Gemma gets curiouser

Gemma

I was going to sit this one out, because I don't have anything in particular that I am targeting right now. All of my major goals are in the "keep doing what I'm already doing" category. I'm hitting cals and macros pretty consistently, lifting a la Starting Strength 3x/week, meditating, drinking water, don't currently have any compelling reason to change any of that.

But I have some space right now in my life to add a little nonsense, so I am going to stay and play for a bit in Wonderland, just because I can.

il_570xN.772284359_r7lz.jpg?version=0

Two goals. Simple.

Ride the Bandersnatch

giphy.gif

I go to the gym on Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings. Okay, great. What am I doing the other four days of the week?

Nuthin'.

So keeping this in the realm of the realistic, because I am over 50 and recovery time is a thing, I want to shoot for doing something physical at least 10 minutes a day. Lifting up weighty things is the only thing I've ever been consistent with, so I like to say it's the only thing I like. But there are so many ways to play, and I have time in small chunks through the day to just move about in the world more and differently. Things that will count include but are not limited to:

• practicing basic Irish step dancing moves learned from YouTube (before I commit to spending money to buy this)
  • hitting big tire with sledgehammer
  • doing all or part of a yoga, pilates, or other video (either YouTube, e.g. Yoga with Adriene, or some of the many DVDs I've bought and not used over the years, like Core Fusion)
  • playing with grandminion (counts if my heart rate elevates >110 as measured by Apple Watch)
  • heavy gardening (there has to be a shovel or some earth-moving tool involved, idly trimming stalks off a rosemary bush won't make the grade)
  • taking a long (at least 1 mile) brisk walk around the campus during my lunch break
  • stopping by the gym after work on the way home to push the Prowler
  • pull-ups stuff: e.g. bar hangs, assisted pulls. I always say I'm going to do this, and I never do it, and I don't know why.

Make a Hat

I have a million art/craft/writing projects that I could be working on, instead of coming home every night and laying on the sofa and surfing the internet until it's time to make dinner and go to bed. Why don't I? I love making stuff. And Steve's article yesterday about what to do when you're overwhelmed/stuck reminded me that I am always happier when I am creating something (#7).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToUCOKSDix2eQM2l6Rrhv          

So, goal = spend at least two 30 minute blocks of time per week Making.

Maker things that I can do that will count towards this (others may arise):

• decoupage some of the outlet/switch covers for the Hobbit Hole
  • work on the Alice drawing for HH
  • Work on chalkboard art for church
  • Write/outline/character sketch on any of the myriad novels that live in my head that I never touch outside of November/NaNoWriMo

I always do better if I bribe myself have a loot reward planned, so if I can hit 25 out of 28 days of fun, intentional movement, and 7 of 8 Maker-time blocks, I'm buying myself a new pair of Rothys.

Ride the Bandersnatch: 0/28

Make a Hat: 0/8

giphy.gif

• Like 6

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Read Harder Challenge                                                                                                                                        

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

Just now, Gemma said:

Ride the Bandersnatch

TWSS

1 minute ago, Gemma said:

pull-ups stuff: e.g. bar hangs, assisted pulls. I always say I'm going to do this, and I never do it, and I don't know why.

Cause they're hard.

TWSS

• Haha 2

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

I was going to sit this one out, because I don't have anything in particular that I am targeting right now. All of my major goals are in the "keep doing what I'm already doing" category. I'm hitting cals and macros pretty consistently, lifting a la Starting Strength 3x/week, meditating, drinking water, don't currently have any compelling reason to change any of that.

But I have some space right now in my life to add a little nonsense, so I am going to stay and play for a bit in Wonderland, just because I can.

il_570xN.772284359_r7lz.jpg?version=0

Two goals. Simple.

Ride the Bandersnatch

giphy.gif

I go to the gym on Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings. Okay, great. What am I doing the other four days of the week?

Nuthin'.

So keeping this in the realm of the realistic, because I am over 50 and recovery time is a thing, I want to shoot for doing something physical at least 10 minutes a day. Lifting up weighty things is the only thing I've ever been consistent with, so I like to say it's the only thing I like. But there are so many ways to play, and I have time in small chunks through the day to just move about in the world more and differently. Things that will count include but are not limited to:
  • practicing basic Irish step dancing moves learned from YouTube (before I commit to spending money to buy this)
  • hitting big tire with sledgehammer
  • doing all or part of a yoga, pilates, or other video (either YouTube, e.g. Yoga with Adriene, or some of the many DVDs I've bought and not used over the years, like Core Fusion)
  • playing with grandminion (counts if my heart rate elevates >110 as measured by Apple Watch)
  • heavy gardening (there has to be a shovel or some earth-moving tool involved, idly trimming stalks off a rosemary bush won't make the grade)
  • taking a long (at least 1 mile) brisk walk around the campus during my lunch break
  • stopping by the gym after work on the way home to push the Prowler
  • pull-ups stuff: e.g. bar hangs, assisted pulls. I always say I'm going to do this, and I never do it, and I don't know why.

Make a Hat

I have a million art/craft/writing projects that I could be working on, instead of coming home every night and laying on the sofa and surfing the internet until it's time to make dinner and go to bed. Why don't I? I love making stuff. And Steve's article yesterday about what to do when you're overwhelmed/stuck reminded me that I am always happier when I am creating something (#7).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToUCOKSDix2eQM2l6Rrhvx1M_E9o1u4ZNYAgWPAIB9LUaziTm6          

So, goal = spend at least two 30 minute blocks of time per week Making.

Maker things that I can do that will count towards this (others may arise):
  • decoupage some of the outlet/switch covers for the Hobbit Hole
  • work on the Alice drawing for HH
  • Work on chalkboard art for church
  • Write/outline/character sketch on any of the myriad novels that live in my head that I never touch outside of November/NaNoWriMo

I always do better if I bribe myself have a loot reward planned, so if I can hit 25 out of 28 days of fun, intentional movement, and 7 of 8 Maker-time blocks, I'm buying myself a new pair of Rothys.

Ride the Bandersnatch: 0/28
Make a Hat: 0/8
giphy.gif

Making hats is so. Much. Fun.

I never really knew how, so I goggles it and got into it for cosplay. I wish I had more time for it now.

Sounds like a great setup, and some awesome goals [emoji1303]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i had so many things to say about your awesome goals but then you distracted me with rothys! 

giphy.gif

you must like them if you want to treat yourself with another pair? i have wide feet and a bunion* so i'm always on the lookout for comfy shoes.

*technically a bunionette because it's on the outside of my foot near the pinky toe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i had so many things to say about your awesome goals but then you distracted me with rothys! 

you must like them if you want to treat yourself with another pair? i have wide feet and a bunion* so i'm always on the lookout for comfy shoes.

I also have wide feet, and I love love love love them! They are more comfortable than Tieks, and I did not realize that was possible. I don't do heels anymore, my lower back and I came to an understanding about that, but flats can be just as bloody painful! Until the "comfy flats revolution" that started with Tieks, I wore actual ballet slippers as if they were real shoes (they hold up for a couple months, no more) because everything else that was acceptable in business-casual-land gave me blisters or pinched. 

Spoiler for shoe fans ONLY (no @Grumble's allowed ;))

Spoiler

Loot will be these - the Point, in red camo: (or leopard. decisions are hard.) 

002-red-camo-B.jpg?v=1505226052

• Like 3

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

Cause they're hard.

TWSS

Oh yeah, huh?

I also have a weird mental thing about it being, like, "too much effort" - not to do the actual things, but to set them up. To dig the over-the-door pullup bar out of the storage/junk room, hang it up over the door in the guest room where it fits, go downstairs to get the stepladder, climb up to attach the assistance bands ... seriously not exactly a big deal at all but in my mind I don't want to bother with "all that" just to do "one exercise." If I can't get to the gym and I have to do the whole workout at home, using the pullup bar and suspension trainer, then it seems worth it somehow??? 

Brains are weird. 

• Like 2

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

17 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Do you have a tree branch you can hang from?

Sadly no. My husband is a pruning nut. The lowest branch on the giant water oak is at least 20 ft high, and the maples and apple trees are too flimsy. :( 

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

15 hours ago, Gemma said:

I also have wide feet, and I love love love love them! They are more comfortable than Tieks, and I did not realize that was possible. I don't do heels anymore, my lower back and I came to an understanding about that, but flats can be just as bloody painful! Until the "comfy flats revolution" that started with Tieks, I wore actual ballet slippers as if they were real shoes (they hold up for a couple months, no more) because everything else that was acceptable in business-casual-land gave me blisters or pinched. 

this is AMAZING to hear. i can't wait to prize myself with these soon!

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

18 hours ago, Gemma said:

To dig the over-the-door pullup bar out of the storage/junk room, hang it up over the door in the guest room where it fits, go downstairs to get the stepladder, climb up to attach the assistance bands

Would it be possible to attach the bands to it before hanging the bar? Or do you also need the step ladder to hang the bar?

