FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

Lady of the Bog is Mistborn

Week 2 Review, Except Not and Instead Blather About Unrelated Happenings

So, this weekend has been nutters. I've been charting for the past three hours and honestly don't want to stare at a screen any longer to give this review a good shot so this is just to say. I'm here, I'll update soon. i'll nowpost a picture of me wearing a dress because I went out at night to a friend's post-wedding return to Portland party (thumbs up good time, though at one point I did announce after I said something awkward, "I don't go out much" but, hey, I lived the night up!).

Below is more blather about life/weekend:

Spoiler

Not only was this been a very busy weekend for work BUT my brother in law is having trouble post-surgery w/ pain and nausea (ended up in the ER on Saturday night for uncontrolled pain- bless my mother in law's heart FOR REAL. They were there from 2-7 am) so I've been going over there as much as possible to provide support and just give him some TLC, one of my husband's BFFs came into town from Seattle, my friend has a wedding celebration shin-dig (ie the dress) and we are leaving for the beach house tomorrow for three days. Unfortunately the weather is rainy so we've pushed back our photo session to July.  Mostly blessings- even in the case of my brother in-law's surgery I'm sad he's having a rough go at it but I am grateful to be close geographically so can be of help.

Geez. Look at that. I have spent more time staring at the screen. I away, I swear!

Thank you to all that read this blather that is unrelated to fitness/goals.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out. Can't imagine it is terribly illuminating/related to relevant interests

IMG_1900.thumb.JPG.e12159a4a8491f1faad53f44d8be7e15.JPG

also, i def cropped out the mess in this pic :D

• Like 3

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

On 6/9/2018 at 5:41 PM, Xena said:

I realized after posting that I had mixed up two poems. I was really thinking more of this one

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44688/to-his-coy-mistress

Though they do have some of the same flavor.

I LOVE THAT POEM TOO! the image of worms/virginity is just too vile and imaginative not to be recorded as one of the best poems of all time. i love the metaphysical poets though. do you like john donne? he's my favorite and i feel like he is much less crass/depraved/etc.

• Like 1

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, Xena said:

Did you like the poem in high school? I remember I did when I first read it, but then really disliked it after the teacher discussed it with us. It can be viewed from all different perspectives, but the thing the teacher pointed out was the very different societal views (at the time it was written, but true today) on aging of men and women. I like it from the perspective of "make the most of the time you have" (how I initially read it), but not from the point of "You may be young and hot now and think you can have fun and maybe do better, but don't hold out too long because you'll be past your 'sell by' date soon"

I had never read it from the second perspective before. I think I will keep looking at as make the most of your time.:)

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 6/9/2018 at 12:11 PM, Salinger said:

Yes im sad about Bourdain too :( lovely words. Hope youre ok today x

yeah, it hit me hard and i'm still processing it. i hope you are okay, too. i give you hug over internet now. good as time as any to remember we're all in this together. reminded of carl sagan and his heart and mind genius:

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

• Like 3

Amazing quote, thanks for sharing. 

Id like to share this one..... “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up.” ― Stephen Hawking. x

• Like 3
20 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

I LOVE THAT POEM TOO! the image of worms/virginity is just too vile and imaginative not to be recorded as one of the best poems of all time. i love the metaphysical poets though. do you like john donne? he's my favorite and i feel like he is much less crass/depraved/etc.

The only thing I remember this

“John Donne, Anne Donne, Undone.”

But I will read some more! Do you have a favorite?

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Oh I thought I commented here already, but apparently it didn't save or I forgot. Glad to have found you :D

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

On 6/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, Salinger said:

Amazing quote, thanks for sharing. 

Id like to share this one..... “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don't just give up.” ― Stephen Hawking. x

i love that and stephen hawking. let's have a star themed back and forth.  my next offering,

"My car is limping, Dolores Haze,
And the last long lap is the hardest,
And I shall be dumped where the weed decays,
And the rest is rust and stardust.”
― Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita
* not so upliftng but darn it is that a beautiful arrangement of words.
On 6/11/2018 at 6:35 PM, Xena said:

The only thing I remember this

“John Donne, Anne Donne, Undone.”

