Return of Koo: In Which Haikoo Cultivates Some Discipline

Haikoo

The past couple years have been rough on the ol' discipline. Between Mr. Koo's chronic illness and trying to take care of the family, my own health has slid out of focus. In honor of my 6 year Nerdiversary, it's time to start reigning that back in with a simple challenge aimed mostly at just developing some solid habits again.

Goals:

1. Exercise at least 4x/wk
Right now i'm at a solid 2 (usually). Time to dial it up. Any workout including walking for 30 or more minutes counts.

2. Track my food
 I was going good with this for a few weeks and faltered. Time to pick it back up. It was really helping me to keep things in check and just be aware of what I am eating in general. This is a baby step toward cleaning up my eating. (I will start tracking my food tomorrow 5/29. Blah blah blah holiday blah blah blah cookout blah)

3. Develop a weekly planning habit 
Being that my schedule is really inconsistent, this is the time on Saturday or Sunday when I will sit down and plan out the next week. Meals will be planned, exercise will be planned, and appointments reviewed.

4. For Funsies--Practice Duolingo Spanish 6x/wk 
I keep saying I want to learn a language. I had started with Russian because of personal ties, but realized it was impractical because there is literally no chance of being able to really use it. Spanish is much more practical and I can see it being useful in my future.

• Like 7

STR 7.2 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.8 | CON 8.4 | WIS 5.55 | CHA 5.5

Most Recent Challenge

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Welcome back! And First! I just realized you joined NF about 3 months before I did.

Yea, I've been around a long time, but have always been kind of a forum unknown :) Now that the chat room died I feel kind of lost w/ out my NF peeps. But here I am!

1 minute ago, Devyn said:

Weekly review changed my life. I can't live without it now. Awesome plan! Support Mojo to you!

Thanks! I am just now moving from a bullet journal to passion planner because, while I adore the bullet journal, I am in a place where what I want to do with it just takes a little more energy than I have right now. It'll be nice to see the whole week at a glance.

• Like 3

Most Recent Challenge

I AM SO PLEASED.

Just look how happy my avatar is.

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

Dang Koo! WB! Happy almost 6 year NF Anniversary!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

KOO!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how one can loose track of their health and wellness while trying to take care of others.  I'm glad to hear you are starting to focus on you and look forward to seeing you crush these goals.

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

17 hours ago, Hammlin said:

Dang Koo! WB! Happy almost 6 year NF Anniversary!

Thanks! You must be gettin up there in years, too *snicker*

I feel REALLY old, though, when I realize it's going to be Mr. Koo's and my 20th anniversary in August. O.O

9 hours ago, mitch_dee said:

KOO!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how one can loose track of their health and wellness while trying to take care of others.  I'm glad to hear you are starting to focus on you and look forward to seeing you crush these goals.

MItch Deeeee (and the weekly top Fortyyyyy...er....yea)

Is  good to see you!

18 hours ago, klaybae said:

I AM SO PLEASED.

Just look how happy my avatar is.

I do-nut know how your avatar could be happier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most Recent Challenge

Welcome back! 

• Like 1

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

22 hours ago, Devyn said:

Weekly review changed my life. I can't live without it now. Awesome plan! Support Mojo to you!

Hey there! Do you have a challenge up?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, TGP said:

hello!

congrats on the anniversary.

what exercises, specifically, do you do?

Ohhh that question...LOL  I am the Rangerest of Rangers with true Ranger ADD as we used to call it. I have done a bit of almost everything over the years. I have learned after many tries that I DETEST running. I love lifting, but I stopped that  months ago because my back is not right and my knees are not right so they are giving me trouble. Right now I am mostly just doing classes at the gym because I don't have to think about it. Mainly Turbokick and Yoga. Going to be walking more this challenge, in an attempt to get my knees to play nice. Also, I'm thinking about starting some karate classes over the summer. My kid's school is having a special for moms all summer long. I would like to get back to some lifting, but I can't seem to get my back to play nice, no matter how much I know about form and such. 

1 hour ago, darkfoxx said:

Welcome back! 

58 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back!

Thanks!! good to be here :)

• Like 2

Most Recent Challenge

I haven't quit yet! (Thank goodness, as it's only day 3)

Quick recap:

Week 1.1

Memorial day. I already knew it was going to be near impossible to track my calories. So I didn't even try. I didn't go crazy overboard, but I certainly wasn't within my calorie allowance. No huge deal. No exercise and crud I just realized I completely forgot about my Duolingo goal! OOPS! Guess I start that today.

I did do my planning on Monday eve (didn't do it all weekend because we had company). 

Week 1.2

1-Exercise:

-Took a 47 minute walk! It was hot and I live in a hilly neighborhood, so got my sweat on.

2-Food:

-Calories tracked and I came in under for the day--surprising as I met a friend for lunch and it's always hard with restaurant food. 

3: The Plan:

-Stuck to the meal plan (or at least didn't eat out--traded making egg salad for eating leftovers because we ended up with a bunch of leftover food Mr. Koo's parents sent home w/ us from the cookout).

-I am loving the new planner! I can see everything at a glance including appointments and to dos! <3

4: Spanish

-Oops! As I suddenly remembered above, I completely forgot about my Spanish goal. Will work that in today!!

Random Thoughts

-G's (son) karate school is having a special for karate moms--classes all summer long at a really reasonable rate! I think I'm going to try it out! It starts June 1st. I've always wanted to give Martial Arts a try.

-I have a weird rash. It's in a lot of places, I think it's related to maybe sweat or heat ? i have had some little marks for a while, but it was unusually hot in WI this past week and it suddenly got a lot worse. E-mailed doctor and he is getting me in today to look at it. 

-Did I tell you guys Mr. Koo and I are going on an Alaskan cruise for our Anniversary in August??? SO EXCITE!! Just hoping his health holds out :)

-You guys, I'm about to become the parent a high schooler. WTAF? 

-Oh and those 2 little babies who are now almost as big as me? They'll be in middle school. No more elementary. Where even did the time go???

• Like 4

Most Recent Challenge

Karate sounds like so much fun! 

Can your humans please stop growing up. Holy crap. 

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

I'm still here!

Time to do a week 1 recap. Probably easier just to check in on the actual goals once per week and just do my rambling the rest of the time.

Week 1 Review:

1. Exercise at least 4x/wk -  Done plus 1!
Rocked this one! This is the best exercise week I've had probably since before Mr. Koo got sick (almost 3 years ago).
Looked like this:
Tues: Walk - 47 min, 2.8 mi
Wed:  Turbokick class @ gym - 70 min
Thur:  Walk - 30 min, 1.7 mi
Fri:  Walk w/ friend - 1 hr 7 min, 4.2 mi
Sat: Karate conditioning class - 30 min

2. Track my food - Got 3 of 7 days
This one was not so great. Tis the season of cookouts and potlucks. I had about 4 out of 7 days where I went to such events and it quickly became impossible to track exactly what I was eating. I tried to make decent choices, but I'm sure I went over on actual calories. Hopefully my great week of exercise will balance most of it out. 

3. Develop a weekly planning habit - Done!
I got this one done on Monday of last week. We stuck to our dinner plan all week,  I checked off almost all my to-dos, and was able to review and replan during the week when things had to be shifted around. Really loving the Passion Planner!

4. For Funsies--Practice Duolingo Spanish 6x/wk - 1 of 6 days
Almost full failure on this one. I practiced once. It was a really full week, but really I just keep forgetting to do it. 

• Like 4

Most Recent Challenge

Last night I had my first real karate class. It was so much fun! Came home and practiced the series I learned  (part of the To San form) until I got it memorized. In reality, it's more of a mixed martial arts school, but they do a lot of karate. I really hope my joints do okay with it all because I would love to stick with it! It's great, too, because my son is a few belts ahead of me, so he can help me (taught me to tie my belt last night). This makes him (an 11 yo) pretty proud, I think, to be able to teach ME something :) Super cute.   It felt strange to be in the uniform, but I'll get used to it!

Today I am getting a massage!!! I have had a gift certificate for almost 2 years and kept putting it off. Finally I realized I had only ONE free day left before the kids are out of school and there was one appointment left. Perfect!  I haven't had a professional massage since 2015. 

Happy Tuesday!

• Like 5

Most Recent Challenge

HELLO, MY FRIENDO!!!!!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

22 hours ago, Haikoo said:

Last night I had my first real karate class. It was so much fun! Came home and practiced the series I learned  (part of the To San form) until I got it memorized. In reality, it's more of a mixed martial arts school, but they do a lot of karate. I really hope my joints do okay with it all because I would love to stick with it! It's great, too, because my son is a few belts ahead of me, so he can help me (taught me to tie my belt last night). This makes him (an 11 yo) pretty proud, I think, to be able to teach ME something :) Super cute.   It felt strange to be in the uniform, but I'll get used to it!

Today I am getting a massage!!! I have had a gift certificate for almost 2 years and kept putting it off. Finally I realized I had only ONE free day left before the kids are out of school and there was one appointment left. Perfect!  I haven't had a professional massage since 2015. 

Happy Tuesday!

I'm really so excited about this! Boba is interested in starting martial arts of some sort, and I would love to as well. That is so special that he can take point on something with you! Do you have to wear a gi? 

20 hours ago, raptron said:

HELLO, MY FRIENDO!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH /happyscream

Kooooorate.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1