• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

Ink Slingers - NFers in Oge Mai

Welcome friends... @lucky fire dragon... @IAmInfinite... @oromendur... You may have heard about the Elemental Summer Archery Challenge in the forums of 4 the words (4TW). I've called you all together to form an elite group of writers in different stage of their familiarity with Oge Mai. Our mission is to get tons of words on the page. This is a place for us to strategize about the challenge, support each other, and generally chat about what we have going on both in terms of writing and anything that comes up in our minds. Once the challenge actually gets started on 4TW we will likely have a chat there in the forum as well, unless we find that this is easier I suppose. Don't be intimidated! I've seen the power of small groups of nerds banding together before in mini challenges on the site. Every word counts, and we will do amazing things this summer.

medalluciola_sm.pngmedalmamatree_sm.pngmedalthreepointscrossing_sm.pngmedalgantsu_sm.png

Edited to add the list of which monsters count for what element.

Earth
Aracni
Aracnu
Caravan
Gray's Mawt
Grult 
Illi
Lombri
Mawt
Rulo
Tambo
Tylu
Wignow
Ylly

Fire
Assassin
Bruja
Desert Rudakai
Kiru
Rudakai
Suulan
Villager
Yasri

Wind
Arenica 
Frizi
Lorsa
Nitana
Pester 
Reenu
Sparfly

Water
Jairhi
Knusha
Patliadu
Vota
Yala

Heart and Heart Hybrid (NaNo Zone + Special Only)

Xin
Pride Wignow
Snowfell (Heart / Water)
Corvus (Heart / Air)
Speares (Heart / Earth)
Ausjen (Heart / Fire)
Galbraith (Heart / Fire)
Molinos (Heart / Air)
Irise (Heart / Earth)

Magic and Magic Hybrid (NaNo Zone + Special Only)
Ooze House (Magic only)

Tremella (Magic / Fire) 
Suillus (Magic / Air)
Hydnum (Magic / Water)
Tuber (Magic / Earth)
Helvella (Magic / Earth)
Girfola (Magic / Water)
Boletus (Magic / Fire)

Ooze Elements
Spodo - Fire
Otpar - Fire
Fraite - Earth 
Elobre - Air 
Sothai - Air
Zainga - Water
Kenkom - Water
Lekhop - Earth 
Giant Ooze House - Heart

Hybrids 
Desert Wignow (Earth / Air) 
Orsaril (Water / Air)
Kuay (Earth / Fire)
Trainee (Fire / Water) 
Wetu (Earth / Air)

Wyvern (Water/Air)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cad6936208f1ca55f51d4d79530abe5f-md.png

Shall we do some basic introductions to kick things off in here?

My name is annyshay (Shannon IRL). I live in Minnesota. I have a cat named Dragon who gets jealous when I type. I'm mostly journaling at the moment for my writing time but have done little bits and pieces of short stories as well. I also do some of my research writing here for work. Some day I'll be a grown up writer with an actual larger project to work on. Now I'm just establishing the habit of writing. 

• Like 1

Yay! A topic in a forum I've figured out how to use! I still struggle a bit with the UI of 4TW (and I actually rather accidentally lost a battle with a Rudakai yesterday because of it :( ) so thank you very much for setting this up for us.

I am Ambarwen Oromendur (Amber IRL). I live in Southern California (northern San Diego county) and am in the last six months or so of the dissertation phase of my Ph.D in Mythological Studies. I used to do a lot of writing on the side, and I actually sent one of my novels to a publisher back in the day; I got a very nice rejection that said something like "you write really well but we don't think we can sell this, sorry -- feel free to send us your next work." I never followed up on it because things got complicated, I spent several years traveling for work, and when that was over I started graduate school :) I love to do NaNoWriMo every year, though. When I'm done with this bloody dissertation I hope to get back into fiction writing again, and maybe even sending out work again. We'll see. In the meantime, here's hoping 4TW will help me re-establish a solid writing practice.

I'll be traveling for most of the challenge. I should have good internet everywhere, so connectivity shouldn't be a problem, but I may not be able to participate in a bunch of planning or scheming on who fights what, at least not in a timely manner. Feel free to simply assign me monsters to fight. I have access to Luciola Forest and Mama Tree right now; I don't know if I'll get around to doing the Mama Tree quests or not, but if we need another zone opened up I can accelerate that. Just let me know.

This is going to be FUN!!

writing.gif.78e063e71b0cdfdac7a77acc0f1d4a05.gif

• Like 2

Heya everyone! I'm InkOnMyTongue over on 4tw, IAmInfinite here, and Harper IRL. I'm a person with many names, what can I say :P I live in the UK, and am currently on my gap year before going to university. Purple is my favourite colour, and I like to play D&D.

