Jlailin Grows!

Jlailin

It's spring!  ...Or at least it is trying to be in Chicago.  Despite cold, 40 degree, rainy weather, and storms, the trees and plants are green with new growth--and I want to be too! 

untitled-1.gif

Dance

I want to grow as a dancer.  This means stepping out of my comfort zone and going to more advanced level classes, even though I find them intimidating.  I'm never going to master fundamental techniques for more complex movements if I avoid these classes.  I've updated my schedule to include two classes that are more advanced--Femme Hip Hop and Kpop at the Puzzle Box studio.  I must go to at least one of these classes each week along with my other classes.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Carnival Rehearsal @ DRC Grooves @ DRC Kpop @ DRC Lyrical Jazz REST Kpop @ Puzzle Box Kpop @ Supreme
Beginner/Intermediate Beginner Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced Beginning   Intermediate/Advanced Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced
  Femme Hip Hop @ DRC          
  Intermediate/Advanced          

A side dance goal for this challenge will also be to practice and brush up on the dance Power by EXO.  My kpop program will likely have their anniversary party on June 24th--the last day of this challenge--and I am giving myself the stretch goal to actually compete this year.   

Home
I want to have a beautiful home filled with thriving plants!  It feels magical when you see new growth from a seed or cutting.  I need to clean up my balcony from last season and this past winter to prepare it for new plants again.  A big part of that will be devising a way to keep squirrels from devouring my hard work.  This list will also include some of my various home goals that I need to accomplish in order to achieve my "grown up home" goal I've been continuing from previous challenges.

• Devise a way to keep squirrels from eating garden & build it
  • Buy & grow cherry tomatoes
  • Nurture ginger plant to make sure it sprouts
  • Buy, sprout, and plant lemongrass
  • Clip off and grow out baby spider plants to give away
  • Buy and grow sweet basil
  • Buy and grow thyme
  • Buy and grow mint (regular, chocolate, strawberry, and mini)
  • New storage system for cat toys
  • Hang the last two cat shelves

This list will probably grow throughout the challenge as I accomplish tasks and find new things to do.

Body

Muscle growth is specifically what we're after here.  I need to be smart about what I eat and continue my intermittent fasting habit.  I also need to strength train to grow my muscles.  I want to be strong enough to have the stamina and strength to do long dance practices and do all the cool dance moves.

• Continue intermittent fasting
  • Meal prep for weekday lunches during the weekend
    • This means cooking AND packing in individual containers per day.  (If you don't pack them, you'll tell yourself you have no time in the morning and end up spending unnecessary money on unhealthy food when you have perfectly good, already-paid-for food sitting in your fridge.)
  • Strength train 1x per week

Career

A big decision is coming up for me.  I work as a consultant, and I've been at my current client for over three years.  I have also worked with them for two years previously, and both have been good experiences.  My position may be converting to an employee position.  My director has told me that if I want the position, it is mine with no competition or interview.  I have resisted becoming an employee for a long time because I take copious amounts of vacation to visit family and travel the world, but I really like this client.  On top of that, my consulting company just recently gave me a raise, and they're trying to give me more perks, since I've been with them for awhile.  Nothing is set in stone yet, since there has been no posting for my position's conversion yet.  However, the big decision is looming... Which path do I take to give me more growth?  Put down deeper roots with my current client or branch wider to a new client?

• Like 7

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

You've got a lot happening, it looks great! Best of luck with everything :D

Meal prep is a big one for me, too. Every week I have to remind myself to do that stuff on the weekend because I definitely won't be in the mood come Monday! It's the worst when you've had to buy something mediocre when you know there's yummier food waiting for you at home!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

You've got a lot happening, it looks great! Best of luck with everything :D

Meal prep is a big one for me, too. Every week I have to remind myself to do that stuff on the weekend because I definitely won't be in the mood come Monday! It's the worst when you've had to buy something mediocre when you know there's yummier food waiting for you at home!

Thank you!  :D  Yes, I somehow ended up buying lunch almost every day in April because I added more classes to my schedule, didn't cook every day, went to sleep later, woke up later, and kept running out of time to pack lunch.  I did find a relatively healthy-ish burrito bowl option at work, but it's so inconsistent.  Sometimes the pulled pork is dry; sometimes the ratio or ingredients is off; sometimes the person putting my bowl together skimps on the amount of lettuce.  It's good when they make it right, but I hate having so little control over something I'm paying $7 for.  So yes, meal planning it is!  

This week I have grilled bulgogi and cute sesame furikake musubi.  :D  ...but I have no idea what to make for next week.  Do you have any good resources for finding meal prep ideas?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Thank you!  :D  Yes, I somehow ended up buying lunch almost every day in April because I added more classes to my schedule, didn't cook every day, went to sleep later, woke up later, and kept running out of time to pack lunch.  I did find a relatively healthy-ish burrito bowl option at work, but it's so inconsistent.  Sometimes the pulled pork is dry; sometimes the ratio or ingredients is off; sometimes the person putting my bowl together skimps on the amount of lettuce.  It's good when they make it right, but I hate having so little control over something I'm paying $7 for.  So yes, meal planning it is!  

This week I have grilled bulgogi and cute sesame furikake musubi.  :D  ...but I have no idea what to make for next week.  Do you have any good resources for finding meal prep ideas?

I totally hear you! Shame about the burritos. Our staff cafeteria has different options every day, but the only reliably tasty thing is the hot chips (fries) which I really shouldn't have as often as I do.

That sounds very tasty! I tend to just make a batch of something that microwaves nicely, usually some kind of curry, pasta or stir fry. This week I've got to have lunch and dinner at work, so I've got spaghetti bolognaise and pumpkin soup :)

• Like 2
On 5/22/2018 at 6:55 PM, Lateral Planet said:

I totally hear you! Shame about the burritos. Our staff cafeteria has different options every day, but the only reliably tasty thing is the hot chips (fries) which I really shouldn't have as often as I do.

That sounds very tasty! I tend to just make a batch of something that microwaves nicely, usually some kind of curry, pasta or stir fry. This week I've got to have lunch and dinner at work, so I've got spaghetti bolognaise and pumpkin soup :)

Ohhh, I love pumpkin soup!  ...It's not really pumpkin or squash season here, but I'm sure I could find a reasonable butternut somewhere...  And yes, fries are so hard to resist!  I specifically avoid the other building's cafeteria because I always end up getting fries when I'm there.  :P

On 5/24/2018 at 3:44 AM, Rainelf said:

Squirrels don't like chilli or cayenne pepper, so can use scattered chilli flakes or home made dilute cayenne pepper spray on plants which won't harm anything else (although you might miss the entertainment value of the squirrel s)

I did try this... I made the crazy hot pepper spray by simmering and steeping crazy hot peppers plus chili flakes.  My eyes were watering when I made it.  ...but I sprayed it on and I think my particular squirrels have a thing for spicy because they still ate everything.  ~_~  ...I'm thinking my best bet will be some kind of cage structure that physically keeps them away.  ...Maybe a pvc frame because I shouldn't need nails or screws if I do it that way. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2018 at 1:42 PM, Jlailin said:

I did try this... I made the crazy hot pepper spray by simmering and steeping crazy hot peppers plus chili flakes.  My eyes were watering when I made it.  ...but I sprayed it on and I think my particular squirrels have a thing for spicy because they still ate everything.  ~_~  ...I'm thinking my best bet will be some kind of cage structure that physically keeps them away.  ...Maybe a pvc frame because I shouldn't need nails or screws if I do it that way. 

If you do the PVC frame, just be sure to keep an eye on it. The squirrels that live in my walnut tree are persistent AF lil buggers and are literally eating away at my trash can lid in hopes to get inside o.o 

• Like 2

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

On 5/27/2018 at 12:13 PM, Annabelle said:

If you do the PVC frame, just be sure to keep an eye on it. The squirrels that live in my walnut tree are persistent AF lil buggers and are literally eating away at my trash can lid in hopes to get inside o.o 

Omg, for real?!  That is crazy!  ...I mean I guess I did have squirrels eat a hole through one of my giant rubbermaid containers with gardening supplies.  ...but I was thinking plastic would be better than wood?  ...or is metal the only sure thing to use with the little buggers?  o_0  ...maybe I need to build my frame out of copper pipe?  <_<

• Like 1

Challenge update time!

Dance

• Going really well!  Attended all my classes.  My favorite kpop teacher has come back, which I'm really happy about.  :D  She has such good energy, and I love the way she teaches.  
  • At my Saturday Puzzle Box class, I got to learn the chorus to my favorite group's debut song--Mama by EXO!  Eeee!  I love that this class isn't focused on only new stuff--they focus more on the dance aspect, so it lets them bring back older dances like this one.  I feel like I am slowly making friends at this studio.  Yay for networking!
  • Lyrical Jazz class was so fun.  We did a piece to The Way You Make Me Feel by Michael Jackson, and it was so cute and the moves were so challenging.  We learned how to do backward c-jumps and we did little kick handstands in the middle.  It was a really fun piece.

