[SymphonicDan] does ML and muscle-ups in Montenegro [Level 24]

Hey, I'm Daniel and if you haven't followed me before, my standard intro is in the spoiler:

Spoiler

I'm a 27-year-old guy from the UK, currently travelling. My story since starting at NF is:

• Jan 2014: joined the forums and planned to learn backflips outdoors by February. Hahaha that did not happen, but gymnastics and weightlifting happened lots
  • Jul 2014: reached 10 seconds for handstands and recorded my progress [video]
  • Oct 2014: bought gymnastics rings and went through a phase of training lots with these
  • Aug 2015: reached so far my peak in gymnastics and made a compilation [video] in the Summer
  • Aug 2015: moved house and got lazy :( Challenged with the Warriors and I don't think I even made it to a gym haha
  • Jan 2016: decided that I needed more excitement and that in 2016 I was going to get it
  • Aug 2016: quit my job and backpacked around Slovenia and Eastern Europe
  • Sep 2016: competed in the Mental Calculation World Cup in Germany
  • Oct 2016: studied Spanish in a language school in Valencia
  • Nov 2016: competed at Memoriad in Las Vegas. Flew to Nicaragua to volunteer as a volcano tour guide at QuetzalTrekkers for 3 months, taking tourists camping and volcano boarding
  • Feb 2017: backpacked around Nicaragua and Guatemala - both really nice destinations
  • May 2017: spent a month in Barcelona learning more Latin dancing and learning to how to create websites - currently working on HyperBirthday
  • Jul 2017: volunteered as an Engineering tutor in a Summer School in Oxford
  • Aug 2017: competed in the Mind Sports Olympiad in London
  • September 2017: 13-day transatlantic cruise with Nomad Cruise to Panama, with talks and workshops on everything from marketing to acro-yoga, and from hypnotism to software development
  • October 2017: backpacking in Panama and Costa Rica... hitch-hiking, dolphins, uninhabited jungle islands and 2-kilometre ziplines...

• Nov-Dec 2017: volunteering as tour guide (again) in Nicaragua

• Jan-April 2018: backpacking in Colombia... cycling in deserts, hiking on the altiplano, scuba diving and whitewater rafting...

• February 2018: volunteering as a Spanish-English interpreter for a tour company in the Colombian Amazon

My newest destination in my nomadic life is Montenegro, the beautiful ex-Yugoslav country of 620,000 people. Picture in the spoiler of the area I'm staying :D

Spoiler

1200px-1_kotor_montenegro_panorama_2016.

My plan while I'm here is to do two things:

Goal #1: productive routine: some of the 16 days I'll be on day trips to other places, but I need 12 days where I do all of the following:

• Wim Hof breathing (5 minutes of total retention minimum)
  • cold shower (okay it's boiling here so it barely counts)
  • 2MP of fitness training (those are Mad Hatter points, and 2 means a moderate workout and 3 are a serious workout)
  • actually 3 MP of fitness training
  • 3 hours of focused work on the Machine learning project
  • actually 5 hours of focused work
  • 4 portions of fruit/veg

So most of this challenge will be over by 9th June! So compact :o For every day where I do all of that  I get 0.50 points. If I have a day where I do only 5 of those 7 things I can get 0.25 points. Max points: 6.00

Goal #2: achieve great things: setting some goals...

• finally do a muscle-up (I've been trying for years!) (1.00 points)
  • run a mile in 05:50 / 05:42 / 05:35 / 05:30 (previous record 05:56) (0.25 / 0.50 / 0.75 / 1.00 points)
  • do a set of 40 push-ups (not during Wim Hof retention) (0.50 points)
  • find more paid remote software work (0.50 points)
  • submit a solution with a score of 0.700 / 0.780 / 0.790 / 0.800 in the Kaggle competition (0.25 / 0.50 / 0.75 / 1.00 points)
  • half-write / completely write a Coding course for my summer school (0.25 / 0.50 points)

Lots of this is very ambitious, but that seems fair for a shorter challenge like this. There are 4.50 points available so I can get the maximum score without doing everything. Max points: 4.00

Good luck everyone :) I start tomorrow.

CHALLENGE TRACK (updated end of June 4th)

productive:

• day   1: 1/7 => -
  • day   2: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day   3: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day   4: 5/7 => 0.25 points
  • day   5: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day   6: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day   7: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day   8: 3/7 => -
  • day   9: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day 10: 5/7 => 0.25 points
  • day 11: 5/7 => 0.25 points
  • day 12: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day 13: 7/7 => 0.50 points
  • day 14: 3/7 => -
  • day 15: 4/7 => -
  • day 16: 7/7 => 0.50 points

achievements:

• score greater than 0.700 in Kaggle competition => 0.25 points
  • ran a mile in 5:50 (o.e.) => 0.25 points
  • planned half the Coding course => 0.25 points
  • did a bar muscle-up => 1.00 points

total: 7.00 points

• Like 4

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Following again!

7 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

learn enough Machine Learning techniques to get a respectable performance in a data science competition hosted by Kaggle.com

Interesting! But the final score is computed on a run over a hidden evaluation set right? Not on the development test set that they give you? That sounds a bit weird, or I missed something possibly?

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

33 minutes ago, @mu said:

Interesting! But the final score is computed on a run over a hidden evaluation set right? Not on the development test set that they give you? That sounds a bit weird, or I missed something possibly?

Ha ha yes I got it /facepalm. I assumed the test set was for development testing. So I also assumed that it had the outcomes, obviously in that case it should not. Sorry about that, please ignore :D

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

THAT IS SO PRETTY, GOSH!

Ambitious, but I like it. :) 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 5/24/2018 at 9:17 AM, @mu said:

On 5/24/2018 at 9:59 AM, @mu said:

Ha ha yes I got it /facepalm. I assumed the test set was for development testing. So I also assumed that it had the outcomes, obviously in that case it should not. Sorry about that, please ignore :D

You had a good point originally! There's a load of data for training (which has the answers) and more for testing (which doesn't have the answers), but there would still be the problem that you could over-fit to the testing data (you can make up to 500 submissions in theory during the challenge as the limit is 5/day, and you get an updated score each time). So for this reason there is a public leaderboard, evaluated on some of the training data, and a private leaderboard (where you don't see the scores, but which determines the winners) based on the remainder of the training data.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Hope you can nail that elusive muscle up!

Thanks! It's been a long time waiting!

On 5/24/2018 at 2:15 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Admit it, you just got disappointed by your A- in the previous challenge, clearly it was too easy. :P 

Where are you looking for remote work and what kind of work?

Pahaha yes okay, I'm used to getting grade C on my normal challenges :P

II haven't really proactively looked for remote work (which might explain my lack of success haha) but it would almost certainly be based around software engineering. Ideally I'd have something with flexible working hours and flexible workloads and interesting well-paid work, but I know you can't have everything ;) You're in the industry so if you stumble upon anything suitable, let me know!

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Sooo, a mixed start to the challenge!

Day 1: very ill with food poisoning. Did almost to work. Did not have a cold shower. Eventually dined on pasta with tomato. Did not do any exercise. Did not break the land speed record during any runs :(

However in the evening I did a couple of rounds of Wim Hof breathing and had a talk in Spanish with a girl I met in Nicaragua and afterwards felt completely better :D Maybe it was just the time had passed and I'd done enough sleeping during the day, or maybe the breathing did really help overcome the infection!?

Day 2: totally fine, and did everything on my list:

• Wim Hof breathing and cold shower were as normal
  • 5 hours of software work where I submitted a random answer and currently sit at 843rd/843 on the public leaderboard :P Also set up some of the Python packages I need and reviewed the data, so I'm confident I should make good progress these next days :D
  • tried my AMRAP push-ups for the first time in ages: 25. I'll just do AMRAP push-ups a couple of times every day as that is a straightforward way to push my numbers back up.
  • went for a moderate run with lots of fast intervals along the shoreline towards Kotor. Speed and endurance were good, but my right calf started to feel the strain so I eased up.
  • did 4 sets of 5 high pull-ups at the local pull-up bar, and a couple of other muscle-up exercises. Everything was feeling good :)
  • 4 of my 5-a-day: tomato, mixed "multivitamin" unsweetened fruit juice, spinach and plenty of salad.

Day 3: went for a walk to the old town of Kotor, watching the cruise ship tourists and the views. There's a fortress "45-60 minutes' climb" up from the old town, so obviously I saw that as a challenge :P From the entrance to the very top of the fortress took 14:15. I'm used to running up stuff now, but one thing that surprised me is that although it was hard work marching up, after I arrived the recovery took about 20 seconds, when usually it would take minutes. Again, not sure whether that's from the increased fitness these months, or from the breathing. Both are reasonable guesses, but I find it impossible to compare the magnitudes of their effects.

It's still partway through day 3, so I'm about to have my cold shower and begin work!

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

3 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

II haven't really proactively looked for remote work (which might explain my lack of success haha) but it would almost certainly be based around software engineering. Ideally I'd have something with flexible working hours and flexible workloads and interesting well-paid work, but I know you can't have everything ;) You're in the industry so if you stumble upon anything suitable, let me know!

Well I'm sort of casually looking for a job myself, turns out it's pretty hard to tick all boxes. I've been struggling to even tick the interesting work box. :( What kind of software engineering are you interested in/do you have experience with?

Sorry about the food poisoning, that really sucks! But very impressive fortress run thing!

14 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Maybe it was just the time had passed and I'd done enough sleeping during the day, or maybe the breathing did really help overcome the infection!?

Or maybe it was the nice chat with the girl from Nicaragua :P 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 5/27/2018 at 1:34 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this!

On 5/26/2018 at 10:40 AM, SymphonicDan said:

Day 3: went for a walk to the old town of Kotor, watching the cruise ship tourists and the views. There's a fortress "45-60 minutes' climb" up from the old town, so obviously I saw that as a challenge :P From the entrance to the very top of the fortress took 14:15. I'm used to running up stuff now, but one thing that surprised me is that although it was hard work marching up, after I arrived the recovery took about 20 seconds, when usually it would take minutes. Again, not sure whether that's from the increased fitness these months, or from the breathing. Both are reasonable guesses, but I find it impossible to compare the magnitudes of their effects.

Either way, that's awesome to feel such a fitness improvement!!

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Do you do russian dips much to work on your MU progressions? I hadn't really paid attention to them as a progression, but they look like they'd be really helpful! 

Also, dang, you're so quick. :D 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Ahh so much time without an update and it's only week 1! Still things are going well :)

On 5/26/2018 at 8:22 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Well I'm sort of casually looking for a job myself, turns out it's pretty hard to tick all boxes. I've been struggling to even tick the interesting work box. :( What kind of software engineering are you interested in/do you have experience with?

Well you're one stage ahead of me - I'm stuck at the "contemplating the idea of having a job" stage :P  I did some non-ML NLP mainly involving , creating a large C++ application, and a bunch of random stuff in Python, I made a couple of basic websites, and now working on some Machine Learning. So pretty open to anything technology-wise!

On 5/27/2018 at 8:34 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Haha for sure ;)

On 5/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, raptron said:

Do you do russian dips much to work on your MU progressions? I hadn't really paid attention to them as a progression, but they look like they'd be really helpful!

I think I tried them once and I couldn't do them? Although actually in Barcelona the dip bars were so far apart I couldn't get my elbows resting on them properly. But thanks for reminding me, I'll do them next time I'm at the workout park, because they have some narrow dip bars and I'm sure they would be useful!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

So lots of things to update on!

Goal #1: productive routine: I've managed to keep the routine perfectly so far, except for the day I was ill (obviously) and one day when I forewent exercise so I could recover well. Even the days when we went on trips to Kotor, Tivat etc. I've managed to do everything, so I'm happy with that :D

1-mile run: I timed myself on a 1-mile stretch of the coastal road on Tuesday, after meticulously measuring it on Google Maps, along with landmarks at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of the way so I could monitor my progress. I also tried some Wim Hof-style power breaths before the run and paid attention to my breathing during the run. The result? 5:39 mile :o That's a lot faster than I had been expecting, and makes me more confident that my goal of dropping my mile time to about 5:30 might actually be feasible.

Push-ups: less progress here... I never seem to get out of the 20-25 rep range (and so yes, I get more, 26-27, when holding my breath during the Wim Hof breathing exercise). Not sure really why I'm not getting improvements here.

Machine Learning competition: currently have a score of 0.763, compared to the median of 0.771 and a top score of 0.800. Many of the people above me will have wholesale copied one of the existing good solutions, and I still have lots of material I could copy but haven't yet, so it seems reasonable I can break into the top 50% soon and potentially a lot higher. It's a weird competition because some people post public solutions for others to copy, so to do very well you need to steal the ideas those people share, and add your own improvements.

Wim Hof ice bucket: yesterday I had some bike oil on my hands from fixing the bike I hired to cycle to Tivat (to look at all the rich people's yachts haha) so washed my hands in the moat at Kotor, which was somehow really really cold (can't guess a temperature, maybe 10'C). What surprised me is that a few minutes after putting my hands in (30 seconds exposure) my hands became really warm. Has anyone else experienced this, or know why? I expected the cold to cause vasoconstriction and therefore they would stay cold, but apparently not!

Wim Hof app: I just tried to download it, just to see, but apparently it's not available in Montenegro!? I'm sure it was available in the UK...

Other training: did some circuits a few days ago, mainly focusing on core exercises, and I still have DOMS from that today :P I've been doing some high pull-ups every time I go past the workout park in the hope it helps me with my muscle-up. Generally I'll do a few sets of 5 hands-to-shoulders or chest-to-bar pull-ups, which is quite manageable now.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

12 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

Wim Hof ice bucket: yesterday I had some bike oil on my hands from fixing the bike I hired to cycle to Tivat (to look at all the rich people's yachts haha) so washed my hands in the moat at Kotor, which was somehow really really cold (can't guess a temperature, maybe 10'C). What surprised me is that a few minutes after putting my hands in (30 seconds exposure) my hands became really warm. Has anyone else experienced this, or know why? I expected the cold to cause vasoconstriction and therefore they would stay cold, but apparently not!

Yeah it's called the Lewis/hunting reaction, I came across it when I researched pulley injuries a while back. :)

http://onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.com/2010/05/pulley-injuries-article.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunting_reaction

• Like 3
On 5/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, raptron said:

Update: still far from possible :( I wonder whether that means I'm still much further away from the muscle-up than I thought, or whether the Russian dip is just difficult.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

6 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Update: still far from possible :( I wonder whether that means I'm still much further away from the muscle-up than I thought, or whether the Russian dip is just difficult.

I cannot even come close to doing a Russian dip either.  However, having looked very closely at all of the components of the muscle up, I don't think being able to Russian dip is that important unless you want to be doing advanced, slow-mo clean muscle ups

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

18 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I cannot even come close to doing a Russian dip either.  However, having looked very closely at all of the components of the muscle up, I don't think being able to Russian dip is that important unless you want to be doing advanced, slow-mo clean muscle ups

That makes sense. I hope :P My thoughts now are that I should primarily train for super high explosive pull-ups, and study what body position I'd want at the top of the motion to make the transition easiest. I'll train baby muscle-ups on the 2m-high bar to drill the transition phase too but I don't think they'll be as important.

Yesterday: was a tired and unproductive day, but I have 4 days this challenge where I'm allowed to neglect challenge goals and decided this would be one of those days, for admin and resting. I think my body was tired from the walking and cycling and swimming etc. the day before.

Today: another day checking off all the goals, yay :) I haven't been discussing metrics in the updates, but I've already got:

• routine points: 3.25 (challenge maximum will be 6.00)
  • achievement points: 0.75 (challenge maximum will be 4.00)

So I'm looking at about 6.75 total for the whole challenge at this rate, which given the difficulty I'll be content with.

For training today I did a 4x400m relay. My travelling friend joined me for a mile run, but I did it as 4 fast intervals, and could only rest until he caught up with me each time. Also played around with high pull-ups and AMRAP push-ups. Nothing special but pushing in the right direction.

For the machine learning competition, progress has plateaued for now... I've had a score of about 0.763 for a few days and none of the little optimizations I'm trying are giving me the boost I expected. Luckily there are some other big ideas I can implement that should push me much higher, but it would be nice to understand why my work today gave me negligible improvements.

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Yesterday was a pretty successful day! In the morning I started planning the Coding course that I'll be teaching, and it actually won't take much longer to finish. I did my usual routine of 4 fruit/vegcold shower & WH breathingpush-ups & pull-ups and 5 hours of work on the Kaggle data science competition.

However I was most excited by my fresh attempt at the 1-mile run where I finally hit 5:30 :D I actually felt very good afterwards, like the stress of the run improved my condition.

So now I need a new running challenge... maybe 800 metres in 2:20? 400m in 1:00? Something with the 5k but I always find those so painful :o

On the other hand, still no progress with push-ups (25) or muscle-ups. The high pull-ups are getting easier but not necessarily any better/higher...

• Like 2

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin