EmilM's Journey to Health and Fitness

So, after lurking for quite some time I finally decided to join up.

I am new in these parts of the internet, yet not completely new to following some of the protocols advanced on NF. Last year around the same time I weighed in at 107 kgs. By religiously cleaning up my diet and adding strength training I lost north of 20 kgs in just 5 months. Then I plateued. Seing the weight stand still gave me a hit on the motivation and I soon started eating worse and in a few months I had completely dropped out of my strength-training routine. I didn't completely let go on my diet, but enough to add 10 kgs over the next 5-6 months.

Now I am ready to try again, but this time I will try to adjust it. I need a routine that makes for a lifestyle-change, and in that there needs to be room to let go once in a while. Especially with regard to alcohol. Last year after I had a few nights of heavy partying I just gave up on the whole ordeal. This time i need to make room for that, and still get back on track the next day.

In other words I might take it more slowly this time, but hopefully the effects will be slightly more permanent.

So far I have cleaned up my diet. I am, mostly, paleo but with a heavy snacking-complex. So far I accept this, but I am aware that in the next couple of months I need to be way more conscious of the amount of nuts, dark chocolate and cheese I consume.

I will make room for the occasional indulgences, but only as a part of social gatherings. And it is of paramount importance that I continue afterwards. I think one way to do that is weigh and measure myself on fewer occasions. Again, this is something I can work towards over the first weeks and couple of months. In the beginning it is very motivational to see the weight drop almost every day. I will take that pleasure for now.

As for my training-regimen I have'nt decided excactly what to do yet. For the last 8 months I have been dancing a lot. Like in a LOT. It has been beyond awesome. Unfortunately there is now a 2½ month hiatus. No matter I know that I need to add strength training. Last time I just began working out 4-6 times a week. This time I will ease in to it more. Both because I thereby hope to make it a more sustainable habbit, but also for practical reasons. Last year I had plenty of time in june. This year I am swamped at work and will wait till july to up the ante.

So for now I walk. Walk and walk and walk. I have always loved walking and we have had the best summer in Denmark this year so far since 1992. 

This log or journal is for me to write what I have been doing, what goals I have and maybe what goals I change. It is to keep me accountable for something, if only my words to this small corner of the world :)

Happy to finaly join in.

Regards

EmilM

• Like 1

My journal can be viewed here. Challenges here 1

• EmilM changed the title to EmilM's Journey to Health and Fitness

So this weekend I was travelling visiting friends and working in another part of the country. I managed to do some very long walks and stick to a somewhat decent diet. I did drink too much and I ate bread. Freshly baked bread is just so damn delicious. I am back in my own part of the country and it is just so much easier drinking enough water and cooking the right meals when you are at home. I am glad that I am back on track even if the weekend stalled me. It is the mentality I am working on this time around :)

So I am back trying to stick to a better diet. This time I will do my challenges.

My long-term goals are fitness, health and housing related.

For the next 4-5 weeks I will focus on drinking more water, not drink alchol alone, do some cooking and do a little walks and push-ups. Also I will finish restoring the windows of my house.

So far I have been drinking water every day for the past few days. I don't eat very well, but I just bought groceries, and I plan on doing som kale and chicken tomorrow.

The windows are doing great and I have done a few push-ups every day.