Emerald Eagle focuses on the BEAUTIFUL (and her recovery)

Excerpts from The Diary of Emerald Eagle, begun in the Summer of 1017-18

24th Day of the 5th Month of the Year 1018

I came back to myself because my face was getting wet. I realised it was Willow, my faithful pup, washing my face with my tongue. I sat up and looked around, trying to orientate myself. As I did I felt a shooting pain through my left knee. "Uh oh, that's not good" I thought. Looking down I could see that my knee was significantly swollen and, I discovered quite quickly, tender to touch. I was sitting at the bottom of a fairly steep piece of track, and I could tell from the skid marks behind me I had probably fallen down it, though I don't remember that. 

I tried to get to my feet but moving at all was painful and I quickly gave up. My mind started to race, what if I couldn't move? I had left the last established camp weeks ago and there would be no one for miles around. Unable to stand, let alone defend myself, I was vulnerable to the elements, not to mention the not so friendly creatures who called this wilderness their home. I wiped away the tears from my cheeks in frustration - I was an adventurer, a ranger, and this wasn't going to defeat me! At that moment I heard a rustle in the bushes, out of which appeared Willow carrying a large straight stick in her mouth that she presented to me proudly, her tail wagging away. 

"You are such a good girl!" I told her, rubbing her belly in appreciation. Using the stick and a nearby boulder I managed to get myself upright and limped along until I found a camping spot by a waterhole. There I set about the process of bandaging and treating my scrapes and bruises, and splinting my leg. Leaning back against a tree I relaxed, this may slow me down but it shouldn't stop me. Now I have a new mission - heal so that I can continue on.

• Like 3

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

For those of you who have been following my journey recently will know that about 2 weeks I managed to dislocate my knee cap while warming up at Crossfit (hence the story above). You'll also know that this, along with some other things that have been happening in my personal life, threw a fairly dark cloud over me that I've been struggling with in these last few weeks. 

The first thing that started to draw me out of this dark cloud was an evening that I spent with my Mum seeing the musical "Beautiful" about the life of Carol King. The whole musical, but particularly the title really stuck with me. It's about focusing on the positive, and finding that light and love within yourself, all things that are really resonating with me at the moment.

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

Challenge Goals

Goal One: Eat a balanced meal (also known as "tray life")

Measure: Eat at least 2 meals a day that fit Crossfit Box Hill's prescription of a balanced meal (measured in a tray with mini compartments). 

Reason: This will help me achieve my HEALTHY goal, helping to reduce my body fat and fuel my body with real food. It may also impact my HAPPY goal as my moods level out and I'm not turning to junk food for comfort.

Goal Two: Fix my knee

Measure: Go to Crossfit 3 times per week, do the accessory work that is prescribed.

Reason: Fixing my knee will help my HEALTHY goal, and getting back in the gym will definitely help my HAPPY goal (for me gym is more about mental health than physical health). 

Goal Three: Be an adult

Measure: Brush my teeth, wash my face, take my meds.

Reason: This will help my HEALTHY goal as hygiene is important! Plus looking better and feeling better will help my HAPPY goal.

Goal Four: Be a part of the community

Measure: Post on my challenge thread every day, post on someone else's thread 4 times a week.

Reason: The community helps me with all goals, and accountability is important. Having friends, even internet ones, means I feel less alone and supports my HAPPY goal.

Tracking

I have found previously that tick boxes keep me accountable, so here they are!

Tray life: ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Knee rehab: ☐☐☐

Adulting: ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐

Community: ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 

• Like 4

i love your goals. i also have a sweet tooth! let's keep each other abreast of our progress!

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

oh... also obviously following :)

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Wow, I need to catch up with your last challenge EE, but sounds like you've had a rough time of it. Here to follow your awesome journey of recovery!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

I totally typed out an update over the weekend...and then didn't click post apparently. 

giphy.gif

Friday was a really big day for me. I had a really long email chain with the head coach at my Crossfit box while I was at work (totally doing work things...between answering emails about my knee). It was exactly what I needed, he is super supportive of me coming back into the gym and confident they can modify the program to something I can do AND give me an accessory program to help strengthen my legs and stabilise my knee cap so that I don't hurt it again. We also had a very honest conversation about my weight and my nutrition - it basically boiled down to the extra weight I am carrying is not helping my knee (or any of my joints) and one of the best things I can do for my recovery and my long term health is to get my body fat lower through getting my nutrition in order. This means the focus of this challenge is going to shift a bit and I'm actually going to be focusing a lot on nutrition as an aide to my recovery. 

latest?cb=20140502032736

After work I went to the gym and I was so nervous / excited to be back. The others were running so we modified the program for me to rowing instead and it felt really good.

Rowing Pacing

3 rounds - row 800m

Aim to get all 3 rounds within 5 seconds of each other.

Times: 4.09, 3.58, 3.53

WOD

Alt EMOM

Row 45 sec (recovery)

Dumbbell strict press 45 sec *

* scaled for handstand push ups

Saturday/Sunday

Over the weekend I spent a lot of time thinking about how I am going to make this new eating plan work. Basically it's going to mean I have to be a lot more prepared with my meals - winging it is going to end badly. 

Monday

On Monday (yesterday) I did not make it to the gym but I did hit 10,000 steps for the first time since I hurt my knee. It's probably double the amount of walking I had done in any one day since the injury and I pulled up pretty well (my feet were a bit unhappy but that was mostly due to my shoe choice). The only thing that really bothers me now are stairs - hopefully I can talk to my coach about what we can do to make them better, though the answer is probably time! 

Tray life: *☐☐☐☐☐☐

Knee rehab: ☐☐☐

Adulting: ☐☐☐☐☐☐

Community: ☐☐☐☐☐☐ 

• Like 3

On 5/25/2018 at 12:24 PM, ladyofthebog said:

i love your goals. i also have a sweet tooth! let's keep each other abreast of our progress!

Hi, Welcome! Thanks :) I have been able to quieten my sugar cravings before and it generally involves going "cold turkey" and not having anything. "Just one" is not a thing my brain can handle. 

On 5/25/2018 at 11:11 PM, Rhovaniel said:

Wow, I need to catch up with your last challenge EE, but sounds like you've had a rough time of it. Here to follow your awesome journey of recovery!

Thanks Rho, glad to have you along for the ride :) I am really hoping I have found the bottom of the valley and can start climbing back up the mountain this challenge.

11 minutes ago, Xena said:

Love all your goals, and also the very to-the-point names. This one is my fave.

I just changed this one :o spirit is still there though! 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 4:11 PM, Emerald Eagle said:

It may also impact my HAPPY goal as my moods level out and I'm not turning to junk food for comfort.

This will probably help your mood more than anything else, you get to feel well from nutrients in the food and you get the mental kick of knowing you did something good for yourself. 

1 hour ago, Emerald Eagle said:

Friday was a really big day for me. I had a really long email chain with the head coach at my Crossfit box while I was at work (totally doing work things...between answering emails about my knee). It was exactly what I needed, he is super supportive of me coming back into the gym and confident they can modify the program to something I can do AND give me an accessory program to help strengthen my legs and stabilise my knee cap so that I don't hurt it again. We also had a very honest conversation about my weight and my nutrition - it basically boiled down to the extra weight I am carrying is not helping my knee (or any of my joints) and one of the best things I can do for my recovery and my long term health is to get my body fat lower through getting my nutrition in order. This means the focus of this challenge is going to shift a bit and I'm actually going to be focusing a lot on nutrition as an aide to my recovery. 

You seem to have stumbled on a good coach and a good box, this kind of frank conversation is not an easy one to have. Seems like a great opportunity for transformation with the support of someone who knows what they are talking about. Go for it! 

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Hey you!  How's it going?

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 6/5/2018 at 11:58 PM, Haikoo said:

Hey there, how you doing???

On 6/22/2018 at 5:26 AM, Cheetah said:

Hey you!  How's it going?

Thank you for reaching out, and I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I feel off the wagon big time and am struggling to get back on. I am hoping to have a super simple challenge this next time around and stick to it. I know I do so much better when I am engaged with this amazing group of people.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:31 AM, Xena said:

Just stopping by :-)

How's the knee doing?

My knee is going OK, this is the last week that I'm not allowed to do any lower body work and next week I will start slowly rehabbing the joint. Normal life outside the gym is basically not affected by it anymore. I never thought I would miss running and squatting as much as I do! 

• Like 2