But I will read some more! Do you have a favorite?

gosh, i have so many favorites!e

probably these... though two of them are tied to key life events so it's hard to extricate that from my love of them:

the good morrow

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44104/the-good-morrow

the flea:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46467/the-flea

a valediction forbidding mourning:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44131/a-valediction-forbidding-mourning

On 6/12/2018 at 1:46 AM, Echocheanic said:

Oh I thought I commented here already, but apparently it didn't save or I forgot. Glad to have found you :D

gosh, i'm glad that you found me too! i'll go find you now, too. i'll also be better about updating here. been a cray week for sure.

• Like 3

A Late Week 2 Update and a Midweek Update for Week 3

So I haven't been very good at updating this quest and I feel like I've let the momentum gained from last challenge slack a bit. I'm going to try to reinvigorate my goals and get back it. I've felt like crud for the past few days and I can't figure out why. I've been tired, nauseated, my back has a knot I can't seem to shake  (also, no I am not pregnant!). So, the next few days i'm really going to dial in my self care. I'm going to eat really well, drink a ton of water, do yoga, go to bed early, get the essential oils diffusing all up in here, and let me body rest a bit.

I've spent the last few days on the coast. Oh, how I love the Pacific air. I love having the windows open to hear the crash of the surf and let the sea skimmed breeze in. You'd think that would get my body feeling right but alas I'm just feeling off this week.

There is so much stuff to do with the house build I feel like I am going a little nuts with it. On the plus side, I'm going to be learning a lot about building in the next few months. On the downside, there's a lot of building to be done int he next few months.Just one thing at a time but I feel like I can't get organized. I MUST DO THIS. PLEASE FORCE ME INTO IT WORLD. Flooring getting figured out this week. Soon walls will be going up. I'm just trying to figure out how you're supposed to match your flooring to your cabinets?

Okay, I swore I was going to do a proper challenge but it's going to have to wait till later this night. We have friends coming over who are visiting from Minnesota with their darling little boy and my time to computer is up!

Thank you again for all that follow along. I'm going to try to get back in the ole' rebellion saddle again.

xxoo

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

gosh, i have so many favorites!e

probably these... though two of them are tied to key life events so it's hard to extricate that from my love of them:

the good morrow

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44104/the-good-morrow

the flea:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46467/the-flea

a valediction forbidding mourning:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44131/a-valediction-forbidding-mourning

Thanks so much!! Now that you mention it, I definitely remember "a valediction..."

The cool thing about really great poetry is that it will be tied into your life but it likely will be tied into mine (or whoever's) in a completely different but also meaningful way.

Oct/Nov 2016

2 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

let's have a star themed back and forth.

can I sneak in and join with one favorite? maybe not specifically stars, but I love it.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;

(The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, T.S. Elliot)

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

56 minutes ago, Xena said:

can I sneak in and join with one favorite? maybe not specifically stars, but I love it.

Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;

(The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, T.S. Elliot)

sky is stars enough for me. i love this game. let's keep it up! i think that may be my favorite opening to a poem ever.

• Like 1

Week 2: Mistborn

Burning Iron/Pewter

Didn't feel it this week but I did get my 3 lift days in despite not feeling it. I keep on telling myself just to keep at it.

Burn Steel

2 more workout videos w/o runs. Cardio is very good for my mental health. I need to get out hiking and running more. It seems like that is the first thing to go when I'm busy. I seem to always make the gym a priority but less so is getting out into nature which is a shame because getting out in nature is what really powers me spiritually.

Lady of the Bog's Courtly Duties/Burn Brass

Your girl earned her darned workout slides. Cannot wait to use them. Writing these letters is good for me. It's a practice I would like to keep up post-challenge but maybe not as such a fevered pitch.

Burn Durlamin

So I did something that really makes me shake in my boots: I asked a mom at the park to hang out! I'm having such a hard time making friends with other parents w/ small nuggets. Feeling like I am finally putting down roots here again.

Thank you to all for following along. Appreciate you.

Now into the mist!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I find the lack of "building" in this last update, disturbing

building booty or building living quarters :P have floor people figuring out the foundation this week and bum was worked as always

• Like 1

Week 3 Update

So I have just suddenly gotten incredibly busy w/ many balls in the air. To keep everything moving, I am going to need to get my organization/planning down pat. I'm finding that I am most successful in accomplishing my quest sub-goals when I have some kind of plan otherwise the day hits me like a wave and before I know it it's the end of the day and I am washed up on the sand wondering what happened. Any master planners out there have any resources to tap? I love my planner and we have a monthly whiteboard set up to keep dates in line.

Main areas for planning:

1. meal planning
    1. meal prep
  2. calendar dates
  3. daily to dos and goals
  4. planned time for study
  5. weekly meetings as per build plan w/ relevant parties
  6. get a weekly sorter for my pill/supplements

MISTBORN ADVENTURES

Almost done with book 3! I'm thinking I may read something non-fiction next? Suggestions welcome :)

Burning Iron/Pewter

So we went to the beach house Monday-Friday and I felt like nauseated and exhausted during a lot of the week. I am feeling better and wondering if I may have gone down with a little stomach bug? Not sure but I gave up on lifting this week and instead did yoga/pilates x4 days. I feel better for it. I also concentrated on getting back to health following return from the coast by eating super nourishing foods and getting enough H20. Of particular interest, I made a delicious healing lentil-tumeric soup. yum. Sugar cravings are down by some miracle but also because I am focusing on nourishing foods. I think there is surely a link between sugar cravings and nutritional deficiencies?

Burn Steel

Went on a few beach walks (heaven) but really focused on yoga/pilates as stated above.

Lady of the Bog's Courtly Duties/Burn Brass

Your girl earned workout slides and then promptly became disinterested! I need another goal- this time I am thinking a new sundress I've had my eyes on from Urban Outfitters.

Burn Durlamin

I signed up for Mint so I can see where I spend $$. GULP.

Build news:

I'm feeling a bit frustrated because the build is dependent on my father and law and husband doing the majority of the heavy lifting. My FIL is a carpenter/contractor/small home expert so his expertise is greatly appreciated but he is also a contractor so deadlines don't really mean all that much to him? On the plus side, my husband is a professor and has the month of July and August off to do willy-nilly (well, he'd remind me that he has consulting work- AI stuff right now, and he has to a lot of writing but, hey, less busy) and my FIL is taking time off of work to focus entirely on our build. That said, again, I am the planner of the group and I feel like I need to aid some IRON TO MY FIST. So, having to wait for the plumbers to do their thing and wait for my FIL to return, I planned out the kitchen layout and planned and planted a (late) vegetable garden this week.

This week I am trying to decide whether I am going to leave my babe for the night (first time ever!) and go to a SOLSTICE party my friend is having out his (organic!) farm north of the city. They are putting up a great big tent and it's sure to be fun time but I am a stick in the mud, like to be close to my baby, and I am tired/busy. It's sure to be a very HOBBIT affair which is very relevant to my interests...

Thank you to all for following along. Appreciate you.

Now into the mist!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

This week I am trying to decide whether I am going to leave my babe for the night (first time ever!) and go to a SOLSTICE party my friend is having out his (organic!) farm north of the city. They are putting up a great big tent and it's sure to be fun time but I am a stick in the mud, like to be close to my baby, and I am tired/busy. It's sure to be a very HOBBIT affair which is very relevant to my interests...

Whatever you decide will be right. The party sounds really fun and kind of good for the soul. I'm assuming your husband or some other responsible adult can take care of the babe and that you could bring a cell phone in case you really are needed. But if you aren't ready to be that far away for whatever reason, that's ok too.

