You can lose weight on a vending machine diet, so the list you gave doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot.

You need to determine your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and/or your basal metabolic rate (BMR), and then make eat less than that to lose weight.  

First pass thoughts on the list though are it's 1) incredibly low protein, 2) not a lot of variety, 3) lacking vegetables, 4) not a lot of food in general which would personally make me murder someone after a day and a half.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Thanks for that feedback! I am vegetarian, so I would love any advice on how to be healthy on a vegetarian diet. I also need something grab and go in the morning. 

Let me know if you have any tips on improvement!

17 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

You can lose weight on a vending machine diet, so the list you gave doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot.

You need to determine your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) and/or your basal metabolic rate (BMR), and then make eat less than that to lose weight.  

First pass thoughts on the list though are it's 1) incredibly low protein, 2) not a lot of variety, 3) lacking vegetables, 4) not a lot of food in general which would personally make me murder someone after a day and a half.

You should look into some cookbooks or find an informative youtube channel (I like High Carb Hannah and avant garde vegan) where they cook vegetarian options. My sister in law really loves the Oh She Glows cookbooks and Thug Kitchen but they are vegan.

You will want to up your vegetables...They have a lot of good nutrients in them, including protein.  

Beans, Lentils, Nuts, Oatmeal, Greek Yogurt, Eggs, Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Mushrooms, Parsley, Cucumbers, Green Peppers, Cabbage, Tomatoes.. All are great meatless sources of protein. 

Like for your lunch I would probably add some fresh tomato with some herbs in. A side salad or soup. Dinner create a sort of "Burrito bowl" or "taco salad". Add as many veggies in there as you can. Pico de Galo, cilantro, fresh lime juice, lettuce, spinach, peppers, mushrooms. Your meals should be vibrant! 

If you can, you should find a nutritionist or dietitian who is familiar with the vegetarian diet.  

Here is an example of a vegan meal prep which looks quite good and filling. Obviously you would need to adjust for your calorie needs.

* I am not vegetarian or vegan but my SIL is and so is my niece 

• Like 2

{Chase the wind and touch the sky; I will fly}

You are not really taking in very  much protein.

I would change up your morning protein shake to something like this---

Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Plant protein.

They are a great company, and are one of the first brands I check when I am looking for something.

Along with this I would focus on more vegetables--like others have said, there are none on this list.

Also, I would take in most of my carbs--after my workout.

You do not mention if you are going to work out to help you in your quest  to have a slimmed down appearance, but, I would suggest that you

Do some form of weight training--to help you build lean muscle--which burns the most calories--so it will help keep you lean

Along with some form of aerobics--my favorite is brisk walking.

Hope this helps

Hi Suki,

Although I could spout a few things about macros, TDEE, caloric intake, post exercise energy expendtiture etc blah blah. I would recomend trying to find some articles, based on real studies (not bro-science) written by some well respected people in the fitness industry.

Sources from a few people who read research that I like:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/vegan-bodybuilding/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/what-are-good-sources-of-protein-wrapping-it-up.html/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eat-Green-Get-Lean-Vegetarian/dp/1938895193

https://barbend.com/clarence-kennedy-vegan-diet/

I wish I could provide more vegetarian specific info, but here is probably one of the best articles ever written about setting up a diet:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851

On 5/23/2018 at 9:11 AM, Suki said:

Thanks for that feedback! I am vegetarian, so I would love any advice on how to be healthy on a vegetarian diet. I also need something grab and go in the morning. 

Let me know if you have any tips on improvement!

Honestly, a healthy vegetarian diet is essentially pick any set of vegetables and go to town.  Avoid the usual "vegetarian" fare of pasta, bread, rice (not that there's anything wrong with them, but they are foods that lend themselves to over eatings).  Don't buy the fallacy that because something is vegetarian it's automatically healthy . My roommate is a vegetarian and regularly eats large vegetarian pizzas and multiple boxes of Mac and Cheese, all while complaining about the weight he's gained.

I'm a fan of overnight oats/oatmeal for breakfasts.  Also hardboiled eggs.  Cottage cheese and fruit.  Even a protein shake can be good if you're looking to eat on the go.  Also at the end of the day, breakfast can be really whatever you want, even if it's last night's dinner.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 6/1/2018 at 8:29 AM, Rookie said:

To add because I only just remembered... I was talking to my SIL and she mentioned that dates are a great source of iron. She becomes anemic when she does vegetarian/vegan lifestyles. 

Cooking in cast iron pans can also help with iron. And, if you're not going to be including dairy or eggs (I don't see any on your list), you should definitely figure out where you're going to get B12. Some brands of nutritional yeast are supplemented with it, but not all, and whether that's enough would also depend on how much of it you're eating. 

• Like 1