J3nn is back

J3NN

I tried to do this without the support of my NF friends, but it didn't work, so after 2 challenges on my own, I'm back and looking forward to catching up with everyone!

Fitness Goal

• Long term
    • 3 strength workouts/week regularly
    • 10,000 steps a day (non-workout days)
    • Strong core
  • Challenge
    • 2 strength workouts with LB Fitness
    • 6200 steps/day on non-workout days
    • 1 20 min Darebee Burn & Build Abs session/wk

Nutrition Goal

• Long term
    • Don’t let hunger deter you from sticking with your diet.
    • Don’t eat a carbohydrate unless it has fiber attached to it.
    • Focus on healthy behaviors, not the number on the scale.
    • Make plants the foundation of your diet.
    • No foods are 100 percent off-limits.
    • Spend your calories wisely.
    • Plan tomorrow’s meals today.
  • Challenge
    • Focus on fiberhydrates
    • Track meals in My Fitness Pal and study carbs to learn what has fiber and doesn’t

Level up Your Life

• Long term
    • Write DnD story
  • Challenge
    • "Write 7,763 words (222 words/day)
    • Participate in #storycrafter chat on Twitter at least twice
    • Post blog on writing and music by end of June
    • Read Fantasy & Paranormal Romance

Adulting

• Long term
    • Retire at 65 with plenty of $$ w/out relying on Social Security
    • Leave no drama (no clutter, have a will and death plans secured)
    • FLYing home
  • Challenge
    • Process mail daily
    • Deep clean bathroom
    • Review retirement plan and identify changes/review financial program at work
    • Go through closet and donate old clothes
    • Organize linen closet/spaces
    • Read NBIC Book Club book
    • Bonus: Replenish emergency kit

Glad to be back!

• Like 11

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Welcome back! :) Having a bunch of people around during the challenge definitely makes it easier.

I love that you added your long term goals and especially writing the DnD story, do you already have something specific in mind or are you just writing and see where it takes you?

Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Inazea said:

I love that you added your long term goals and especially writing the DnD story, do you already have something specific in mind or are you just writing and see where it takes you?

I have a very loose idea that I'm playing with, calling it DnD is very deceiving, because that's really only a small piece of my inspiration and not how the story ended up going at all. But I haven't made myself think of a real title yet. I'm still more in the thinking and planning stages than I am in the writing, so I'm just trying to build the habit of writing again by using writing prompts to write my character's back story and to get to know them in different situations.

Thanks!

• Like 4

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

11 minutes ago, J3NN said:

I'm just trying to build the habit of writing again by using writing prompts to write my character's back story and to get to know them in different situations.

Thanks!

Ooh I love that idea! My last Pathfinder game was getting good until half the party gambled their lives in a poker game (which is not the first time those two have gambled themselves to death...). I'm not even sure what we're going to do next, we just keep playing the worlds largest dungeon in the meantime.

• Like 3

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

Updates:

Fitness Goal

• Challenge
    • 2 strength workouts with LB Fitness -
      • Tuesday workout done:
        • 1 full circuit, and another 1/2 circuit
        • 4x 20 sec intervals w/10 second rest/transition
          • Burpees (modified)
          • Jumping Jacks
        • 3x 30 seconds
          • Pushups
          • Walking lunges
        • 1x 2 min
          • High knees
          • Side side leap
        • 30 seconds
          • Dumbbell rows, both arms
    • 6200 steps/day on non-workout days -
      • Avg is running low, only at 5066
      • Did this on Sunday... flutter kicks are hard!
      • 3 sets Ab Attack Workout
        • Flutter kicks 10
        • High crunches 20
        • Flutter kicks 10
        • Sitting twist 20
        • Flutter kicks 10
        • Knee-to-elbow crunches 20

Nutrition Goal

• Challenge
    • Focus on fiberhydrates
    • Track meals in My Fitness Pal and study carbs to learn what has fiber and doesn’t
      • It turns out that My Fitness Pal shows carbs, but not fiber
      • My carbs this week have been under control, I've stayed an avg of 67 grams under the recommended allowance*
      • *mostly... I have been having a small cookie or dessert item, but I also haven't been adding in my exercise to earn those calories, so I hope it's a wash.

Level up Your Life

• Challenge
      • 467 words this week so far
      • Sunday was my first chat, It was talking about naming things, all the things, in your story, it was kind of an interesting discussion, but I was meal prepping at the same time so I wasn't fully engaged.
      • No progress
      • Finished two short stories from an anthology this week, and apparently I finished the anthology
        • Daughters of Darkness: Blair's Journey by Chrissy Peebles
        • Daughter of Darkness: Victoria by W.J. May
        • Same series, but two authors, I hadn't realized that when I was reading, that explains a lot.

Adulting

• Challenge
    • Process mail daily
      • Done
    • Deep clean bathroom
    • Read NBIC Book Club book
    • Bonus: Replenish emergency kit
  • All these things have a three day weekend coming up, my goal is to do one per weekend, but we'll see if I get ahead of the curve.

It's good to be back and have the accountability buddies!

• Like 3

J3NN

I'm doing a closet purge this challenge too :) it'll be good to make some room in there (and my dresser drawers too, oh lordy). I'm hoping to get it done over the holiday weekend.

What kind of fantasy/paranormal romance is your jam? I might have a few suggestions if you're down?

• Like 2

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

On 5/24/2018 at 8:27 AM, Annabelle said:

I'm doing a closet purge this challenge too :) it'll be good to make some room in there (and my dresser drawers too, oh lordy). I'm hoping to get it done over the holiday weekend.

Good luck to you! Thankfully (not really) my husband works Sunday and Monday so I feel like I should have plenty of time to be productive, but I won't lie, it'll still be hard to get motivated!

On 5/24/2018 at 8:27 AM, Annabelle said:

What kind of fantasy/paranormal romance is your jam? I might have a few suggestions if you're down?

Pretty much all of them. I'm not picky, just a voracious reader, even if I don't like it or have issues with it, I chalk it up to a learning experience to make my own writing better. I would love recommendations!

• Like 1

J3NN

On 5/25/2018 at 12:22 PM, J3NN said:

Pretty much all of them. I'm not picky, just a voracious reader, even if I don't like it or have issues with it, I chalk it up to a learning experience to make my own writing better. I would love recommendations!

I had to dig out the exact name of the first book that popped into my mind this weekend. I've only read book one so far, but I do have book two sitting on my bookshelf. Staring at me. (Possibly mocking me)

https://www.goodreads.com/series/50291-rogue-mage

Also, depending on your style (I highly advise reading reviews on this series because it is NOT for everybody, book two of the first trilogy in particular) you might like this series(es? There are three trilogies involved)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/153008.Kushiel_s_Dart?from_search=true 

And if you're into historical fantasy - this is aimed a little younger I think? But I still enjoyed them.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/67956-merlin-s-descendants

• Like 2

J3NN

Welcome back, I saw you pop up, but then things got weird around here, and I didn't get a chance to say Hi. Looks like you are already rocking things and I understand the lack of motivation to do things. We went from school to no school really fast, and I have had the same issue of "Or we could just not do anything"

Looking forward to watching you rock out this challenge

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Updates:

Fitness Goal

• Challenge
    • 2 strength workouts with LB Fitness -
      • Tuesday & Thursday workout done
    • 6200 steps/day on non-workout days -
      • Avg is running low, only at 5300
      • Did this on Sunday... flutter kicks are better, did the full 20
      • 3 sets Ab Attack Workout
        • Flutter kicks 20
        • High crunches 20
        • Flutter kicks  20
        • Sitting twist 20
        • Flutter kicks 20
        • Knee-to-elbow crunches 20

Nutrition Goal

• Challenge
    • Focus on fiberhydrates
      • My carbs this week have been under control*, I did go over by 6g one day
      • *mostly... I have been having a small cookie or dessert item, but I also haven't been adding in my exercise to earn those calories, so I hope it's a wash.

