seem so improbable. He's a phD and a professor/consultant/general super brain.

me contemplating all the money we would save not doing waldorf for schooling:

img.gif

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Congrats to your sister I can't even imagine havig a baby that big. I'm just over 5 feet tall ad my son was 8 pounds 6 oz, and I thought that was ginaormous 

The Waldorf ideas sound sweet. Especially you playing a good morning and good night song.

Thank you! I do love playing her the harp. Yeah, whenever I see this babe it seems so improbable that he could be so big! Did he continue to be a big baby? I've seen pictures of her husband as a child and he is so delightfully rolly!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

he ended up dropping out of high school* so you never know. Didn't jive well w/ him for sure!.

* I get such glee from telling people this because if you know my husband it would seem so improbable. He's a phD and a professor/consultant/general super brain.

me contemplating all the money we would save not doing waldorf for schooling:

Interesting. So after he dropped out of high school, he must have somehow got his high school diploma, and then decided he wanted to do even more schooling. what made him decide to go back and do enough school to get a PhD and be a professor?

• Like 2

I'm here to represent and co-mingle with the mommas of big babies!  Mine were 8lb 3oz and then 10.5 lb and I'm 5'2".  Not to mention I grew them big babies at high elevation, which should take pounds off their size.   LOL  Of course my oldest just reached the same height as me.  So they aren't babies anymore.  

I love to hear about your house...  

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Winter is Coming

8 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

I like to think of myself as some kind of (aspiring) Valkyrie, bada$$, pool shark, word traveler but these days I spend most of my time hanging out at parks, singing songs, cooking up a storm, and tending to my family. I know I can be both but it's a mind bending for sure. Figuring it out as always.

I love this. This really is the thing to figure out. Maybe add bada$$ to the second list as well and see how that makes you feel. I think it belongs on both, but of course they are your lists :-)

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 6/7/2018 at 10:26 AM, Elastigirl said:

Interesting. So after he dropped out of high school, he must have somehow got his high school diploma, and then decided he wanted to do even more schooling. what made him decide to go back and do enough school to get a PhD and be a professor?

well, he was a bit of anomaly because before he dropped out he was a national debate champion and spent some of the time he dropped out living in japan. he had wanted to be a pilot but was very passionate about studying the way people think. he traveled a lot as a kid (lived in Honduras, Mexico City, studied at Oxford doing a summer program). he got his GED and was then accepted into university eventually. from there, he studied some interesting topics (at one point he attended a bunch of ufo conventions and stayed w/ a group in the mojave desert and believed that if you meditated all night you could connect w/ aliens). as a phD he studies science and technology,  he studied SETI as an off shoot but his work is centered on russian computer science. his original project was on russian AI  but fell through when his grant through the state department wouldn't allow him to do politically sensitive work due to crap relations between the US/Moscow. beautiful mind on that man, for sure.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, Terra said:

I'm here to represent and co-mingle with the mommas of big babies!  Mine were 8lb 3oz and then 10.5 lb and I'm 5'2".  Not to mention I grew them big babies at high elevation, which should take pounds off their size.   LOL  Of course my oldest just reached the same height as me.  So they aren't babies anymore.  

I love to hear about your house...  

BIG BABY BAND of MAMMAS. BBBM. Thank you on the house! I feel like it is kind of crazed and wild right now because there's so much up in the air but I'm sure it'll all get figured out soon enough (ie needs to be). I'll keep you guys updated!

On 6/7/2018 at 6:14 PM, Xena said:

I love this. This really is the thing to figure out. Maybe add bada$$ to the second list as well and see how that makes you feel. I think it belongs on both, but of course they are your lists :-)

This is the best advice I've gotten. I love it!

• Like 3

Friday Night Update: On the Passing of Anthony Bourdain

I learned this morning that Anthony Bourdain committed suicide. I'm not one that a celebrity's death gives me much pause but I find myself thinking about Bourdain, death, loss, and life a lot today. Not to sound trite but I wonder on what it is to live and what it is to die? What it is to be a person and what is in an identity?

We craft our lives and our selves in the minutia as well as the great decisions of our lives. Bourdain lived with panache, verve. We all took notice. And in his death I am reminded that  he was a man, a person, a constellation of vital phenomena, as anthony marra puts it (you should all read him, btw), as much as you or me. These identities we create so furiously to define ourselves ultimately fall. In death, dying (and their iterations in living- sex, dreams, fear), we become essential- that self living behind identity. The trick to living, I'm thinking, is living both as the essential self and the constructed self. 

Also, a poem I was obsessed w/ in high school:

To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time

Gather ye rose-buds while ye may,

Old Time is still a-flying;

And this same flower that smiles today

Tomorrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,

The higher he’s a-getting,

The sooner will his race be run,

And nearer he’s to setting.

That age is best which is the first,

When youth and blood are warmer;

But being spent, the worse, and worst

Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,

And while ye may, go marry;

For having lost but once your prime,

You may forever tarry.

Robert Herrick

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

well, he was a bit of anomaly because before he dropped out he was a national debate champion and spent some of the time he dropped out living in japan. he had wanted to be a pilot but was very passionate about studying the way people think. he traveled a lot as a kid (lived in Honduras, Mexico City, studied at Oxford doing a summer program). he got his GED and was then accepted into university eventually. from there, he studied some interesting topics (at one point he attended a bunch of ufo conventions and stayed w/ a group in the mojave desert and believed that if you meditated all night you could connect w/ aliens). as a phD he studies science and technology,  he studied SETI as an off shoot but his work is centered on russian computer science. his original project was on russian AI  but fell through when his grant through the state department wouldn't allow him to do politically sensitive work due to crap relations between the US/Moscow. beautiful mind on that man, for sure.

What a fascinating life he has led

14 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

Also, a poem I was obsessed w/ in high school:

Did you like the poem in high school? I remember I did when I first read it, but then really disliked it after the teacher discussed it with us. It can be viewed from all different perspectives, but the thing the teacher pointed out was the very different societal views (at the time it was written, but true today) on aging of men and women. I like it from the perspective of "make the most of the time you have" (how I initially read it), but not from the point of "You may be young and hot now and think you can have fun and maybe do better, but don't hold out too long because you'll be past your 'sell by' date soon"

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

22 minutes ago, Xena said:

Did you like the poem in high school? I remember I did when I first read it, but then really disliked it after the teacher discussed it with us. It can be viewed from all different perspectives, but the thing the teacher pointed out was the very different societal views (at the time it was written, but true today) on aging of men and women. I like it from the perspective of "make the most of the time you have" (how I initially read it), but not from the point of "You may be young and hot now and think you can have fun and maybe do better, but don't hold out too long because you'll be past your 'sell by' date soon"

I definitely think it’s the second interpretation (ie old goods) and I still like it, lol! I like the sardonic voice and I like the use of language and the rhythm to it. I like all kinds of destestable things though if they are done well. When it comes to art, poetry particularly, care less about the point and more about the delivery! 

• Like 1