Most of my writing currently comes in the form of RPing that I do, but I'm starting a script for a Podcast about an angel on a road trip with the scientist who was supposed to study them. But I really want to get into the habit of properly writing every single day, for bigger goals. My big issue right now is that I get bogged down in plotting, so I'm trying my hand at a short story every now and then, and letting myself just write for the fun of it, and improve my general skills through that, and actually complete some projects! (No matter how small they are)

As for 4tw, I did to a trial run a while back, but didn't feel like the cost was worth it. Now, I've already gotten myself on a really good streak and I've changed my mind. Only in Mama Tree, though I should have the second quest there completed by tomorrow noon. 

a38d2f7646dd330cce8733fd9fa44da3-md.png

• Like 1

Aweeeeeeesomesauce, thanks for setting it up Lady Shay :cheerful:

Here's my intro

990a1a9da8c13cd44df20b93d085b921-md.png

My name is lucky fire dragon (Gabriele IRL) and I live in Germany. I too have a dragon cat that loves to settle onto my keyboard when she gets jealous, she is called Luna and looks like Toothless :D

I'd love to write a book on meditation and/or breathing as a wonderful bridge into meditation or healing modality that is at hand anytime, and I'd also love to one day learn how to write enchanting fiction. Currently I will pick up journaling again for personal reflection and aim to tackle said meditation book. If anyone is interested and if I gather the courage for it, I'd like to share some writing for the book for constructive criticism and feedback. I usually teach meditation in live groups and have feedback in form of the people present with me, writing is very different to that and a whole new adventure that sometimes feels a bit wobbly to me.

• Like 1

oh yes, forgot to mention: I have currently access up to 3 Point Crossing. Will be travelling during August and not sure how much (if at all) I can contribute then, so I will do my best before then :)

• Like 1

Oh man. This really tempts me to try 4TW again. I mostly write longhand, but obviously in order to share it, I need to digitize it at some point along the way. Hm. At the moment, I'm mostly doing journaling and occasionally notes for the novel I plan to return to. My primary creative project of late is trying to do more narrative updates for my NF Books of Vries. I like that it's a small, friendly audience in which I can practice new styles with.

That said, I haven't exactly succeeded at writing those narrative posts yet >_>;

17 minutes ago, oromendur said:

I used to do a lot of writing on the side, and I actually sent one of my novels to a publisher back in the day; I got a very nice rejection that said something like "you write really well but we don't think we can sell this, sorry -- feel free to send us your next work.

This happened to me as well >_< I'm trying to accept that maybe I just write weird, niche stuff and mainstream publication is not my future. (I have self-published a series, it hasn't sold much but the people who have read it seem to have liked it.)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

I need to digitize it at some point along the way.

You can input lorem ipsum from a character generator. You miss some of the time part of the game, but that's not a huge deal. 

34 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I'd like to share some writing for the book for constructive criticism and feedback.

I would definitely be up to read and give feedback!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, oromendur said:

When I'm done with this bloody dissertation I hope to get back into fiction writing again, and maybe even sending out work again.

Fair enough. Work writing can really suck up a lot of time.

• Like 1

Also, seriously guys don't worry about the zones or being gone here and there. This is for fun! I've got access to pretty much all the zones, so I can be our scouting party. ;)

And, I'm totally planning to post a lot because I love 4TW and nobody in real life will nerd out with me about it. 

Also also, expect random pictures from 4TW and elsewhere. I like to plaster pretty things in threads. Hehe.

Can you feel my hype?! So excited!!!

Finally, I told CoffeeQuills (the fine person running the challenge) that I would be our team leader, but let me know if anybody else would rather take the reigns.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

My primary creative project of late is trying to do more narrative updates for my NF Books of Vries. I like that it's a small, friendly audience in which I can practice new styles with.

That said, I haven't exactly succeeded at writing those narrative posts yet >_>;

Those works are generally typed, right? Or do you write them longhand and then type them into NF? Either way, you could type them into 4TW and then cut-and-paste them over -- I've found myself doing that when my dissertation work is more reading than writing and I don't want to lose a streak. Like, you know, today :) It's making me post more on the forums too. 

24 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

I'm trying to accept that maybe I just write weird, niche stuff and mainstream publication is not my future. (I have self-published a series, it hasn't sold much but the people who have read it seem to have liked it.)

Same, except for the self-publishing -- I just haven't been able to get my act together to do that. Maybe I will someday. Almost all my readers loved that novel and its sequel, but, well, they're weird like me ʘ‿ʘ. The ones that didn't, though, were (to use my nephew's term) normies, and there are a lot more of them in the world (sigh).

I'm not ready to commit to anything like this right now, but I might be interested down the road in some sort of NF critique group. In the meantime, I'm going to use last year's NaNo coupon to buy a few months of 4TW and see if I can make it work for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Can you feel my hype?! So excited!!!

Finally, I told CoffeeQuills (the fine person running the challenge) that I would be our team leader, but let me know if anybody else would rather take the reigns.

All the hype! :D And I think you're the perfect person to head our charge forwards!!

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

If anyone is interested and if I gather the courage for it, I'd like to share some writing for the book for constructive criticism and feedback. I usually teach meditation in live groups and have feedback in form of the people present with me, writing is very different to that and a whole new adventure that sometimes feels a bit wobbly to me.

That sounds really cool and I'd be up for it, when you get there. 

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

Oh man. This really tempts me to try 4TW again.

Doooo iittttt.

My primary creative project of late is trying to do more narrative updates for my NF Books of Vries. 

Nerd Fitness Book of Vries? Or something else? What's it about??

AMEN.

Honestly I don't know how pantser do it. I can sort of start, but if I don't know what the characters want or what sort of threat there is, or anything like that, I get really worried that it will all become disjointed and I don't know what I'm writing. However, when I plan, I keep on refining the plan and don't actually write. So I'm hoping short stories will help me bridge that gap. Let me write freely with the plot coming together, but also being able to think of small plots and executing them as well. I want to get into the habit of finishing, so short and sweet is the way I'm going!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

My primary creative project of late is trying to do more narrative updates for my NF Books of Vries. 

Nerd Fitness Book of Vries? Or something else? What's it about??

Yes, Nerd Fitness challenges--I've been wanting to practice more creative non-fiction/memoir type writing about my travels and adventures and life times, and it seems like a good place to do it. The people here are supportive and it feels less public than an actual blog. I just need to actually start using my notes to write them up XD 

1 hour ago, oromendur said:

Those works are generally typed, right? Or do you write them longhand and then type them into NF? Either way, you could type them into 4TW and then cut-and-paste them over -- I've found myself doing that when my dissertation work is more reading than writing and I don't want to lose a streak. Like, you know, today :) It's making me post more on the forums too. 

Yes, things that are intended for online consumption (like forum posts, etc.) tend to be just typed up and initial notes may be in Evernote, although I may use handwritten notes. Fiction tends to be longhand all the way to the final draft. Since Rowan came around, though, I find I type up notes more often than longhand. It's just less fussing around with uncapping pens and fiddling with getting to the right page, and all of that. Still, I do miss my pen to paper.

You can input lorem ipsum from a character generator. You miss some of the time part of the game, but that's not a huge deal. 

Ah! I do this for NaNoWriMo. The timed bits could be a problem anyway with Rowan causing distraction at any moment XD 

I'll investigate and see about making a new account ^_^

... er, I also realize I just sort of invited myself to the challenge. 

• Like 2

... er, I also realize I just sort of invited myself to the challenge. 

You're more than welcome. The official challenge is in the thread above and the groups are for four people. That said, we'll probably do all our fun and games over here. :)

2 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

I want to get into the habit of finishing, so short and sweet is the way I'm going!

Oh yes. That's also a great way of framing the habit.

5 minutes ago, annyshay said:

You're more than welcome. The official challenge is in the thread above and the groups are for four people. That said, we'll probably do all our fun and games over here. :)

Even if I don't do the official challenge, I'm excited about a group of writerly sorts chatting, especially a bunch of people I like ^_^

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

Even if I don't do the official challenge, I'm excited about a group of writerly sorts chatting, especially a bunch of people I like ^_^

And we're excited to have you!!!

• Like 1

One of these guys wandered into Three Points Crossing, so of course I had to battle him. Now I need more words... 

tambo_md.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Welcome aboard!

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

One of these guys wandered into Three Points Crossing, so of course I had to battle him. Now I need more words... 

Tbh one of my other goals on 4tw is to complete the beastiary ... (it's a lot of words my word)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Tbh one of my other goals on 4tw is to complete the beastiary ... (it's a lot of words my word)

Gotta catch em all! Some of them are from special events though, so you'll have to be patient. I myself have a bit over half. 

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Thanks for being our captain @annyshay I'd follow you into any adventure with full faith!

We will rock this :)

Getting excited over here, squeee

*aggressive blushing*

• Like 1