Prologue - Annabelle’s Next Novel

Annabelle

[Pre-Challenge: Complete Mindset Module of the Academy]

“OMG Hi! Long time listener - first time caller”

Yeeeah… not really. My last 4-week challenge was in April of 2016. A lil over 2 years ago. I’ve hit some snags.. A lot of snags. I’ll spare you all the TL;DR wall-o-text. Long story short, 2016 was a terrible year in a lot of ways… and I thought what I learned and endured through 2016 would lead me to a great 2017. It didn’t.

I’m starting from square one now. Story time will happen throughout my journey, sorta like a narrator to put all the pieces together. I’m going to be using these 4 week challenges to catalog my progress through the NF Academy, and supplementing those quests with little extras here and there. Nothing crazy. No more jumping into everything with a mighty furor just to burn out in 6 weeks. No more assuming I obviously know all the answers I just need to “motivate” myself.

I’ve got a basic start of ideas for how I’m going to literally ease back into these challenges - and that’ll come later. Right now, I’ve got the pre-challenge I’ve set for myself to go back through and complete my Mindset module of the NF Academy. I won’t apologize - I’m gonna probably spam the everloving s- out of this thread while I do.

Thanks to the mindset module, I have a handful of quests lined up starting today (yep - today!)

Quest: I am the type of person who will drink more water.

• I will limit myself to one 12oz soda per day at most for the next four weeks

Quest: I am the type of person who cares about her health.

• I will take the dog for a walk every morning during the work week, and every evening on the weekends.

Quest: I am the type of person who enjoys cooking for her family.

• I will stick to my meal plan 4-5 days a week.

Quest: I am the type of person who takes pride in her appearance.

• I will be more diligent by brushing/flossing both morning and night, along with a morning/night face wash

Quest: I am the type of person who is diligent in her commitment to herself.

• I will check in via the NF Rebellion (the 4 week challenge, or my personal battle log depending on the day) every. Day. to keep myself honest about my progress and my goals.

I'll be adding in bits here and there, as well as updating my Mindset Module link (going to the Google Doc where I'll have my Before pictures/measurements/Big Why/etc) as I continue on and make my progress throughout the 4 weeks.  ♥ 

-Annabelle

• Like 9

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

Woohoo! I'm another long-time absent person who's looking to get back to making progress, though my last challenge was May, 2017. 

Here's to exercising good judgement and making slow, consistent progress.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

On 5/22/2018 at 12:51 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Welcome back to both of you! I also recently returned after a long absence, and started the NF Academy again from scratch, so I totally know the feeling. It's nice to have a fresh start, and best of luck for your challenges :D

Thanks! I saw the trend this challenge of all the returning rebels. Keeping the fingers crossed that this works out. I've gotten rid of a lot of excess stress and obligations so it should be all about me ♥ at least that's the plan

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

My pre-challenge is coming along pretty well. I'm trying to keep it all together in a Google Doc right now, so I don't space out or forget something (I'm notoriously bad at remembering -things-, but if it's written down and outlined for me to see its so much easier to keep it together). Once I get through the majority of it, prior to the 4-week challenge opening up officially, I'll link it in my signature :) as I post up the actual quests for my 4-week challenge.

Mindset Module Part 12 - Hack Your Sleep  [Tracking sleep habits for a week]

There was a warning involved when I posted this thread. :highly_amused:

What time did you wake up, and what time did you actually get out of bed?    around 5:45, out of bed just before 6

How many times did you hit snooze?   I didn’t!

After work, how much television did you watch?  After you finished watching, did you go right to bed?  Did you fall asleep with the TV on?   I came home from the movies around 9:30, watched about an hour of TV - hockey playoffs & jeopardy DVR, then spent 15 minutes-ish winding down from TV on my phone before doing my nighttime routine stuff

How long did you lie in bed before actually falling asleep (obviously this will be tough to tell, but you can estimate).   Uh… best I can estimate would be 20-30 minutes? It wasn’t immediate sleep, but I did toss around a bit before I finally fell asleep

20 hours ago, Dyego said:

Just wanted to hop in and say congrats for Returning, Rebel! I applaud your bravery in posting your Mindset Module Diary. I don't think I could do that, personally, not yet anyway. Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you :) I felt it was important to make it available to keep me honest. It's easier to ignore/brush things off if people don't see the "truth" and I can kinda skirt around it.  I've gotten a lot of positive experiences from sharing things like this so I wanted to keep it going.

Sleep Journal Day Two

What time did you wake up, and what time did you actually get out of bed?  I woke up at 5:45 due to a thunderstorm rolling through, which threw off my dog walking schedule. I went back to sleep until around 6:30-ish

How many times did you hit snooze? I didn't hit snooze, when I got up at 5:45 I changed my alarm to 6:45 because I wouldn't go out walking in the storm. But I did hang out in bed from 6:30 until before my alarm should've gone off.

After work, how much television did you watch?  After you finished watching, did you go right to bed?  Did you fall asleep with the TV on? I watched a couple innings of the Royals game, my Jeopardy DVR, and tapped out during the ninth inning to go do my face wash/toothbrushing/etc. I did come back out afterward to peek at the final before bed (the TV was still on, my husband wasn't watching though.)

How long did you lie in bed before actually falling asleep (obviously this will be tough to tell, but you can estimate).  This was probably around 30-ish minutes? I definitely wasn't up a long time but I wasn't out when my head hit the pillow.

• Like 1

Sleep Journals day 3 & 4

What time did you wake up, and what time did you actually get out of bed?  I woke up around 6:30, but didn't actually get out of bed until 7

How many times did you hit snooze? I didn't hit snooze, because there was no alarm on the weekend :)

After work, how much television did you watch?  After you finished watching, did you go right to bed?  Did you fall asleep with the TV on? I didn't watch any television, I was out late for a wedding.

How long did you lie in bed before actually falling asleep (obviously this will be tough to tell, but you can estimate). It took me about 30-ish minutes? I was pretty wiped, but I habitually toss and turn

What time did you wake up, and what time did you actually get out of bed?  I woke up around 6:30, but didn't actually get out of bed until closer to 7:30. I tried so hard to sleep in

How many times did you hit snooze? I didn't hit snooze, because there was no alarm on the weekend :)

After work, how much television did you watch?  After you finished watching, did you go right to bed?  Did you fall asleep with the TV on? I didn't watch tv last night either. I played some Warcraft until about 9-ish?

How long did you lie in bed before actually falling asleep (obviously this will be tough to tell, but you can estimate). It took me forever it feels like to fall asleep last night. I was dog tired, went to bed around 9:45, and either barely dozed/tossed around/etc until at least 11 when my husband came to bed. I don't know if it was because I took a brief afternoon nap yesterday after the yard work I did or what.

My quests for the four week challenge are shaping up well. The meal plan isn't going to plan this week (between the wedding, car issues, etc we've sorta gotten off the rails BUT today is meal plan day for the next week anyway so that'll help get it back on track. The last meal plan was only through this past Thursday due to knowing we'd be at the wedding Friday and doing some extensive yard work yesterday).

Sleep Journal day 5

What time did you wake up, and what time did you actually get out of bed?  I woke up around 5:30, but fell back asleep until closer to 7:00. 

How many times did you hit snooze? I didn't hit snooze, because there was no alarm on the weekend :) and I didn't lay in bed after 7 and instead did my dog walk (because its about to be stupid hot again today)

After work, how much television did you watch?  After you finished watching, did you go right to bed?  Did you fall asleep with the TV on? I didn't watch tv last night. I played some Warcraft until about 11-ish though

How long did you lie in bed before actually falling asleep (obviously this will be tough to tell, but you can estimate).  I didn't go immediately to sleep - buuut after some TMI type stuff I wound up asleep probably around 12:30

Today is the day guys! 4 weeks - reviewing the goals I set for myself

Quest: I am the type of person who will drink more water.

• I will limit myself to one 12oz soda per day at most for the next four weeks
    • I actually haven't had any in the past 4-ish days. I've stuck to water/tea/coffee and if I want something 'sweeter' I've had some of my sparkling water (I'm one of those people who actually likes La Croix)

Quest: I am the type of person who cares about her health.

• I will take the dog for a walk every morning during the work week, and every evening on the weekends.
    • Except for yesterday (it was still over 80 degrees at 10 last night!) I've done this every day :) My dog has been so excited in the mornings now.

Quest: I am the type of person who enjoys cooking for her family.

• I will stick to my meal plan 4-5 days a week.
    • Well since last weeks "meal plan" included several "we're gonna go with the flow" days, it kinda didn't exist. This weeks does though! I'll report back on how that goes

Quest: I am the type of person who takes pride in her appearance.

• I will be more diligent by brushing/flossing both morning and night, along with a morning/night face wash
    • All but Saturday (seriously, something went horribly awry that day), I'm still going strong :)

Quest: I am the type of person who is diligent in her commitment to herself.

• I will check in via the NF Rebellion (the 4 week challenge, or my personal battle log depending on the day) every. Day. to keep myself honest about my progress and my goals.
    • Y'all know I've been around.. LOL I'll be updating my mindset module with the pictures I took from the clothing purge yesterday. Three bags of donations went out today, there's a bin of 'revisit these in 6 months' clothes and I pulled all my winter gear out of the closet too.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Dyego said:

Here's a great four-week challenge! We're all rooting for you! Good goals, by the way, I like the way you've worded them with the "I'm the type of person who...". I've seen that before, but today it really clicked for me. Woot!

I can't claim to be the one who thought it up, it's totally stolen right outta the mindset module :highly_amused: but it works! And that's the important thing.

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Great job sticking to your goals! :) I quite enjoy reading your mindset modules too

Thank you :) I've been dragging my feet getting the measurements/before pictures done. I need to get off my arse and just buckle down and do them. I keep convincing myself "they should be done at the same time every time and I doubt I'll be able to do it at this exact time next time soooo..."  so I'm doubling down. They have to be done TONIGHT. I'll just put it in my planner to remind myself next month to take them at the same time.

Sleep journal!

What time did you wake up, and what time did you actually get out of bed?  I woke up around 5:00 and fought hard to go back to sleep. It was an awkward sleep, straight to REM and weird dreams about driving in circles before I woke back up around a quarter to six and just got outta bed. 

How many times did you hit snooze? I didn't hit snooze, because I got up before my alarm was scheduled to go off at 6:15

After work, how much television did you watch?  After you finished watching, did you go right to bed?  Did you fall asleep with the TV on? I stayed up late last night to watch the end of the Knights/Caps playoff game until about 10:15. I did decline watching my DVR'd episode of Jeopardy AND Ninja Warrior: Ninja vs Ninja though so I'm giving myself props. I'll catch up on both of those tonight.

How long did you lie in bed before actually falling asleep (obviously this will be tough to tell, but you can estimate). I think this time only took me about 15 minutes but I cheated and took a melatonin gummy before I went to brush my teeth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I can't claim to be the one who thought it up, it's totally stolen right outta the mindset module :highly_amused: but it works! And that's the important thing.

I knew it looked familiar! Yeesh, I guess maybe this challenge I should make it a goal to go back and hit restart on the Academy because I've forgotten most of what I learned in the Mindset Module, and that's the most important one isn't it??

Also, good for not hitting snooze! I think you're bonkers insane for getting up in that kind of God-forsaken early hours, but I'm the weirdo who works nights so don't listen to me :D

--

Current Challenge: I'm Back, Baby!

Current Daily Battle Log: Dyego Exorcises Exercise!

--

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

So the results of the week-long sleep journal are in:

I need to go to bed earlier. Using the melatonin is good to 'get me there' when my brain is still firing, but I need to not give myself so much stimulus before bed. Hockey is almost over - but I'm making a commitment to myself to not play Warcraft past 8pm anymore. Last night I cut myself off around 9:30 but it takes me so long to get my bedtime stuff done it was about a quarter after 10 before I even got to bed. Blah.

Overall I've hit most of my goals? I missed walking the dog yesterday morning due to AM storms (the Midwest's natural alarm clock!) but I doubled down to make sure I got it today. I did a LOT of snacking at my desk yesterday, which is no bueno. I think next week I may dip my toes into the Nutrition module and start at level 2 (which is I know things mostly? But idk if I actually follow them well enough). I have the basics pretty well down, and keto was really successful for me a while back, but I know if I try to do Mindset + nutrition + 4 week challenge + workouts then I'm gonna get overwhelmed and everything will come crashing down. So none of that happening this time.

So... I think a big nutrition chunk of the next 4-week challenge might already be set for me. I'm starting to wonder if part of my (recent-ish) problems might be food reaction related and I need to go on a hiatus from indulging. (Spoiler link because it gets a little TMI-ish) 

Spoiler

When I tried keto last spring, I had some pretty good success for the three-ish months I stuck with it. However I started developing what I thought initially was a skin infection on my ankles (due to what I presumed was a too-old pumice stone). Some digging around, topical treatments... it didn't get any better. So I turned to Dr. Google. Apparently on keto you can break out in a "rash" in some places due to the excess ketones being excreted through sweat. So I decided to see if that was my problem and stopped keto. It wasn't. By August I finally made an appointment with a dermatologist where we went over all the "obvious" possibilities (no changes in diet, laundry detergent, no topical irritants like perfumed sunscreen etc, it wasn't spreading anywhere or hot/draining so it obviously isn't infectious, etc). They ordered me a steroid cream to use 2x a week, off on weekends, and see what happened. It did make it go down, but it still flares up now and then. It's now starting to break out on the back of one of my hands. It's itchy, but not "spreading", etc.

I also have some serious internal issues going on - my BMs are like rush hour freeway traffic. I'm either constipated or clenching my cheeks on my way to the toilet. I've noticed a lot more bloat outside of PMS-time bloat too. The only thing I can theorize is that maybe as I've gotten older I've developed an aversion to dairy? I increased my dairy intake on keto - and despite dropping the core of keto, I've actually maintained a lot of the changes I made to my coffee and I primarily drink it with heavy cream now no matter if I order it at Starbucks or I make it myself at work. Plus who doesn't f'n love cheese?!

So now I'm heavily considering dropping dairy for the month of July (I really don't want to redo my next 2 weeks of meal planning..) to see what sort of changes that brings about. I'm also going to start keeping a private (you're welcome LOL) BM journal for this month to compare it, and my ankles/hand to what I find out next month. If that doesn't produce any results - I'm kinda at a loss. I'm up to my eyeballs in that steroid cream (they send me two tubes a month... I haven't made it through even half that yet and they just. keep. coming).

Anyway - outside of that.. I did manage to get the dog walk in today (I even wore -gasp- SHORTS!) and I did most of my grocery shopping online for delivery on Sunday. My meal plan looks good and the hubby even seemed like he'd be okay with everything we were making. He seems disappointed that we're not eating out so often.. but we also have a stupid amount of debt I'm trying to also actively pay down. If we stick to the budget I've put together for us for the rest of the year I'll have both his credit cards paid off, one of mine paid off, my medical credit card paid off, and I'll make a sizable dent in my other credit card (its got a higher limit and I wound up having to put our A/C replacement on it last month so... yikes). Plus we'll be in good shape to look for a home equity line of credit to start getting some work done on our house (our foundation needs work, plus my kitchen, living room, and master bedroom all need various updates).

I'll be updating my Mindset Module diary today, so look for that if you're interested. I have to get to the next set of sleep hacks and I need to actively work on my bat cave situation.

Also - anyone else a WoW nerd? Because the new novel comes out in a lil less than two weeks and OHMYGOSHIMSOSTOKEDICOULDDIE

• Like 1

Hey missy did you do your measurements and before pictures? I feel its not a huge issue to do the measurements and pictures at the same time. For pictures though I recommend doing it in the AM before or after breakfast and to wear the same tight fitting clothing and to stand in the same spot with the camera at the same spot. I used my area rug to measure distance so I always stood in the same spot. And I always used the same poses. Always the same bra, top and shorts. Hair up in a pony if you can. AM is always better because you will be less bloated. And I feel like eventually you would be able to find a time to do it but I think the before is the most important picture and measurements you can do!:)  And if you can't do AM then just do PM and it will all eventually work itself out and you should see a down trend. 

Once I got a weird armpit issue where it was like oozing and itchy. I got steroid cream and it made it go away. My dad said it was probably because I was losing weight and getting healthy because he would randomly break out in rashes and random shit when he was losing weight. 

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

2 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Hey missy did you do your measurements and before pictures? I feel its not a huge issue to do the measurements and pictures at the same time. For pictures though I recommend doing it in the AM before or after breakfast and to wear the same tight fitting clothing and to stand in the same spot with the camera at the same spot. I used my area rug to measure distance so I always stood in the same spot. And I always used the same poses. Always the same bra, top and shorts. Hair up in a pony if you can. AM is always better because you will be less bloated. And I feel like eventually you would be able to find a time to do it but I think the before is the most important picture and measurements you can do!:)  And if you can't do AM then just do PM and it will all eventually work itself out and you should see a down trend. 

Once I got a weird armpit issue where it was like oozing and itchy. I got steroid cream and it made it go away. My dad said it was probably because I was losing weight and getting healthy because he would randomly break out in rashes and random shit when he was losing weight. 

I did do my pictures the other day, but I didn't get my measurements done (well except weight, but my scale bottom literally is coming off the base so I'm debating if an upgrade is in order soon) :( Wrangling my kiddo up for school has been a hellish nightmare lately. Freakin' preteens man...

I have no good mirror so its in my bedroom mirror and stupid far away to get maximum body shot. I need to upload those from my phone to my mindset diary like... asap. 

• Like 1

That ankle issue sounds like something I've got, turned out to be a body-wide yeast infection including oral thrush. I have to take anti-fungals specifically for yeast. I'm also supposed to switch to a Candida diet, which I thought about doing in the past but now apparently it's quite urgent.

I've considered putting my full-body pictures in a google diary of my own, but I'd have to edit them first. I take them nude because even small bathing suits hide some of my real trouble areas and it can be hard to tell if I'm progressing with a suit on. And no, nobody wants to see that!

As for sleep, yeah, games are a big one. I have to cut them off several hours before bed, which is amazingly hard to do :(

Anyway, keep up the good work and rooting for your next week!! :D:D

--

Current Challenge: I'm Back, Baby!

Current Daily Battle Log: Dyego Exorcises Exercise!

--

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

On 6/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, Rookie said:

Get the hubby or preteen to snap a full body pic for you :)  It is better than using the mirror trust me! You will thank me later :P when in a few months you look back at your pictures and go Dammmn gurl look at my progress.

I probably will when the kiddo comes home today. She's at grandma's after yesterday's debacle with the power.

On 6/1/2018 at 3:23 PM, Dyego said:

That ankle issue sounds like something I've got, turned out to be a body-wide yeast infection including oral thrush. I have to take anti-fungals specifically for yeast. I'm also supposed to switch to a Candida diet, which I thought about doing in the past but now apparently it's quite urgent.

I've considered putting my full-body pictures in a google diary of my own, but I'd have to edit them first. I take them nude because even small bathing suits hide some of my real trouble areas and it can be hard to tell if I'm progressing with a suit on. And no, nobody wants to see that!

As for sleep, yeah, games are a big one. I have to cut them off several hours before bed, which is amazingly hard to do :(

Anyway, keep up the good work and rooting for your next week!! :D:D

I might poke my PCP about what she thinks might be a good place to start on that. I know when I saw her last year I was convinced that my thyroid was acting wonky but when they called with my blood work her exact words were "your thyroid function is phenomenal" so...

And yesterday's check-in/meal plan got thrown out the window because we lost power for over 4 hours :( Makes it hard to cook/go grocery shopping/etc when your fridge is slowly losing all its chill. Luckily we didn't open the fridge or freezer, and the storm that knocked out the power cooled off the air a bit, so nothing was lost overall. Just a big wrench in my plans. Today the bulk of my groceries are being delivered anyway and all my meal prep for the week was planned for today so it wasn't as catastrophic as it could've been. (Or worse, I could be a friend of mine and STILL have no power!)

I might even check in with pictures of the meal plan in progress!

• Like 1

Oh man.. my meal prep was dangerously close to a disaster. I tried to make egg cups, which I've made literally probably 5-6 times before (plus frittatas, etc). Last time I made a veggie frittata, I tossed in a splash of heavy cream instead of milk. It gave the frittata a wonderful creamy consistency - so obviously the answer is to keep doing that, right?

Wrong. My poor egg cups looked like sad souffles. The puffed up so big that I actually had 8 tins of egg when I only poured 7... and they were so full of air pockets that I pretty much have little egg biscuits leftover. Super disappointing, I think I added too much cream. But the homemade quesadillas came out okay. I had to mix up my own seasoning/marinade for the chicken because I lacked a taco/fajita seasoning packet. Cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, red pepper, and sea salt mixed with olive oil made for a pretty nice marinade :) Just yanno, FYI.

I've gone through and updated my mindset module on a few bits - I'm going to progress further on Hacking my Sleep, Meditation in the morning post-dog walk, and work on some of the later mindset quests 15, 16 & 17. There'll be a bit of reflection coming up on that - so yeah. It's a thing?

Overall this week was pretty good quest-wise. I'm definitely on a good stride. Fingers crossed adding a thing or two this week doesn't threaten to derail it.

• Like 1

Work felt like a monster yesterday... I had so much menial catch up work to do (filing reports, sending off forms, saving confirmations of said forms being sent, etc etc) that by the time I had lunch I was so -dead- that I did dumb things like mindlessly snack on Skittles. Nooooo bueno. It also disappoints me because I've been adhering to the meal plan I made but I didn't factor in things like - how long I go between breakfast and lunch (I eat around 7am and I don't do lunch until... 2-ish?) and the snack threat is real. I did intermittent fasting before because if I don't eat breakfast I generally don't get hungry until lunch, so I'm thinking maybe doing that again next week once I get through all my pre-prepped breakfast food. Today I'm resolving to drink water when I get the snack-y urge and allowing myself a couple with my lunch instead of just nibbling at them with zero regard.

I also literally drank NO water yesterday. So when I got home and started dinner I wound up with a huge headache. I guess good news is I was definitely not playing WoW super late and I stuck to my bedtime because I was passed out on the couch by like... 8 according to my husband. After sleeping it off for a good 10 hours, I'm feeling better now and I've poured myself a container of water. I have no idea how big it is - it has no lines/markers/numbers on it. I got it from Target back in like... January when they had all their "fitness" related stuff in the $1/$3/$5 bins. I think its close to 32oz though. So I'm telling myself I have to finish one and a half of those before I allow myself to drink anything else today. Gotta rehydrate myself before I wind up miserable again.

• Like 1

Dehydration beast was utterly slayed yesterday. I'm proud of myself for pushing through drinking only water yesterday despite the super available Cherry Diet Dr Pepper in my work fridge. Despite that though I've kept to my 12oz or less on soda 100% so far. I don't necessarily miss it either, which is grand. I do need something here and there to cut up the monotony of water, but I have some black peach iced tea in the fridge (no sugar, I don't do sweet tea) so we'll see how that works out for me.

Meal plan has stayed on point. I'm real happy with it, we've eaten out SO much less this week because of it!

I didn't walk the dog this morning because I knew I planned on hitting the gym this evening with my hubby. He's actually not only agreed to going tonight, but he's agreed to keep going with me. Don't mind me in my happy dance over here (seriously, he's always complaining about "needing" to go but never does, and I think our closet purge where he didn't fit into any but one pair of his shorts might've been his wake up call)

Obvs check-ins are fine :) I was hoping to do more work on my mindset module yesterday but work has been... interesting. Not overly busy, but frustrating to the point of wanting to pull my hair out (which I can't afford amongst my grey hairs... LOL)

• Like 2