Bea the Bard Heeds the Call to Action

Like any storyteller with the inkling of a new idea or tale to tell, All the Things are whirling about in my brain trying to come together in coherent thoughts that make sense. :) For that reason, I'm not even going to try to open with something brilliant and engaging. Just the basics. The good stuff will come sometime this weekend once I make my way through the goal-setting worksheet and wrap my mind around all things Nerd Fitness.

But the basics:

I'm a 39 year old career fiction writer, Six-Year-Old-Boy Mom, Chef's Wife, Live-In Caregiver to a very sick old man, and Slave to a couple of small furry creatures.

I love being strong and active, but bad habits are easy in the face of adversity, and Adulting is a minefield of obstacles - leaving me, at the moment, not so strong anymore. But we've finally shed the long cold winter (only to plummet into the long, blazing summer, sigh, I miss you climate of my youth, and the spring you used to give) and I'm tired of sitting on the couch while life passes by. I have an all or nothing personality, and since I haven't been able to do All due to caregiving obligations, I've been doing a whole lot of nothing instead.

I'm tired of nothing. Nothing is boring, and my couch isn't all that comfortable anyway. :) I'd rather set off on an adventure.

--

First Challenge Goals TBA before Monday. Watch this space. :watermelon:

OK! Challenge Goals:

Fitness

• 168,000 Fitbit steps between 5/28 and 6/24.
  • Four yoga workouts between 5/28 and 6/24
  • Ride bike across the bridge four times between 5/28 and 6/24
  • Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight workout 2x/week

Diet

• Fruit or vegetable w/every meal (incl snacks)
  • Protein-heavy, carb-light breakfast 4 days each week (scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc., instead of toast, cereal, baked goods)
  • Keep a food log/journal at least 4 days each week

Life

• Phone free, Active Parenting Time daily from 7-9:30 p.m. (turn off phone completely; fill this time with playing w/kiddo, playing w/animals, meal clean-up, next day prep, reading w/kiddo, doing bedtime routines, etc)
  • Floss at least 5 out of 7 days each week
  • Write a minimum of 100 words of fiction daily

I'm not sure how I'm going to keep myself accountable quite yet. Maybe a spreadsheet to track? I'm going to think about that this weekend, and I'll have a system in place by Monday. 

• Like 1

I really like the goals you've set. They're definitely SMART goals, and they are realistic and doable. That's hugely important since you mentioned having an all or nothing approach to things. In particular, I love that most of your fitness goal are spread across the entire timespan, so you can work them in when it makes sense, and that you also have a weekly goal. I also really like your phone free time, including a specific set time, and the plan to just turn the phone off completely, and not have to rely on willpower to ignore it then.

The only thing I would add is that you may need to address stress levels with some sort of mental self-care as well since you're a mom, wife, caretaker, and slave according to your bio. It seems you spend a lot of time caring for others which can be exhausting. Make sure you take time to just be yourself in there as well. (Even if it's just hubby taking care of things for 20 minutes in the evening so you can have a little time to yourself without being interrupted or asked to do something.

I enjoy writing as well (when I was younger I was big into writing fanfiction, but I'd like to write an actual novel (or series) eventually). Do you have any published works?

I wish you great luck and fortune on your journey. I'll be following along : )

• Like 1
On 5/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, Elice.Brigadd said:

The only thing I would add is that you may need to address stress levels with some sort of mental self-care as well since you're a mom, wife, caretaker, and slave according to your bio. It seems you spend a lot of time caring for others which can be exhausting. Make sure you take time to just be yourself in there as well. (Even if it's just hubby taking care of things for 20 minutes in the evening so you can have a little time to yourself without being interrupted or asked to do something.

I enjoy writing as well (when I was younger I was big into writing fanfiction, but I'd like to write an actual novel (or series) eventually). Do you have any published works?

I wish you great luck and fortune on your journey. I'll be following along : )

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Yes, I started to set goals as "yoga twice a week, bike twice a week" and so on but my life is pretty unpredictable (and completely packed). There are weeks when I can't get a shower for five days, let alone get into the garage and get my bike out or find 45 uninterrupted minutes in a clean room for a yoga DVD. Right now I'm just trying to make a regular habit (and set household expectations that I'm doing it) to get out and walk my dog a few days a week instead of just sticking her in the yard. It seems a better recipe for success to be flexible.

Thanks for the reminder to self care. I'm trying to be more of an adult about it and dig deeper than pedicure or candle lit bath or any of the other surface things Cosmo recommends. So fitness is self care for me, and time to take a walk alone, or a few mins to floss, are For Me things. I'm fortunate to have a supportive and (mostly) helpful husband. I just need to start using my free time for something besides exhausted facebook scrolling.

Yes, I'm published. I'm not actively writing right now because life has been major upheaval for the past year, and before that I spent a year ghostwriting. Prior to that I wrote/published original erotic romance and paranormal romance under two different pen names. My 100 words/day self challenge is an attempt to bring writing back into my life. I won't be providing elder care forever, and when that stage of my life passes, I don't want to have to start at ground zero.

• Like 2

This is a great challenge. I am following along and second the need for some self care! It's easy to neglect ourselves when we focus on others! 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Great challenge goals. I so feel you on life getting in the way of prioritizing yourself.  Following along!

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward. -Amelia Earhart

Current Challenge: Tale of Nettis Clovenmark: CH 1: Stillness 

Ze/Zer/Zers

On 5/26/2018 at 4:21 PM, Bea the Bard said:

I'm not sure how I'm going to keep myself accountable quite yet. Maybe a spreadsheet to track? I'm going to think about that this weekend, and I'll have a system in place by Monday. 

Hi Bea, welcome to the ocmmunity! Great goals.

For accountability I do the following:

Spreadsheets are great, but after a time updating them can get a little annoying, and there is little external accountability here.

Make my goals known to friends and family (Although this annoys the hell out of my wife:))

Track my calories with myfitnesspal - This isn't for everyone, and I don't actually do it to hit specific macro/calorie targets, I just like to see roughly how my diet is doing and what my meals are like.

Create a bodyspace profile to track my weight, measurements, workouts etc.

But this is a good community, and I am sure making some friends here will also help with accountability!