Chris-Tien Turns Over (Infinity) Stones

anigif_sub-buzz-8050-1526061423-18.gif?d

Ok, seriously.  If you haven't seen Avengers: Infinity War and you don't like spoilers .......  move along ....

6DYjkGK.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Ok, you're still here ..... 

This challenge, I'm going to keep some things that have been working and spend four weeks exploring around and trying out new types of workouts and tools to help me get a handle on how to improve my health.  And - if I'm being honest with myself - lose fat. 

I didn't intend to make an Avengers: Infinity War challenge, but as I started writing down the overall categories for ideas, I realized that they fell into the realms of the Stone's powers. So, we're going with it.  

The "turning over stones" concept of exploring options came from @Xena, Thomas Edison, and Dr. Strange.  Xena pointed out that I haven't failed to find a strength workout that I can stick with .... I just haven't succeeded yet.  And since I'm not dead as of this moment, I still have opportunities to find one (or more) workouts that I might enjoy long term. Thomas Edison only needed one solution to the problem of creating a light bulb.  And Dr. Strange was able to foresee that there was one (out of more than 14 million options) that would take down Thanos.  So, embracing their persistence, I'm going to try things .... especially in the Power Stone category.  

Overview:

• Soul Stone:  Zombies, Run! - Do all of Season 4 

• Power Stone:  Explore strength training options

• Time Stone:  summer adventures - things I wished I could have done as a kid or would like to do (possibly with grandkids) - do 4 things and identify as many as possible

• Space Stone: Finalize apartment & moving details

• Mind Stone:  Intuitive eating progress

• Reality Stone: Affirmations daily …. Exploration: how do you change reality????

• Like 5

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Following along for your infinity stoned challenge.

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oooh I love Zombies Run!

It's really immersive and addicting.  I took a break from it because mobile phones got so big ...

0011522968.x70825.jpg

(and mine is in a protective case because life happens), and it really doesn't go well on outdoor runs.  But I can use it when I run on a treadmill.  And since allergy season is upon us in a big way (I've never had symptoms so bad), I'm a running inside for a while.  

Soul Stone

I finished off season 3 of Zombies, Run! And at some point, I bought season 4 and forgot about it .... or they are releasing old seasons for free.  At any rate, tomorrow's run is tee'd up and ready to go.  

Power Stone

I didn't do any particular workout or training today.  Turning over ideas in my head, and looking at the weather predictions for tomorrow.  It sounds like the thunderstorms will continue; so no gardening.  I am definitely NOT going to try that PiYo class again.  Hum ....  

Time Stone

I'll probably do some exposition on this goal later in the challenge.  The short version is that I realized last week (as we were debating whether or not to go to the Twins game at Target Field) that there were a lot of things that I had wanted to do as a kid ... but family finances and situation were such that I didn't get to go. One of those was to go to a Twins game --- in person. 

Tuesday night's game was a Star Wars themed event with a special edition t-shirt.  And since one of hubby's Rotary club members works at Target Field, the club not only got great seats but also got a tour of the stadium before the gates opened.  So, Star Wars fan here really wanted to go.  For a while, it looked like this was going to be yet another thing that was going to be offered and then taken away because it just "wasn't practical" for us to go.  But I said that I really wanted to go, and conflicts cleared.  So, I got to go, got my t-shirt, and got a picture with a Storm Trooper.

33248908_10211824569401860_5494336754494

So, there's one item identified and achieved!!!

Space Stone

Eeeee gods!!  I'm looking forward to the new job, but I am not loving the challenges of moving.  We have an application in at the best apartment complex in town and are waiting to hear if we are approved.  But we sent the deposit check, and the manager said she is holding the apartment for us.  I just hate being in an undetermined state.

Plus .... the Dean's Office seems to have misplaced the signed contract that I mailed back to them in April.  And that they confirmed that they had gotten.  Some days, you just wanna smash something. 

Hulk-Smash-Puny-Demi-God-Loki-In-The-Ave

Mind Stone

Probably more exposition will go along with this goal of working towards Intuitive - yet healthy - Eating.  I did well today!!!!  And that's probably enough to celebrate and just leave for the moment.  

Reality Stone

I did my affirmations in the morning. My ongoing goal here is to explore how to make helpful changes and how to focus - gently - on doing the right things.  Part of my rejection of diets - and many workout plans - is that they can become all-consuming.  I just want to get back to the lifestyle that was both natural and healthy.  

• Like 7

Some sort of Jedi .....

1 hour ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Tuesday night's game was a Star Wars themed event with a special edition t-shirt.  And since one of hubby's Rotary club members works at Target Field, the club not only got great seats but also got a tour of the stadium before the gates opened.  So, Star Wars fan here really wanted to go.  For a while, it looked like this was going to be yet another thing that was going to be offered and then taken away because it just "wasn't practical" for us to go.  But I said that I really wanted to go, and conflicts cleared.  So, I got to go, got my t-shirt, and got a picture with a Storm Trooper.

33248908_10211824569401860_5494336754494

@EricMN was there as well.

Plus .... the Dean's Office seems to have misplaced the signed contract that I mailed back to them in April.  And that they confirmed that they had gotten.  Some days, you just wanna smash something. 

That's when you tell them the contract was for more money and less work.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yay for infinity stones.Double yay for baseball  + Star Wars

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 5/25/2018 at 4:30 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

So, I got to go, got my t-shirt, and got a picture with a Storm Trooper.

Woot! Woot! Good for you!

We haven't seen the movie, as we are (as usual) waiting for the dvd to come out. Which will take about 6 months, by then I'd have forgotten what you said in this thread, so I'm not worried. :D The boys would love a photo like that! Rocco would most probably wear that Jedi costume I made him a while ago for his birthday.

On 5/25/2018 at 6:05 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's when you tell them the contract was for more money and less work.

:D:D

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Stormie Omartian

"A wife's prayers for her husband has a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's."

On 5/25/2018 at 11:14 AM, EricMN said:

That's awesome! I got a similar photo:

Hide contents

20180522_StarWarsNight.jpg

Different guy. Mine was a little short for a Stormtrooper...

I wish one of you had accidentally photobombed the other :-)

C-T J I'm also a big Zombies Run fan :-)  

Cool that you are still searching for a motivating strength workout. Me too sort of....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 5/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Rocco would most probably wear that Jedi costume I made him a while ago for his birthday.

There were kids there, dressed up in SW costumes.  Great to see the next generation of nerds come out to a ball game!!  Despite the heat and humidity, I think we are going to go to a club team game this afternoon.  The Northfield Knights are a collection of college players who get together to play for the summer .... good ol' fashioned amateur baseball.  I'd kinda forgotten how much I enjoyed playing softball and watching baseball.  (Our daughter played soccer and hockey, which explains where my summers and winters went for about 10 years ....)

Today, we scrambled home after church in order to get a little bit of yardwork done before the heat of the day it.  It's a hot and humid Memorial Day weekend!!!

Since I'll be living in my apartment in August, I'm focusing on planting things that hubby can remember to water (on the back deck ... in pots) or that can fend for itself once established.  So, we have tomatoes, strawberries, and basil in pots.  I may still get some more raspberry plants for one corner of the yard (we have strawberries, blueberries and raspberries there now ...), but I'm working really hard at restraining myself this year.  

I have a few herbs and flowers in pots that are going to go down to Iowa with me.  Still haven't heard about the apartment. 

17 hours ago, Xena said:

still searching for a motivating strength workout. Me too sort of....

I actually enjoy group exercise more than solo workouts .... other than running.    This week, I think I'll get to yoga classes at the YMCA.  Long term .... my daughter likes rock climbing.  I'm not a big fan of heights, but I can belay her and do a little climbing .... not far off the ground .....

On 5/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

as we are (as usual) waiting for the dvd to come out. Which will take about 6 months, by then I'd have forgotten what you said in this thread, so I'm not worried.

I probably won't give anything away that isn't all over the internet anyway.  Alot of the stones were introduced in other movies - their significance comes clear(er) in Infinity Wars.

While thinking about this challenge, I had the chilling realization that I often eat in order to make SOMEONE ELSE HAPPY, even if I don't want to eat, am not hungry, or don't really like the food being pushed on me.    The incident that brought this up was innocent enough.  Hubby had stopped at the grocery store to purchase stuff we needed, and he decided he wanted some frozen yogurt for himself.  And, being a nice hubby, he bought me some luscious chocolate and peanut butter ice cream (Ben and Jerry's no less).  Fine so far.    It sounded good, and I did have some for an evening snack.  What got my attention was a chance comment he made after we were done .... that he would have been disappointed if I hadn't had some ice cream when he brought it home.  

Which reminded me of all too many times when it's been made clear to me that rejecting food is equated with rejecting the person offering it.  My mother-in-law was AWFUL with this - pushing snacks, especially sweets, on me whenever we saw her.  No surprise, hubby often does this too, although I've been working on getting him to understand that food and love are not equated.  

So, the Mind Stone part of the challenge is to work on learning to know what I really want regarding food.  The boundaries between me and hubby are sometimes not solid, and I sometimes feel like one of Loki's scepter minions .... eating because someone else wants me too.  

3bc9c7c88ced3b1d0f052be97c9b05d1.jpg

• Like 6

Some sort of Jedi .....

I appreciate you writing out your thoughts for why you eat. It is very helpful. My husband doesn't do the "if you don't eat this, I'll be sad " thing, but other people do. It can be really tough.

• Like 3

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I appreciate you writing out your thoughts for why you eat. It is very helpful. My husband doesn't do the "if you don't eat this, I'll be sad " thing, but other people do. It can be really tough.

Me too. My husband neither, other people too. My mil also played the "but you have to eat it, I bought it especially for you" card, but over the years, especially with the boys having had such bad reactions to gluten at one stage, she has tamed that down a bit. She has changed it to "you don't have to eat everything right now", which is a little better.

• Like 2

Stormie Omartian

"A wife's prayers for her husband has a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's."

Week 1 Day 1 (May 27th)

Reality Stone:

Nope .... didn't do affirmations. :blue:  Silly, because this is the easiest to get done in a few minutes.

Soul Stone:

2/40 Season 4 missions.  I walked it, in deference to the heat and humidity.  

Mind Stone:

Thinking about eating, emotions, social connections to food, power dynamics and food, family relationships and food, and the often fact that I am often oddly conflicted in my own mind about if I need to eat and what I want to eat .... it's been enlightening to read Intuitive Eating and then to start thinking about my past, present and future as a being that needs to eat (and often enjoys it).    Right now, my biggest challenge is to know what I want .... as opposed to what hubby wants me to want.  And then to follow through on that knowledge.

I think I did well this day.  Since the weather has turned suddenly hot and humid, we skipped "coffee" hour at church in order to get yard work done before being outside got too uncomfortable.    I had a lighter sandwich when we went out for lunch - and no French fries.  When hubby wanted a beer, I said I was fine with my ice water - and he respected that.  At dinner, I ate my cheeseburger and salad.    For "dessert" I wanted a little glass of port.  

Although, I did have to ask hubby to cook my burger a couple of minutes more next time he grills.  Honestly, I asked with a bit of trepidation.  Because .... it is always NOT about the food.  And I realize that criticism about what is served is one of those hot buttons for both of us.  He was, at first, a bit offended and suggested that if I didn't like it, I should microwave the burger (which already had all of the cheese and fixings on ... so it really won't work to cook it more at that point).  And I explained that I wasn't being critical of his skills ..... just pointing out that I like mine cooked a bit more than he does, and if he put mine on first for a couple of minutes and then did his, I'd enjoy it more.  (He then admitted that his was undercooked too ....)  :confused:

This whole Intuitive Eating thing has just opened a whole set of cans of worms.  Too many dysfunctional aspects of my life are caught up with eating.  

Time Stone:

The introspection over food has probably helped me get in touch again with my past .... in a good way.  Or at least in a healing way.  As I mentioned, I remembered how much I like watching baseball.  So, yesterday afternoon, we watched a local game .... in the shade .... with tons of ice water.  Fun.  

Space Stone:

No progress on the apartment, I'm afraid.

Power Stone:

Gardening!!

• Like 7

Some sort of Jedi .....

29 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

This whole Intuitive Eating thing has just opened a whole set of cans of worms.  Too many dysfunctional aspects of my life are caught up with eating.  

I think you'll come out of it glad to have worked through some of them. The story about the burger is pretty awesome. It was a kind of rough conversation, but it's probably good to work through small problems like that so you can better handle the bigger ones. Or something like that. I live with a cat...what do I know?!   ;-)

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Week 1 Day 2 (May 28th) --- Memorial Day Holiday in the USA

Reality Stone:

Ha!!! I did my affirmations while drinking coffee out on the back deck.  It was already a sticky, hot morning - so the coffee was iced. 

Soul Stone:

4/40 Season 4 missions.  Somehow, I did one more than I thought I had .....  Again, I walked it because I didn't want to go to the gym to run on the treadmill, but the weather was challenging.  Plus, allergies ....

Nose%20Wont%20Stop%20Running.jpg 

Mind Stone:

Today was a good day.  It was a holiday; and I allowed myself to have some ice cream after supper.  But I think I respected my hunger --- my biological hunger in the form of a slightly growly stomach --- and I didn't overeat.  On a holiday, that is a major win.

Time Stone:

Memorial Day weekend became a challenge for me as I grew up.  My dad and brother would go fishing while Mom and I didn't really do anything special.  So, this time, I focused on doing both work and fun things:

1) big projects that really were better done with two people ... gardening and weeding.

2) we gave up and bought a gas lawn mower since the electric cord for the old mower was difficult to manage (for hubby)

3) we went to a baseball game and even went to see the new "block buster movie"  ..... Solo.  (It was good, although the ending had me confused for a bit)

4) hubby astonished me by fixing two windows and a leaky facet!!!!  (I'm trying to find evidence that he's really a pod person)

Space Stone:

No progress on the apartment, I'm afraid.

Power Stone:

Archery practice.  Hubby and I went and shot 4 rounds of 10 arrows each.  At 20 yards, we did ok, but I wasn't keeping score.  We're still shooting archery kinda like some people play golf.  If I leave with the same number of arrows as I had at the start - I win.  

• Like 5

Some sort of Jedi .....

2 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

If I leave with the same number of arrows as I had at the start - I win.

Especially if you've enjoyed shooting those arrows off, then finding all of them again, it is a good win! :D

3 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I focused on doing both work and fun things:

That's a lot of work! Nicely done. Set your own traditions now, or not, as it is your choice. What will make you happy?

I didn't know there was such a thing as a gas mower.... Oh wait, do you mean gas as in petrol? Not gas as in gas LPD kind. Silly me :P Happy mowing!

• Like 1

Stormie Omartian

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I saw Solo this weekend too. I didn't love it, but it was fun to watch.

Yea, it was definitely in the category of "good but not great" ..... but I think many of the other recent SW movies have been trying just too hard.  

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

May 29 (W1D3)

Reality Stone:

Did affirmations (2/28).

Soul Stone:

5/40 Season 4 missions.  I got out early in the morning for a long walk.  I put on sunscreen, took a bottle of ice water, and wore a hat.  By the time I got home (52 minutes later), I was sunburned and had lukewarm water.  By afternoon, a thunderstorm rolled in and dropped the temperature substantially.  So I might get in a long walk before the next round of storms hit during mid-morning today (May 30th)

Mind Stone:

I listened to my hunger at breakfast --- and had a bratwurst instead of traditional American breakfast foods ... or even my usual eggs.  I obviously needed protein.   

Lunch:  turkey, provolone and BASIL on a bagel.  Plus a nectarine.  That was surprisingly awesome --- the basil is from our garden.

Snack:  corn chips - I think I needed the salt because I was craving them.

Dinner: chef salad

A very reasonable day ... and I still "gained" 0.6 pounds according to the scale.  Yes, I am weighing myself again as a sort of security blanket.  I don't mind the fluctuations, but I AM trying to get the average to creep down.  

Time Stone:

No particular summer adventuring.  It was damn hot.  I turned the air conditioner on at 10 am.  

Space Stone:

Hubby got hold of the apartment manager who confirmed that we are approved to rent.  So, there's progress.  But I'm still having trouble coping with the casual attitude.  We haven't gotten confirmation that we can LOOK at the place before we sign the lease.  Or have a move-in date.  Or know what utilities we need to put in our names.  *Sigh*

Power Stone:

Nothing on this day.  (2/28) 

• Like 5

Some sort of Jedi .....

By the time I got home (52 minutes later), I was sunburned and had lukewarm water.

I heard it was so hot there! Hope the sunburn isn't too bad.

Hubby got hold of the apartment manager who confirmed that we are approved to rent.  So, there's progress.  But I'm still having trouble coping with the casual attitude.  We haven't gotten confirmation that we can LOOK at the place before we sign the lease.  Or have a move-in date.  Or know what utilities we need to put in our names.  *Sigh*

Oh this is very frustrating! Maybe if you could get hold of the manager again and made a definite date to go up there, then you'll be able to discuss all of the rest in person?

Stormie Omartian

May 30 (W1D4)

Reality Stone:

Did affirmations (3/28).  

Soul Stone:

6/40 Season 4 missions.   I walked part of it in the morning and then ---- when I ran into problems in trying to connect to the servers at work --- took time off to go RUN in the afternoon. 

Mind Stone:

It was an oddly snacky day.  I was really hungry for breakfast and had a cinnamon-raisin bagel (with strawberry cream cheese) for breakfast.  That didn't hold me long, and I had 1/2 a bratwurst and some corn chips for a mid-morning snack.  Late lunch of bagel, turkey, provolone cheese, BASIL, and guacamole .... with a nectarine.  And then pumpkin ravioli and Alfredo sauce for dinner.  A glass of port while watching "Father Brown" and knitting before bed.  

I am pleased that I'm not overeating nor getting "full" at meals and snacks.  Just eating until I'm not hungry anymore.  And sometimes that "STOP" moment comes very early in a meal, which means that it is easy to miss if I'm not paying attention.  (Yes, I still eat lunch while watching TV most days .... it is still too quiet in the house, and I look forward to having an office again.)

Time Stone:

It was a rainy day ... and thankfully not so very hot!!!  But, being a weekday, I felt the need to prepare for fall classes and didn't do anything summery.  

In the evening, I did go out and plant some more sunflower seeds in various wildflower beds.  The gardens are coming along famously now that summer is here.  When I get a few more plants blooming, I'll show them off.

Hubby and I are thinking of going to an SCA event - Castle Fever - this weekend.  

Space Stone:

We're still working on scheduling a time to see the apartment.  I'm not good at trusting that things will work out.  

Power Stone:

Nada.  (2/28) 

23 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I heard it was so hot there! Hope the sunburn isn't too bad.

Oh this is very frustrating! Maybe if you could get hold of the manager again and made a definite date to go up there, then you'll be able to discuss all of the rest in person?

Yea, the sunburn is much better - it was just a touch of scratchy burny pink.  I might just need to get a fresh bottle of sunscreen, but I was surprised to burn in under an hour outside.  

We're trying to set an appointment for next week to see the apartment.  Since it is currently occupied, I'm sure that the manager has her own issues with trying to contact the current renter to get permission to show it.  It's been so long since I had to rent a place (we've owned houses for nearly 30 years) that I forget how different the dynamic is.  When you're buying, the current occupants usually really want to cooperate with you; renters .... not so much.  

• Like 4

Some sort of Jedi .....