Home

• I THINK MY GINGER SPROUTED!  Well, one eye has sprouted at least.  I do not think there were any old seeds of anything else in there.  I'll examine it more closely when I get home because I have no idea what a ginger sprout is supposed to look like.  All I know if that there is a tiny green thing poking out of the soil.
  • Still brainstorming on squirrel lock out system...

Body

• Intermittent fasting continues...
  • Strength training as my circuit didn't happen this week, but I did do a lot of arm balances since I joined the Crow PvP.  I think I can count that as a form of strength training, since I am holding up my body weight.
  • Meal prep didn't happen because of the long weekend.  Ergh.  >_<  This is going to be an expensive week unless I stay up late one night an scrounge something up.

Career

• The posting still isn't up, so I haven't applied yet.  However, I think I have made the decision of what I'd like to do given ideal conditions--if my vacation and salary needs are met by the position conversion, I'd like to stay with my current client and convert.  I know I can be successful either way I go, but I feel like there is more opportunity to grow if I dig my roots deeper.  I feel like once I'm in the company there are higher places I can reach for.
  • Like 2

I am playing catch up.  Following

On 5/25/2018 at 1:42 PM, Jlailin said:

Okay, what you may have made was sriracha. I have done this before and couldn't get near my stove.  A frame might help, but the only thing you can really do is make your plants harder to get at then the neighbors. They may not be able to chew through the copper pipe, but it may just mean they chew threw the rest of it, and  you will have to water more since the pipe will warm up adn keep the plant hotter.

I wish I had an answer, but we just "plant extra" for the animals around here, and I get more bunnies, woodchucks and raccoons than squirrels.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

17 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Home

• I THINK MY GINGER SPROUTED!  Well, one eye has sprouted at least.  I do not think there were any old seeds of anything else in there.  I'll examine it more closely when I get home because I have no idea what a ginger sprout is supposed to look like.  All I know if that there is a tiny green thing poking out of the soil.
  • Still brainstorming on squirrel lock out system...

yay on the ginger. A quick google search says it should look like these.

shutterstock_215608633.jpg

growinggingerathomeafreetutorial_aiid201

I hope its growing for you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am playing catch up.  Following

Yay!  Glad to have you here! :D 

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Okay, what you may have made was sriracha. I have done this before and couldn't get near my stove.  A frame might help, but the only thing you can really do is make your plants harder to get at then the neighbors. They may not be able to chew through the copper pipe, but it may just mean they chew threw the rest of it, and  you will have to water more since the pipe will warm up adn keep the plant hotter.

I wish I had an answer, but we just "plant extra" for the animals around here, and I get more bunnies, woodchucks and raccoons than squirrels.

Hmm, yeah, I would plant extra, but I'm on a third floor apartment balcony and there's not a ton of space.  My neighbors near me don't seem to garden very much, so all the squirrels see my balcony as a little squirrel oasis.  >_<  I wish I could just cage in my whole balcony like I've done with the bottom (so I don't have worry about my cat slipping through when I let him outside with me), but the building maintenance sometimes accesses the unit through the balcony door for carpet cleaning and stuff.  That is a good point about the temperature.  If I go with copper pipe, I will make sure to keep an eye on that.  

2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

yay on the ginger. A quick google search says it should look like these.

Rats... I think what is sprouting in the pot is an old pea sprout--although I have NO IDEA how it got in there and survived and didn't sprout before since I last grew peas three years ago...  It does look suspiciously like the sprouting peas I saw before, and it is supposed to be too early for the ginger to sprout as well.  Pretty sure it needs another week or two before it is supposed to sprout if it follows the 2-3 week to sprout thing I saw online.  ...I wonder what my mystery plant is though.  Maybe I'll dig it up when it gets a little bigger and put it in a different pot to see what it becomes.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Rats... I think what is sprouting in the pot is an old pea sprout--although I have NO IDEA how it got in there and survived and didn't sprout before since I last grew peas three years ago...  It does look suspiciously like the sprouting peas I saw before, and it is supposed to be too early for the ginger to sprout as well.  Pretty sure it needs another week or two before it is supposed to sprout if it follows the 2-3 week to sprout thing I saw online.  ...I wonder what my mystery plant is though.  Maybe I'll dig it up when it gets a little bigger and put it in a different pot to see what it becomes.   

Yay, mystery produce is always fun! I accidentally grew capsicum once; I had a veg plot at school and the teacher was just handing out random seeds :)

Wow, those squirrels are persistent! We don't have any in Australia (except maybe an escaped zoo population in Perth?) so maybe something like a eucalyptus oil mixture will surprise them away?

• Like 2
On 5/30/2018 at 9:40 AM, Jlailin said:

Hmm, yeah, I would plant extra, but I'm on a third floor apartment balcony and there's not a ton of space.  My neighbors near me don't seem to garden very much, so all the squirrels see my balcony as a little squirrel oasis.  >_<  I wish I could just cage in my whole balcony like I've done with the bottom (so I don't have worry about my cat slipping through when I let him outside with me), but the building maintenance sometimes accesses the unit through the balcony door for carpet cleaning and stuff.  That is a good point about the temperature.  If I go with copper pipe, I will make sure to keep an eye on that.  

That does make it hard. Good luck finding squirrel proofing material.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:40 AM, Jlailin said:

Mystery plants are fun. At the booth Youngest Agent's garden club had, we gave away "mystery plants" we had Planted them by seed and when htye were transplanted the labels fell off, so I could generally tell them the plant type, but could not say for sure what they would produce. Example would be "It will could be a broccoli or cauliflower, but I don't know which one" or "Its a sweet pepper, but I have no idea what color" those were the first thing we ran out of (they were also free).

• Like 2

On 5/30/2018 at 9:17 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Wow, those squirrels are persistent! We don't have any in Australia (except maybe an escaped zoo population in Perth?) so maybe something like a eucalyptus oil mixture will surprise them away?

Haha!  I know the eucalyptus will ward off the bugs here, but unfortunately it's also toxic to my kitty, so I can't use it since he tends to try to chomp on anything in my garden as well.  Honestly, between him and the squirrels it's like I'm only feeding the animals.  :P 

On 6/3/2018 at 4:33 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

Mystery plants are fun. At the booth Youngest Agent's garden club had, we gave away "mystery plants" we had Planted them by seed and when htye were transplanted the labels fell off, so I could generally tell them the plant type, but could not say for sure what they would produce. Example would be "It will could be a broccoli or cauliflower, but I don't know which one" or "Its a sweet pepper, but I have no idea what color" those were the first thing we ran out of (they were also free).

That sounds so fun!  I would think it would give you more motivation to grow them just to find out what they are!  :D  

• Like 1

I've been terrible about updating this...  This crazy dance schedule has been getting the better of me.  >_>  However, all dance goals are going well, so yay!

Home stuff has been woefully neglected.  I just haven't been spending enough time at home to think of and work on improvements.  ...and my ginger has not yet sprouted, but my mystery-most-likely-pea sprout is going strong!  ...Maybe I'll just have peas instead of ginger?  xD

Intermittent fasting is mostly good... I've broken the rules a few times because I was SO hungry post dance.  It's been fine though since my activity level has been so high.  ...I think if I want to continue the true intermittent fasting gaps I've had before, I will have to pay more attention to what I eat during the feasting period.  Need more protein~~~!

I've also noticed something rather interesting after getting to such a high activity level--I no longer have the desire to drink coffee/tea in the morning for the caffeine.  I wake up, and I'm just naturally buzzing with energy.  I got myself coffee/tea at work for about a week, but it kept sitting there undrunk by the end of the day.  Like I would take a sip or two for the taste, but then I just decided I didn't want it anymore--what I really wanted was just water.  It still feels weird to not go to the coffee machines at work--like part of my morning ritual is missing.  Sometimes I just want the smell of it around, but honestly the water is all I really need.  ...I do think I should get one of those ginormous water bottles, so I don't have to keep walking back and forth to refill these tiny cups though.  :P     

• Like 2

Glad the dance schedule is going so well and that it gave  you the extra energy boost. I think a big water bottle would be a great idea, and I hope you got one by now, but I can definatly see needing the extra food when your burning the extra calories. Sounds like you are doing good and I am sure the home stuff will get done when you have a chance.

Hopefully the pea plant is doing well. (and the ginger sprouts)

• Like 1