Not that I also follow a similar train of thought to avoid doing bar hangs. Nope. Not me..

• Like 1

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Would it be possible to attach the bands to it before hanging the bar? Or do you also need the step ladder to hang the bar?

Not that I also follow a similar train of thought to avoid doing bar hangs. Nope. Not me..

or also could you leave the pull up bar in the guest room and only remove it when you have people staying there? or is it too aesthetically displeasing?

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

or also could you leave the pull up bar in the guest room and only remove it when you have people staying there? or is it too aesthetically displeasing?

Okay see now I'm starting to feel guilt, like my excuses are actually super-extra-lame and don't hold water or something ...

gif22.gif

I use the stepladder to get my foot *into* the assistance bands. Or to get up into position for negatives (I hit my head on the doorframe if I try to jump into position, because klutz!)

We keep all the bedroom doors closed, that's why I don't just leave the thing up all the time. We don't heat and cool the whole house unless it's occupied, plus I have a boxer-dumb-dog who likes to eat things that are not food and then have emergency $$$urgery, so we very strictly limit the dogs' access to rooms where we are not directly with them. We don't want them able to go upstairs, except the hallway, when we are downstairs. I have frequently thought that I would use the pull-up bar a lot more if it was just permanently up somewhere. I may try to get the hubs to build one in the backyard. We used to have one, and we tore it down to put the vegetable garden in after the boys left home.

Best case scenario:  I just woman up and stop making excuses and do the thing. It is not that hard. I guess if I ever actually want the unassisted pull-up as bad as I say I want it, I'll start doing it.

In the meantime, I did a 10 minute Core Fusion video last night - I forgot how quickly I get bored with low weight high rep stuff (35 reps of triceps kickbacks with a 5# weight, my mind wandered off and I almost didn't get it back.)

• Like 3

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

4 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Okay see now I'm starting to feel guilt, like my excuses are actually super-extra-lame and don't hold water or something ...

those are very justifiable reasons not to leave the dang thing up! and i absolutely would avoid setting up that whole thing just for a few minutes of hangs.

Instagram | pinterest

15 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I forgot how quickly I get bored with low weight high rep stuff (35 reps of triceps kickbacks with a 5# weight, my mind wandered off and I almost didn't get it back.

I did those once and stupid thing went on vacation for a whole week. Very annoying. I had to pretend I knew what I was doing even more than normal.

16 minutes ago, Gemma said:

gif22.gif

I read this short story about hatter and hare where the mercury from the hatmaking had driven them both fully insane with moments of lucidity. Oh, and they were lovers. It was... interesting.

• Haha 3

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

I feel like we need to steer the conversation in the general direction of non-wide feet, so I can contribute...

I thought you were supposed to shun the fruminous bandersnatch, not ride it?

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Wait, whut?

Jabberwocky :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

14 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I feel like we need to steer the conversation in the general direction of non-wide feet, so I can contribute...

I don't know anything about non-wide feet, I've had paddleboat fins at the ends of my legs my whole life, but I've heard that slenderer-footed persons generally prefer Tieks over Rothys (to whatever extent you believe fashion-blogger reviews)

14 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I thought you were supposed to shun the fruminous bandersnatch, not ride it?

5 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Wait, whut?

39 minutes ago, Grumble said:

But it helps the vorpal blade go Snicker-snack!

Tim Burton, y'all. All the very best Alice traditions are there, and Jabberwocky seamlessly embedded, but some of them sorta slide sideways a bit. The Bandersnatch was one of my favorite characters in these films (along with Mallymkun, a.k.a. the Dormouse, and Absolem the blue caterpillar). 

Not to worry, though, the Jabberwock still needs to be slain with the vorpal sword on the frabjous day. Not even Burton was willing to mess that up!

GorgeousPartialAnkolewatusi-max-1mb.gif

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

19 minutes ago, Gemma said:

but some of them sorta slide sideways a bit.

Mad Hatter GIF - MadHatter GIFs
Madhatter Shocked GIF - Madhatter Shocked JohnnyDepp GIFs

20 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Not to worry, though, the Jabberwock still needs to be slain with the vorpal sword on the frabjous day.

Reminds me of American MCgee's Alice. I actually own a copy of the Vorpal knife from the game.

• Like 1

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Reminds me of American MCgee's Alice. I actually own a copy of the Vorpal knife from the game.

It reminded me a little of the A.G. Howard Alice books (I haven't read the 3rd one yet)

12558285.jpg

• Like 2

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor