C_Q: The Quest for the Sphere of Light

A young girl named Wisp has been transported to a dark and desolate world. Her quest; to locate the Sphere of Light and restore colour and happiness to this dreary land. She will travel through a land filled with dangerous creatures and evil henchmen hell bent on stopping her, but perhaps also some new friends. 

Image result for rainbow brite

Welcome to Charlie Quinn's Rainbow Brite Challenge!

This challenge started out as a one off joke, but the more I thought about it, I realised that Rainbow Brite (Wisp) is actually a really strong female character. She is brave, determined and kind. 

So what the hell! Lets lean into the rainbows and sparkles!

Related image

The challenge
For each of my challenge goals that I complete, I will be awarded 5 star sparkles.

Image result for rainbow brite gif

30 star sparkles a week allows Wisp to move closer to the Dark Castle and also gain an ally or an item to help her complete her quest. 

Goals

Running

I'm in the middle of marathon prepping so this should be done at least 3 times a week (the marathon plan has 4 runs per week, but as we run in BMF, I can skip the early week easy run and count BMF as this workout)

BMF / Lifting / Climbing

BMF once a week and either a lifting session or a climbing session. I'd love to fit in all 3 activities a week (hello, RangerBrain) but that's probably a little too difficult!

Lunch Prep

I'm OK when it comes to preparing healthy evening meals, but I completely suck when it comes to prepping lunch. I tend to buy reasonably healthy lunches, but this is starting to cost me a small fortune. To make this easier, I'm only starting with three home prepped meals a week (working days) and then increase it from there. Working from home doesn't count, this is just for office based lunches.

Life Lines 
I'm going to give Wisp two life lines, just in case anything unexpected pops up doing the challenge. These cannot be used as a "get of jail free" card, these are for genuine issues (emergencies, illness etc)

Side Quest - Spread the happiness and rainbows!

It wouldn't be right to do a Rainbow Brite challenge without adopting her ethos. This side challenge is two fold. First, I'm going to make sure I say something positive about either myself or my day on any updates. Secondly, I'm going to try to give much more encouragement around the boards. I start off with good intentions at the start of the challenge but as the weeks go on, I lose track. I'm going to try to be more present and more supportive of my fellow Rebels.

• Like 11

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

My sister would watch this cartoon as a kid but I've got almost no recollection of it at all. 

RobotChicken-GameOver.jpg

Seems kinda scary :panda: *

*I was actually trying to find a gif of one of the Robot Chicken Rainbow Brite sketches but I could not find one :( 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

this is amazing

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

7 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

My sister would watch this cartoon as a kid but I've got almost no recollection of it at all. 

To be honest, I didn't remember much about it until I started looking up videos on Youtube. I have one very strong memory of Rainbow Brite, and it's of my older brother stealing my RB doll from my room and cutting it to shreds with a pen knife. Yeah, my older brother was (and still is) a bit of a dick.

7 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Cool CQ, here as always to support you and see you smash your goals :) x

I'm not sure 'cool' is the right word! But I'll take it.

2 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

this is amazing

I thought you might like this. When I was writing it I did think 'this is very Trippy-esque'

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

To be honest, I didn't remember much about it until I started looking up videos on Youtube. I have one very strong memory of Rainbow Brite, and it's of my older brother stealing my RB doll from my room and cutting it to shreds with a pen knife. Yeah, my older brother was (and still is) a bit of a dick

Wow that's brutal. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

11 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I used to be obsessed with Charlie Chalk.... did you watch it?

I remember it because it resulted in me getting the nickname Charlie Chalk for the entire run of the show. I didn't watch it though, because clowns.

11 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Wow that's brutal. 

Remember Sid from Toy Story? That was my older brother when we were growing up. He's not much better as a fully grown adult either, it's just his destructive nature has evolved somewhat. Families. What can you do, eh?

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

1 minute ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Remember Sid from Toy Story? That was my older brother when we were growing up. He's not much better as a fully grown adult either, it's just his destructive nature has evolved somewhat. Families. What can you do, eh?

Yeah, I get it. I've also got a brother who is a dick and he is worse as an adult than he was as a kid. I'll just never understand. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Following! The extent of my knowledge about Rainbow Brite is actually from Robot Chicken. I may have watched it as a kid but I don't remember it at all

25 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've known so many people say they prefers boys to girls because girls are "so much drama" (direct quote from a coworker: I'm afraid to have a girl because I don't want her to treat me as badly as I treated my mother) but IME boys seem much scarier to raise. I don't know how Hubs and his 4 brothers all survived childhood and I don't want to know how many times my MIL had to take one of them to the ER. I told Hubs that if we have a kid and it acts like he did as a kid (got in lots of trouble, a few fights, and expelled once, all before high school when he calmed down) it might not make it to adulthood. Me and my 3 sisters (and one brother) on the other hand were pretty drama free

• Like 3

Love it. Following along :D 

Especially loving this:

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

First, I'm going to make sure I say something positive about either myself or my day on any updates.

It's all too easy to get bogged down in all of the negatives. A little extra positivity is always a good thing.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

I'm OK when it comes to preparing healthy evening meals, but I completely suck when it comes to prepping lunch

You don't bring the leftovers from the previous night? That's what I end up doing and it saves me close to $60 a week if I do that all 5-days I'm the office.

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'd love to fit in all 3 activities a week (hello, RangerBrain) but that's probably a little too difficult!

My vote is climbing, but maybe switch off weeks. Every other week is climbing and the weeks in between are lifting?

For each of my challenge goals that I complete, I will be awarded 5 star sparkles.

Sounds magical ;) 

Image result for deadpool rainbow brite

(Alas, no Deadpool/Rainbow Brite crossover, so, this is the closest I could get.)

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

16 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah, I get it. I've also got a brother who is a dick and he is worse as an adult than he was as a kid. I'll just never understand. 

I've just decided it's better not to have him in my life. Just because you are linked to someone by blood, doesn't mean you have like them or stay in touch with them if they are a toxic person.

16 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Following! The extent of my knowledge about Rainbow Brite is actually from Robot Chicken. I may have watched it as a kid but I don't remember it at all

I've known so many people say they prefers boys to girls because girls are "so much drama" (direct quote from a coworker: I'm afraid to have a girl because I don't want her to treat me as badly as I treated my mother) but IME boys seem much scarier to raise. I don't know how Hubs and his 4 brothers all survived childhood and I don't want to know how many times my MIL had to take one of them to the ER. I told Hubs that if we have a kid and it acts like he did as a kid (got in lots of trouble, a few fights, and expelled once, all before high school when he calmed down) it might not make it to adulthood. Me and my 3 sisters (and one brother) on the other hand were pretty drama free

I really need to look up these Robot Chicken sketches people keep mentioning.

I can't really comment as I have zero experience with kids and never plan on getting any! I have an older and younger brother and I know for a fact that I was much less hard work than they were. My older brother was always in trouble at school and I lost count of the amount of times my younger bro had to go to the emergency room. 

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. One of the first dreams I remember having as a small child was meeting Rainbow Bright. I don't know why as I don't remember seeing the cartoon at all.

In your dream, did you get to ride on Starlite, the most amazing horse in the land? I it was my dream I would have been disappointed if that didn't happen.

15 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Love it. Following along :D 

Especially loving this:

It's all too easy to get bogged down in all of the negatives. A little extra positivity is always a good thing.

Hi Yeti. Great to have you here. I've been a bit hard on myself lately, calling myself names and such. I made a promise to @Tanktimus the Encourager that I wouldn't do that anymore, so that's why it's in this is in this challenge. 

14 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

You don't bring the leftovers from the previous night? That's what I end up doing and it saves me close to $60 a week if I do that all 5-days I'm the office.

Sometimes. It depends what we have the night before. For example, tonight I'm making a sausage casserole so there will be left overs for lunch the next day, but last night we had pork loin steaks and that's not the sort of thing heats up well the next day. A large salad bowl costs about £6 and I know I can make something similar for less than half that at home. I just need to not be lazy and actually do it.

15 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

My vote is climbing, but maybe switch off weeks. Every other week is climbing and the weeks in between are lifting?

This is my thought too. I can't climb this week as my hands are in a real mess from the last few weekends OCR craziness. So I'll either lift this week or do an extra BMF session and then plan on climbing next week.

15 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

(Alas, no Deadpool/Rainbow Brite crossover, so, this is the closest I could get.)

Taco and chimichanga star sparkles!

11 hours ago, Cheetah said:

giphy.gif

This is both creepy and hypnotic.

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Have a great day CQ xx

Thanks! You too!

41 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Rainbow Brite was among the cartoons I remember I used to skip as "overly childish" along with the likes of Teletubbies or the Carebears. Bet I felt real edgy as a kid...

ALL THE RAINBOWS!

Reveal hidden contents

0DavD.gif

Ok, maybe not all the rainbows

These cartoons along with Transformers and He Man only existed to sell toys, I have a feeling you weren't the target market for the rainbow and sparkle filled ones! Not that it would have been a bad thing if you did find yourself drawn to them of course. Gender neutral toys FTW!  

• Like 6

2020 Races: 

11 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've just decided it's better not to have him in my life. Just because you are linked to someone by blood, doesn't mean you have like them or stay in touch with them if they are a toxic person.

That's also the conclusion I came to. 

13 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I really need to look up these Robot Chicken sketches people keep mentioning.

They are kinda dark and might not fit in with the theme of the challenge :D 

Spoiler

• Haha 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Week Zero is going to be a battle log. The quest will begin properly on the 28th, mostly because we're doing a night away in Wales this weekend to walk Snowdon again. I'm looking forward to trekking up the mountain again and glad Stu gets to do it this time (he was very sick last time we went and couldn't manage it). 

Tuesday 22nd

I went to BMF last night. Two things became obvious. 1. I probably need a bit more recovery time from the weekend, and 2. the cold I had a week ago is still lingering. 

I really struggled to keep up and spent the entire water break getting rid of a lot of gunk from my chest. I wanted to say horrible things about myself but I remembered my positive promise and instead told myself 'Focus, you're tired but you can do this' and pushed through to the end. It may not have been my strongest session, but I got through it.

I prepped a nice big salad for lunch today and remembered to pack it in my bag this morning too. So far so good.

• Like 8

2020 Races: 

21 hours ago, Salinger said:

Good job on not self destructing last night Charlie, im so proud of you <3 xx

Thanks. I'm getting better at this 'be kind to yourself' malarkey! 

20 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor hello gif

Felicity Jones Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

And by prince, I mean king of the gifs. It honestly feels like forever since RRDW yet it was only a few weeks ago. Hope you've been keeping well.

11 hours ago, EricMN said:

This makes me disproportionately happy.

'Sup, Mud Sister. I shall lurk (heh) here for running inspiration...

Image result for i understood that reference gif

I'll do my best to provide that inspiration. 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

16 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Felicity Jones Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor milady gif

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor handkiss gif

It honestly feels like forever since RRDW

Yes it does!

yet it was only a few weeks ago. Hope you've been keeping well.

I have been keeping... sumtin...

It was an odd feeling, a void, hard to describe. Also social life was getting hectic. So i'm not doing stellar. But after every down comes an up. I have refound my determination. Besides things are gonna cool down now quickly, which will enable me to keep to my goals much easier.

Even the fact i wrote them down in my challenge is, oddly, some sort of weight that has been lifted. "It is written, so now i have no choice but to follow it". 

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

Wednesday 23rd

I know I'm aiming for positivity in this challenge, by holy shit-balls batman, yesterday was such a crap fest of a day, I need a work rant

Work Rant:

Spoiler

UK peeps will have heard of the new data protection regulations that come into effect tomorrow (GDPR - fuck, I'm so sick of seeing that acronym) and it's a complete headache. We supply services predominantly to dentists, which means most of our clients are small one-man-bands that don't know jack shit about the incoming laws and just assume that we are going to do everything for them. Nope! We are a data processor, so we have sent all our customers an agreement to sign and a new privacy policy, but that doesn't stop them asking us a million and one questions about the personal data they store on their databases that have nothing to do with us! And then they get pissy when we have to tell them they need to seek advice from professional legal consultants if they haven't already. Yep, it's one day from the deadline, they've left it till the last minute and somehow this is my fault. 

I'm not sure I have anything positive to say about yesterday, other than I managed not hold my tongue when speaking to a few clients that really tested my last nerve. 

Anyway, I managed to go out for a run last night. 40 minutes at a steady pace. My legs felt like jelly after 30 minutes. I think the best way to describe me at the moment is 'under-recovered'. It's going to take a few days to get back to where I was a few weeks ago, but I'm not stressing about how my body feels right now, I'm fully aware it just needs a bit of time before it's back to being awesome again.

• Like 4

2020 Races: