For this challenge, I am focusing on getting myself into a strong routine so that many of my good habits become automatic and consistent. I am also reading Aubrey Marcus's new book Own the Day, Own Your Life as well as going through the Youtube videos that partner well with the book, so as I progress I will probably be modifying my challenge a bit.

Goals:

• develop and practice consistent morning and evening routines that build on the following:
    • prayer/meditation
    • study scripture
    • bodyweight exercises
    • make the bed
    • drink more water
    • cold shower
    • brush/floss
    • shave
    • read more
    • journal

• prepare for Spartan
    • Daily: at least 30 burpees
    • Mon: Sprints; interval training
    • Tues: Strength -- WOD, HIIT, bodyweight training
    • Wed: Sprints; interval training
    • Thurs: Rest (yoga, meditation, brain training)
    • Fri: Strength -- WOD, HIIT, bodyweight training
    • Sat: Endurance -- distance/trail run
    • Sun: Rest (yoga, meditation, brain training)

• Like 5

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

I wish you the best on your challenge. I have tried multiple times to build a solid morning/evening routine, but I always really struggle with it. If you have any tips, I would love to hear them =)

• Like 2

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

Whatcha doing for this part?

Looks awesome as ever.
I have options. I can read (books, articles, blogs, etc.), use an app like Peak or Duolingo, work a puzzle. Anything to strengthen my brain muscles. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

3 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I have options. I can read (books, articles, blogs, etc.), use an app like Peak or Duolingo, work a puzzle. Anything to strengthen my brain muscles. :-)

What language on Duolingo?

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

What language on Duolingo?
Spanish. [emoji846]

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Step One: downloaded a habit tracker on my phone for each of the things listed above and set reminders. Most of these are morning habits, and so far today I have achieved all but two of the actions.

•0430 wakeup; actually, loud honking outside woke me up around 0425, and I decided to stay up.

•said the Lord's prayer as well as a more personal prayer.

•used the SPACE method to study John 11:45-57

•took a cold shower

•took girls to school and then drove to Charleston (the capital city) and walked through the state museum. I also had coffee from Burundi at my favorite place in the city.

•I'm making a judgement call on whether the work I do with my mentor counts as a Spartan workout. Since I carried about 70 pieces of lumber today, including some 2x4x20's I'd say it counts.

•Also completed 30 burpees, 2 sets of 15.

•planning to journal tonight before bed.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

tumblr_mrqs4eA7XN1r2zyogo1_500.gif

• adopted the five-minute journal method for journaling
  • read the first chapter of Own the Day, Own Your Life.
  • Aubrey Marcus recommends three things first thing in the morning: water, light, and movement (not a workout, just 1-10 minutes of movement to wake your body up).

tumblr_m5f5m4gLz11ry6151o3_500.gif

• To hydrate, he recommends room temperature water with a dab of sea salt (Himalayan is best) and some lemon juice. Apple cider vinegar is also a good thing to add to help cleanse the body of toxins. I have an organic ACV detox mix that also contains lemon juice, cinnamon, and honey.
  • For movement, I can continue with my daily primal movements and stretches, as well as some pull-ups/hanging leg raises and of course the daily burpees.
  • Breakfast: four fried eggs topped with cheddar cheese and salsa, a vanilla protein shake with maple syrup added
  • Lunch: turkey avocado on rye with tomato and mayonnaise
  • Dinner: interrupted, but I managed to eat a salad with baby spinach, black olives, carrots, hard-boiled egg, mushrooms, and beets topped with oil and vinegar, as well as a sirloin steak, steamed spinach, and cooked onions and green peppers.

3b1dac872117540f5efcebbdf4c52b1d.jpg

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Bummer.

I'm going to have to modify my Spartan workouts. Last week I rolled my ankle, and I thought it was getting better. But today while mowing the lawn it gave out on me again and I don't think running on it is such a good idea at this point. So I need something to replace the sprints and the endurance runs. Any suggestions? Maybe just long walks and hikes?

There is some good news. Chapter 2 of Own the Day is called Deep Breath, Deep Freeze, and it's about the Wim Hof method. So I will be adding that to my routine: Wim Hof breathing.

• Sad 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I wish you the best on your challenge. I have tried multiple times to build a solid morning/evening routine, but I always really struggle with it. If you have any tips, I would love to hear them =)
Use a habit tracker on your phone, something that sends you a reminder for each thing you're supposed to be doing. Write down a list for the morning. It doesn't have to have times unless that helps. Mine looks like this:

0430-0445: wakeup
Prayer
Pushups
Drink a big glass of water
Take dogs outside
Pull-ups/leg raises on porch
Barefoot walk to hillside; work through Primal stretches and movements
15 burpees
Once back inside, do scripture study & morning journal
WHM breathing
Cold shower
Shave & brush teeth

Obvioisly I'm a morning person, so you don't have to get up as early as me, especially if that's not practical for you. The key thing is to wake up early enough to have time to get through your routine. And do not, and I mean do not snooze your alarm. Get up and get after it. [emoji16]

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Day One Update:

•0445 wakeup

•said the Lord's prayer as well as a more personal prayer

•drank 20oz of water+Himalayan pink salt+ACV/lemon/honey

•continued study of the book of John using the SPACE method

•wrote in 5 minute journal

•took dogs outside, worked through some primal movements and stretches; also did 5 pull-ups and 8 leg raises.

•15 burpees this morning and 15 this evening

•completed 3 rounds of WHM breathing. Times for holds were 1:00, 2:01, and 2:24.

•3 minute cold shower

•shaved using my electric razor

•brushed, flossed and used mouthwash

•read the next chapter of Own the Day, which talks about breakfast and how it is most often made up of sugary foods that make you feel worse later. Aubrey suggests high fat, high protein, high fiber foods or don't eat at all. He discusses the benefits of intermittent fasting as well as the mistaken belief that fat is bad for you.

•took the kids to the pool today and swam some laps (great replacement for my Spartan workout plan of sprints).

•drank 20 more oz. of water (nothing added).

•I left early because after doing a cannonball, I felt pain in my ankle that did not let up until I elevated it and put ice in it at home. I think I pulled it when tucking my feet under me. The girls stayed a little longer. My ankle is still swollen.

•meditated while laying in bed with my ankle propped up.

•now I'm spending time with my parents at my Papaw's old house (they live there now) while drying clothes because our dryer died.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Aw, your dryer died? Any plans to replace it? 

I love the morning routine.
Eventually. [emoji23]

And thank you. I've always been a morning person, but I've mostly been a "lay around and do nothing for an hour" morning person... which really doesn't count.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Posting this because it's awesome:

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Day Two (Twosday <-- See what I did there?):

Side note: I'm writing this at almost 4am EST because my daughter has to be at her school early for a trip to Cedar Point in Ohio. But I've been awake since 2:30 because my oldest daughter closed at work last night, and I wanted to make sure she got home safely. So if my post gets loopy, I blame sleepiness.

ahwg.gif

• 0430 Wakeup
  • Lord's prayer, as well as a more personal prayer
  • drank a shaker bottle full of water+Himalayan pink salt+acv/honey/lemon
  • Studied John 12:37-50 using the SPACE method; every time I read scripture I am floored by something I hadn't noticed before. Jesus's assurance and confidence in his "literal" God-given purpose is inspiring.

batman+the+dark+knight+rises+gif+joker+g

• wrote in the first half of my five-minute journal
  • took the dogs outside, did 5 pull-ups and 8 leg-raises, and worked through some primal stretches and movements
  • 30 daily burpees completed: 10 in the morning, 10 in the afternoon, 10 in the evening.
  • Three rounds of WHM breathing, 2 minutes each hold.

tenor.gif

• 4 minute cold shower
  • shaved with my electric razor
  • brushed, flossed, and used mouthwash
  • read the next chapter of Own the Day... This chapter was about supplements and which are the most essential. Aubrey points out that supplements don't always have to be a pill or a capsule (i.e. sunlight as a vitamin D supplement, oily fish as an Omega-3 supplement, etc), but some of the best options do come in capsule form. He also cautions against just buying whatever because you're better off not taking supplements at all than taking the bad ones.
  • Spartan strength training came in two parts: hauling lumber for my mentor and wading across a waist-deep river with a fairly swift current. I also swam in a deeper part of the river as well as the pool later.

raw

BONUS: Delivered some flyers for the writing camp for middle schoolers that I will be co-hosting this summer.

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

• WolfDreamer changed the title to Wolfen Owns the Day
9 hours ago, Wolfen said:

He also cautions against just buying whatever because you're better off not taking supplements at all than taking the bad ones.

He's right, that and most of the time you can't absorb enough out of a pill from of a supplement so that you are pretty much paying for expensive pee :P That and if you do need to get a capsule/pill form of something, take it with food, your stomach will thank you for it and you will get more out of it :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Leigh said:

you are pretty much paying for expensive pee

That's literally exactly what he says in the book! :D

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Day Three (Wednesday):

Run-Your-Own-Day.jpg

• 0330 wakeup (daughter had to be at school for field trip at 0415)
  • Lord's prayer as well as a more personal prayer of praise to God for another healthy morning and for safe travels for the students on the field trip
  • drank water+Himalayan pink salt+acv/honey/lemon in a 20oz. shaker bottle
  • studied John 13:1-17 using the SPACE method; this is one of my favorite passages in the Bible in which Jesus washes his disciples' feet, a job typically reserved for lowly servants. Jesus performs what was perhaps the most humble act imaginable (until his death and burial, of course) and commands his disciples to do the same for others. In reading this today, I question whether he meant this literally (he does say "you ought to wash other's feet"). Jesus speaks figuratively so often, and this command is surrounded by images of slaves and teachers or masters. But the line that makes me think he's not just talking about washing feet is verse 15: "I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you."

the-best-day-of-your-life-is-the-one-on-

• Wrote in 5-minute journal
  • took the dogs outside while barefoot and shirtless, completed 10 leg-raises and 5 pull-ups, then walked out to the hillside and worked through some primal stretches and movements.
  • Worked with my mentor picking branches up out of his yard after a thunderstorm and blowing off his front and back porches with a leaf blower.
  • I went a little crazy with the burpees today: 85 total throughout the day (7 sets of 10, 1 set of 15). Most of these were completed while cleaning theaters at work today.

write-it-on-your-heart-that-every-day-is

• 3 rounds of WHM breathing: 1:51, 2:06. 2:00.
  • 3:55 cold shower
  • also successfully attempted a reversed balance
  • shaved with my electric razor

e26678d2cdfda923c3c2a0d820111761.jpg

• brushed, flossed, and used mouthwash
  • almost finished with the next chapter of Own the Day... This one is called "Drive Time, Alive Time" and is about making use of commute time. Aubrey breaks it down into two suggestions: Mindfulness and Minfillness. In Mindfulness, he suggests some easy-to-do mindfulness exercises while sitting in your car, mainly being present in the moment, not thinking about where you'd rather be or how late to work you're going to be, just be present and aware of everything while focusing on nothing. For Mindfillness, he recommends listening to podcasts on the way to help make good use of the time spent during your commute.
  • I'm proud to say that my commute is almost always pleasant because if I'm not jamming to music, I am listening to a podcast episode or an audiobook.
  • Speaking of which, I am also listening to Man Alive by Patrick Morley. I am almost finished.
  • Spartan workout: Well, today was supposed to be sprints, but my ankle is still sore and swollen, and I did not have access to a stationary bicycle or something that might be a workout without straining my ankle too much. I'm counting the extra burpees, climbing steps at the movie theater, and my 18,385 steps total as my workout today.
  • Need to finish the end of the day entry in my 5-minute journal and then get some sleep. My daughter will be back from her trip at 2am.

1829513077-L1SAZ_jpg.png

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Okay, let's do this. I hesitated to post this, but I am only doing so to give myself some hope. I have a long way to go, but this is proof that in a year I have lost flab and gained some form, especially in my upper body. In the first picture I was about 185. Now I am holding at 165.

25it1c0.jpg

So there you have it. My proof of progress.

• Like 4

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I know I'm behind on the thread, but your dryer situation reminded me of this. (I was a little shocked when I came to the UK and found that everyone uses clotheslines. Even big families, even with the grey weather.) 

11870674_906630036064182_5404451840829859735_n.jpg

• Haha 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

6 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

I know I'm behind on the thread, but your dryer situation reminded me of this. (I was a little shocked when I came to the UK and found that everyone uses clotheslines. Even big families, even with the grey weather.) 

11870674_906630036064182_5404451840829859735_n.jpg

This is great. :D

We're not supposed to have them in our neighborhood, but there are a lot of overlooked broken rules in our neighborhood; a clothesline is the least of the property owner's worries. If he questions it, I will just explain that we have a broken dryer.

So I've become very self-conscious since posting the photo of me, but I also posted it to Twitter and received some encouraging feedback. I need this kind of motivation, to stretch out of my comfort zone and see that what I am doing is working, even if more slowly than my ego would like. My ego wants me to be ripped by summer, to have a "beach body" (even though I'm not going to the beach this summer). But that's not how sustainable, healthy growth works. At least not for me, anyway.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler