• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SteveBar92

Post Weight Loss Question

Hello,  new member to the forum!

So from 2013 until about 2015, I lost 120lbs. I went from 300 to my current weight,  163. I'm left with some loose skin and what I've read to be "empty fat cells", that I've tried to trim down and.... nothing.  It wasn't until recently that I read those will never go away.  

I'm looking to actually bulk up in a healthier way (obviously), and I'm sticking to cleaner foods but just higher servings, healthy fats clean carbs, strict watch on sugar..so on.  Basically my question is... if I bulk up and keep myself on a good circuit/core strength workout, would that help me kind of "grow into it", or am I better off just getting surgery? 

• Like 1

No one can decide for you if surgery is the right choice for you or not. Only you can do that. If you gain some muscle, yes that'll help 'fill out' a bit, but you will likely still have loose skin (I know, it sucks). If it's not causing medical issues (ie. skin infections, or getting caught in stuff and tearing) then it's mostly an aesthetic/self confidence question.

Maybe try weight lifting for 18-24 months to try to put on 15-25lbs of muscle (assuming you're a dude? for women, aiming for 5-15 is a more realistic range) and then reassess. Adding muscle to your frame is just going to help keep you healthier, stronger, and more capable - there's no downside. ;)

By the way, well done on that weight loss! And KEEPING it off!!! Wowza.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Defining said:

No one can decide for you if surgery is the right choice for you or not. Only you can do that. If you gain some muscle, yes that'll help 'fill out' a bit, but you will likely still have loose skin (I know, it sucks). If it's not causing medical issues (ie. skin infections, or getting caught in stuff and tearing) then it's mostly an aesthetic/self confidence question.

Maybe try weight lifting for 18-24 months to try to put on 15-25lbs of muscle (assuming you're a dude? for women, aiming for 5-15 is a more realistic range) and then reassess. Adding muscle to your frame is just going to help keep you healthier, stronger, and more capable - there's no downside. ;)

By the way, well done on that weight loss! And KEEPING it off!!! Wowza.

Thank you very much! 

I'm totally okay with loose skin but when I'm doing planks and I have a bunch of loose, hanging fat.... I'm just tird of seeing that. 

I think I'll definitely bulk up then. I've been afraid to gain weight since I lost it but I'm too damn weak...I want to lift.  Lol

You do not necessarily need to "bulk up" in the traditional sense.

Try weight-training to gain some muscle, but, do it a little differently.

Take it slow with the extra calories.

Increase them only a few hundred at a time--make the bulk of the increase lean protein.

And then monitor your results--if you are putting on mainly body-fat--include in some easy aerobics.

If you are seeing nothing increase your calories a little more--keep doing this until you start seeing some gains.

Yes, it will take longer, but, this way you will gain mostly muscle--on your "bulk up".

Oh and make sure you are taking in some whey protein--if your stomach can handle--post-workout.

I like Optimum Nutrition's 100% whey gold standard--but, this is just me.

Go for it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Big Al. said:

Hey nice job on the weight loss Steve. 120 pounds is a crazy amount of weight to take off and its great that you are taking your fitness game to the next level by trying to bulk up a bit now. 

I  have certainly struggled with my own weight loss journey and seeing posts like this give me inspiration. 

I was wondering if I could ask if you had ever tried HIIT workouts? I have been reading a lot about these sort of workouts and it seems as though you can burn more calories that you typically would with any other workout. I have read articles about how people can work out only a few hours a week and have been able to still lose weight. This one user of this product even claimed that he lost weight working out 90 minutes a week in his reviewIs (link - http://simplefitnessproject.com/reviews/old-school-new-body/ ). Is this possible? I find it kinda hard to believe to be honest. 

If this is true, this is a type of exercise that would be really appealing to me. As someone who has a really busy schedule who doesn't have much time to begin with, being able to spend only a little bit of time working out each week would be amazing for me. 

For sure it does...I actuallydid HIIT for a while myself.  The only thing I would say is it honestly depends on your weight now.  If you're a "big boy", I would gear away from it rather than if you are only 40-50 pounds overweight.  High intensity workouts are better for those used to working out but may not sweat as much as usual.  

I would say try intermittent fasting where you give yourself a window to eat then after the time,  you fast the rest of the night.  Read up on it.  The way I would do it was like:

Monday: 12pm-8pm

Tuesday: 12pm-12am

Wednesday: 12pm-8pm

Thursday: 12pm-12am

Friday: 12pm-8pm

Saturday: 12pm-12am 

Sunday: Usually a 6-7 hour window to eat, probably 12pm-7pm or so.

You can do your times to whatever fits your schedule BUT, I do recommend doing cardio WHILE fasted.... you burn more body fat rather than the food you eat.  

On 5/22/2018 at 1:26 PM, SteveBar92 said:

Hello,  new member to the forum!

So from 2013 until about 2015, I lost 120lbs. I went from 300 to my current weight,  163. I'm left with some loose skin and what I've read to be "empty fat cells", that I've tried to trim down and.... nothing.  It wasn't until recently that I read those will never go away.  

I'm looking to actually bulk up in a healthier way (obviously), and I'm sticking to cleaner foods but just higher servings, healthy fats clean carbs, strict watch on sugar..so on.  Basically my question is... if I bulk up and keep myself on a good circuit/core strength workout, would that help me kind of "grow into it", or am I better off just getting surgery? 

I'm actually interested in hearing where you heard they were empty fat cells and that they wouldn't go away. Particularly if it hangs when you plank. I've actually always read the opposite - that it is just additional fat and that it is possible (although very hard!) to get rid of it. I'm linking a YouTube video of this guy who (per his video) lost 50 kilos. The video is about loose skin versus additional fat, but it shows how much progress can be made.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:35 PM, Defining said:

QFT. Skin reduction surgery is supposed to be really really painful. It's definitely a really big decision. Personally, if you aren't having any medical issues, I would explore every other option available before going forward. But that is only my opinion and you have to do what works for you.

I'd second working towards building muscle mass and lifting as an alternative. Gaining weight seems pretty scary when you've lost a lot (not as much as you, but I'm at 80 lbs down), but you'd be surprised how different weight can look when you gain it in a healthy manner and incorporate lifting. 

• Like 2