Daryl of Barbaria Returns To Action

I've been away from NF for at least two challenge cycles. I'm aiming to rebuild my routine again, with of mix of some of the old with some that is new.

Fitness, peace of mind, self-care...these are my goals. And hopefully some fun and reconnecting with people along the way.

Daily Plan

1. Qigong. I feel I have had good results recently with a simple standing qigong, in place of daily meditation. http://www.taijiworld.com/qigong-exercise.html

2. 10,000 walking steps throughout the day (according to my fitbit).

3. Practice throwing my tomahawk. This is a new pastime of mine. So long as it is feasible (acceptable weather, equipment in order, no injury), I will practice every day.

Weekly Plan

1. 3x/ wk pull-ups and bodyweight squats. Using the grease-the-groove approach, at least 5 sets of 3 pull-ups and 10 squats throughout the day. More if feasible. I hope to increase pull-up ability.

2. 3x/ wk yoga. I have a short routine of 5 basic postures that help my lower back, the idea being to undo the damage that sitting does. Do this on days I don't do pull-ups/ squats.

3. 1x/ wk sauna and hot tub evening. On Thursdays I go to the YMCA for self-care and to sooth any tense muscles. It's a new routine, but I think it will be around for a while.

REBOOT FOR WEEK THREE (edited 6/10/2018)

Daily Plan

1. Tomahawk throwing.

2. 10,000 steps according to my fitbit.

3. Qigong.

4. Yoga.

Weekly Plan

1. Go to the YMCA on Thursdays for the hot tub and sauna.

That is all.

• Like 3

Daryl of Barbaria - Ranger / Footpad

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

I love sauna! What a great challenge. I haven’t been active on NF in years (so many), so let’s kick off our reappearance with a solid four weeks! 

• Like 1

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

10 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

. And now for a beer. Yeah, maybe not the most druid-ish, enlightened thing to do, but I've had a long day.

We make our own paths and set our own rules!

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

I made it through another difficult day, only falling short on the walking (by about 2,000 steps). The weather cooperated just long enough to get my tomahawk throwing in. I also managed to get my pull-ups and squats done, despite a late state and a massively debilitating headache that kept me out of action most of the afternoon and evening.

Only three days into this challenge, and I'm already feeling the positive effects of the pull-ups/ squats and yoga on my lower back and knees. It's amazing what a little consistency can do for a person. I also make a point to hold a squatting position for a minute or so after each set, trying to become as relaxed as I possibly can. The idea here being a return to a more "primal" self, how we as humans supposedly sat/ rested before we came up with the infernal idea of sitting in chairs. This coupled with the pull-ups, it's sort of a way of tapping into those "primal" skills of hanging/ suspending from an overhead grip, and squatting down. Big to small. Expand to contract.

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

So I popped home today for lunch, happy to see two big packages on the front steps, then ultimately disappointed when neither one was the pair of tomahawks I had ordered. Oh well. A few more days then. At least I was able to get some practice in over lunch with my current hawk.

I thought I'd show off my little backyard setup for hawk throwing. Inspired by https://tomahawkguys.wordpress.com/

hawk%20setup%202_zpsjfill506.jpg

• Like 1

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

16 hours ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

So I popped home today for lunch, happy to see two big packages on the front steps, then ultimately disappointed when neither one was the pair of tomahawks I had ordered. Oh well. A few more days then. At least I was able to get some practice in over lunch with my current hawk.

I thought I'd show off my little backyard setup for hawk throwing. Inspired by https://tomahawkguys.wordpress.com/

hawk%20setup%202_zpsjfill506.jpg

Cool setup!! 

Thanks for the qigong link! 

I've been reading the "Urban Monk" and he talks alot about it.  

Glad your getting your goals! 

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Hitting everything by the marks today: tomahawk throwing (a lot), 10,000 steps, qigong, and yoga. Even with a generous amount of yard work in the mix, and attending an ice-skating party that the whole family was invited too. I imagine these things helped along that 10,000 steps in the fitbit goal. ;) 

And now the backyard looks moderately tidy. No more lawn-mullet.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

My posting has been dormant for a few days. Obviously. I guess life has thrown a few curve balls. My overall health hasn't been the greatest. Even my tomahawk throwing arm has been sore, in need of rest. Maybe I should learn to throw with the left as well. Anyway, I've at least been able to keep up on the qigong. If nothing else, there is that.

If I end up rebooting a portion of this challenge, it will probably result in more of a focus on yoga, while reducing the pull-up routine (which has been good in most ways, but very taxing on overall energy levels). Qigong will stay, of course. As well the tomahawk throwing, though I am seeing the need for occasional rest days. And the walking 10,000 steps is still a good goal to always strive for, even if I fall short of it most days.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

On 6/7/2018 at 6:56 AM, MaD MaLKaV said:

Did you're new tomahawks ever arrive, or are they still in mail limbo?

Yesterday. They are a MASSIVE upgrade. Heavier, tougher metal, and a longer haft. They stick much nicer, and travel farther per rotation.

tomahawks_zpsvrjx5sx7.jpg

On 6/7/2018 at 11:16 AM, Rainelf said:

How did you get into tomahawk throwing? Sounds fun though

I got into knife throwing last summer, just by digging up an old set of knives I bought years ago and playing with them. I then starting making my own throwing spikes from nails. I learned that bigger, heavier ones were easier and more satisfying to throw. Tomahawks seemed a natural evolution of that. I was gifted my SOG Fasthawk at Christmas, finally got around to throwing it this spring, and have been hooked ever since. I like that fact that I can set up a reasonable and safe throwing area in my backyard. Unlike, say, archery (which I also like), where I have to go to a dedicated archery range.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

The challenge is going to need a bit of a reboot after this week. It's been a hard week, plagued by work sucking a lot of my available bandwidth, and near daily headaches. I've maintained the daily qigong, and am getting my 10,000 walking steps most days. And with the arrival of my tomahawks yesterday, I'm back in action on that front. I've decided to start learning to throw with my left, non-dominant had as well. Because the right gets sore from daily throwing, and simply because I think it would be cool to be near-ambidextrous with throwing hawks.

Reboot will likely keep the daily routines, with more focus on yoga and maybe sitting meditation, versus the straight-forward strength/ body-weight training. I feel like I'm needing something with more balance, moderation, and healing. Yoga fits the bill. Always has.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Completed my qigong, 10,000 steps, tomahawk throwing, and this time with yoga in the mix. Much needed yoga. Boy was I stiff! I also took some time to make a few repairs to my tomahawk throwing backstop. It was suffering from the long-term effects of wind and gravity, not to mention the heavier weight of my new tomahawks.

I think the new routine will simply be a daily ritual of tomahawk throwing, 10,000 steps, qigong and yoga. Consider my challenge officially re-booted. On to week three!

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"

Looks like we are blessed with thunderstorms for most of the day. Hail Thor!

Anyway, that certainly puts a damper on my usual outdoor stuff. But there is plenty to focus on indoors. The tomahawk throwing has gotten me thinking about some kind of modest strength training to improve the muscular endurance of my arms. Maybe something that mimics the weight of a the hawk (a haft with something heavy at the end), perhaps a bit heavier for training purposes, but without the sharp bit of course, for indoor safety.

"Smart-aleck jaybird!"