The Silver Archer: Solo Mission

SkyGirl

7 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I originally planned to have a nice detailed post about the packing plan I've made for myself and how it's going, but I'm just running low on posting energy this week ... I feel like there's still so much to do and I'm quickly running out of time to do it. I should have done some packing tonight because I have to work all day for my advisor tomorrow, but my sibs wanted to watch Back to the Future, and I'm also trying to spend time with them, too, since I won't be seeing them for three months. Fortunately, my mom reminded me today that I have one more day than I thought I did (*facepalm*), so even though I keep derping on the timeline for this move, at least the timeline keeps working out for me to have more time instead of less. I can do the rest of my packing over the weekend if I need to and it'll be okay.

It’s exceedingly stressful, but I know you can do it. And just think, worst case scenario, you forgot something. If it’s important, you can repurchase it or have your siblings mail it to you. As long as you have the basics, everything else is icing on the cake. You’re not moving forever. :)

As most of you know, my siblings' and my little dog passed away unexpectedly last weekend ... today I went to pick up the urn with his ashes and the clay pawprint casts that we ordered, and the cremation service staff had included in the package a small heart that's embedded with flower seeds. I'm so, so excited - I have a lovely pot to plant it in, and I'm going to do that tomorrow evening so I can take it with me to Maryland. Between the pawprints and the flowers, doggo's spirit will keep me company even though I'm far from home.

giphy.gif

I uh... have some dust in my eyes... yeah.

giphy.gif

in all seriousness, I’m glad you have these keepsakes to comfort your heart.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2018 at 1:44 AM, SkyGirl said:

See, this is why people should never ever knock online friends compared to IRL ones. No matter what state I park my rear in at the end of the day, we can all come together to this space and it's always here right where we left it. I'm so blessed and glad to belong to such a caring and supportive community. What did I do before I knew you guys??

This this this THIS SO MUCH!!!!!  We're all always here, right where we left each other.  It's perfect.  This community has been with me through thick and thin and I can't think of another group of more wonderful, thoughtful, supportive people <33333

11 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

As most of you know, my siblings' and my little dog passed away unexpectedly last weekend ... today I went to pick up the urn with his ashes and the clay pawprint casts that we ordered, and the cremation service staff had included in the package a small heart that's embedded with flower seeds. I'm so, so excited - I have a lovely pot to plant it in, and I'm going to do that tomorrow evening so I can take it with me to Maryland. Between the pawprints and the flowers, doggo's spirit will keep me company even though I'm far from home.

THIS IS SO PERFECT!!! Oh maaaaan.  I'm not crying YOU'RE crying ok NVM we're all crying waaahhh~~

I lived in Maryland for 5-ish years and it was wonderful!!! ^________^

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

21 hours ago, Salinger said:

That is lovely SG, you have so many things to keep his spirit alive <3 beautiful!!! I hope you are doing ok, i think of you often xx

Thank you Sal!! I'm hanging in there - running about six steps behind as usual, but I haven't quit running yet!

SQd.gif

20 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Unfortunately he died very unexpectedly in his sleep when he was 6 years old. It was a good death though, as he was curled up on his pillow like he always sleeps, so he must have gone quietly in his sleep.

Ohh, my heart goes out to you - I can't imagine how horrible it must have been to think your buddy was healthy and then lose him so suddenly. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

20 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

He doesn't care that he is 50+ lbs, he think he's still a lap dog!

Hi from me and my friend!

Eeeep, what a sweet-faced pupper!! He looks so happy and friendly and like loves hugs!  :D 

... just to be clear, this time I'm talking about the dog.  ;)  

19 hours ago, annyshay said:

Awwwww *hugs*

HUGS YOU BACK

giphy.gif 

16 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Here to follow and support in any way I can, Sky! 

I'm so glad, Rho!! It wouldn't be right without you!  :D 

?width=528&version=1587168

16 hours ago, Shadri said:

And just think, worst case scenario, you forgot something. If it’s important, you can repurchase it or have your siblings mail it to you. As long as you have the basics, everything else is icing on the cake. You’re not moving forever. :)

Oohhh, thank you, this was just what I needed to hear today!! I keep worrying I'm going to Forget Something, so thank you for reminding me that I'm not traveling by covered wagon and never returning to my homeland again.  ;) 

16 hours ago, Shadri said:

I uh... have some dust in my eyes... yeah.

crying-cutting-onions.gif

11 hours ago, shaar said:

This this this THIS SO MUCH!!!!!  We're all always here, right where we left each other.  It's perfect.  This community has been with me through thick and thin and I can't think of another group of more wonderful, thoughtful, supportive people <33333

Exactly!! It's like coming home at the end of a long day and finding your friends gathered around a delicious meal or awesome movie.  :D  So much awesomeness!!

THIS IS SO PERFECT!!! Oh maaaaan.  I'm not crying YOU'RE crying ok NVM we're all crying waaahhh~~

I planted it today!! I'm out of attachment space to put it here, but I put it on Google Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2FH7kLg4C2bFxMdS2 

I lived in Maryland for 5-ish years and it was wonderful!!! ^________^

You did?? That's awesome to hear! I did some scouting of my new neighborhood on Google Earth the other day, and was pleasantly surprised by how quiet and homey it looks - I was expecting a more metropolitan area!

• Like 5

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

8 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I planted it today!! I'm out of attachment space to put it here, but I put it on Google Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2FH7kLg4C2bFxMdS2 

My gosh that's a lovely photo.  Just perfect!!!! <3

8 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

You did?? That's awesome to hear! I did some scouting of my new neighborhood on Google Earth the other day, and was pleasantly surprised by how quiet and homey it looks - I was expecting a more metropolitan area!

Yeah!  I was up in the Frederick area for a year or so, then lived around Germantown/Gaithersburg for another 4-5.  There are a LOT of real cozy homey places out there, definitely the more northerly you get IMO, down towards DC it's more suburban and busybusy but still really nice... I miss it!!

• Like 1

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

2 hours ago, shaar said:

Yeah!  I was up in the Frederick area for a year or so, then lived around Germantown/Gaithersburg for another 4-5.  There are a LOT of real cozy homey places out there, definitely the more northerly you get IMO, down towards DC it's more suburban and busybusy but still really nice... I miss it!!

That's awesome! I'll be about an hour outside DC, so hopefully it won't be quite so metropolitan as it looks on the map.  :D  Most of the roads on Google Earth were pretty quiet and it looked more suburb-y than city-y, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm excited to be so close to the ocean and to so many cool things to see and do - I love my part of the Midwest and will probably live and die here, but there is nottthing to do unless you drive at least two hours away from home. Nothing-notta-zilch. 

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Woke up very late this morning with all sorts of little annoyances ... I was awakened by the itching of a massive mosquito bite on my foot that was not there yesterday, and upon awakening, discovered that I've got some kind of an infection in the outer part of my right ear. The whole darn thing is swollen up about twice its normal size, red as a tomato, and itchy and hot and making me feel just blecch all over. I'm treating with hydrogen peroxide, Neosporin and ibuprofen to take the swelling down, but so far it's not helping much.

But! Today is Le Ultimate Packing Day, and late start notwithstanding, I've got a lot of work ahead of me today. I forget whether I mentioned this already, but my packing strategy is to divide my apartment into zones, rather than lists of things; because it was much too overwhelming to try to list all the stuff I want to take - it's much easier to just drag some boxes over to an area of the house and carefully go through it and find what I want to bring. So my remaining zones look as such:

Bed area

- Sheets and blankets

- Pillows

- Stuffed animals

- Mattress

- Bed frame

Chest and dresser

- Le casual clothes

Bathroom closet / bathroom

- All the bottles of body cleaning stuffs

- Perfumes

- Makeup (SUPER MOST IMPORTANT)

- Hair curling supplies (SECOND MOST IMPORTANT)

Kitchen and important documents

- Mostly important documents, and also some snacks that no one else eats

Living room and My Spot

- All the dresses airing out on the rack (yes, we live in an apartment; everywhere is laundry area)

- My bookshelf-top decorations

- Sketchpad and art supplies

- Exercise bands for PT

- More books?  :) 

- Camera

- Guitar

Coat closet

- Rain jacket

- Baseball cap

Utility room

- I don't think there's anything in here I need, but I'm checking it just in case

Balcony

- Doggo's flowerpot!!  :D 

I don't thiiiiink this will take too long?? I hope???

Better get started .......  :P 

• Like 6

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

Wow that is a big change. But you are prepared, you have all the resources, and are smart enough to know you don't need to hit the gas right now. Here to encourage you, and hope we can be friends. :))

I usually do a cold compress with a boric acid solution on things like mosquito bites (it's super cooling) - not sure how near you eyes the other swelling is so I am not suggesting it for there unless you can find the eye safe one.

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

21 minutes ago, Echocheanic said:

Wow that is a big change. But you are prepared, you have all the resources, and are smart enough to know you don't need to hit the gas right now. Here to encourage you, and hope we can be friends. :))

I usually do a cold compress with a boric acid solution on things like mosquito bites (it's super cooling) - not sure how near you eyes the other swelling is so I am not suggesting it for there unless you can find the eye safe one.

As a person who is mosquito meat most summer, I’m very excited to try this

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

25 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

As a person who is mosquito meat most summer, I’m very excited to try this

I use the 3% one. It dries really fast, and can feel like you removed it out of a fridge. Hope it helps. I got a spider bite on my foot one summer that swelled really badly and itched so much I wanted to hack it off. I at first had to use ice water on it till I got this and it was instant relief. Just remember to keep wetting it if it goes dry because the compress can start itching. 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

12 hours ago, Shadri said:

The overprotective-motherish instinct inside me notices you didn’t include bath towels on this list, so here is a reminder just in case! :panda:

Gosh this comment warmed my heart Shadri you are a blessing ok <33333

21 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

- Stuffed animals

HECK YEAH one of the most important things to pack IMO!!  I hated boxing mine up to put into storage, and can't wait 'till I can pull 'em out again once I'm in my new place. ^______^

Hope everything packed as well as it could and that you're feeling better!!

• Like 2

Following - good luck on the move!

48e7d1994a94fd9c2a8fcfe97ef10294.jpeg

As an Air Force brat as a kid, I always remember what my mom used to say to everyone about moving:

Have a bag (or a small box) with the following:

1. One plate, fork and cup per person.

2. TP

3. The stuffed animal of your choice

4. Your pillow.

Make sure this bag is either on top of your stuff or in your car.  Many tears are avoided this way.

Good luck!

• Like 5

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

19 hours ago, Echocheanic said:

Here to encourage you, and hope we can be friends. :))

Of course we can!!

19 hours ago, Echocheanic said:

I am definitely hanging onto this, because like @ladyofthebog, I'm usually mosquito meat all summer too - and I'm going to be living in a region that used to be swamp a few hundred years ago.  :D 

14 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Sooo sorry about the pupper. :( 

*lots of hugs*

So did I read the post correctly...you're moving to Maryland?

Thank you so much - we miss pupper terribly. He was definitely a member of the family, and his absence is felt in a thousand little ways each day - quiet breakfasts without gentle whimpering for scraps, evenings without him plopped in the middle of the room so he can keep an eye on everyone, mornings without walks, coming home with no excited barking to greet us. I was one of those people who slightly judged friends who were hugely broken up over the loss of a pet because it's "just an animal," but I wish I could go back in time and hug every one of those friends, because now I see what they meant.  :( 

But yes - I am moving to Maryland! I'll be working as a science communication intern for one of the NASA centers out on the east coast!  :D 

The overprotective-motherish instinct inside me notices you didn’t include bath towels on this list, so here is a reminder just in case! :panda:

Thank you dear Shadri!! I'm going to buy towels and washcloths when I get there, because I don't want to take Bro and Sis's.  :)  But they're one of the items that keeps rattling around in my "oh gosh yes don't forget about ________" list in the back of my head!!

You play guitar?? That’s so cool ^_^

A tinyyyyyy bit!! I was taking lessons for a while in between two of my college degrees and I think I would have been pretty good if I had stuck with it!  :D 

17 minutes ago, shaar said:

Isn't she just???

17 minutes ago, shaar said:

HECK YEAH one of the most important things to pack IMO!!  I hated boxing mine up to put into storage, and can't wait 'till I can pull 'em out again once I'm in my new place. ^______^

I know, I was legit apologizing to my bear, dog, llama, and cat this morning and warning them that I'm going to have to transport them in a garbage bag ... they've done that before and they get it, but ... it still feels wronggg to put my little buddies in a garbage bag like they're not alive!!!  :o 

19 minutes ago, shaar said:

As a matter of fact, I am more pumped full of antibiotics than I have ever been in my life, and I feel so sluggish and queasy that I don't want to do anything at all today ... but I'm almost done with the packing and can do the rest slowly, so that's okay!!

10 minutes ago, Moros said:

As an Air Force brat as a kid, I always remember what my mom used to say to everyone about moving:

Have a bag (or a small box) with the following:

1. One plate, fork and cup per person.

2. TP

3. The stuffed animal of your choice

4. Your pillow.

Make sure this bag is either on top of your stuff or in your car.  Many tears are avoided this way.

Good luck!

This is genius!! Please thank your mom for me!  :D  And thanks for the well-wishes and glad you're following!!

• Like 6

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

16 minutes ago, shaar said:

Awww shucks shaar *blush* <3<3

(You should know, autocorrect turned shaar into “shark”)

I’ve forgotten towels before and I inevitably remember after I’ve already showered! It’s a bad enough predicament in your own house - I didn’t want Sky to meet that fate in a brand new apartment with strangers!! :P 

Also AMEN to stuffies, stuffies are Very Necessary and Good!!!

