Maigs Misaligned Challenge Continues

Maigs

Well that was rough. My 10k OCR today broke me a bit. Not physically. Mentally.

About a mile in were over/unders which weren't bad but definitely showed how unprepared I was because I was very out of breath even though I had done them slowly. A half mile later was an extremely long tire carry that sucked from the combination of the length and the fact that there was no comfortable way to carry the tire. About 1/2 mile later was an army crawl which I have no idea how to properly do and I scratched the crap out of my knees. After that was two 8' wall climbs with a long line. After waiting about 10 minutes I psyched myself out of even trying even though everyone was making it over, some using the supports on the side to climb. So I walked past those. Then walked past the elevated bars (a single bar, 6' up that you had to somehow climb over). Then there were "freedom lunges" where you carried a weighted bag while lunge-walking to the turn around point, I was already breaking and skipped the bag and did some (still very miserable) bodyweight lunges. Then there was a cool obstacle that was an inverted wall with bars up the bottom side where you climb those, then slide down the top. It was too wet for me to try last year, this year I made it to the top but couldn't figure out how to get over the edge so I climbed back down. That didn't bother me, but the next round of army crawls did me in. I actually gave up 3/4's of the way through and bailed out the side.

At that point I was broken. I was fighting back tears and might have had a mini anxiety attack. My throat tightened up and I had problems exhaling and when I did it came out with a whimper. It wasn't from exertion because I'd been walking and skipping obstacles for a while at this point. I was luckily by myself here but with people behind me in case I did actually need help. I skipped the next obstacle. But then there were two more 8' walls but with no line and I did those (by climbing the supports). That helped my mood some. I skipped a lot more obstacles but did some others, always enjoying the ones I did even if they were hard and beat up my shins. I barely ran at all. I actually ran across the finish line with more oomph than I have ever run across one before because I had so much left in the tank physically.

Last year I did this race in flood waters and mud and completely wrong clothes, then turned around and did a 7k trail run in the evening and loved it. This year I did it in 75-85F sunny weather and it broke me.

Tomorrow afternoon we head out for our vacation and I won't be around here much while we're gone

• Sad 3

Sorry you're struggling with frustrations at work.  Congrats on making it through your OCR, even if you had to do it on your own terms :)  Hopefully this vaca will help you relax!!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

On 6/4/2018 at 11:35 AM, Maigahane said:

I'm not full of anxiety like I was a couple of months ago when I finally went for counseling, just defeated. I'd like to think that once we're back from the trip I can get everything back on track, but not feeling overly hopeful since it's all ongoing stuff

Even though, as you say, it's ongoing stuff, I think it will be easier to face and address when you are back from vacation. A real rest from the daily worries can work wonders. I bet you come back with more clarity after being away from it for a while.

I clicked "sad" above not because I think there is anything sad about what you did. It's fantastic that you kept moving through the course even when you were feeling completely broken. I just want you to start having more fun again!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

OCRs vary on the spectrum from plain fun to Rocky levels of "I must break you" but more or less they all take a toll and once you've failed or skipped a few obstacles, it's easy for your mentality to crumble. All the work stress sounds like it is to blame and frankly, you can never account for these things when booking your ticket. Silver lining, you still crossed the finish line instead of giving up, but sounds like now's the time for a well deserved vacation. Take the time to relax, think things through and we'll be here to discuss things once you're back.

• Like 4
On 6/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, Stribs said:

Sorry you're struggling with frustrations at work.  Congrats on making it through your OCR, even if you had to do it on your own terms :)  Hopefully this vaca will help you relax!!!

Thanks Stribs

On 6/10/2018 at 9:38 PM, Xena said:

Even though, as you say, it's ongoing stuff, I think it will be easier to face and address when you are back from vacation. A real rest from the daily worries can work wonders. I bet you come back with more clarity after being away from it for a while.

I clicked "sad" above not because I think there is anything sad about what you did. It's fantastic that you kept moving through the course even when you were feeling completely broken. I just want you to start having more fun again!

Thanks Xena. I'm already feeling a lot better than I was Saturday and have some ideas of what I need to do ongoing. I just want to have fun again too!

18 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

OCRs vary on the spectrum from plain fun to Rocky levels of "I must break you" but more or less they all take a toll and once you've failed or skipped a few obstacles, it's easy for your mentality to crumble. All the work stress sounds like it is to blame and frankly, you can never account for these things when booking your ticket. Silver lining, you still crossed the finish line instead of giving up, but sounds like now's the time for a well deserved vacation. Take the time to relax, think things through and we'll be here to discuss things once you're back.

This one is definitely more geared towards "breaking you", especially the 10k, as it's a military appreciation thing. It just really threw me through a loop because last year it was so much fun in much worse conditions.

• Like 1

Vacation is going awesome. The Redwoods are AMAZING!! Portland is freaking crazy and I'm enjoying being out of the city far more than being in it. We hiked around Mt. Hood today and saw a beautiful waterfall. Tomorrow we're meeting up with my sister to go to a different park and see SEVEN waterfalls. My hippy ass should be loving Portland but it's way too fraking crowded for my tastes. I'll take my tiny blue speck of a city in a very red state over this any day. I did have an amazing pumpkin curry today though.

It seems that my PF doesn't mind forest trails at all. I did 26k steps Tuesday in the Redwoods and 17k steps today around Mt. Hood in the shoes that my miracle insoles don't fit in and my foot is totally fine! So now I'm researching getting a state park pass back home and actually getting my ass to them to hike. There's not good hiking very close to me but there's some decent ones that can be done as day trips. My legs are alternating between "I feel awesome!" and "What the hell did you do to me? Just let me die!".

• Like 2

Glad you're having a great vacation!!!  I wish we had more hiking here too.  But we just have beaches.

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

That sounds like so much fun!!! I'm glad to hear you're having a good time.

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 6/14/2018 at 5:28 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

All the work stress sounds like it is to blame and frankly, you can never account for these things when booking your ticket.

I know you don't have to work as closely with him as you used to, but I've come to enjoy just assuming Kevin is to blame. :-)

19 hours ago, Maigahane said:

It seems that my PF doesn't mind forest trails at all. I did 26k steps Tuesday in the Redwoods and 17k steps today around Mt. Hood in the shoes that my miracle insoles don't fit in and my foot is totally fine! So now I'm researching getting a state park pass back home and actually getting my ass to them to hike. There's not good hiking very close to me but there's some decent ones that can be done as day trips.

So glad you are enjoying it, and that sounds like a really good idea!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

We're back home. The trip was awesome. I saw so many waterfalls! And wildlife! Up close! After Portland we stopped to see an aunt and cousins in Washington. Then off to Glacier National Park which is amazing and needs at least a week to fully appreciate. Then Yellowstone which was cool but less amazing and way too freaking crowded. We gave up on seeing Old Faithful and Artist PaintPots because the lines just to park were insane. Then we stopped at Devil's Tower where we saw people rappelling down it, then Mount Rushmore which is amazing in that they could do that in the 1920's but also such a waste of a beautiful mountain. On the way home we stopped at Carhenge....yes, someone recreated Stonehenge with old cars. Why? Why not I guess. LOTS of hiking, some mountain goating, and reasonable food choices given we were on the road for two weeks (almost no fast food)

Tomorrow is a 5k mudrun which has been my favorite, I should feel MUCH better about this one than my last one.

Pictures (very out of order)

"The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone"

DSCF1620.JPG

Bear at Glacier Park. No zoom. He was just strolling down the road

DSCF1595.JPG

Avalanche Lake at Glacier Park

DSCF1582.JPG

Sitting on a Redwood stump by the beach at the Redwoods

DSCF1406.JPG

Falls at Yellowstone

DSCF1623.JPG

Devil's Tower

DSCF1636.JPG

Carhenge

DSCF1665.JPG

The drive through tree at Redwoods. I have a picture of us standing in it but it wouldn't load :(

DSCF1389.JPG

• Like 3

Those pictures are awesome!  Glad you had a great trip!  Have fun on your mud run!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s a great road trip. I think it took us three trips to see everything you did. Aren’t the redwood forests unreal?

We took two weeks and it wasn't enough time in some places. We'll definitely be going back to Glacier Park and the Redwoods in the future. The Redwoods are so freaking unreal. I probably looked like a little kid with my mouth open in awe driving into the park. When we got to "The Big Tree" (which is wider than my house) I immediately thought "This is where elves live"

• Like 3

5k the Hard Way

Holy shit I needed that race today. This was my fourth time running it and it's definitely my favorite. I started the morning with some anxiety, probably mostly from my last event being so rough, but it didn't help that Hubs had his 30 mile bike ride today and woke me up after he had planned to leave asking how to air up his tires. Yup, the boy can't even air up his own tires and was going on a 30+ mile bike ride without his mother wife (in his defense he could have done it with the air compressor but I forgot to tell him where the nozzle ended up when I cleaned out the garage). Oh, and I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning. It was not pretty though I'm sure some of it was water weight from eating out.

But once I got out there I had a blast. Seriously, how can you not have fun while climbing in and out of creek beds so steep you need a rope or ladder? Or a 100 foot water slide halfway through? I ran a fair amount, most of the places that were safe to run, and just kept thinking "Man I needed this race" while grinning like a loon. I got so stuck in knee deep mud at one point I almost had to ask for help.

Hubs survived his bike ride in better shape than I expected. Now I really need to go grocery shopping...but I don't wanna. I also need to fold laundry, that will most likely happen today. And I really need to stretch my poor glutes which reminded me pretty quickly during the race that I had abused them the last two weeks

• Like 4

I'm so glad it was the race you needed!  Woohoo!!! Way to get out there and get right back to it after vacation!

• Like 1

That trip sounds awesome!! I was just at Glacier a few weeks ago myself. :) I've never been to the redwoods, but it's really high on my list. 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell.