elizevdmerwe - More Bush Adventures

MrsVan

[This is a fictional background story speckled through with some true places and experiences]

More Bush Adventures

Part 2

Ever seen the sun set over a herd of elephant shaking off the last of their dust bath? The sky is streaked with blood red, rusty orange, golden yellows, and lilac and blue. Slowly mixing to form a dirty orange, then deeper rust brown, and finally fades away to black.

If you happen to look up at the night sky you’ll see Venus flickering. Outside city borders, you’ll soon be surrounded by an ink black night sprinkled liberally with pinpoints of stars in their thousands. Apparently you can see about 2000+ stars with your own eyes, more if you use a telescope. Here in the southern hemisphere the Southern Cross and Orion the Hunter are almost always on the scene.

If you are lucky and you experience the settling of night in the heart of African bush, you might hear The King give his last roar of authority over his kingdom. Crickets and frogs come out to get the bush orchestra going, with the occasional high pitched squeaks of bats on the hunt, or even night jars looking for those same musicians as an early snack.

Tonight I’m nursing a huge mug of coffee with cream. Just off the stoep in the fire pit, a fire is crackling in preparation for the braai. Guests to this piece of heartland almost always want a “tjoppie en wors” (lamb chop and sausage) on the grill, accompanied by traditional “krummelpap met sous” (crumbly maize porridge with tomato and onion sauce). A fire is always welcome in winter though. Tall tales abound around the crackle and pop of the wood.bv

coffee_fire_campfire_wood_mug-115058.jpg

In the dark beyond the fence, I can hear the soft shuffling sounds of the new residents, two hippo that came down river, making their way out of their water hole to graze on the succulent grass along the river bank, right up close to the house and guest cottages.

This piece of paradise is Little Miracles Rehabilitation Centre on the northern border of South Africa [fictitious park, but I’m basing it on the true and real Moholoholo Rehab centre in the Mpumalanga province and FreeMe KZN]. The Limpopo River meanders by a meagre 150m from the main house and is the border between South Africa and Zimbabwe [based on where my grandfather had his farm]. Unfortunately we often have uninvited visitors from across the border as well. Previously they “liberated” cattle, now they try to shoot game, seeing as these ones don’t truly run free, thus can’t escape.

5b0303270c344_06-QEPark.thumb.jpg.41cfce59359c9cd6e467d2ba7b68183b.jpg

When you have to “run with the wild” so to speak, it is important to stay fit and strong, and keep up to date with the pesky finance side as well! Unfortunately there are even less enjoyable jobs like patrolling and security, for the protection of both animals and guests. And lastly, but very important for everything else to work, sleep. In the bush you need enough sleep.

28--Moholoholo.jpg.432ced17dde43c1a42f50f56928e7a1c.jpg

In the coming weeks I’ll share some of our adventures as we go out on day hikes and explore the surrounding bush. Welcome, and I hope you have a wonderful visit.

---------------------------------------------

Week 0 will be my last prep week for Waterra. Week 1 of this challenge will be a down grade in activity before Brandt and I take part on 02 June. You are probably so sick and tired of hearing "Waterra"! Don't run! It's almost over! Just hang in there with me for another week+, please. Week 2-4 will be back to schedule. I'm shuffling strength training and walking around a bit. In order to help the boys to get fit and strong for hiking (rucking/backpacking/trail walking) I'm going to help them with strength and trail walking. This is what our schedule will look like.

Exercises:

• Mondays: Strength training early morning for myself
  • Tuesdays: OCR-circuit for the boys in the afternoons
  • Wednesdays: Walking for myself
  • Thursdays: Strength training early morning for myself
  • Fridays: Trail walking for all three of us in a local park, nat.reserve, bot.gardens... (at least on those Fridays that we don't have nature club)
  • PRIZE: Working off the weights we got 2 challenges ago

Finances:

• This is a real struggle! I need to work on finances at least once a week!
  • PRIZE: >>> To be determined

Security:

• Dry fire training on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday early mornings
  • Every day carry/Concealed carry at least 3x/week
  • PRIZE: AIWB holster in the bag from last challenge. Still need to get it. Bought a new, wider belly band holster.

Sleep:

• I need to go to bed earlier. Aiming now for lights out by 21h30, give or take 5min.
  • PRIZE: New pajamas of some kind or other
  • Like 5

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Following. I am not sick of Waterra.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I love the theme.It gives me such a wonderful feeling of what South Africa is like. SIck of Waterra? No way, I'm crazy excited for you !

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

15 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

You are probably so sick and tired of hearing "Waterra"!

Really? I think you're talking about the other people. I've been watching youtube videos about it and everything :P I can't wait to hear all about it! 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 5/21/2018 at 8:49 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I am not sick of Waterra.

Glad to have you here. And good, because I'm probably going to talk about it for a couple more days :D Although a big part of me wants to get to it now.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:50 PM, Elastigirl said:

I love the theme.It gives me such a wonderful feeling of what South Africa is like. SIck of Waterra? No way, I'm crazy excited for you !

The wilds and parks of South Africa at least. City is city... although I've heard South African cities are an eye-opener for international visitors. My nerves are seriously starting to climb up to "The Day" now!

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Really? I think you're talking about the other people. I've been watching youtube videos about it and everything :P I can't wait to hear all about it! 

:D I'm super nervous about the arm stuff, variations of monkey bars, but if there are space for my legs, then I can do them. Also becoming nervous about Brandt and I in a team together. Not bad nervous, as in "this is a bad idea", but ... this will be the first time we'll take part in a sport's event together. I've supported him tons of times when he took part in triathlons, cycling, mountain biking, running... driving to stops and even running part of the way to get to places and keep him going.

19 hours ago, annyshay said:

YAY ELIZE and more adventures! We want to hear ALL about ALL of them. ;) That first video took me right back to nights in Kruger sipping Amarula and watching the sun disappear.

Nothing like a night in Kruger Park! That video took me back to a camping night we had in a small game park close by...

10 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

This is a very creative theme!  I'll sub.... :)

Glad to see you again! You'll learn a bit more about South Africa to talk about with the relatives ;)

----------------------------------------------

I've been training, trying to keep going because I don't want to loose strength. But seriously I'm antsy... like a hot coal walker before he hits the coals. I'm changing my routines a little bit from week 2 on wards. I'm doing the normal morning routine of getting up at 4h50 for coffee and bible study, and then training after that till 6h00.

• Monday:
    • Joint circles warm up
    • Bear crawls warm up
    • Burpees 2x5 warm up
    • Bent over rows 3x8 @ 5kg
    • Pull ups w.t.p. (i.o.w. reverse pull ups) 6 | 7 | 5
    • Stretches
  • Tuesday:
    • Dry fire practice.
    • No circuit training -> town
  • Wednesday:
    • Started a little later because bad night - Rosebud and Zuzu disturbing our sleep, not tsotsi's (link has British and American English pronunciation) [Eric and Thoko reminded me of their Zulu word for young, black criminally intended guy.]
    • Plank2Pushup 1x10
    • Flutterkicks 3x30
    • Hollow hold 2x20sec
    • Bridge & Pinch 2x20sec
    • Crunches 1x30

This Friday is Nature Club again, so no walking in the nat.reserve. We are going to a leather workshop where they hand make leather shoes. Brandt and I stopped there about two years ago to buy shoes.

We've booked the shooting range for Saturday 10h00-12h00, to get some shooting practice in with the new pellet gun Brandt bought last month. For the boys and ourselves, and I'll do some extra pistol training. It is club shoot on Sunday, but Brandt wants to go to Cars in the Park (a car show of course), and the boys and I don't have to go with him, so we'll either go to the club shoot (so I get a round in for points again), or stay at home. Depending on the weather, etc.

I'm going to draw the rangers' symbol on my one walking t-shirt to take part in at Waterra. Will load a picture when it is done.

--------------------------------------------------

I think I've told this story before, but a couple of years ago, when the boys were still toddlers, I arranged a caravan camping trip over a long weekend for us, as a surprise birthday present for Brandt. It was middle of winter (end of July) and close to the Drakensberg, so cold was the only temperature day and night. It was a small camp, with only two other small groups (families) there. After putting the boys to bed one evening, Brandt and I decided to walk around the camp a bit. It was safe w.r.t. predators as all camps in game parks are fenced in and locked or guarded. We were walking down the main dirt road, holding hands, talking softly with each other, no lights shining except some distant ones at the ablution block, and the crescent moon. It was a beautiful, clear night with stars as far as the eye could see.

As we strolled on, and later fell silent, we realised that the crickets and other night time insects had also stopped their background chorus, so we both stopped and cautiously started looking around, but not really able to see anything other than dark silhouettes. We heard shuffling and soft snorting sounds coming from somewhere behind us. Grass rustling softly, and then everything became deathly quiet again!

Brandt and I were facing each other, relatively close together, each looking around nervously over the other's shoulder and where ever we could pierce the dark night. We stood quietly for maybe 5 minutes? It felt like a lifetime! Then all of a sudden with a loud snort and some puffed air from their noses, out ran two warthogs from the side of the road and right at us! They tend to do that to take possible threats out. We must have jumped apart, and I squeaked from fright! I felt the one scrape my leg, and Brandt felt the other one scrape his leg! When we could gather our thoughts again, we started laughing nervously and I hugged Brandt so fiercely! We decided to rather spend the rest of the evening around the camp fire.

Butynski-de-Jong-common-warthog-sibiloi-

africa-animals8-53a7b8505756a6af5609cd26

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

:D I'm super nervous about the arm stuff, variations of monkey bars, but if there are space for my legs, then I can do them. Also becoming nervous about Brandt and I in a team together. Not bad nervous, as in "this is a bad idea", but ... this will be the first time we'll take part in a sport's event together. I've supported him tons of times when he took part in triathlons, cycling, mountain biking, running... driving to stops and even running part of the way to get to places and keep him going.

Those kinds of nerves are to be expected! Especially since this is the first time you two have done anything like this together. I also understand the feeling once you get to the part where everything you can do to prepare has been done and you just want it to happen already :) 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Wild Hogs of any kind are no joke. In Texas the Feral Hogs (previously domesticated hogs that have gotten lose and run wild) are so bad the state legislature passed a law allowing people to hunt them from helicopters.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 5/21/2018 at 12:13 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

Week 0 will be my last prep week for Waterra. Week 1 of this challenge will be a down grade in activity before Brandt and I take part on 02 June. You are probably so sick and tired of hearing "Waterra"! Don't run! It's almost over! Just hang in there with me for another week+, please. Week 2-4 will be back to schedule. I'm shuffling strength training and walking around a bit. In order to help the boys to get fit and strong for hiking (rucking/backpacking/trail walking) I'm going to help them with strength and trail walking....

Yeah, actually I'm truly happy to hear about Waterra.  like you I have a huge event happening very soon and I KNOW how it tends to enter your every thought;  espacially when you work at training for these events.  so feel free to share how important this race is to us; its part of the motivation.

Also I wanted to add; that your original post is probably One of the Best posts nearly anyone has put up here on the rebellion.  (and that's a Tale order indeed; there have been So very incredible posts). ;)

I really felt transported to south africa despite knowing so little of the African bush.  Any natural place and an adventure is always spectacular- but every locale has its own charm and you have done an exceptional job in sharing it.

• Like 4

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Those kinds of nerves are to be expected! Especially since this is the first time you two have done anything like this together. I also understand the feeling once you get to the part where everything you can do to prepare has been done and you just want it to happen already :) 

That especially! Brandt is cool and calm, I'm trying for cool and calm :D but the nerves!

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Wild Hogs of any kind are no joke. In Texas the Feral Hogs (previously domesticated hogs that have gotten lose and run wild) are so bad the state legislature passed a law allowing people to hunt them from helicopters.

You're right, they are all dangerous! They have a vicious bite. Take a couple of rural South Africans for a hunt. They'll soon have the numbers down.

11 hours ago, annyshay said:

When I was at a camp in Uganda, they could not tell us enough times that if we kept food in our tents we would have warthog visitors. They were cute walking around the camp, but I'm glad not to have had a run in with them. Those horns look like no joke.

Those tusks can cut you like a knife! Why Brandt and I were so glad that night that we only felt them brush against us. It could have been much worse. I love it when a family runs over the road with their little antenna tails straight up in the air :D

Didn't you have monkey problems in Uganda? Because monkeys (especially vervets) and food are just as dangerous. Not to mention the baboons in the Cape and Drakensberg. The latter have a reputation for "ambushing" hikers in The Berg, pulling backpacks off people, tearing the bags, trying to find food/treats. When I did the Giant's Cup hike (5 days +- 50km) the leader warned us if we encountered a troop of baboons, to take our packs off, put it down and back away. We did encounter some, but didn't have a big problem because there was a young guy in our group who hiked ahead of us, making a lot of noise :apologetic:. He drew the baboons to him, basically. The 3 or so baboons pulled his day pack off his back and got all his snacks for the day out. When we rounded the corner we started shouting and flapping our arms, and the 6 of us were maybe a bit too much for them, or they thought they've stolen enough food loot. They ran away as fast as they could. His day pack was ruined, but he luckily still had his big backpack. The one man's wife took some people's big backpacks every day to that night's hut/sleeping accommodations, then they only hiked with a day pack. I was training for the Fish River Canyon hike, so I kept my backpack with me the whole time.

4 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Yikes!  That warthog encounter sounds awesome !!!!

RL

It is thrilling afterwards, and part of stories to share, but as @Tanktimus the Encourager mentioned, all hogs are dangerous. Basically all creatures in the wild can be dangerous. Probably why a lot of people want to "go on safari" :D We were very lucky that we didn't even have scrapes to show. I have a huge respect for the animals, but love their reactions to people in most instances, too. Like the curious giraffes. But that's a story for another day ;)

8 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yeah, actually I'm truly happy to hear about Waterra.  like you I have a huge event happening very soon and I KNOW how it tends to enter your every thought;  espacially when you work at training for these events.  so feel free to share how important this race is to us; its part of the motivation.

Thank you so much for your support! I'm also keeping an eye on your big walk, which is after Denver, isn't it? I told some of my friends here about Waterra, but they aren't interested, only the one mom whom the boys do Lego with asked me what I'm training for and asked more about it. Every week after my walk around their farm roads, she asks my time and distance. It is super sweet of her, and I really appreciate that I have her and you guys here for support and encouragement.

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Also I wanted to add; that your original post is probably One of the Best posts nearly anyone has put up here on the rebellion.  (and that's a Tale order indeed; there have been So very incredible posts). ;)

I really felt transported to south africa despite knowing so little of the African bush.  Any natural place and an adventure is always spectacular- but every locale has its own charm and you have done an exceptional job in sharing it.

Oh wow! Oh my! Thank you so much for those words. *blush* I love my country, and I love the animals :D:flustered: I need the theme to also hold me accountable to take the boys walking in the nature reserves, otherwise we'll probably settle for walking in the botanical gardens, or the one sports track Brandt suggested, but funny enough the nature reserves are safer than our streets at this stage, and much nicer. I don't want this to fizzle out like previously.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mentioned that I did some core exercises yesterday morning, and then I walked yesterday afternoon (Wed). It was only 4km, because we ended up at Lego almost 30min. early, so I shot off to the gun shop in the neighbouring town (10-15min from Lego), got a new belly band and organised for us to go shooting Saturday morning. Got back in time for 4km walk in 45min. so this round was much slower than the previous two, but it was also a lot warmer +- 29-31C.

Brandt mentioned to his colleague on Tuesday that we want to take the boys on the cave hike this year, and when I spoke to him Tuesday afternoon, H said he and his wife are just as keen to do that hike again. They will try to organise a date, but at this stage it seems most likely to be over the weekend of 24 September, as that is a long weekend for us. I'll ask him next week whether he has had a chance to arrange anything, otherwise I'll get on the wagon and book the cave hike for that weekend.

Bank rant - again:

Spoiler

While walking yesterday, the bank that Brandt has his credit and cheque cards with phoned me again, wanting to talk to him. I told the lady (politely!) that she will have to talk to me as I can't give out Brandt's number. She rudely interrupted me and threatened to block his account if I didn't give his number to her immediately. So of course that got my dander up and I told her she had no right to do that, as everything is in order (we aren't even in the red!), and I have full authority on all Brandt's accounts, which she would know, if the bank didn't continue to throw away our hard copy documents and erase their systems! She had actually put the phone down while I was still talking to her! She literally hung up on me! I phoned Brandt, told him what happened, and this was now the final straw. He went to the banks yesterday to enquire about new accounts, and he is going to finalise things this week or in the new month, after all our debit orders have gone off. But he would rather get everything done today, which is a bit of a hassle as I have to go into the internet banking profile and write down all our beneficiaries that we pay personally, like the boys' sport and extra-mural payments, curricula suppliers, etc. It is rather a long list, so I decided no school today.

So finances of a sort will be done today. We also had a very bad night again last night, this time due to municipality fixing broken water pipes between 11h00-3h00 in the street. The dogs were barking every now and again, there were very loud talking, car doors slamming, alarms going off... So I only got up just before 6h00 this morning. I'm not in a very good mood today at all.

Adam's Wessa video advert just came in, so hopefully that will lift my spirits!

https://www.facebook.com/umngenivalley/videos/1472764376163254/?t=1

• Like 4

Sorry about the bank. I'm glad you'll be leaving them. Also, I really want to hear the giraffe story.

• Like 2

Wow - following your amazing adventures yet again.  Good luck on the training!!!

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

On 5/24/2018 at 2:39 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Those tusks can cut you like a knife! Why Brandt and I were so glad that night that we only felt them brush against us. It could have been much worse. I love it when a family runs over the road with their little antenna tails straight up in the air :D

SO cute. So deadly.

Didn't you have monkey problems in Uganda?

Strangely enough no. Most of the time I was in Kampala, so the monkeys stayed away from all the urban shenanigans. My trip out to Murchison Falls there weren't many monkeys. That's weird now that I think about it.

We did encounter some, but didn't have a big problem because there was a young guy in our group who hiked ahead of us, making a lot of noise :apologetic:. He drew the baboons to him, basically. The 3 or so baboons pulled his day pack off his back and got all his snacks for the day out. When we rounded the corner we started shouting and flapping our arms, and the 6 of us were maybe a bit too much for them, or they thought they've stolen enough food loot. They ran away as fast as they could. His day pack was ruined, but he luckily still had his big backpack.

That sucks. My only monkey encounter involved a bunch of vervets getting into our car and stealing our snacks when we stopped at an overlook in Kruger. I swear the windows were only open an inch at most. Sneaky buggers. I have some chapstick that they left behind with the teeth marks to prove it. ;)

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about the bank. I'm glad you'll be leaving them. Also, I really want to hear the giraffe story.

Me too!!!

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Late to the party, but following! And nope - not sick of hearing about Waterra - far from it! I want to hear all about it!

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

On 5/24/2018 at 1:39 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Like the curious giraffes. But that's a story for another day

Looking forward to that one.  I remember my one time in Africa getting surrounded by a herd of elephants heading east across a northbound road.  The ones in front of us were at the head of the herd, and so we stopped and waited while what was at least 30 but maybe 100 passed us... front and back, right near the car, very unnerving.

• Like 3

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

On 5/24/2018 at 4:57 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Brandt's finally getting into gear about the bank. He's been threatening and threatening, but it is such a schlep to get things changed. Also because he works for himself, the one bank he wanted to go to, didn't want to give him a personal account because he doesn't have any payslips! Or the clerk didn't really know what was going on, because they now have no problem accommodating him with both a cheque and credit card account. Anyway...

On 5/24/2018 at 7:53 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Wow - following your amazing adventures yet again.  Good luck on the training!!!

Awesome to have you along on the safari!

On 5/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, annyshay said:

I have some chapstick that they left behind with the teeth marks to prove it. ;)

What a memento :D

On 5/25/2018 at 12:23 PM, annyshay said:

Me too!!!

Curious, are you?

On 5/25/2018 at 2:57 PM, Rhovaniel said:

Late to the party, but following! And nope - not sick of hearing about Waterra - far from it! I want to hear all about it!

A week left! I'm at that point which @jonfirestar put so eloquently - I just want to get it over with, but watching their videos of previous events makes me very nervous :P

18 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Looking forward to that one.  I remember my one time in Africa getting surrounded by a herd of elephants heading east across a northbound road.  The ones in front of us were at the head of the herd, and so we stopped and waited while what was at least 30 but maybe 100 passed us... front and back, right near the car, very unnerving.

Elephant are just as dangerous! They turn a car over with no effort! And if your car is in the way of where they want to cross, especially if it is a moody matriarch in the lead, she'll push it out of the way, or flap her ears at the car and trumpets. But that I've only seen in videos of people, luckily not experienced first hand.

-------------------------------------------------

One Saturday afternoon hike, I joined the group to visit Bisley Nature reserve. The usual Bisley hike leader couldn't go, so Francois, a friend from church lead the 2-3hr walk through the park. He was also an experienced leader, but the park had changed their main walking trail in the meantime, and he hadn't tried it out before the day. We got a little ... side tracked, trying to find the new trail and ended up on a trail that took us right towards the giraffes' "area", where they had new youngsters. This is a normal nature reserve, thus only outside fences, no camps or enclosures inside, and you walk among the animals: giraffe, zebra, buck mostly, and a lot of birds. The giraffe (but all animals basically) can sometimes get up tight if you are too close to their young, and we were warned that afternoon, by people who were leaving just as we got there, that the giraffes seemed "high spirited", so as a group we thought we'd rather stay away if we see them.

But it had rained and the veld was lush, with high green tops, hiding giraffe necks, which otherwise would have stuck out above. A clear indication of where they found themselves. So we were walking, following F, stopped for a lot of birds (wet, seeds aplenty, wild fruits), and had a short rest in a wooded area. As we went from almost dark, cold shade, to a huge piece of open grass, with some Acacias (thorn trees) dotted along it, we didn't really see anything different. I for one didn't see the giraffes just on the other side of the trees. But suddenly there were legs all around, and I think the warning when we started made us more nervous. They weren't really close. Maybe 15-20m behind the trees, at that stage, but as we walked along the path, they walked as well. Same direction. I remember seeing young ones, and they started coming closer. We became a long worm on the path sometimes right up against each other, at other times stretched out. At one of these stretched out times, on this slight uphill, and the front walkers deciding they should put some speed in their walking, the giraffes came a lot closer to us, streeeeetching their necks out to really have a good look at us!

63-KrugerPark-stretch.jpg.65aef3458981be38c77063179e71166c.jpg

They were close! It felt like they were towering over us! I remember seeing a huge head aways in front of me, not touching close, tongue sticking out, and then the neck and head was pulled back again. Then they would gallop a bit up the path again, and stick their necks out again towards us! We got to another section of the path that meandered through dense wooded area, and in the first clearing we all got together and it was crazy with laughter and sighs and giggling and others just shuddering! But it was also an amazing experience seeing them up close and so curious. Those necks are very muscular as they use them for fights, so the chance was there that someone could have been knocked around, but it didn't happen.

Another time (Aug 2016), while driving in the Kruger National Park with mil and the two boys, I came around a corner and there were a group of about 5-7 giraffe standing around, munching on scrumptious leaves. One did walk closer to the car (photo above0, so we sat quietly watching, windows rolled up tight! He continued his leisurely stroll past our car, bending his neck down a bit to give us the once over, before moving on to have more lunch.

EDIT: Giraffe, buck, zebra, and the like are seen as "harmless" as they tend to be docile and won't easily attack people. That is why there are numerous trails through reserves where these animals are. Elephant, hippos, rhinos and of course predators are a different story.

62-KrugerPark.thumb.jpg.00dc9b2d0487e1cbddef757975fb9d14.jpg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Maybe I need it as a second middle name. Or my Narnia queen title? Queen Shannon the Curious. It used to be Vigilant... but...

Giraffe story has assuaged my curiosity! Also, Gambit is the chillest giraffe. Lucky he didn't get hurt!

Nothing wrong with being curious :D And you are still vigilant, just maybe about other things than you previously were.

He is so cute, but that guy has a way with wild life.

--------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to update about my week 0, and Friday.

The boys and I went to Nature Club, which was an outing to a shoe "factory" where they still make some of their shoes by hand. It is a small private company here in Curry's Post, and as I took the wrong turnoff (which was the right road, but not in the condition I thought it should be, and not the easiest road to the place), we drove by Karkloof Conservancy. The boys and I really had a moment of doubt - should we rather stop and walk, or continue to Groundcover shoe factory? As they were waiting for us, we continued on, but Karkloof is now also on my radar.

Got there, and the 30+ kids and 10+ parents were a bit much to take in one group, so they divided us. We had to wait until the first group had the tour of the place, so we walked the garden, and surrounding horse paddock. There was a beautiful statue (scene) of the folk tale "The shoemaker and the elves", which the kids gathered around. One of the kids asked for the story and I stood there not wanting to always be the one to give the info, tell the story, etc. but none,  really none of the other parents knew the story, so sigh, I told them, because yes, I knew the story well. Then some of the younger kids asked about the tools that were cemented on the statue, and I explained what some of them were used for. The one dad first said he was waiting for more stories, then asked me how I seem to know so much about everything, even folk tales, and I stood there with my mouth full of teeth. Told him I read it numerous times as a child. Some of the moms were snickering and saying things behind their hands, which made me really feel like the elephant in the room, rather than happy that I knew the story and could answer some of the kids' questions. Rather than stand/sit among them feeling out, I took the boys over to the horse paddock, where we spent some time with him and the "farm" dog. The tour later was very informative, and as Brandt and I have bought shoes from them, I only smiled when one of the ladies walked past me, pointing at my sandals and said in a sing-song voice: "someone's wearing our sandals". Which of course got me another round of stares from some of the moms again. I just felt out. I don't often feel like this at Nature club, but I felt like I just wanted to get in the car and go home. We left shortly after the tour, anyway, and Brandt came home very early (15h00-ish), so the rest of the day was good.

Anyway... I did my training Friday morning, still on old schedule. Next week will be different.

Brandt and I had booked the shooting range for this morning (Saturday), to teach the boys about the pellet gun. They loved it. Rocco was difficult, somewhat moody, but as soon as he was shooting, he forgot about his attitude. He said Brandt and I was too hard on them about the safety rules and do's and don'ts, but although we were very strict, and I did maybe speak a bit sharply to him, it is things we've mentioned before and he seemed careless. Then again, he is only 9 years old, but I don't want to take any chances with safety and fire arms!

four_primary_gun_safety_rules.jpg?fit=50

I impressed on both why there are safety rules and why they need to adhere to them. Anyway... after that things went well. It wasn't really a "date day" for Brandt and I, but we enjoyed the time there with the kids, and had a good time getting to know the new pellet, and I took the chance later to practice some fast shooting (for double taps) on the bottom pistol range. I'm very happy with how my draw and holster has improved, as well as the fact that I'm faster on focusing and changing magazines. All from dry fire practice. Brandt had me shooting from standing, kneeling and prone with the pellet, which was good practice as well.

On the way back we stopped for food. Kentucky! It was the boys' first time ever that they had KFC, which was why we decided we'll buy it. I love the crumbly chicken, but haven't had any since the boys were toddlers, when they had the serious gluten/asthma problem and we were strictly on Banting. And I have to admit, I LOVE KFC's mash and gravy. I don't know why, I just love that sauce especially.

So summary for week 0: weekdays only

• First 15: 3/5 mornings
  • AM exercises: 3/3 mornings
  • Dry fire: 2/2 mornings
  • EDC/CC: 1/5 days :( properly CC'ed. An hour or two wasn't counted.
  • Finances: 2 days of some sort of finances
  • PM exercises: 1/2 afternoons
  • Sleep: 3/5 nights

Friday:

• Joint circles - warm up
  • High knees twist 10x - warm up
  • Plank2Pushup 5x - warm up
  • Cross over lunges 10x - warm up
  • Front lunges (no weights) - 2x10
  • Deadlifts - 5x5 @ 35kg
  • Cobra stretch
  • Bridge & Pinch stretch - 1x20sec
  • Downward dog stretch - 2x
  • Sit-twist stretch
  • Like 8

FRIED CHICKEN! True story, I have preached in churches before and been "paid" with a meal of fried chicken.

• Like 5

Sorry you felt  like you didn't fit in at Nature club.I think it's wonderful that you remember the stories

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien