C_Q: The Quest for the Sphere of Light

13 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

I have been keeping... sumtin...

It was an odd feeling, a void, hard to describe. Also social life was getting hectic. So i'm not doing stellar. But after every down comes an up. I have refound my determination. Besides things are gonna cool down now quickly, which will enable me to keep to my goals much easier.

Even the fact i wrote them down in my challenge is, oddly, some sort of weight that has been lifted. "It is written, so now i have no choice but to follow it". 

Being an introvert is tough when a lot of social stuff comes up at once. I get how you feel, you want to engage and be a social butterfly but it feels tiring after a while. Hopefully you can reset, take a breather and feel back to your usual inappropriate self soon :D

Can't wait to see your beast mode re-activate

beast mode GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1. The person on the other end of the phone is always to blame, for everything!

2. This is just amazing:

6 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

it just needs a bit of time before it's back to being awesome again.

You nailed it!

You'll be back to your awesome running self in no-time!

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

10 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Work Rant:

solidarity.jpg

I feel your pain :( 

I'm not sure I have anything positive to say about yesterday,

How about: You are a badass, kind and courageous woman! And sometimes not telling a client to GTFO is the hardest challenge of them all :D 

'under-recovered'

I cannot even begin to express how much I'm worried about trying to put in a 13-14 mile run on Saturday. 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

3 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

You nailed it!

You'll be back to your awesome running self in no-time!

oh yeah josh freydkis GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

3 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I feel your pain :( 

I'm dreading tomorrow. If yesterday and today were bad, I hate to think what deadline day is going to be like

How about: You are a badass, kind and courageous woman! And sometimes not telling a client to GTFO is the hardest challenge of them all

:D Actual conversation with my boss earlier; "You'll have to call so-and-so back, because if I speak to him again, there's a very real chance I'll call him a c**t" 

I cannot even begin to express how much I'm worried about trying to put in a 13-14 mile run on Saturday. 

I'm having to shift my to Bank Holiday Monday because of our Wales trip. We're actually leaving Wales a day earlier than planned just so I don't miss my long run this week! It does mean I'll be running 13-14 miles the day after walking up a mountain. I'm trying not to think about how I'm actually going to do that!

2 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Could you do me a favor and check this post out. Thanx!

Done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm not sure I have anything positive to say about yesterday, other than I managed not hold my tongue when speaking to a few clients that really tested my last nerve. 

That is definitely a positive. I don't think I've had a single day this week where I haven't needed to turn my music up loud and try not to speak my mind. Clients are behaving themselves lately, it's the colleagues that are testing my patience! 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Wednesday 23rd

I know I'm aiming for positivity in this challenge, by holy shit-balls batman, yesterday was such a crap fest of a day, I need a work rant

Work Rant:

Reveal hidden contents

UK peeps will have heard of the new data protection regulations that come into effect tomorrow (GDPR - fuck, I'm so sick of seeing that acronym) and it's a complete headache. We supply services predominantly to dentists, which means most of our clients are small one-man-bands that don't know jack shit about the incoming laws and just assume that we are going to do everything for them. Nope! We are a data processor, so we have sent all our customers an agreement to sign and a new privacy policy, but that doesn't stop them asking us a million and one questions about the personal data they store on their databases that have nothing to do with us! And then they get pissy when we have to tell them they need to seek advice from professional legal consultants if they haven't already. Yep, it's one day from the deadline, they've left it till the last minute and somehow this is my fault. 

I'm not sure I have anything positive to say about yesterday, other than I managed not hold my tongue when speaking to a few clients that really tested my last nerve. 

There are people in business environments who deserve to have us not hold our tongues. We have a third-party software vendor for asset tracking, and the support developer on their end is a notorious douche and regularly treats our end-users - who are administrative employees in our engineering department, not developers - like trash. I'm frequently included in conference calls to call him on the carpet for his douchebaggery. I get to use big words while making use of my best Disapproving Dad Voice.

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

:D Actual conversation with my boss earlier; "You'll have to call so-and-so back, because if I speak to him again, there's a very real chance I'll call him a c**t" 

I wish this was one of the words that Americans could get away with using, but on this side of the pond it's practically up there with racial slurs. 

• Like 3

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

6 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Oh no, this is most definitely a positive and sometimes damned impossible to do, especially when these idiots are blaming you for something that is their problem...

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

That is definitely a positive. I don't think I've had a single day this week where I haven't needed to turn my music up loud and try not to speak my mind. Clients are behaving themselves lately, it's the colleagues that are testing my patience! 

I think it's impossible to work in an office without feeling like you want to kill someone at some point during the day! Most days I want to murder the guy that never cleans the food trap in the sink and leaves bits of mushy food in it. Just writing that stirs my hate!

11 minutes ago, EricMN said:

There are people in business environments who deserve to have us not hold our tongues. We have a third-party software vendor for asset tracking, and the support developer on their end is a notorious douche and regularly treats our end-users - who are administrative employees in our engineering department, not developers - like trash. I'm frequently included in conference calls to call him on the carpet for his douchebaggery. I get to use big words while making use of my best Disapproving Dad Voice.

Oh how I'd love to listen in on one of those calls!

11 minutes ago, EricMN said:

I wish this was one of the words that Americans could get away with using, but on this side of the pond it's practically up there with racial slurs. 

It's not something you can get away with much here either. There are plenty of people that absolutely despise that word and I would never use it around someone I didn't know very well. Fortunately my boss is Irish so swears just as much and as badly as I do! 

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

That sounds justified. I've had conversations similar to that in the past. Along with 'No I'm not going to talk to him because he's a c**t," and so forth. 

I'm having to shift my to Bank Holiday Monday because of our Wales trip. We're actually leaving Wales a day earlier than planned just so I don't miss my long run this week! It does mean I'll be running 13-14 miles the day after walking up a mountain. I'm trying not to think about how I'm actually going to do that!

I'm just getting Wales to come to me over the bank holiday so I don't need to worry about any mountains (aka some of my Welsh family are coming to visit). What that does mean is that the only time i have to run is going to be at about 6am on Saturday morning :( in order to give myself time to go 13 miles! 

3 hours ago, EricMN said:

That's a lot easier to get away with when you are the client. A lot of our customer base are other IT firms so we end up doing a lot of support for other support departments and while I technically don't do support any more things can sometimes get escalated my way because, to blow my own horn, I'm well known for getting results. The number of times I've had to politely explain to somebody that they are simply a moron that should really learn their job before making accusations is unbelievable. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

That sounds justified. I've had conversations similar to that in the past. Along with 'No I'm not going to talk to him because he's a c**t," and so forth. 

I'm sure I never used to swear this badly before I worked in support!

What that does mean is that the only time i have to run is going to be at about 6am on Saturday morning :( in order to give myself time to go 13 miles!

I thought that was normal for you!

By the way, I may have just done something really awesome or really stupid. I'm blaming the pint of Punk and the husband egging me on. Looks like I'm running multiple laps of Nuclear next year. :D

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

19 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm sure I never used to swear this badly before I worked in support!

ditto

20 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I thought that was normal for you!

Yeah but I still like to turn off my alarm on a Saturday and get out when I feel like it, which is usually closer to 8am than 6am 

21 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

By the way, I may have just done something really awesome or really stupid. I'm blaming the pint of Punk and the husband egging me on. Looks like I'm running multiple laps of Nuclear next year. :D

LikableUnevenAllosaurus-max-1mb.gif

It's going to be a couple of months before I can realistically look at signing up to races for more next year but if they are still available I might be joining you. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

12 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

LikableUnevenAllosaurus-max-1mb.gif

It's going to be a couple of months before I can realistically look at signing up to races for more next year but if they are still available I might be joining you. 

This really needs to be the last one I sign up for for a while! I say that all the time and then I see something else that looks really cool. Must. Practice. Self. Control.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2020 Races: 

Thursday 24th

Took a rest day. This resulted in Stu and I going to the local pub for dinner and a pint. The meal took a while to arrive so the beer started to kick in before the food which resulted in us excitedly talking about races next year, which resulted in this happening when we got home

Spoiler

cexDuFj.jpg

This is what that means

Oblivion 2019 has the potential to be a 60k+/37+mile/450+ obstacle challenge. It’s Nuclear Oblivion EXTREME. Designed to challenge the fastest and fittest obstacle race athletes out there; it’s our most brutal & unforgiving event in the Nuclear calendar.

There’s 8.5 hours to complete as many 12k laps on the Nuclear Rush course tackling 90+ man-made & natural obstacles per lap. This event requires hardcore training as it’s the ultimate test of physical and mental endurance and strength. Entrants are Oblivion Extreme Legends. This is not a team event. Pit Crew welcome.

This would have scared me a year ago, but now the thought of doing this makes me really excited. It's going to take a lot of training, but I'm confident I can do 2 laps. If I really push myself, I might even manage 3. 4 laps isn't within my reach but that's OK, very few people manage that. 

Anyway, stupid OCR challenges aside, yesterday was a good day. I still got lots of calls from confused clients, but it wasn't the shit show I thought it would be. I left work in a good mood. Also, despite the last minute decision to go out for dinner, I still managed to prep a lunch for today. We were going to have a curry for dinner, so I threw all the ingredients into the slow cooker, left that on over night and had a nice curry waiting for me this morning. That's lunch today and dinner this evening sorted. 

Tomorrow we're driving to Wales for an overnight break so I'm going to do a little lifting tonight before I get my stuff packed. There will be a lot of walking this weekend and even though I'm going to be burning a lot of calories, I'm going to try not to go to crazy with food. I am allowing myself to have a Welsh cream tea though. If you've ever had a Welsh cream tea, you'll understand why!

• Like 4

2020 Races: 

26 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Anyway, stupid OCR challenges aside

Where some people see stupid, others see awesome! If I didn't really need my money for other things I'd be running to join in the fun! Isn't it weird how crazy endurance events that at one time looked impossible and insane suddenly seem doable and fun! 

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Hey, @Charlie_Quinn, I probably should just fb message this but meh, what's your verdict on the Roclite 315s? Now that I'm ready to actually buy stuff I'm freaking myself out over the choices again! :D I then read a review about MvL and freaked myself out even more! ugh. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Where some people see stupid, others see awesome! If I didn't really need my money for other things I'd be running to join in the fun! Isn't it weird how crazy endurance events that at one time looked impossible and insane suddenly seem doable and fun! 

I don't really think it's stupid, even though others may disagree. Even though I made it sound like I was entering it on a whim, I've thought about it all week and I know this is something I'm capable of doing. 

It is crazy that at one point I thought doing dirty weekend was something only the really insane people did and I would never do it!

9 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Hey, @Charlie_Quinn, I probably should just fb message this but meh, what's your verdict on the Roclite 315s? Now that I'm ready to actually buy stuff I'm freaking myself out over the choices again! :D I then read a review about MvL and freaked myself out even more! ugh. 

The jury is still out. I haven't worn them enough to really get a good feel for them yet. I'm wearing them on my long run this week, so I'll know more then I think. The few runs I've done in them have been comfortable, but I'm still a little unsure as they feel more bulky than other shoes I've worn. I'm sure that will be a benefit over 28+ miles!

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

Wow. I am in awe of you entering Oblivion! Aiming for 3 laps the week after Rat Race - you are hardcore! Go get it!

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I am allowing myself to have a Welsh cream tea though. If you've ever had a Welsh cream tea, you'll understand why!

Ugh. I went to Brecon last weekend and didn't even know this was a thing! I'm scared to google it in case I get a case of green eyed envy!

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

53 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

ow. I am in awe of you entering Oblivion! Aiming for 3 laps the week after Rat Race - you are hardcore! Go get it!

Thanks! My aim is really to do 2 laps, but if by some miracle I get to the end of lap 2 before the cut off time, it makes sense to try for a third lap, even if it's just a walking lap!

54 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

gh. I went to Brecon last weekend and didn't even know this was a thing! I'm scared to google it in case I get a case of green eyed envy!

I won't post a picture then. Welsh cream tea is a step up from Cornish/Devonshire cream tea. In the West Country you just get a scone. In Wales you get a scone, welsh cakes and a slice of bara birth (fruit cake). Drool.

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I don't really think it's stupid, even though others may disagree. Even though I made it sound like I was entering it on a whim, I've thought about it all week and I know this is something I'm capable of doing. 

No need to justify it to me :)  I've been doing a lot of the pondering with you! I know I could have ground out another lap at Nuclear last weekend even without preparing for it. I would have needed to eat something and have more fluids and electrolytes than we had but I could have done it and I'm sure you could have too! A think we were both really surprised at how well we recovered from RRDW and theoretically we are only going to be fitter and even more prepared by this time next year. If I didn't have other things that I need to buy first I'd have signed up already too. 

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The jury is still out. I haven't worn them enough to really get a good feel for them yet. I'm wearing them on my long run this week, so I'll know more then I think. The few runs I've done in them have been comfortable, but I'm still a little unsure as they feel more bulky than other shoes I've worn. I'm sure that will be a benefit over 28+ miles!

Okay, putting off the purchase until after the bank holiday won't hurt. Bulk doesn't' bother me that much (I have Hokas after-all) but weight might. They seem like the best option for the terrain but I put myself off by reading reviews. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Welsh cream tea is a step up from Cornish/Devonshire cream tea

I have to be very careful about the kind of jam I eat but Welsh Cream Tea might be my favourite thing to eat in the whole world! 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

And here I am contemplating buying unlimited laps at a 5k OCR in August. Why aren't there more people like you guys near me to do this crazy stuff with?

Because it's dangerous to have that much crazy in one place? :panda: 

I really wish the world were smaller and air travel cheaper (and less destructive) so that we could all participate in all the crazy meetups. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

No need to justify it to me :)  I've been doing a lot of the pondering with you!

My anxiety got the better of me a bit this morning and had me doubting myself, so this was more of motivational speech to remind myself that, yes, I can and yes, I will.

I know I could have ground out another lap at Nuclear last weekend even without preparing for it. I would have needed to eat something and have more fluids and electrolytes than we had but I could have done it and I'm sure you could have too! A think we were both really surprised at how well we recovered from RRDW and theoretically we are only going to be fitter and even more prepared by this time next year.

Touch-wood, as long as there are no serious injuries, we should both be more than capable of doing this in a years time. I mean, we were both talking about ultras next year, so it's not like we weren't already thinking of more endurance events!

Okay, putting off the purchase until after the bank holiday won't hurt. Bulk doesn't' bother me that much (I have Hokas after-all) but weight might. They seem like the best option for the terrain but I put myself off by reading reviews. 

Shoe angst is so annoying! I'll try and get back to you about my thoughts on them as soon after my run as I can. Drop me a message FB or a text or something if I forget. This is good actually, it means I have an added reason to run on Monday!

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

And here I am contemplating buying unlimited laps at a 5k OCR in August. Why aren't there more people like you guys near me to do this crazy stuff with?

58 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

^this. Also: do it. You know you want to. :P

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

11 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:
1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

^this. Also: do it. You know you want to. :P

We'd all just be broke from encouraging each other to sign up for EVERYTHING. But we'd be in awesome shape :D 

• Haha 1