Lateral Planet: Load A Save

Hi folks, I'm starting early this time so I can stay focused. After a couple of not-so-awesome challenges, I decided it was time to revisit my last really successful challenge and repeat the stuff that worked for me in February-March.

This is a mostly nutrition-based challenge because I know my capacity for exercise is going to be greatly reduced over the next few weeks (work is super crazy right now and time and energy are low). But since nothing will stop me eating I'm going to put extra effort into making sure I'm at least eating well!

Challenge Goal

Reach and maintain <80kg. I've been bouncing around 80 for a while now, time to try and get well below it!

Feel awesome. The last two challenges were a bit of a struggle. I'd like to end this one feeling positive!

Challenge Quests

1) Keep a food diary and track everything. Tracking is super annoying but super helpful, both in making sure I eat well and in making sure I stay engaged with the challenge.

2) Aim to eat at around the same time every day. This is partly to keep me sane during crazy work weeks and partly to see whether intermittent fasting might suit me.

3) Bring meals to work. The cafeteria at work is usually terrible, and grabbing pizza on the way home is even worse, so I have to plan ahead.

4) 2L water every day. This is more difficult when I don't exercise since it's easier to ignore my thirst, so I'm making this a hard and fast rule.

5) Exercise three times a week. It'll be mostly bodyweight exercises with some Zombies Run on the weekends.

Ratings System

This is basically a shorthand for whether I had a good day or not, out of a possible five points:

0 = no exercise; 1 = light exercise; 2 = awesome exercise

1 = mostly unhealthy food; 2 = fifty-fifty; 3 = mostly healthy food

Will be interesting to see how it goes! Good luck, everyone!! :D:D

• Like 9

Forgot to mention, another thing I've set up for this challenge is an easier method of tracking on my phone. Mostly I just write everything in a cool five-year diary I keep at home, but I have a terrible memory and need something on my phone so I can keep up to date even during long work weeks when I'm barely spending any time at home. So I set up a new screen with a sticky note widget so I can everything basically on the front page of my phone:

Screenshot_2018-05-22-16-25-02.thumb.png.b37f7fa205cd0d678e850726c85478cb.png

I'm pretty pleased with it after just the one day I've used it so far. When I get a chance on the weekend I'll copy it somewhere more permanent and reset for the next week.

So Monday was pretty good, 3/5, since I ate well but didn't exercise. I probably had more bread than I should have, but this was a rare indulgence for me. Two people just can't finish a whole loaf before it goes mouldy so we never usually have bread at home, but what's soup without toast? It's boring!

• Like 4

Seconding on the freezing of bread loaves!  I am a single person, so I definitely can't finish an entire loaf before it goes bad (I mean I can, but I really shouldn't :P).  However, growing up I've always kept my bread in the freezer because in Hawaii the humidity level is so high that things go stale really, really fast.  Freezing it saved us from mold and staleness.  

Your challenge looks great!  Will be cheering for you!  :D 

• Like 3

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

Thanks for the tip, @Rainelf and @Jlailin! I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I get a craving. Last time I had a leftover loaf I made breadcrumbs for schnitzel :)

It's weird, we didn't even make a decision like, "No bread in this household", it just never became part of our regular shopping list. I bought us a toaster when we first moved in together, but then after a year and a half it was still unused so I gave it away to a friend ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, too! Although I may have to cancel exercise for this week already; I think I'm coming down with a cold so I need to take it easy. It's annoying because I don't want to miss out on sweet overtime money, but I also don't really want to spend 10 hours at work fighting through a cold. Will see how I go today, hopefully nothing will come of it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement, too! Although I may have to cancel exercise for this week already; I think I'm coming down with a cold so I need to take it easy. It's annoying because I don't want to miss out on sweet overtime money, but I also don't really want to spend 10 hours at work fighting through a cold. Will see how I go today, hopefully nothing will come of it.

I swear there are evil overlords somewhere that see people getting ready to start kicking ass, and then they throw colds/allergies/general cruddiness/injury at them to stop them.  Its like it never fails man!

Fingers crossed it doesn't crop up into something. I had that flare up last week after coming back from camping convinced I'd be able to start getting worked back into keto and got hit with the 'eff your plans' hammer.

• Like 2

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

4 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I swear there are evil overlords somewhere that see people getting ready to start kicking ass, and then they throw colds/allergies/general cruddiness/injury at them to stop them.  Its like it never fails man!

Fingers crossed it doesn't crop up into something. I had that flare up last week after coming back from camping convinced I'd be able to start getting worked back into keto and got hit with the 'eff your plans' hammer.

I know, right! That sucks! I soldiered on at work yesterday but I'm definitely having today off. I'm pretty sure it's just a cold so I should be back on track in a couple of days. I'm at the point where I'm hungry but nothing tastes nice, so the "eat well" challenge is still in full swing.

That sounds awful, hope you're feeling better! It's a pain to have plans spoiled like that; I guess the key is to try to stay psyched in the meantime so you don't lose the motivation before you're ready to start again.

• Like 1

Yeah, food tracking can be really annoying. I've been doing it in MyFitnessPal for awhile, and am kind of use to it now. Though problems still pop up. If you want to try something different, I did try an app called Bitesnap. You can take a picture of your food, and keep it as a journal. If you want, you can barcode scan in some items, and also add information for it to guess your calories etc. Nice for a quick track though.

I haven't done it as much lately, but having a food prep day can make for easier food management during the week too. :)

Good luck this challenge!

• Like 4

Thanks, @Tateman and @kristenks! At this point I'm not intending to go as far as calorie tracking but I'll definitely keep those in mind for later. Glad it's working out for you both!

I did WeightWatchers for a while a few years back, and while it technically helped (I did lose weight) I was totally miserable doing the actual counting and recording. I actually found myself having more processed foods and less of the good homemade stuff because it was easier to get the info off the label than it was to weigh, measure and calculate individual ingredients. So I think calorie counting is not for me, at this point at least. Further down the track I might revisit the idea, though.

That said, an element I'm considering adding to my food logging is a simple count of how much sugar I'm eating. I don't have fried fast food or bready carbohydrates all that often anyway, but sugar is the one element of my diet that I struggle with limiting. So for the next week I'll have a go at measuring all the sugar I have, and then see if I can't make that number a bit smaller in the week after that.

• Like 3

Quick wrap-up of week zero! Altogether it was pretty good, especially considering the cold that knocked me out for a couple of days. I'll probably have lost weight this week just because I barely ate for a day and a half (no appetite or functional tastebuds), which is not something I recommend. Otherwise I managed to eat pretty healthily every day, so that's good.

I even felt well enough to have a walk today. It was the slowest 5K ever but it counts! Next week I'll definitely be up for more exercise if my schedule allows.

• Like 2

Also I did a quick bit of research and the most common number I could find said 25g of sugar was the recommended daily amount. So that's my maximum for the foreseeable.

I'm not up to counting natural sugars at this point; it's not the fruit and veg that's holding me back, it's the open packet of chocolate biscuits on the kitchen bench. One heaped tsp of sugar is 5g, otherwise I can get all the info I need from the nutritional table on the label. It's time to get in the habit of actually reading those labels ;)

• Like 2

Monday morning has been very enlightening so far! First of all, the scales said 79.4kg, which is great.

Second of all, there's so much sugar in milk!? I had Weetbix for breakfast (being a true Aussie kid), which is a cereal traditionally had with milk and sugar. It turns out my usual amount of added sugar is 10g, which sounds about right, but then there's another 10g in my usual amount of milk. So I've been out of bed for all of half an hour today and I've already had 80 per cent of my sugar allowance!

Honestly, this explains a lot. I mean, I always knew it wasn't the healthiest breakfast, so I don't have it very often, but now I know exactly how unhealthy it is I'll be having it even less often. I'll also really savour the one (1) ferrero rocher I'll be allowed later tonight!

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Monday morning has been very enlightening so far! First of all, the scales said 79.4kg, which is great.

Second of all, there's so much sugar in milk!? I had Weetbix for breakfast (being a true Aussie kid), which is a cereal traditionally had with milk and sugar. It turns out my usual amount of added sugar is 10g, which sounds about right, but then there's another 10g in my usual amount of milk. So I've been out of bed for all of half an hour today and I've already had 80 per cent of my sugar allowance!

Honestly, this explains a lot. I mean, I always knew it wasn't the healthiest breakfast, so I don't have it very often, but now I know exactly how unhealthy it is I'll be having it even less often. I'll also really savour the one (1) ferrero rocher I'll be allowed later tonight!

Milk is one of those super deceptive foods that has sugar that we don't normally remember. Like, we all know the -ose foods, sucrose, fructose, etc are sugar but for some reason lactose just goes RIGHT over our heads. 

Woot for zeroing in on the sugar content and adjusting yourself on the fly. Its just a caloric detour ;) 

• Like 4

"Even if you don't make it all the way, those last 10 seconds of trying and not getting anywhere - that's where you gain the most strength." - Jessie Graff

Yeah, there is so much sugar in everything. I noticed it a lot when I was doing Whole 30. They don't want you having any sugars except like fruits. There is a bunch of things our there label as no sugar, but have sucralose or dextrose. I even found pickles that had High Fructose Corn Syrup. Like wtf is that doing in dill pickles.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
4 hours ago, Annabelle said:

Milk is one of those super deceptive foods that has sugar that we don't normally remember. Like, we all know the -ose foods, sucrose, fructose, etc are sugar but for some reason lactose just goes RIGHT over our heads. 

Woot for zeroing in on the sugar content and adjusting yourself on the fly. Its just a caloric detour ;) 

I did a bit of extra reading and a lot of sources seemed to suggest that the naturally occurring -ose sugars don't count; it's just the sneaky added sugars that are the problem. So I'm half-thinking about not counting the lactose in future, just as I'm ignoring the sugar in fruit and veg, but boy was I disciplined yesterday after that breakfast!

Thanks for the woot! I'm not a fan of microanalysing everything I eat, so I'm just focusing on the one element to see how it goes :)

1 hour ago, Tateman said:

Yeah, there is so much sugar in everything. I noticed it a lot when I was doing Whole 30. They don't want you having any sugars except like fruits. There is a bunch of things our there label as no sugar, but have sucralose or dextrose. I even found pickles that had High Fructose Corn Syrup. Like wtf is that doing in dill pickles.

Wow, I would struggle with those rules; I'm too much of a chocolate addict to go cold turkey ;) I think my main aim with this is to try to find a sustainable solution. Going completely no-sugar won't make me happy, but putting a limit on it might keep me satisfied while also helping me achieve some goals.

• Like 4

I was a bit cheeky today; I did bring a packed lunch but at the last minute my brain totally rejected the idea of having pumpkin soup again, so I ended up getting something from the cafeteria instead. As tasty as that soup is, I just need some variety, which I never seem to factor in when doing my meal prep. At least I bought a nice healthy curry instead of settling for hot chips.

The sugar counting is also going well. I struggled on Monday because I was home for the public holiday and there was a whole kitchen full of forbidden deliciousness only 10 feet away. But now I'm back at work I can just not bring any sugary snacks with me (and selectively forget about all the sources from which I could just buy some).

The only thing not happening is exercise. Now that I've bounced back from last week's cold, I need to get back in this habit. My work hours are a bit better this week and next week, but not such that I'm home in time to walk the dog, so it's a matter of finding the energy and the will to do some darn pushups!

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I was a bit cheeky today; I did bring a packed lunch but at the last minute my brain totally rejected the idea of having pumpkin soup again, so I ended up getting something from the cafeteria instead. As tasty as that soup is, I just need some variety, which I never seem to factor in when doing my meal prep. At least I bought a nice healthy curry instead of settling for hot chips.

Ohhhh, curry sounds so good right now.  I think that should be my next meal prep meal.  And now I have to decide if I want Japanese curry or Thai curry... Hmm...  I totally hear you on the variety thing.  Sometimes I think I'll meal prep to have a rotation of two meals during the week, but I always end up with so much food when I do that--plus I end up eating only one of them because I end up liking it better.  I think my brain just wants to have a choice to be obstinate.  :rolleyes:  ...but good on you for getting the curry instead of chips!

The sugar counting is also going well. I struggled on Monday because I was home for the public holiday and there was a whole kitchen full of forbidden deliciousness only 10 feet away. But now I'm back at work I can just not bring any sugary snacks with me (and selectively forget about all the sources from which I could just buy some).

Yay for the sugar counting!  Good job on resisting during the holiday!  Those are so hard when all the treats are around.  

The only thing not happening is exercise. Now that I've bounced back from last week's cold, I need to get back in this habit. My work hours are a bit better this week and next week, but not such that I'm home in time to walk the dog, so it's a matter of finding the energy and the will to do some darn pushups!

Sending all the energy and willpower!  Do those push ups~!  Go Lateral Planet, go!  :D 

• Like 2

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

10 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Late, but following.

Hopefully your feeling better and can  get the exercise in.

Thanks! Yes the illness is gone, it's just work making me tired with all this overtime. Half wondering if I should just accept that I'm not up to exercising on these sorts of days

8 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Ohhhh, curry sounds so good right now.  I think that should be my next meal prep meal.  And now I have to decide if I want Japanese curry or Thai curry... Hmm...  I totally hear you on the variety thing.  Sometimes I think I'll meal prep to have a rotation of two meals during the week, but I always end up with so much food when I do that--plus I end up eating only one of them because I end up liking it better.  I think my brain just wants to have a choice to be obstinate.  :rolleyes:  ...but good on you for getting the curry instead of chips!

Not gonna lie, I was fully intending to just get chips until I saw delicious curry was an option, so I'm super proud of myself! It was a nice Indian curry :D Usually I just make enough for four or five lunches, but it was a really big batch of soup!

8 hours ago, Jlailin said:

Yay for the sugar counting!  Good job on resisting during the holiday!  Those are so hard when all the treats are around.  

Sending all the energy and willpower!  Do those push ups~!  Go Lateral Planet, go!  :D 

I did surprisingly well yesterday; only 2.5g from some bread. Actually I fell asleep before I could even start thinking about dessert. That's one way to do it, I guess! :P Unfortunately it also meant I was asleep before I could do any pushups, but I'm still pleased about the sugar thing!

• Like 2

Ugh, today was rough. The computer system at work was failing so everything took about a million times longer than it meant to. At least they cancelled the overtime as a result, but it made for a very frustrating, time-wasting day.

Just one of those days when you need a treat, y'know? So I buckled and got hot chips for lunch and a hot chocolate after. So today was 2/3 healthiness-wise. Also I have no idea how sugary the hot chocolate was so I'm considering my limit for the day to be maxed out.

At least dinner was good; Fiancé's out for the evening so I had fish, which he hates :P 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Ugh, today was rough. The computer system at work was failing so everything took about a million times longer than it meant to. At least they cancelled the overtime as a result, but it made for a very frustrating, time-wasting day.

Just one of those days when you need a treat, y'know? So I buckled and got hot chips for lunch and a hot chocolate after. So today was 2/3 healthiness-wise. Also I have no idea how sugary the hot chocolate was so I'm considering my limit for the day to be maxed out.

At least dinner was good; Fiancé's out for the evening so I had fish, which he hates :P 

Oh that does sound like a rough day but at least you didn't have to power through it with overtime. But yah when you mainly work with computers and they stop working as they should it becomes very annoying and frustrating. 

I think its important to sometimes recharge our mental well-being and sometimes that means a snack <3 I am totally on board with having a small treat here and there... sometimes you just need it. And good on you for being responsible about it by considering your sugar limit maxed. 

Omg lol if my boyfriend went away my dinner would look like sushi, mushrooms and fish....all the things lol. Or maybe I would save time and just have mushroom and fish sushis. 

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I explicitly plan dinners my hubby hates on Fridays I know he'll be with his D&D buddies.. LOL 

Rough days need a little extra love sometimes. It happens. Chin up and focus on the next day ^.^

• Like 2

Thanks, @Rookie and @Annabelle! I know in the grand scheme of things it wasn't the worst of work days, but basically the best thing about it was the hot chocolate, so I have no regrets ;) Yep literally everything we do is computer-based, which meant we had to just struggle on even when it was taking half an hour just to load a darn Word document! Fingers crossed it's fixed over the weekend. 

6 hours ago, Rookie said:

Omg lol if my boyfriend went away my dinner would look like sushi, mushrooms and fish....all the things lol. Or maybe I would save time and just have mushroom and fish sushis. 

Oh good idea, we have to seize the opportunities! We spent two weeks in Japan last year and although we ate A LOT of local cuisine he drew the line at seafood, so no sushi for me :( 

6 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I explicitly plan dinners my hubby hates on Fridays I know he'll be with his D&D buddies.. LOL 

That was my plan exactly! Last night was poker night but they might be having a party tonight, so I will have to check if the supermarket has any prawns for me ;)

• Like 4