• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:00 AM, raptron said:

I'd imagine your body is still definitely recovering getting in touch with all of your muscles/tendons/etc. so I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a mind-body connection issue with your pulling more than it being weight gain. Plus you've got so many things going on with the physical side of your body with surgery and med swaps and recovery and just getting back into the swing of things once more. Trustttt recovery. <3 

Well, either way, sitting around, doing nothing, and whining about it isn't going to help.  The best thing for me to do right now is focus on healthy eating and getting exercise, and I just have to trust that everything else will fall into place.

45 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Feel like I found this a little funnier than I should.

I'm impressed at the way you keep soldiering on. Or rather, keep flying (yay theme-consistent puns!)

One of my coping mechanisms is to take situations like this and turn them into a game of seeing just how blasé I can be about everything.  

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 10:47 PM, Nymeria said:

I haven't taken any parkour videos lately.  I'm sure some of it is psychological, since I feel like I've lost a lot of ground over the last few months with the parkour, whereas the silks stuff is all new, shiny things that I'm first learning how to do.  Between the loss of skills, the general low energy levels, and the gaining of 10 lbs, I feel like my parkour is incredibly meh right now.  I still have a little bit of pain in my armpits if I'm pulling out of a full dead hang, but otherwise I'm pretty much healed with everything.  There are a few other adults in my silks class.  I'm usually not even the oldest person there!  

Then it's great you have silks, it will keep your head up (blasé can work to some extent, but little shinies are still needed for comfort right?). I have had the same feeling for silks when coming back to it (loss in skills and strength, and limited way to catch up since I don't have access to classes / a proper studio). But parallettes are new to me, so every little progress is like a PR :D Now the nostalgia on silks has gone away mostly, I still get frustrated but my head space is more peaceful about it / less judgmental.

Week 3 Summary:

Eating is still just okay.  I want to do better, but it's tough to find the motivation.

Exercise is going well.  I'm still having some piriformis issues, but I'm otherwise doing a lot of yoga, walking, and swimming.  

Staying sane is going reasonably well.  I had really bad moodiness and PMS during shark week (I guess 'enhanced' by the tamoxifen), but otherwise, I've felt relatively okay.

No one showed up for parkour, so I just did the family silks class with my kids, and then the grown up class after.  At least I managed to do some cool partner silks moves with my son.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNI6Md6rnqAEEApyXY3-AQ4axwFC3PcNPF8V1NvfQxL2hIheG1akKKu04dJDGiUiQ/photo/AF1QipMB5rWQ7w6dqZu6WOoul7ohp0R7Jv27FJqeiac?key=bl8xM0lGaFZiYWUyUTVHMjg1TGRWRE9maWExclJR

Otherwise, sorry that I'm boring these days. :) 

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

No one showed up for parkour, so I just did the family silks class with my kids, and then the grown up class after.  At least I managed to do some cool partner silks moves with my son.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNI6Md6rnqAEEApyXY3-AQ4axwFC3PcNPF8V1NvfQxL2hIheG1akKKu04dJDGiUiQ/photo/AF1QipMB5rWQ7w6dqZu6WOoul7ohp0R7Jv27FJqeiac?key=bl8xM0lGaFZiYWUyUTVHMjg1TGRWRE9maWExclJR

That's absolutely brilliant!!!

6 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Image result for say what gif?

6 hours ago, Nymeria said:

This is the opposite of boring.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, Nymeria said:

This is amazing!!

Still here.  Parkour was okay, and silks was good.  I really struggled with even doing a pull up off of the ground at parkour. :(  But then in silks, I managed to successfully do some inversions in the air.  It's harder than you might think to get upside down when you're already hanging and can't kick over from the ground.  This sequence is pretty basic, but here is a simple wrist lock sequence from class:

I'm trying not to stress about the pull up woes.  I'm sure it's at least partway from my weight gain and partway because I'm just not quite recruiting my shoulder muscles properly after the surgery.  

The very brief challenge wrap up:

Eating better and moving more:  Check.  But, if anything, I'm still slightly gaining weight. :(  It's possible that it's a direct result of the meds I'm on, and I'm going to have to just live with carrying a bit more weight.  But, just to cover all of the bases, I'm going to try being much stricter with my diet for the next month.  

I'll also admit that the cancer diagnosis has made my husband and I drink way too much alcohol over the last 2-3 months.  The booze is probably the main contributor to the weight gain, and we have decided that we're going to take a dry July

I also want to make sure that I at the very least halt my weight gain, even if I don't end up losing any weight.  Ugh.  I'm frustrated that the extra weight is making me struggle with parkour.  If I make an honest effort, but still can't lose it, I'll just have to focus on becoming stronger.  

Managing the meds, hormones, and moods:  Pretty good.  I'm surprised by how relatively unaffected I've been.  

I still haven't decided whether I'm going to do the next challenge or take a break.  I'll be here for most of the first week,, then I'll be on vacation for a couple weeks, and after that, I'll be starting radiation.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Nymeria said:

It's harder than you might think to get upside down when you're already hanging and can't kick over from the ground.  This sequence is pretty basic, but here is a simple wrist lock sequence from class:

Looks amazing. Yeah, I've tried it with the rings and it is super hard. I've been working on a move that had me do that for several weeks, and just this week managed to do it once

• Like 1

You are so not boring!!! 

Your radiation corresponds with my friends radiation.  So we can compare notes.  Dry vacation?  Sounds harder than it should be, but it will save you money!  

Sending you love and positive vibes!!!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nymeria said:

I also want to make sure that I at the very least halt my weight gain, even if I don't end up losing any weight.  Ugh.  I'm frustrated that the extra weight is making me struggle with parkour.  If I make an honest effort, but still can't lose it, I'll just have to focus on becoming stronger.  

I bet it will go down at least part way. Your body has needed to make a lot of adjustments.

@Tanktimus the Encourager  Could you move this over to the current challenges?   :)

More updates:  I actually hit the gym on Wednesday for more parkour and silks.  In the silks class, I even learned a few new moves!  

I leave in 10 minutes for my radiation simulation appointment.  It's the one where they scan and measure everything, so they can program the machine to radiate all of the right areas.  The whole thing will take more than an hour.  I'm really not looking forward to any of it.   After vacation, I should have about 6 weeks of radiation, but it's possible that it will only be 4.  I'm hoping to be able to stick with my normal activities for at least the first 3 weeks.  After that, my skin may be in too bad of shape to do anything.  It will be what it will be.  

• Like 3

It was a bit awkward.  I had to practice holding my breath, and I had to go through a bunch of scans.  At the end, they did two small tattoos, so they can make sure I'm lined up properly with the machine for the radiation sessions.  The tricky part for me is that since the cancer was on the left side, they have to be careful about keeping the heart out of the radiation field.  Thanks to the damn tattoos, I'm not allowed to go swimming today.  :(   After my vacation, I'll have to do 25 days of radiation (every weekday for 5 weeks).  But at least after that, I'll be finished with active treatment.  

• Like 4

The "new" challenge plan is to do more of the same:  Eat less, eat better, move my body more, and stay sane-ish.  The first 1.5 weeks of the challenge, I'll be on vacation.  The goal there will be to rack up miles walked, and be reasonably healthy with all of the eating out.  The next 2.5 weeks will involve radiation.  As much as is possible, I'll try to stick with parkour, silks, yoga, lifting, and walking.  If exercise ends up not fully being possible, I'll just do what I can.  

I'm going to give myself 2-3 drinks while on vacation, but otherwise, I'm planning on doing a dry July.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

But at least after that, I'll be finished with active treatment.

That's great news. The way this years been breezing through, you'll be done in no time. I'll do my best to keep your spirits lifted in the mean time.

Image result for i'm here for you gif

24 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

If exercise ends up not fully being possible, I'll just do what I can

I remember when I broke my shoulder, you told me to concentrate on what I could do and that helped me out immensely. I'm glad you're adopting the same mindset. We love you!! You got this! <3

Wolf

• Haha 1

Radiation sounds like no fun. Hopefully it will be short and you can keep doing all the stuff that is fun. I hope you have an amazing vacation.  Concentrate on the fall, and how with the weight you've lost, you are going to work on getting back your pull up power and giving us cool parkour and silk videos

can you listen to music or something during the radiation?

I hope you really enjoy the vacation!