Level up Your Life

• Challenge
      • 1185 words this week so far, I want to try to get 1223 more today 
      • Missed today's sadly, but I met my goal of doing it twice. Today's was about describing your character's morning routine, I'm going to use it as a writing prompt.
      • No progress
      • Started a new anthology, Darlings of Paranormal Romance, I'm on the third story, the first two were meh, but I'm really enjoying the third one
        • In Dusk's Embrace, Isobelle Cate
        • Warriors of the Atlantean Empire, C.L. Pardington
        • Eternal Vows, Chrissy Peebles

Adulting

• Challenge
    • Process mail daily
      • Done
    • Deep clean bathroom - My husband is a gem and he was off on Wednesday, so he did this, including installing our new toilet seat. So instead of this, I deep cleaned the freezer and four  kitchen cabinets, getting rid of expired things and reorganizing everything.
    • Read NBIC Book Club book - I read every day but Thursday but I made up for it on Saturday. Haven't read yet today, but there's still time.
    • Bonus: Replenish emergency kit - bought a food kit, started stockpiling water and bought a supply kit, so this is well under way.

All in all, doing okay, if not doing great at posting updates. 

• Like 3

J3NN

On 6/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, J3NN said:

Updates:

I think your doing great. And I am glad to see you around when you can. I haven't posted an update in a bit either. I need to get on that.

Keep up the good work. Your doing great

• Like 1

On 6/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, J3NN said:

Posting updates can be hard, this time of year there is so many things that are pulling people in so many directions. how you doing?

On 6/18/2018 at 8:10 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

Posting updates can be hard, this time of year there is so many things that are pulling people in so many directions. how you doing?

I'm doing well, but not posting. I've had a couple setbacks. I stubbed my pinkie toe on June 8, thought it was broken. Then I got some GI bug last week, so my walking numbers are down. But the rest of the challenge is going well, my workouts continue, my writing has had fits and starts, my reading is good, but my chores not as good. Just normal life I guess. I think since I didn't make myself commit to posting it's making me not commit to tracking as well, so I will make that part of the challenge next time... and I think it's time for a bribe. We'll see.

• Like 3

J3NN

Here's a real update, and perhaps I overestimated how good I'm doing... but I feel okay, so even though my numbers aren't at my goal level, I'm still moving the needle so I'm not going to beat myself up:

To date Committed Reached
Steps/Amerithon 4,309
Avg Steps (6200)

LB Fitness+1 9 15 60%
Writing (2664) 4,318 7763 56%
MyFitnessPal 19 35 54%
Mail 23 27 85%
#storycrafter 2 2 100%
F & P Reading 14    
NBIC reading 18    
Deep clean bathroom 1 1 100%
Financial review 0 1 0%
Donate clothes 0 1 40%
Organize linens 0 1 0%
Bonus: Emergency Supplies 2 2 100%

Fitness Goal

• Challenge
    • Workouts are going well, I'm finding myself doing a better job of being positive about it and even though I'm not losing weight or even seeing my clothes fit differently, I'm feeling better and stronger, so I'll take that as a win. I find myself thinking about continuing, and was even wondering what I could do on vacation in August to keep up the good work.

Nutrition Goal

• Challenge
    • I stopped tracking in My Fitness Pal, this was stressing me out and not providing my any value. I've not gained weight since I stopped tracking, so I'm still doing good about eating healthy. I need to ponder this for next time. I need/want to lose weight, but I think meal prepping is a better way than counting calories for me, so I need to think about how to accomplish that and balance living life and enjoying weekends.

Level up Your Life

• Challenge
      • I'm barely half way there. I haven't touched my blog post. I've been doing a great exercise for my characters though and that is to write out their morning routines. I've really enjoyed that.
      • No progress - even though the universe sends me tweets that talk about how users are using music in their writing process. I just suck here.
      • Anthology, Darlings of Paranormal Romance
        • Waking up Dead, Catherine Wolffe - Didn't like this one, skipped ahead to the next one
        • A Grave Exchange, Tara Rose - okay, but not great
      • The Thought Readers, Dima Zales
      • The Thought Pushers, Dima Zales
      • Currently reading - The Great Santini - Pat Conroy - Not fantasy & paranormal, but I needed a break and Pat Conroy is a magician with words so that should count.

Adulting

• Challenge
    • Process mail daily
      • Done
    • Read NBIC Book Club book - We're reading New Power, Jeremy Heimans and Henry Timms. I'm 86% done with this. I've really enjoyed it and have learned a lot about "new power" and also about organizations that has helped me understand things better.

Throughout this challenge some other things have happened...

• The volcano in Hawaii has had our rapt attention, we're planning to visit the island in October and have reservations made and flights booked already. Unfortunately, the home we had booked was in the area that the lava destroyed, the whole community is completely gone. Fortunately, we had traveler's insurance and were able to get a full refund and have found a new location.
  • We took an unplanned trip for Father's day weekend, so we had a small vacation getaway, but it cut into my writing and chores time, so I haven't been as good there as I should have been.

Can't believe this is the last week of the challenge already. Starting to think about the next one now.

• Like 2

J3NN

36 minutes ago, J3NN said:

I think since I didn't make myself commit to posting it's making me not commit to tracking as well, so I will make that part of the challenge next time...

I have this problem almost every time I decide to not make a posting goal. Also, welcome back!

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

I have had a similar thing with not making a "talk to people" part of the challenge, which I am considering going back to a "check in at NF" goal too.

So what are you thinking about doing for next challenge?

• Like 1

That's exactly why I made a check-in goal this go-around... I knew coming back in I'd need to keep myself logging in, keep accountable, etc.

It sucks when life intervenes, but adversity is always the mother of invention :) I know you'll find a way to balance it all out. Super lucky on that travel insurance though! My trip in December is the first time I've bought it for my airfare, because I'm paranoid if the weather gets bad here that getting to my destination might be a struggle. (Thankfully we're also going out a day early)

• Like 2

On 6/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

So what are you thinking about doing for next challenge?

Good question, I finish my gym class half way through the challenge, but I am planning on continuing until my vacation to keep me on track and earn some treats. So I'll have two workouts a week for sure.

I'm trying out the Mediterranean diet this week, very loosely... so maybe I'll add that in to try it out for five weeks to give it a real shot.

My writing goal was a challenge this time, and I expect it will continue to be so. But.. the camp starts this month, so maybe I commit to that. I've tried Nanowrimo, but never the camp, maybe I should make that my major goal and just keep maintenance mode on the workouts and nutrition.

I really don't know yet... I'll need to keep on thinking about this. Camp starts July 1 so I have a week or so to decide.

What are you doing next time @Bean Sidhe

• Like 1

J3NN

On 6/23/2018 at 6:49 PM, J3NN said:

What are you doing next time @Bean Sidhe

So all my plans for the new challenge went out a window. Competely and utterly. I have a challenge up, but the short version is my chosen sister passed away over the weekend. I am going to try and not only heal but rebuild back to where I was at but hopefully understand that right now, I am just doing good if i am not crying. So yeah, Challenge is up, beware, it may have feels in it.

On 6/23/2018 at 6:49 PM, J3NN said:

Good question, I finish my gym class half way through the challenge, but I am planning on continuing until my vacation to keep me on track and earn some treats. So I'll have two workouts a week for sure.

I'm trying out the Mediterranean diet this week, very loosely... so maybe I'll add that in to try it out for five weeks to give it a real shot. 

My writing goal was a challenge this time, and I expect it will continue to be so. But.. the camp starts this month, so maybe I commit to that. I've tried Nanowrimo, but never the camp, maybe I should make that my major goal and just keep maintenance mode on the workouts and nutrition.

I really don't know yet... I'll need to keep on thinking about this. Camp starts July 1 so I have a week or so to decide.

I think this sounds like a great plan, and that taco meal you posted looked really good. I am curious what else you have found to make on this diet, if for no other reason, its healthy good food.

I am curious how your camp turns out. and the challenge doesn't start till after your camp, so you will have plenty of time ot see how it goes.

Still cheering you on.

• Like 1