• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

One of the things I've found I've struggled with in the past with trying to lose weight is the impact of my PCOS, and the feeling that it isn't fair that I have that added challenge. So on days when i'm feeling week, that thought is enough to throw me into a tailspin of cookies, donuts, and skipped workouts.

So I'm wondering if there is anyone else here dealing with the same issues? I figure if I've got a superhero team of ladies facing the same challenge, I won't feel alone and singled out by the universe.

• Like 3

One of the things I've found I've struggled with in the past with trying to lose weight is the impact of my PCOS, and the feeling that it isn't fair that I have that added challenge. So on days when i'm feeling week, that thought is enough to throw me into a tailspin of cookies, donuts, and skipped workouts.

So I'm wondering if there is anyone else here dealing with the same issues? I figure if I've got a superhero team of ladies facing the same challenge, I won't feel alone and singled out by the universe.
Here I am! I struggled with it a lot, first because I was blamed that my obesity was the cause and I would have tried to lose weight and failed repeatedly.
Then things went well when I was on the pill, and bad again when I had to stop it.
A mix of aldactone and metformin and inositol brought me back, but yes, I learned to judge my body by its look more than the scale and tracking down my food intake for a while made me discover few things about emotional eating. I now allow myself dark chocolate just before my period (that is miracoulosley regular lately) and I forgive myself 1-2 binge day eating in my fertile window. I also noticed that if I am flirting more I eat less? Without being in a relationship :)
I dunno if it helps as we are all different!
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply : )

I find that during my period is when my eating is at its worst, so  I may try tracking my food intake along with my emotions so see if I can make an connections there. I also need to figure out how to forgive myself for bad eating at my worst points, without forgiving binge eating whenever wherever.

I was on hormonal birth control which helped regulate my period a bit and some of the issues that came along with it, but my hormones ended up way out of whack after my single oophorectomy , so I had to drop that in order to test my hormone levels. Now I've got irregular, super heavy crampy periods which don't make working out any easier. *sigh*

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 12:48 AM, Azukmul gro-Dragnar said:

Summoning @Seraphina as friendly Spirit.

looool I have arrived :P

PCOS sucks. I got off the pill a couple of months ago because it was, uh, catastrophic for my mental health to say the least. I was suicidal all the time. I also gave up on low carb dieting because I can't stick to it. And the moment you're off the rails with low carb when you have PCOS, you gain all the weight back and then some suuuuper fast. 50 pounds in a couple of months fast. No bueno. I definitely haven't responded to the "typical" treatments for PCOS. I've never been on metformin... My bloodwork doesn't produce the numbers to justify it according to my doctors; they always want me to just keep taking the pill. "Just keep taking that drug that makes you want to die 24/7 it's aight." Assholes. Anyway, current doctor who doesn't suck was supportive of me getting off the pill and taking a different approach. Currently trying out a plant-based way of life to see if I feel better and see how my body responds to it. Lurking on the /r/PCOS reddit has helped me stay sane, because the women who don't go low carb can actually see a difference too by just avoiding sugar and refined/processed foods. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen her on recently, but @Cataleya also has had some great posts on her struggles and what is (or is not!) working for her. 

4 hours ago, Seraphina said:

looool I have arrived :P

PCOS sucks. I got off the pill a couple of months ago because it was, uh, catastrophic for my mental health to say the least. I was suicidal all the time. I also gave up on low carb dieting because I can't stick to it. And the moment you're off the rails with low carb when you have PCOS, you gain all the weight back and then some suuuuper fast. 50 pounds in a couple of months fast. No bueno. I definitely haven't responded to the "typical" treatments for PCOS. I've never been on metformin... My bloodwork doesn't produce the numbers to justify it according to my doctors; they always want me to just keep taking the pill. "Just keep taking that drug that makes you want to die 24/7 it's aight." Assholes. Anyway, current doctor who doesn't suck was supportive of me getting off the pill and taking a different approach. Currently trying out a plant-based way of life to see if I feel better and see how my body responds to it. Lurking on the /r/PCOS reddit has helped me stay sane, because the women who don't go low carb can actually see a difference too by just avoiding sugar and refined/processed foods. 

Wow you've certainly had it rough. I'm lucky that birth control didn't have that kind of effect on me, but I have dealt with the dismissive doctors. I was nearly 30 before I was finally diagnosed, after being dismissed repeatedly. Even after I said I had a heavy period for a month straight they told me to just lose weight. When I met my current OBGYN she talked to me for like 10 minutes before telling me I probably had PCOS and giving me actionable steps to try to improve it.

The no carbs route has been hard. I did lose about 30 pounds with the South Beach Diet many years ago, but after gaining the weight back (and then some) it hasn't worked the same. I've tried just avoiding refined sugars etc but it hasn't worked. It's like I have to use an extreme  diet to lose anything at all, and it's not sustainable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elice.Brigadd said:

Wow you've certainly had it rough. I'm lucky that birth control didn't have that kind of effect on me, but I have dealt with the dismissive doctors. I was nearly 30 before I was finally diagnosed, after being dismissed repeatedly. Even after I said I had a heavy period for a month straight they told me to just lose weight. When I met my current OBGYN she talked to me for like 10 minutes before telling me I probably had PCOS and giving me actionable steps to try to improve it.

The no carbs route has been hard. I did lose about 30 pounds with the South Beach Diet many years ago, but after gaining the weight back (and then some) it hasn't worked the same. I've tried just avoiding refined sugars etc but it hasn't worked. It's like I have to use an extreme  diet to lose anything at all, and it's not sustainable.

Omg, I have almost exclusively dealt with dismissive doctors, even though I try to see female doctors as much as I can since (I perceive) they're more open-minded about women's health issues. So far I've been kind of wrong, and it baffles me. Yeaaaah... I have to do a pretty restrictive diet too, but I've tried to gamify it and find foods I really love that won't incur the wrath of my hormones, and it's working alright so far. It's just a really, really slow road on the weight loss front.

I have it, but I actually was relieved that it wasn't MY fault it was so hard to lose weight, it's not MY fault how easily my body gains from carbs. It's the pcos holding me back. I spent a long time blaming my efforts as not good enough and now I at least know it wasn't that I wasn't trying it was that I need a different type of plan because I'm a different type of body. I can't do things like WW and have tons of carbs. I have to do like Paleo or whole thirty. If I start with sugar it snowballs, I have to just avoid it. 

I'm new to the forums and NF... but definitely not new to PCOS. I've been formally diagnosed for about 3-4 years, but have had symptoms since hitting puberty.

Recently, my insulin levels have gotten out of control, and my fasting sugars are not good. I'm on the borderline between prediabetic and diabetic because of my PCOS. They told me if I wasn't on Metformin, I'd be diabetic, but since I'm already on it, it's keeping it 'okay.' 

To be honest, I used to be very good to my body about my PCOS (no dairy, limited gluten, less processed food, took supplements, etc) but after some life stuff and my fibromyalgia flaring up, I started really slacking. 

I have it too. I'm on metmorfin, and I've been told to cut the sugary drinks out by my endocrinologist. I have been also told by her to walk 3km every day. She was also the one who told me that the pill was making my situation actually worse, as I gained the most weight in a shortest period of time when on it. But... my OBGYN previously fat-shamed me, to the point where I was crying, and she was defending the pill. 

I was offered plant based supplement firstly by my doctor, but it was too expensive, even for my too caring mom, so I got metmorfin instead. But, now I stumbled across those pills again, and on another supplement, as I got reminded that someone told me awhile ago that, by their own professional thesis, they work wonders together, I mean, the substances those two supplements have, and I've found out about some medical texts on Google proving the same. But, it's out of reach for me. I researched the PCOS on Google after I got diagnosed, and read what's generally recommended for managing the symptoms but, I had depression and was unwilling to commit to anything. 

I want to start fighting it properly, though, or managing it, at first. I'm in the Academy, but I would like to know what I can do more about it (getting fit), if possible.  

Yep, got diagnosed about a decade ago, and have struggled to lose weight because of it (to the point that I'm at net 0 at the moment).

I was on Metformin at first, but then it became less helpful and ultimately more detrimental to me (last time, it cause some gnarly food aversions to everything I should have been eating, leaving me with essentially only sugar/sugary stuff; uhhh....no). Turns out, I've got pretty severe B12 deficiency, which I suspect was at least exacerbated by the Metformin and might explain the changing reactions I had to it over the years.

I'm working with a holistic doctor that specializes in women's hormonal issues now. It cost a pretty penny, but I finally found someone to run the right tests to get the information needed to get to the heart of my problems and I finally feel like I'm making progress for once, so it is possible!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @Dragonwolf. I'm curious to know what tests your current doctor ran for you. I've been off hormonal birth control for several months now (boy has that been fun :rolleyes:) and I'm supposed to go back to my OBGYN to finally test my hormone levels.

Yep, got diagnosed about a decade ago, and have struggled to lose weight because of it (to the point that I'm at net 0 at the moment).

I was on Metformin at first, but then it became less helpful and ultimately more detrimental to me (last time, it cause some gnarly food aversions to everything I should have been eating, leaving me with essentially only sugar/sugary stuff; uhhh....no). Turns out, I've got pretty severe B12 deficiency, which I suspect was at least exacerbated by the Metformin and might explain the changing reactions I had to it over the years.

I'm working with a holistic doctor that specializes in women's hormonal issues now. It cost a pretty penny, but I finally found someone to run the right tests to get the information needed to get to the heart of my problems and I finally feel like I'm making progress for once, so it is possible!
Are you saying metformin causes vitamin B12 deficiency?
That would explain a huge lot of what is happening on my body!!!
I am on metformin and inositol after wrongly cured PCOS caused a metabolic syndrome. Got fat shamed, and given the pill to resolve syntoms (I was not sexually active). It did resolve syntoms and I lost 10kg, yet developed a blood clot!!
All went well with metformin and inositol together, but I went on the mini-pill and that screw me over... gained 6kg in 3months! So I'm back at square one after the decision to stop the pill.
And I'm also angry that if these were male problems we would have had a solution in the middle ages probably.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Are you saying metformin causes vitamin B12 deficiency?
That would explain a huge lot of what is happening on my body!!!
I am on metformin and inositol after wrongly cured PCOS caused a metabolic syndrome. Got fat shamed, and given the pill to resolve syntoms (I was not sexually active). It did resolve syntoms and I lost 10kg, yet developed a blood clot!!
All went well with metformin and inositol together, but I went on the mini-pill and that screw me over... gained 6kg in 3months! So I'm back at square one after the decision to stop the pill.
And I'm also angry that if these were male problems we would have had a solution in the middle ages probably.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yep, it's a side effect known by the researchers and manufacturers, but that doctors seem to ignore. And we're not talking a small number, either, most reports say 10-30% of Metformin users present with B12 deficiency (the higher the dose and the longer one's taking it, the higher the chance of being deficient), and some think this number is low. It's still a bit up for debate as to why (the prevailing hypothesis has something to do with calcium mediated absorption), but once you're deficient, it's important to start supplementing ASAP to rebuild stores and stop the resulting nerve damage.

And I agree, it's so frustrating that women's issues tend to get ignored in the medical community. :(

17 hours ago, Theria said:

Thanks for the reply @Dragonwolf. I'm curious to know what tests your current doctor ran for you. I've been off hormonal birth control for several months now (boy has that been fun :rolleyes:) and I'm supposed to go back to my OBGYN to finally test my hormone levels.

I had to go to a holistic doctor to get these as everyone else kept running the same basic tests, running me in circles for years, but her tests included:

Stool tests for gut flora imbalances, SIBO, etc

SIBO breath test

DUTCH test (a urine-based test that measures various hormone levels throughout the day, including cortisol AND cortisone, estrogen, testosterone, and a few others that are supposed to vary throughout the day)

Blood test that included the typical metabolic stuff, plus vitamin D, vitamin B12, folate, blood counts, and some others

I'd definitely recommend researching the DUTCH test in particular and talking to your doctor about it, especially if the standard panels say "normal," but you still feel off or things aren't working right. It was the big key for me to get hard numbers on what was going on with my body.