• Like 3

Oct/Nov 2016

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Whatever you decide will be right. The party sounds really fun and kind of good for the soul. I'm assuming your husband or some other responsible adult can take care of the babe and that you could bring a cell phone in case you really are needed. But if you aren't ready to be that far away for whatever reason, that's ok too.

Thank you for this. It's reassuring with all things parenthood to hear that it's all okay.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

I'm feeling a bit frustrated because the build is dependent on my father and law and husband doing the majority of the heavy lifting. My FIL is a carpenter/contractor/small home expert so his expertise is greatly appreciated but he is also a contractor so deadlines don't really mean all that much to him? On the plus side, my husband is a professor and has the month of July and August off to do willy-nilly (well, he'd remind me that he has consulting work- AI stuff right now, and he has to a lot of writing but, hey, less busy) and my FIL is taking time off of work to focus entirely on our build. That said, again, I am the planner of the group and I feel like I need to aid some IRON TO MY FIST. So, having to wait for the plumbers to do their thing and wait for my FIL to return, I planned out the kitchen layout and planned and planted a (late) vegetable garden this week.

"Contractor Time" is a fact of life often overlooked in the planning phase of renovations/construction.  My house is ancient, has had a lot of work done over the years and yeah, deadlines don't mean much.  Honestly wondering if I should just go to the local community college to learn plumbing and electrical skills myself when I build my house or not...

• Like 1

Oh you gotta go to that party.  There's no party like a hobbit party!

Gslk.gif

Back after a 2 week work/vacation hiatus.  Glad you're still alive and still kicking.  Loved what you said about the pacific waves crashing and driving with the windows down.

I'm sure you've seen Dead Poets Society?  If not... you might like it.  It features that poem you mentioned prominently.

• Like 2

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

19 hours ago, Rusk said:

"Contractor Time" is a fact of life often overlooked in the planning phase of renovations/construction.  My house is ancient, has had a lot of work done over the years and yeah, deadlines don't mean much.  Honestly wondering if I should just go to the local community college to learn plumbing and electrical skills myself when I build my house or not...

oooh, i took a community college class on car mechanics and i am so glad i did. i kept my old volvo 240 station wagon running wayyyy past her expiration date. she was a beaut, faithful, with a pirate soul. i gave her to a friend back in texas and i haven't had the heart to ask how she fared through harvey. i think you should! i think that's why i am so excited about this build- i want to learn more skills to be self-sufficient. my husband likes to joke that he married me because i'm such a good apocalypse wife.

9 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Oh you gotta go to that party.  There's no party like a hobbit party!

Gslk.gif

Back after a 2 week work/vacation hiatus.  Glad you're still alive and still kicking.  Loved what you said about the pacific waves crashing and driving with the windows down.

I'm sure you've seen Dead Poets Society?  If not... you might like it.  It features that poem you mentioned prominently.

why thank you, sir. and i think that gif describes everything that i want in a party/life. i feel like i'm body type elf but total hobbit. i think i am going to do another hobbit challenge again. glad you are back! i'll go mosey on over to your challenge.

i have seen dead poets society though i don't remember that poem being referenced. i do like to say my captain my captain whenever my husband relates some particularly poignant professor moment :P

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

i'm such a good apocalypse wife.

i have seen dead poets society though i don't remember that poem being referenced. i do like to say my captain my captain whenever my husband relates some particularly poignant professor moment :P

Ha, apocalypse wife :) . Love that!  My wife is a good apocalypse wife.  She's got two squirrel skins curing in the garage at the moment...  She wanted to know how to cure leather so she got some roadkill and, well, the rest is history... 

The "rosebuds" scene is the "carpe diem" scene... love that movie.

• Like 1

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

43 minutes ago, mediaguy99 said:

Ha, apocalypse wife :) . Love that!  My wife is a good apocalypse wife.  She's got two squirrel skins curing in the garage at the moment...  She wanted to know how to cure leather so she got some roadkill and, well, the rest is history... 

The "rosebuds" scene is the "carpe diem" scene... love that movie.

oh my gosh, that's AMAZING. she IS a great apocalypse wife. love it!

• Like 1