Roxy's trying to get it all done

How big is the job fair?  I would suggest taking more resumes than you think you need (on nice paper) and having references in hand will make you stand out as prepared and serious!  Do you have business cards?  Those might be good if people aren't looking for paper resumes. I don't think it matters straight or curly but make sure your hair is tame and professional.  And try to follow up with everyone you talk with.  That follow up email or hand written note goes a long way.   Good luck finding clothes, I've been doing something similar the last month as a prepare for a conference.  Professional clothes, shoes and hair styles are hard (and they can be boring!)

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Winter is Coming

39 minutes ago, Terra said:

How big is the job fair?  I would suggest taking more resumes than you think you need (on nice paper) and having references in hand will make you stand out as prepared and serious!  Do you have business cards?  Those might be good if people aren't looking for paper resumes. I don't think it matters straight or curly but make sure your hair is tame and professional.  And try to follow up with everyone you talk with.  That follow up email or hand written note goes a long way.   Good luck finding clothes, I've been doing something similar the last month as a prepare for a conference.  Professional clothes, shoes and hair styles are hard (and they can be boring!)

Large I guess, about 100 companies I think is what I read. I do not have business cards. But I can get somewhere to get nice paper. That is a great idea. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

MFP: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/rkonie Name: RKonie

Thurs, Day 10:

good day. food was reasonable. No CF again, but I had appointments to take care of. Chiropractor visit was much needed, and then I got my hair done. I am looking for a good practice test program for my Sec+ certification. I think we have found one through CompTia, I just need their site to work so I can purchase it. I am on the home stretch with this cert. (I think).  Then I will see about taking ITIL. My husband says I need it if I am going into Systems Admin stuff. Decide that later.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 3

did okay.

2) CrossFit Passing days= 2

3) Education Passing days= 7

Pass

Side Goals:

1) Practice my spanish and polish 3 times per week. I use duolingo to learn, it has a couple of apps so there is no excuse Passing days= 0

2) Use the home gym once per week. Passing days= 0

3) Use the bicycle or run once per week. Passing days= 0

• Like 3

Fri-Mon, Day 11-14:

The last 4 days have not been terrible really. Actually pretty good. Saturday was a "off" day for food. I have not been to CF, but I plan on getting there tonight. I spent the weekend prepping for a job fair that took place yesterday. I also went to a recruiting event last evening. Both went pretty well. I spent the afternoon looking at some of the companies I spoke with. Put in 1 application with the NGA. I am worried about that one though. I didn't see a spot for attaching my resume, and I think there probably was one. I don't see a way to fix in now though. I will look again tonight. I have studied a little Sec+, but have not looked at any of my side goals.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 6

did okay x3

2) CrossFit Passing days= 2

3) Education Passing days= 9

Pass x2

Side Goals:

1) Practice my spanish and polish 3 times per week. I use duolingo to learn, it has a couple of apps so there is no excuse Passing days= 0

• Like 3

Tues, Day 15:

Pretty good day.

• Food was controlled. BUT I have not been very hungry. I sit down for a meal and get full quick. I'm worried this is a side affect of my meds.
  • Reapplied for a position I applied to Monday. I was not happy with my application, so their HR said I could just reapply.
  • Applied to a new posting at the same company.
  • Got to CF.
  • Got a lot of dizzy spells at CF, but I have been getting dizzy off and on lately. Again I'm worried it's a side affect of my meds. I talked with coach and he thinks it is. Hopefully my body will adjust and these affects will stop.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 7

good

2) CrossFit Passing days= 3

3x3 at 75% 1rm Front Squat = 90#

2x8 at -10% the 3x3 wt Front Squat = 80#

3x5 Dead Lifts = 100# *this is somewhat new to me, I have not had formal coaching on this since mechanics over a year ago.

3xmax reps Glute Ham raises

3x8 Sandbag Squats at 40#

3) Education Passing days= 9

Side Goals:

• Like 2

I hope the side effects from your meds balance out soon. That sounds frustrating to keep dealing with dizziness.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope the side effects from your meds balance out soon. That sounds frustrating to keep dealing with dizziness.

Thanks. I hope so too. Most of the time the dizziness is minor and doesn't interrupt much, but at the gym it interferes a bit more.

• Like 1

Wed, Day 16:

Studied

Ate okay

rested

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 8

good

3) Education Passing days= 10

Studied

Side Goals:

• Like 2

Thurs, Day 17:

Tired of being tired. But I/m trying to get the core stuff done. Food was okay, then I studied. No CF again. I really need to get this Sec+ done. I should take some time to do more job searching. I have placed 3 applications, but I could be doing more.

I want some time to practice my languages too. I think if I could get fluent in them or at least be able to read it it would look great on a government resume. But I am a long way off from being able to say I can read or speak a second or third language. Future goals.

I meant to get to the gym more this week. But an upset digestive track has caused me to sit out. I really need to get back there. It helps me in so many ways.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 9

good

3) Education Passing days= 11

Studied

Side Goals:

• Like 2

On 6/15/2018 at 1:55 PM, rmkwilson said:

Tired of being tired. But I/m trying to get the core stuff done.

Sometimes that's the only way to get thing done. I wish it wasn't but it's nonetheless a thing. 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Friday-Sunday, Day 18-20:

Um...Trying to remember the weekend. Don't remember much. I know I did a lot of studying. Lots of sleeping Saturday night. Saw 'The Incredibles 2'. Food was so so. No CF.

My CF gym is having another Summer Shred program starting next week...the 23rd. I wasn't going to participate due to the cost of it, but I know I need the support. SO I will find the money and get it done. Signed up this morning. What it entails:

• Meal plans for 4 weeks
  • 3 extra work outs per week that can be done anywhere
  • body scan at the start and end of the program
  • weekly check ins for support
  • Program lasts 8 weeks

I gotta do this. I want to be one of coach's success stories. Maybe the good nutrition will help my head problems too.  Back to CF this week, but in the Ozarks next week, THEN Summer Shred time.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 9

food wasn't great from what I can remember.

3) Education Passing days= 14

Studied

Side Goals:

• Like 3

Monday, Day 21:

Food was not too bad. More studying. Sec+ is my focus right now. I really need to get it done so I can move on from here.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 10

Not too bad

3) Education Passing days= 15

Studied

Side Goals:

• Like 1

Tuesday, Day 22:

Food was okay. I did complete my CF barbell work out, but did it at home. I just couldn't get myself into the gym...drove to the gym but turned around and went home. Something was off in my brain last night. But work out done and I did some job searching. I applied for one, and was declined this morning. Gotta keep trying. Although the more I look the more I realize that everyone want somebody with experience and jobs for entry level are almost impossible to find...at least in IT in my area. :(

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 11

Not too bad

2) CrossFit Passing days= 4

80# 3x5 front squat

100# 3x5 deadlifts

3x8 glute ham raises

3x8 weighted squats

3x30sec side plank

3) Education Passing days= 15

Side Goals:

2) Use the home gym once per week. Passing days= 1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmkwilson said:

Food was okay. I did complete my CF barbell work out, but did it at home. I just couldn't get myself into the gym...drove to the gym but turned around and went home. Something was off in my brain last night. But work out done and I did some job searching. I applied for one, and was declined this morning. Gotta keep trying. Although the more I look the more I realize that everyone want somebody with experience and jobs for entry level are almost impossible to find...at least in IT in my area. :(

In my experience (which is to say I've done a fair amount of hiring for IT roles), the requirements for roles can sometimes be a little bit of a wish list (I've had arguments with HR departments about that). So apply anyway if something looks suitable. Lack of experience can be overcome if you can demonstrate aptitude and competence. Rejections will happen but try not to let that put you off. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

In my experience (which is to say I've done a fair amount of hiring for IT roles), the requirements for roles can sometimes be a little bit of a wish list (I've had arguments with HR departments about that). So apply anyway if something looks suitable. Lack of experience can be overcome if you can demonstrate aptitude and competence. Rejections will happen but try not to let that put you off. 

Thanks Jon. I guess I should have listened to my husband last night. He said almost the exact same thing. LOL But He was speaking from having a lot of applying experience, not hiring. I got a call earlier today to schedule an interview. I missed the call but I am trying to call them back. They want to meet me next week but I am out of town. I am hoping they will work with me. Keeping fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, rmkwilson said:

I got a call earlier today to schedule an interview.

Woo! All the best with that! Hope you get to reschedule things. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Wednesday, Day 23:

It was a good day over all. Got an interview scheduled for when I get back from The Ozarks. Fingers crossed I get a job offer. It will be a Configuration Management (CM) position. Hopefully the pay is not too low. I can't afford much of a pay cut.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 12

Okay, I did eat some PB M&Ms but everything has been good.

3) Education Passing days= 16

Studied during dinner

Side Goals:

• Like 3

Good luck on that interview.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks @Tanktimus the Encourager

Thursday, Day 24:

Food was not good yesterday and I did not get to CF, but I did study briefly before dinner. I also got to the chiropractor and got set up for my Summer Shred that starts Saturday. So things got done. :)

Also trying to get organized for our trip Sunday...not getting to far on this one though. LOL Oh well I have Saturday for that.

The Challenge Goals=

1) Food Tracking and Calorie Watching Passing days= 12

3) Education Passing days= 17

Studied before dinner

Side Goals:

• Like 2

Quick wrap up since I've been away.

1) Went to Lake of the Ozarks for a week. Fishing, boating, relaxing, and visiting family. It was fantastic and I was sad to leave. The trip was much needed

2) Food was horrible, and no exercising got done.

3) My interview was canceled. They decided to hire from within or so they claim

4) One of my applications to the NGA has made it to a review process. That is good, means it made it past the computer automated screening. But the government is slow so it will take time to see if anything comes of this.

5) I'm back to it....Batch cooked yesterday. Ready to study with my practice test program. Ready to get back to the gym.

I will attempt to get a new challenge together in the next few days.

• Like 1