Mike D Battles Nature

Mike_d85

I bought a house!!

1366.gif

So, I need to make some priority out of getting my home in order and get into the groove of working out, commuting and eating right. 

My commute has gotten a little longer and a lot less reliable (based on one week of commuting I’ve done thus far).  I’ve got a buffet of options open to myself and my wife including commuter rail, bus, and car ride.  I need to weigh the pros and cons of each and get it stabilized so I can get some work outs in some time.

caddyshack-1.gif

Being summer I need to focus on getting the jungle in my backyard tamed and the lawn cut reasonably for the next few weeks.  We have almost a solid acre of hilly grass and the previous owners couldn’t keep up with the landscaping.  Memorial Day weekend will included the purchase of a chainsaw and an extraordinary amount of yard work.  Hopefully by the end of the challenge I will have things down to maintenance level before jumping into setting up our own plans.  Right now my yard is about 20% maintained (I managed to run over the overgrown weeds with a lawn mower and pull a few weeds).  I want the yard to 100% maintenance.  Weeds pulled, lawn mown (evenly), edges weed-whacked, trees trimmed/cut down.

3b174629baa07e3b98702e2bc980f79c.jpg

I still want to try and get bigger by the end of the year, but right now I need to focus on maintaining my food plans and getting food for the week planned, purchased and prepped.  I want to gain muscle mass, not a layer of blubber.  Unfortunately for my celiac-ridden self I accidentally moved to some kind of gluten free Shangri-La.  Chinese food less than a mile away and fried chicken with fries and onion rings a few miles the opposite direction. 

id-keep-playing.jpg

As if I weren't doing enough, I also want to maintain my running endurance so I need to get some runs in.  With the major landscaping I’d say I need to limit myself to about 15k a month.

Goals:

Commute: At work on time for summer hours and commute planned for the rest of the year.

Yard Projects: 1 major project per week minimum.

Food: Plan meals and prep lunches/breakfasts

Exercise: Run a minimum of 15k per week.  That’s low, but I’m doing a lot of exercise with the yard work.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Well this did not go well this week.  Weather reports said it would rain over the weekend so I figured I should mow the lawn instead of running Thursday night.  Then I got sick all weekend with a stomach bug and that killed my yard chores about halfway through and my running all together.  Oh, then I cut off part of my finger.  So there's that.

Goals:

Commute: At work on time for summer hours and commute planned for the rest of the year.  I got a full commuter rail pass and I love it, but hate the cost.  The wife is now liking taking the train to work so I guess this is going to be an ongoing luxury that works really well for us.  That was easy, but I shouldn't plan on getting a second car in the foreseeable future.

Yard Projects: 1 major project per week minimum.  1/2 credit.  I started felling trees before the rain pushed in but I got sick.  Also since I filleted my fingernail I probably cant get a big project done this week.  Fingers crossed I can get the lawn mowed.

Food: Plan meals and prep lunches/breakfasts.  1/2 credit.  I planned on making breakfasts which is stupid because I don't have time for that.  I made myself lunch for the week.

Exercise: Run a minimum of 15k per week.  That’s low, but I’m doing a lot of exercise with the yard work.  I'd be generous giving myself 5k. 

My Battle Log 

Heeeey you bought a house!  That's awesome!!!

Image result for i'm awesome dance gif

Your yard work goal is...impressive.  Props for having the courage to dream big.  I have a tiny, tiny garden and my goal for the summer is to get it to 50% maintained.  Which would be better than last year.  

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Hope it heals easily.  Damn fingers, why they always gotta be where the dangerous action is???

• Like 1

Man, Patrick Stewart is a goldmine of reaction gifs.

Goals:

Commute: At work on time for summer hours and commute planned for the rest of the year.  Plugging along and I get to keep my summer hours!  Sweet.  I do want to figure out something to shave it down to have time to run and lift more during the week.

Yard Projects: 1 major project per week minimum.  No, but I'm giving myself credit anyway.  I got the lawn mowed and we bought at $75 antique dining room table and got it clean and oiled.  A shot of polyeurethane on the base and it should be ready to assemble and put in our dining room until it breaks in spectacular fashion (the tabletop is cracked severely)

Food: Plan meals and prep lunches/breakfasts.  Done.  My breakfasts are boring and I want to find a way to eat at work easily so I can maybe get a short run in before my morning commute.  Probably not until fall, though since I have to leave for the train station before 6am.

Exercise: Run a minimum of 15k per week.  That’s low, but I’m doing a lot of exercise with the yard work.  Not a thing.  I was still sick monday and worried about getting the blood up on my finger later in the week.  A run is planned for tomorrow night, though.

• Like 1

My Battle Log