12 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

Thank you dear Shadri!! I'm going to buy towels and washcloths when I get there, because I don't want to take Bro and Sis's.  :)  But they're one of the items that keeps rattling around in my "oh gosh yes don't forget about ________" list in the back of my head!!

A tinyyyyyy bit!! I was taking lessons for a while in between two of my college degrees and I think I would have been pretty good if I had stuck with it!  :D 

Isn't she just???

Ah, ok good! :)

Cool!! I tried to learn once, but at the time my hands weren’t big enough to manage the bar chords, so I gave up, haha. Now I play ukulele ^_^ 

Ohhhh you guys <3<3<3<3<3

I hope the antibiotics help!! That ear infection sounds awful :(

Yesterday wound up a bit weird ... my ear continued to get hotter and redder and more uncomfortable as the day went on, so finally I texted my mom and begged a ride to urgent care ... turns out the skin of my ear is infected somehow. Literally NO clue how that happened. So they gave me a nasty penicillin shot in my hip and the biggest antibiotic pills I've ever seen in my life, and today my ear is feeling better. Now just to deal with my stomach saying it never ever wants to eat again and my right hip being so sore that it woke me up a couple of times in the night ...

Packing yesterday went pretty well despite not feeling good! Here's my list as of today:

Bed area

- Sheets and blankets

- Pillows

- Stuffed animals

- Mattress

- Bed frame

Chest and dresser

- Le casual clothes

- Perfumes

- Mostly important documents, and also some snacks that no one else eats

Living room and My Spot

- All the dresses airing out on the rack (yes, we live in an apartment; everywhere is laundry area)

- Exercise bands for PT

- More books?  :) 

- Camera

- Guitar

Coat closet

- Rain jacket

- Baseball cap

Utility room

- I don't think there's anything in here I need, but I'm checking it just in case  <-- Found a pair of shoes I forgot I had stuck in there, so glad I checked!!

Balcony

- Doggo's flowerpot!!  :D 

It looks like a lot, but it will come together much faster than the clothes. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.  :D  I'm resting this morning, and soon I'll eat something and take my next round of antibiotic (*bleeeeeeeech*), then start up again.

Yoooooooo this is getting real!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=9630749 

• Like 7

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

30 minutes ago, Shadri said:

I’ve forgotten towels before and I inevitably remember after I’ve already showered! It’s a bad enough predicament in your own house - I didn’t want Sky to meet that fate in a brand new apartment with strangers!! :P 

Oh gosh, how awful!! I also just pictured a scenario in which I didn't bring toilet paper "because I'm going to buy some when I get there," and realized all the awfulness in that; so I appreciate your reminders!!

32 minutes ago, Shadri said:

Cool! I tried to learn once, but at the time my hands weren’t big enough to manage the bar chords, so I gave up, haha. Now I play ukulele ^_^ 

That's so cool!! I didn't know you were part of the uke crowd! There are a couple of other Rangers who play the uke, aren't there? I know @Cheetah does!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

Oh gosh, how awful!! I also just pictured a scenario in which I didn't bring toilet paper "because I'm going to buy some when I get there," and realized all the awfulness in that; so I appreciate your reminders!!

There is always need for one roll at least. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Ooh, how close to the PA border will you be (sorry if I missed that in an earlier post)?

Not too close - at least 4 hours away, probably more with traffic.  :P 

1 hour ago, Echocheanic said:

There is always need for one roll at least. :D

Packing a whole pack just to be safe!!  :D 

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

Midday check-in for sanity ... ALLLL the fam has come over and my brain is going cray-cray:

Spoiler

Bed area

- Sheets and blankets

- Pillows

- Stuffed animals

- Mattress

- Bed frame

Chest and dresser

- Le casual clothes

- Perfumes

- Added two towels and two washcloths because @Shadri  :) 

- Mostly important documents, and also some snacks that no one else eats

Living room and My Spot

- Exercise bands for PT

- More books?  :) 

- Camera

- Guitar

Coat closet

- Rain jacket

- Baseball cap

Utility room

- I don't think there's anything in here I need, but I'm checking it just in case  <-- Found a pair of shoes I forgot I had stuck in there, so glad I checked!!

Balcony

- Doggo's flowerpot!!  :D 

Getting closer!!

giphy.gif 

• Like 6

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

You're doing a great job packing. I always procrastinate massively with packing.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

But yes - I am moving to Maryland! I'll be working as a science communication intern for one of the NASA centers out on the east coast!  :D

oh my gosh, you are brilliant! how exciting. SO COOL!

• Like 2

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World