• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MikeW

Mike Wazowski: Becoming Unbreakable?

19 hours ago, Grumble said:

SSHHHH!

Your secret is decidedly *unsafe* with me lol.

Week ?, Day 2: Did the morning stuff and got in a super quick workout. Work was OK, but nothing special. I'm very "meh" on my current project, but finding open internal roles is also a bit of a struggle (and TBH, I know that my career passion isn't here anyhow, so it's ok for this to just be a job). A miscommunication over email didn't help - turns out someone didn't realize I wasn't two of my friends' manager and thought he was asking me about them as their manager (whereas I thought this was just a friendly chat between colleagues). Whoops!

Evening was way better, though! Kids' class was commandeered by my coach and made into a seminar on how to plan out and execute practices, and I actually got a lot of value out of it for approaching my own practice time. Then had a 90-minute practice with my partner where we just repped our choreo a bunch to progressively faster music - still not comp-ready, but a heck of a lot closer! Finished with a call with SO that was cut short by him getting a call from his work (at 10 pm) - poor guy has a super stressful week. Still ended the day on a mostly happy note.

• Like 6

heyo! also props to making friendly chat with colleagues even if it was misinterpreted. wasn't it a challenge goal a while back to be more open and friendly at work?

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, MikeW said:

Oh nice!!! I do am-am, but like the pretty serious categories (currently Novice / Prechamp, but previously have done Prechamp / Champ, if that means anything to you). I've done the camp at Empire (plus a trip over to Brooklyn for their group class the night before) and it's on my list of comps to check out too! Maybe our paths will still cross if we're lucky lol.

I gotcha.  Yeah I know what those are (only recently though haha I've been investigating all the things - it's surprisingly difficult to find out info about all that stuff online?!)

Even if our paths don't cross at a comp you definitely have to let me know next time you're in NYC!! We can grab nerd lunch or dinner or beverage or something!

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Evening was way better, though! Kids' class was commandeered by my coach and made into a seminar on how to plan out and execute practices, and I actually got a lot of value out of it for approaching my own practice time.

I'm a little jealous of this it sounds so useful! I want to be able to "program" my dance practices like I program my lifting! My teachers say they're going to do a little seminar on how to practice but it hasn't happened yet.  Maybe I should poke them about it.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 9:56 AM, raptron said:

So much good dancingggg! And also super glad stuff is going well with your partner. 

Yuuuuuup, all the dancinggggg. And I'm super glad as well :D

23 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

heyo! also props to making friendly chat with colleagues even if it was misinterpreted. wasn't it a challenge goal a while back to be more open and friendly at work?

Yup!!! Seems so long ago, some reorgs gave me a built-in very friendly group in my immediate group and overall I'm much happier and more connected feeling at work these days.

20 hours ago, Raxie said:

I gotcha.  Yeah I know what those are (only recently though haha I've been investigating all the things - it's surprisingly difficult to find out info about all that stuff online?!)

I feel you there - it's super tough to learn what all the junk means (esp. on the pro/am side of things).

Even if our paths don't cross at a comp you definitely have to let me know next time you're in NYC!! We can grab nerd lunch or dinner or beverage or something!

For sure!! I'll hit you up next time I'm near NYC for sure.

I'm a little jealous of this it sounds so useful! I want to be able to "program" my dance practices like I program my lifting! My teachers say they're going to do a little seminar on how to practice but it hasn't happened yet.  Maybe I should poke them about it.

It was for sure useful - at a high level, the idea was to work from theory into individual dances into individual components (like a figure, or even smaller like the forward walks within a figure) and then work on pieces of theory within that. Questions to ask: What am I practicing? How am I going to practice it? For how long? How many reps? How will I know if I'm fixing it? (And afterward) Did I fix it? So how I'm going to start approaching it is keeping a running backlog of things I need to be working on, then pick enough topics to fill up my practice time to really work on my elements of dance (cause I've got a long backlog, especially thanks to weekly technique classes and not having much focused practice work the past 4 months).

• Like 2

Week 4?, Day 2: Morning workout didn't happen, but got a solid leg workout in at lunch (DB BSS / 1 leg RDL, plus glute drills, some abs, and some jumpy conditioning circuits). Work was pretty solid - feel like I'm slowly making progress on my main project, and found a promising lead on new roles within the company. Dance teaching was a BLAST - had some hilarious moments, including telling my girls to quit running into a metaphorical parked car (me) during one of the steps. Didn't do my usual evening wind down and instead spent a bunch of time starting to compile my notes from the past 4 months of dance lessons into a couple pages of to-do lists to feed into better organized practices (the goal: process ALL THE INFO - we'll see how well this works lol).

Today is a pretty short day at work - we have a department fun day, so I'm literally getting paid to do teambuilding today. :D 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, MikeW said:

So how I'm going to start approaching it is keeping a running backlog of things I need to be working on, then pick enough topics to fill up my practice time to really work on my elements of dance (cause I've got a long backlog, especially thanks to weekly technique classes and not having much focused practice work the past 4 months).

Oooh I love this idea. It makes so much sense. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Smart idea to approach the dancing like that - done well that can convert a lot of value in almost any skill...

53 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Oooh I love this idea. It makes so much sense. 

That's the hope!! I've always fallen short in the past on actually then doing the things once I've compiled stuff into to-do lists, but hopefully the new-ish approach (really, a codification of how I sometimes work) will help as I try to process all the info I'm getting to make my movement better.

Week 4, Day 3: Skipped morning workout, had a quick morning of work before heading to a department fun day / teambuilding event - I picked up the food for the event, and let me tell you, sandwiches, chips, and cookies for 100 people take up way more space than you realize. That event wrapped up early enough that I was able to mosey over to the gym for a pilates workout plus swimming laps before teaching dance (group plus one-on-one after). Dance partner had to cancel on practice due to a really bad infection on her leg, so I got to head home early, where I did dishes, set out clothes for today, and then fell asleep on the couch watching TV - whoops! Guess some days you need a real nothing evening. Decided to drop gratitude journaling and Qi Gong breathing as they weren't serving me, but taking time to pray every morning has been continuing to be helpful as a way to start out the day so that's sticking around.

The swimming (total 1,250 yards or meters, still not sure which one my fitness center pool is):

• 500 SKIPS (100 swim, 100 kick, 100 IM, 100 pull, 100 swim) - 11:00
  • 6 x 50 free, focusing on pulling form - each 1:10
  • 2 mins rest
  • 4 x 100 IM - wanted these every 2:00, ended up being 2:10 after the first one
  • 50 EZ

All the above reinforced how slow my swimming is currently, and how poor my endurance is, but it's all a process and I'll enjoy the slow growth as I get back used to this.

• Like 7

Week 4, Day 4: It was a pretty solid day at work - had a few meetings, got lunch with a friend (who I may start working with again soon!), and found some time to run away to another building for focused thinking on my big project. Went to the gym after work and got a nice upper body sesh in, nothing to write home about but not bad either (also, handstands are slowly sorting themselves out!!).

Also, yesterday was the first day of experimenting with MOAR COFFEE, but all before noon in the vein of @Gemma - I think it was a success, but it may be too early to tell. #selfmedicating my ADHD y'all. And sleep has been going pretty well this week, getting 8 hours or more pretty much every night.

Dance lesson was...interesting. We got our whole samba choreographed and on video with time to spare, and I also got some notes from my coach on big opportunities for my partner to be hammering in practice. Excited to train a bunch this weekend - partner's out of town and SO is super busy, so I'll be packing in lots of hours of training (hopefully).

• Like 7

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

Dance lesson was...interesting. We got our whole samba choreographed and on video

Samba!

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

Also, yesterday was the first day of experimenting with MOAR COFFEE, but all before noon in the vein of @Gemma - I think it was a success, but it may be too early to tell. #selfmedicating my ADHD y'all. And sleep has been going pretty well this week, getting 8 hours or more pretty much every night.

Now on tenterhooks waiting to see if I'm a good influence or a terrible one. Yay for good sleeping, though!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 6/22/2018 at 6:10 PM, Gemma said:

Samba!

Ok, now I really need to watch this movie. Even if I cringed watching the lifts - so dangerous on a crowded floor!

On 6/22/2018 at 6:10 PM, Gemma said:

Now on tenterhooks waiting to see if I'm a good influence or a terrible one. Yay for good sleeping, though!!!

giphy.gif

Early signs point to good influence! Experiment of self-medicating for work focus seems to be helping, especially with a cutoff at around noon.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:50 PM, scalyfreak said:

I really do need to rewatch that movie at some point... 

I need to watch it for the first time, so you're still ahead of me.

On 6/24/2018 at 7:06 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Love seeing you killin' it!!!

Awww, thanks friend!! I didn't feel like I was killin' it most of the time, but I'm probably over-anchoring to the one week where I did nothing thanks to strep.

Challenge Wrap up: Didn't actually hold to the goals I started with (what were those again?) but had some wins still:

• Got back in the habit of getting lots of sleep / started adjusting my life to make that possible (i.e. ditching morning workouts)
  • Learned some new mobility drills and ways to self-massage my perpetual trouble spots (read: everything in my upper back, everything around my hips)
  • Found cardio I enjoy (swimming)
  • Got back in the habit of praying daily
  • Did some good journaling, then abandoned it when it was no longer serving me
  • Chilled out a lot with my training and got patient with very slow strength gains
  • Tweaked my diet around the margins to get more fruits and veggies in

Ok, I guess there were a lot of wins. Challenge successful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Ok, now I really need to watch this movie. Even if I cringed watching the lifts - so dangerous on a crowded floor!

I've also been told I need to watch this movie and haven't gotten around to it yet - I feel like this video makes me want watch it but also to turn it into a drinking game haha. I've been kind of meh about watching it but that looks freaking hilarious, not what I expected.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I guess there were a lot of wins

So many wins!!! Awesome job :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I've also been told I need to watch this movie and haven't gotten around to it yet - I feel like this video makes me want watch it but also to turn it into a drinking game haha. I've been kind of meh about watching it but that looks freaking hilarious, not what I expected.

SAME TO BOTH!!! I need to recruit my ballroom friends to turn this into a drinking game.

11 minutes ago, Raxie said:

So many wins!!! Awesome job :D

THANKS!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeW said:
  • Got back in the habit of getting lots of sleep / started adjusting my life to make that possible (i.e. ditching morning workouts)
  • Learned some new mobility drills and ways to self-massage my perpetual trouble spots (read: everything in my upper back, everything around my hips)
  • Found cardio I enjoy (swimming)
  • Got back in the habit of praying daily
  • Did some good journaling, then abandoned it when it was no longer serving me
  • Chilled out a lot with my training and got patient with very slow strength gains
  • Tweaked my diet around the margins to get more fruits and veggies in

Ok, I guess there were a lot of wins. Challenge successful.

giphy.gif

Because nothing says 'great challenge, Mike, you really did awesome!' like a mulleted McCartney :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Awww, thanks friend!! I didn't feel like I was killin' it most of the time, but I'm probably over-anchoring to the one week where I did nothing thanks to strep.

You might not notice it the same way, but from on outside perspective it looks like you're taking giant steps when it comes to things like relationships, and dancing and career and mental health - all huge and important things!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1