Hips, Trips, and Starships

Hello!  I'm The Roving Reader, lover of books and exploration. 

I'll be turning 28 at the end of the month (woo!).  Each time my age increments, it feels like I didn't accomplish enough during the previous year (maybe you know that feeling?).  I hope writing down the things I do will help with that, and what better place to start than with my wellness habits?  This month, I'll be spending 10 days in California, 10 days in Montana, and the rest at home in Washington, so it'll be interesting to see how my routine feels across these locations.

Quest 1: UNLOCK MY HIPS

giphy.gif

Backstory: I have had hip impingement in both hips for as long as I can remember.  It manifests as an inability to pull my knees toward my chest - child's pose is the hardest yoga pose for me!  Don't even mention trying to do a squat with proper form.  It's only the past year that I've realized how much it's been holding me back, causing pain and restricting my movement in activities like hiking, climbing, and dancing.  This has been my primary fitness focus this year.  My routine involves strengthening, stretching, and incorporating new movement patterns.

For those who are curious, here's everything that's involved in my hip mobility regime.  I've built up to this slowly over the last 10 months, so I know I can maintain it:

1. 3x a week hip strengthening routine (20 min)
    • Warm up with leg swings and standing hip rotations
    • 3 sets of 20 one-legged hip thrusts or elevated one-legged glute bridges per leg
    • 3 sets of 20 kickback squats or kickback lunges per side
    • 3 sets of 20 elevated clamshells or sideplank leg lifts per side
    • 3 sets of pike compression practice, holding 15 seconds and pulsing 10 times
    • Cool down with some static hip flexor stretches
  2. 7x a week yoga (30-60 min)
    • Focus on breathing into the hips and using the surrounding muscles to pull the hip capsule back
    • Once a week, do a restorative routine with no additional workouts
  3. 3x a week myofascial release and banded hip distraction
    • Slowly work the hips from all sides with a lacrosse ball, letting it sink into the most difficult spots before using micro-movements to work the tissue
    • If my hips aren't too sore, do additional stretches with a band, 5 minutes each side
  4. Play with movement whenever possible
    • When moving a short distance between locations - say, to get a glass of water - get there and back in a weird and interesting way.  (Sometimes I pretend I'm an animorph that's in a partially transformed state.)

Quest 2: FINISH CARBON & DUST BODYWEIGHT PROGRAM

giphy.gif

Backstory:  I've completed 20 days of this workout program from Darebee already,  so I have 10 more to do on the days when I'm not strengthening my hips.  The workouts are built into a science fiction story, which is fitting since I do my morning workout while watching an episode of Start Trek TNG (on season 6 right now).  I'm also reading Leviathan Wakes, so there are a lot of starships to keep track of!

Quest 3: GET OUTSIDE AND GO 'SPLORIN

giphy.gif

Backstory:  I love the outdoors, which means it sucks when I spend all day working on the computer and look up to see the sun is gone.  My prized possessions are an inflatable kayak and my backpacking gear, and it's that time of year when I can really make use of them!

1. Walk or run daily
  2. Eat outside daily, weather allowing
  3. Complete 10 "Zombies, Run!" missions
  4. Find 10 geocaches
  5. Go camping at least once
  6. Go kayaking at least once

Quest 4: BE MINDFUL OF SELF-CRITICAL THOUGHTS

giphy.gif

Backstory:  I suffer from chronic low self-esteem.  I try to remind myself that my thoughts do not define me and are not necessarily correct.  I only returned to meditation a month ago, so this is a relatively new habit, but it's already adding more moments of ease during my day.

1. Meditate 15+ minutes every day
  2. Practice a few mindful breaths whenever my critical thoughts start to run away, or any other time I remember (like now!)

Bonus Quest: GET MY FAMILY TO PLAY VR CHAT.  My family just invested in an Oculus Rift (my brother works on VR as a 3D animator).  I've been enjoying hanging out in the virtual on my boyfriend's brother's Vive, and I can't wait to witness my family experiencing the chaos that is VR Chat.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Following along 'cause books & Star Trek! Looking forward to reading more about your challenge. :) 

haha me too! also, PNW! also carl sagan! i love you and your goals already.

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Waving hello to a fellow Washingtonian! I love the moving in a weird way goal, what a fun way to work on flexibility and movement.

Noticed geocaching is a goal to. Have you geocached before?  Are there some places you've really enjoyed? We are working on finding caches at Fort Ebey on Whidbey Island. It's a gorgeous spot.

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

TNG is my favorite...probably because it was the one that came out when I moved out on my own...I'm almost through Enterprise then I'll start on the most recent one :) Netflix is a wonderful thing :lol:

I'm in awe of your hip mobility routing, I may have to borrow that 

• Like 2

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Woo!  The challenge has officially begun.  I'm in California now, and I spent a lot of time this three-day weekend on my parents' patio eating and talking with family and friends.  Yesterday was a rest day fitness-wise, so I just rolled around on my ball, did some wriggly restorative yoga, and struggled to stay relaxed-but-not-too-relaxed-that-i-fall-asleep during meditation.

Funny story: the "too-many-starships" thing really bit me in the butt the other day.  (Minor spoilers here for Leviathan Wakes and Carbon and Dust.) 

Before getting out of bed, I read how the crew was brought aboard a Martian warship that fell under attack.  They race to the elevator shaft to the hangar bay, have a shootout, and escape on a smaller vessel just before the warship explodes behind them.  It was pretty intense. 

Then, I moved on to my morning workout.  In this chapter of Carbon and Dust, my team was staying aboard a Sanctuary space station that - surprise, surprise! - fell under attack.  I pretended to race up and down ladders to the hangar bay, where I escaped on my ship just before the space station exploded behind us. 

What?! It was almost the exact same plot!

When I went back to my book that night, I couldn't keep anything straight: Wait, didn't they kill the engines to go undetected?  No, that was from my workout, because I had to keep jumping around to stay warm.  Ahh, my brain is melting!   

Fortunately, the Star Trek episode didn't add to the confusion.  It was the one in which Picard, Ro Laren, Keiko, and Guinan get turned into children.  "He's my Number One dad!"

WwJoMAx.gif

I'll wrap this up with some responses to you awesome people:

@fitnessgurl and @ladyofthebog - Thanks so much!  I'm not surprised that there are some people with common interests on here hehe.

@Elastigirl - We should meet up and go geocaching some time!  I'm a pretty casual cacher, but I've actually found some on Whidbey before.  I still have to return to search for a geocache that stumped us by the northern ferry...

@theatreghostie - Oh my god I know what you mean.  Sometimes those 15 minutes feel like an hour of babysitting a toddler that's just eaten a truckload of candy.  It's all worth it for those times when I get that peaceful floaty feeling that lingers afterward.

@RES - I'm looking forward to watching the new series, too!  Also, please do make use of my hip routine - I spent way too much time researching and refining it haha.

Since this is my first challenge, I don't yet know how often I'll be on here.  I'll probably pop in when I need some inspiration from y'all or when I have something of interest to share, both positive and negative.  Coming soon: The hilariously cringy tale about how I completed the BONUS QUEST of getting my dad to play VR Chat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, therovingreader said:

@RES - I'm looking forward to watching the new series, too!  Also, please do make use of my hip routine - I spent way too much time researching and refining it haha.

I got to start it yesterday...after I catch up on this I will have officially watched every Star Trek episode (except the cartoon ones) in order of release :D I feel like such a geek...

Well then I'll definitely take advantage of your hard work! ;) 

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I finished my Quest #2 this morning!  The last day of Carbon & Dust was slightly more challenging than usual, mostly thanks to the final push of 50 burpees.  This program was unique, and the ending was EPIC (albeit a bit rushed), but ultimately I don't think the format worked for me.

carbon-and-dust-promo.jpg

The basic concept is that each day is a literal "chapter" of a story.  You read along, and whenever the main character performs an action, you perform a similar action.  It's a fun idea, but most days it felt like I spent more time reading than exercising, and it was awkward jumping between the two.  I prefer either a shorter set-up for a single workout, OR an audio format that delivers the story while you're moving (e.g. Zombie's, Run! or Superhero Workout).

I still had fun and donated to Darebee right after I finished reading the epilogue.  If you're not familiar with them, they're SUCH a cool site.  They provide tons of COMPLETELY FREE workouts/challenges/diets/information with no ads or product placement.  If you want to try a free program that I enjoyed more than Carbon & Dust, check out Hero's Journey - it really proved to me how just the suggestion of a story can motivate you.  It also has more customization so that you feel like you're the hero, more similar to NF! 

All my other quests have been progressing really well.  There have definitely been a number of days where I only meditated 10 minutes instead of 15, or did 20 minutes of yoga instead of 30, so it won't be 100% completion.  I also still have to find 5 more geocaches, and I'm planning to go kayaking early Monday morning before a doctor's appointment.  In other news, we've made it to the last season of TNG... have to decide soon whether I'll continue with Star Trek workouts or switch things up.

The one sub-goal I'm definitely not going to hit is 10 missions of "Zombies, Run!"  My boyfriend has had some long digestive problems so we've replaced running with walking - I've only done a couple missions on my own.  We'll see how the end of this challenge plays out, hope everyone else is finding their own success!

• Like 3
On 6/16/2018 at 8:23 PM, therovingreader said:

I finished my Quest #2 this morning! 

Great job!!

Spoiler