• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

spezzy takes it one week at a time

This challenge is going to be a bit different :)  I have some bigger goals, which I'll review in this post, but the plan is that each week I will revisit each of the bigger goals, and make realistic, smaller goals at the beginning of each week. 

1) Build biceps to spare

21a5562574704fc934ac85318136dfa0.jpg

I'm back on the getting stronger train. Now, as we know, lifting and nutrition both play a vital part in this, so goals will be in those areas. I also want to try to maintain this general weight (around 150-155lb), so this isn't a bulk, which means nutrition is even more important. 

2) I'm late!

giphy.gif

No, not THAT kind of late. 

I function on something that Ben calls "Staci time". Which means, things take however long they take, and I get there when I get there. 

So these goals are going to be related to being on time as well as time management. 

3) FOOT STUFF

giphy.gif

again, not THAT kind of foot stuff. 

I broke my toe. I need to be careful, and to rehab it properly. But going to use this as an opportunity to focus on strengthening my feet and ankles (they've been collapsing a bit). 

4) Responsibility? What's that?

giphy.gif

I have an insane amount of adulting to do coming up. So I'm going to set up times to do each adult thing at the beginning of each week.

5) Read every night with Ben

giphy.gif

This is more of a specific goal, but it won't change week by week. The reasons behind it are multifold, but I'll leave it at that :)

• Like 11

Week 0 Individual Goals: 

A: Biceps to Spare

• Put together my programming for the week, and go to the gym
  • Purchase gym membership (I somehow only have a YMCA membership right now)
  • Put together new macros
  • Put supplements (vitamins, creatine) in weekly pill thing and take them each day. 

B: Late

• Keep track of how long everything is taking me
  • Get a big clock for my office

C: Foot Stuff

• Make appointment with physical therapist

D: Responsibility

• Resign Lease
  • Pick new health insurance
  • Go to counseling
  • Go to drs appointment
  • Get some paperwork for IRS
  • Mail bill that needs to be mailed (what is this, 1995?)

E: Read with Ben

• Goal of every night!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

I function on something that Ben calls "Staci time". Which means, things take however long they take, and I get there when I get there. 

So these goals are going to be related to being on time as well as time management. 

Ohh, this resonates with me SO. MUCH. May or may not have been yelled at corrected recently by my supervisor for this very phenomenon. Time management is on my radar for this challenge too.

Following!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

No, not THAT kind of late. 

3 hours ago, spezzy said:

again, not THAT kind of foot stuff. 

Way to ruin jokes before they even begin.

Good goals. If you don't want to spend the more expensive monthly cost on a specialty gym, Costco has deals on big box gyms that end up being like $25 a month.

Also, the time thing really ticks my boxes. I'm perpetually late to everything my wife isn't also going to. So I hand it to you for acknowledging this is an issue to be resolved.

• Like 1

Oh man do I have Elvie Time when I'm driving.

I get very stubborn that driving to X place SHOULD take 20 minutes, so as long as I leave my apartment 22 minutes or more before the thing, I should be there on time.

And, um, yeah that doesn't work out much. Because traffic, parking, getting lost, etc. I've been making a conscious effort to like, text people the ETA google maps says I will have rather than my ideal world ETA (when I get in the car but before I leave) so at least if I'm late people will know when to expect me.

My friends really like this?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grumble said:

Good goals. If you don't want to spend the more expensive monthly cost on a specialty gym, Costco has deals on big box gyms that end up being like $25 a month.

Unfortunately, for the type of training I want to do, I NEED the specialty gym - but thankfully here in Austin, they're at least affordable (between $40 and $60 a month). I had 5 gym memberships for a while (YMCA, 3 specialty, 1 yoga) and I used them all for different things, but I'm trying to reduce costs overall and be better at budgeting. 

Thankfully this one is looking up. Keeping the YMCA because I use it for swimming / hot tub (and it's a part of my benefits at work). Ben is coaching at a gym that's about 5 minutes away and got me a deal for that one. The downsides of that gym are that right now their AC is broken, and they don't have all of the equipment I need (gymnastic rings and oly bars). 

So  I can buy the third membership for a few months while that first gym works on getting the equipment I need that they don't have (they're currently working on changing up a lot about the gym, and building entire new areas). I'm also considering getting my own oly bar (just a $200 one, not a super fancy one) and either keeping it in the garage or bringing it to the closer gym (they have bumpers, but no good bars). But will need the second gym regardless for gymnastic work until this one gets even a place I can hang rings from. 

11 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Ohh, this resonates with me SO. MUCH. May or may not have been yelled at corrected recently by my supervisor for this very phenomenon. Time management is on my radar for this challenge too.

Following!!

9 hours ago, Grumble said:

Also, the time thing really ticks my boxes. I'm perpetually late to everything my wife isn't also going to. So I hand it to you for acknowledging this is an issue to be resolved.

9 minutes ago, elvenengineer said:

Oh man do I have Elvie Time when I'm driving.

I get very stubborn that driving to X place SHOULD take 20 minutes, so as long as I leave my apartment 22 minutes or more before the thing, I should be there on time.

And, um, yeah that doesn't work out much. Because traffic, parking, getting lost, etc. I've been making a conscious effort to like, text people the ETA google maps says I will have rather than my ideal world ETA (when I get in the car but before I leave) so at least if I'm late people will know when to expect me.

My friends really like this?

hahaha yeah. I'm like "it takes 20 minutes to get there, so I leave 20 minutes ahead". And 20 minutes before I need to be there, I remember that I need water, and to take the dog out..........

I'm definitely getting better about that, but one problem is that I just have a really hard time grasping time.

So, one of the things I've been working on with my doctor is an ADHD diagnosis, which is new to me, but it feels like I've been given an instruction manual to my brain. And learning that a lot of the things that I've been doing over the years to stay focused are really coping mechanisms. 

So I have this timer: https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-TimeCube-Minutes-Management-Kitchen/dp/B00889AV9A/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527000049&sr=8-1&keywords=time%2Bcube%2Bpurple&th=1 . and I love it, but when I have my over ear headphones on, I can't hear the alarm.

I found a timer that allows me to set multiple alarms throughout the day using an app on my phone (which seems easier than doing it manually on a clock) but I'm concerned that adding "set up my clock for the day" will be a barrier and I won't do it. What I love about that TimeCube is that you just change what side it is on, and it times for 30 minutes, or 5 - so I could do 30 minutes work, 5 minute break, all day, without thinking (just flip the cube). 

I won't wear a watch, so that's out. 

I'd love a combination of the TimeCube and a large clock (I think seeing the time would help - I started putting up a large clock on my computer screensaver when I'm getting ready for things and that's definitely helped). I also think I need a big clock in the bathroom (for when I'm putting on makeup and getting ready to go places). 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, spezzy said:

I'm also considering getting my own oly bar (just a $200 one, not a super fancy one) and either keeping it in the garage or bringing it to the closer gym (they have bumpers, but no good bars). But will need the second gym regardless for gymnastic work until this one gets even a place I can hang rings from. 

I wish I had the space to justify that.

That timecube thing sounds awesome. Do they have one that is bluetooth? Connect it to your headphones (assuming you have bt headphones) and it could go off and you could hear it. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Grumble said:

I wish I had the space to justify that.

That timecube thing sounds awesome. Do they have one that is bluetooth? Connect it to your headphones (assuming you have bt headphones) and it could go off and you could hear it. Just a thought.

They don't, but there are definitely app timers.

The big issue I have here is that if I pick up my phone, then there's a lot of apps that are super distracting. Though I could start to implement freedom.io more. I do have a membership with them. 

1 hour ago, spezzy said:

hahaha yeah. I'm like "it takes 20 minutes to get there, so I leave 20 minutes ahead". And 20 minutes before I need to be there, I remember that I need water, and to take the dog out..........

I'm definitely getting better about that, but one problem is that I just have a really hard time grasping time.

So, one of the things I've been working on with my doctor is an ADHD diagnosis, which is new to me, but it feels like I've been given an instruction manual to my brain. And learning that a lot of the things that I've been doing over the years to stay focused are really coping mechanisms. 

So relate! I was diagnosed several years ago, and the pile of "ooohhhhhh ... that's why I ... " things is still piling up.

I can totes confirm that these kinds of time perception struggles are a very real part of ADHD. Took me a long time to get a handle on. And I'm married to a "get everywhere a half hour early always" kind of guy. My eyes, they roll.

Big clocks are brilliant. Love the TimeCube, I have one too. But I also function better in the world with headphones on, so I have considered getting something like this that has a flashing light or other visual cue along with the audible one.

I've been experimenting with the Mel Robbins "5 Second Rule" thing lately, and it has had some positive benefits (downside, it's easy to forget-ignore.) Basically when I have that first twinge-y feeling of "I ought to be getting off the internet and start making my protein shake soon" doing the 5-4-3-2-1-go! thing and getting my feet onto the ground before the ADDER voice in my head has a chance to pipe in with the classic "eh, I still have a couple minutes, I'll just click on this one twitter link real quick ..."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spezzy said:

My wife was diagnosed around this time last year, it's worked wonders for her ability to get things done. And it's brought up a few things for me too. I have an appointment with her doc on Thursday. I can totally relate.

Additionally, is one of your coping mechanisms huge amounts of caffeine, or is that just me?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Juni0r83 said:

Additionally, is one of your coping mechanisms huge amounts of caffeine, or is that just me?

I thought that was just a requirement of being functional?

• Like 6

Bahahaha after 2 days without it, I'm feeling this is more correct than I initially thought.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No, it totally is. Coffee is life.

Both and all of the above. Like the cool clear water that our delightful brown elixir is such a marvelous enhancement of, coffee serves both a sustenance and a medicinal purpose. Stimulants are a very highly effective treatment for ADHD, e.g. adderall = amphetamine - but also, coffee is just magically important to happiness and truth and beauty and life in general in its own right, with or without attention disregulation. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, spezzy said:

I definitely do this, pretty much every day.  :P  Time management (and its related stuff like finishing projects, making plans, being organized, meeting deadlines, etc.) has always been my nemesis, and in the last year or so it's not only gotten worse, but I've started noticing that I'm much more fidgety and impetuous than most people my age. Not sure whether I want to pursue a diagnosis myself right now, but I'm so appreciative that you're sharing your journey on NF so we can watch and learn from you.  :) 

6 hours ago, Gemma said:

coffee is just magically important to happiness and truth and beauty and life in general in its own right, with or without attention disregulation

Hi Gemma, I'm Sky. I am also a member of the Order of the Bean, and have likewise devoted my life to the admiration and consumption of this glorious beverage. I am so delighted to meet a fellow adherent and acolyte. 

• Like 4

Haiii~ Time management, especially involving a commute, is hard but I know you will find a way to make it work for you.

22 hours ago, Gemma said:

So relate! I was diagnosed several years ago, and the pile of "ooohhhhhh ... that's why I ... " things is still piling up.

I can totes confirm that these kinds of time perception struggles are a very real part of ADHD. Took me a long time to get a handle on. And I'm married to a "get everywhere a half hour early always" kind of guy. My eyes, they roll.

Big clocks are brilliant. Love the TimeCube, I have one too. But I also function better in the world with headphones on, so I have considered getting something like this that has a flashing light or other visual cue along with the audible one.

I've been experimenting with the Mel Robbins "5 Second Rule" thing lately, and it has had some positive benefits (downside, it's easy to forget-ignore.) Basically when I have that first twinge-y feeling of "I ought to be getting off the internet and start making my protein shake soon" doing the 5-4-3-2-1-go! thing and getting my feet onto the ground before the ADDER voice in my head has a chance to pipe in with the classic "eh, I still have a couple minutes, I'll just click on this one twitter link real quick ..."

The diagnosis has been a complete eye opener for me. It's like after 34 years, I was handed an instruction manual to my brain. 

The funny thing is, that I've been working with doctors for years on a lot of the issues I have been having (including my chronic insomnia), and they all just want to keep blaming it on my thyroid and my auto immune disorder. I went and saw a new primary care doctor, and was like "HI, my thyroid is FINE. We have tested it 1000 times. There's something wrong with me. Halp." and after talking to me for an HOUR, he suggested I get the ADHD testing done. 

And after even just under a month of focusing on medicating and different adhd stuff, I'm a happier human, I'm sleeping at night, and I feel just generally better. 

Needless to say, keeping this new doctor. 

Ben is also a gets everywhere early kind of guy, and he now tells me we're leaving 15 minutes before we are, so i'll be "on time". But this is something I've struggled with forever (the only reason I ever got detention in high school was from being late), and it stresses both me and him out, so if I can fix it, hooray. 

I love the idea of a flashing timer, or an audible one. I've also been writing off phone apps, but that's because I don't want to get sucked into my phone - but if I consistently use freedom to block anything that I'd get sucked into, I bet I could use an app.

I love the 5 second rule idea. I feel like that could be used for fitness (the second you get home and think "I can sit down for a few minutes before my workout") too. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

18 hours ago, Grumble said:

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No, it totally is. Coffee is life.

16 hours ago, Pickle6415 said:

Bahahaha after 2 days without it, I'm feeling this is more correct than I initially thought.

15 hours ago, Gemma said:

Both and all of the above. Like the cool clear water that our delightful brown elixir is such a marvelous enhancement of, coffee serves both a sustenance and a medicinal purpose. Stimulants are a very highly effective treatment for ADHD, e.g. adderall = amphetamine - but also, coffee is just magically important to happiness and truth and beauty and life in general in its own right, with or without attention disregulation. 

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Hi Gemma, I'm Sky. I am also a member of the Order of the Bean, and have likewise devoted my life to the admiration and consumption of this glorious beverage. I am so delighted to meet a fellow adherent and acolyte. 

giphy.gif

I also do bulletproof coffee, which serves as breakfast, because for some reason, my body can't handle food first thing in the morning (I throw it up, every time, and have since I was a kid - I used to drink my grandmother's slim fast for breakfast just because calories, not because trying to lose weight). But with the additional calories and SOMETHING in my stomach, it helps me take my medicine in the morning without getting sick (any pill on an empty stomach for me = throwing up nothing for hours). 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Juni0r83 said:

My wife was diagnosed around this time last year, it's worked wonders for her ability to get things done. And it's brought up a few things for me too. I have an appointment with her doc on Thursday. I can totally relate.

It's been amazing to actually look into this. Apparently it manifests different in adult women, and a lot of studies are just coming out around that now, so many of us are going completely diagnosed for a long time. 

15 hours ago, Gemma said:

So one thing, is that when I really started to excel at my job (way before NF job), was when I started exercising all the time, first thing in the morning.

I blamed the exercise for that, but I was also taking a preworkout with DMAA in it (banned now), which works like an amphetamine. When i started really struggling again was right after a big move, and I blamed the big move, stress, and my thyroid - but in reality, that was also when I ran out of my DMAA and it was banned. So looking back, I wonder if I was self medicating by accident. 

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I definitely do this, pretty much every day.  :P  Time management (and its related stuff like finishing projects, making plans, being organized, meeting deadlines, etc.) has always been my nemesis, and in the last year or so it's not only gotten worse, but I've started noticing that I'm much more fidgety and impetuous than most people my age. Not sure whether I want to pursue a diagnosis myself right now, but I'm so appreciative that you're sharing your journey on NF so we can watch and learn from you.  :) 

I'm so ridiculously organized when it comes to everything, and one thing that my therapist was saying was that that's just one of my coping mechanisms. Because I NEED everything to be perfectly organized in order to keep me on track. It's a joke here - about my spreadsheets and how they are always organized perfectly and color coded. "That's a Staci spreadsheet if I've ever seen one" is a common saying. I just thought I liked organizing. 

A lot of little things like this, that I just assumed were a part of being a better adult (remember my "spezzy needs to be an adult" challenge?), are really things I struggle with because of this. 

37 minutes ago, Urgan said:

Haiii~ Time management, especially involving a commute, is hard but I know you will find a way to make it work for you.

Thankfully I have no commute, the only place I have to go other than my office (which is 10 feet from my bedroom) is the gym. The problem is my favorite gym is 15-20 minutes away without traffic, so that can have issues sometimes because if I miss the no traffic window, I'm stuck in traffic for a good 45 minutes. 

One of my coping mechanisms was to just bring my computer with me everywhere, because then if I get stuck in traffic I can work from starbucks (or anywhere with wifi, but theres a starbucks next to my gym). But I'd like to not do that as much!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, spezzy said:

A lot of little things like this, that I just assumed were a part of being a better adult

That is precisely what intrigues me most about pursuing a diagnosis - I constantly feel like I'm just failing at adulting, but maybe there's something else going on. It'd sure be nice to hear someone say for once that I don't just need to "grow up and figure out my issues", but that there were specific things I could do to help myself with these struggles.  :P 

Like the TimeCube and the 5-second rule already heretofore mentioned - mind is slightly blown by both of those ideas!!

tenor.gif?itemid=4895431 

• Like 2

There is so much I can relate to here. I’ve also used preworkout to self medicate.

It sounds like you already have some good coping mechanisms, but the meds only do so much and I’m struggling to overcome a lifetime of bad habits.
@skygirl, my only regret with pursuing a diagnosis is that I waited so long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

@skygirl, my only regret with pursuing a diagnosis is that I waited so long.

I did a little bit of reading on adult ADHD today after my interest being reawakened by this discussion, and was legitimately startled by how many of the executive function disorder symptoms described me and my struggles. 

What were some of the most important outcomes of your receiving a diagnosis? What treatments or strategies did the doctor recommend, and what were some of the biggest changes you noticed after being diagnosed?