• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood - Starting Over

inigo.jpg

When the job went wrong...well you probably know the rest.  B)

And wrong it has gone.  Those of you following probably have a good picture of what's up.  I just haven't been myself lately, at least not the good version of myself.  I've let things get so far out of my control that I feel like a passenger in my own life.  It's time to start taking the reins again.  But after several crash-and-burn efforts I've decided to simplify this challenge to just the two most effective things I can do to start putting my fitness back on the right track:  I'm going to eat, and I'm going to sleep.  I've developed some terrible patterns and habits in these two areas, so this challenge needs to be a step toward bringing those back in line with what I want my life to be.  My hope is that I can rebalance myself physically and start a cascade of improvements in other areas as well.

Obviously there's a little more to it than that, but my SMART goals are to simply direct my nutrition in a way that promotes fat loss and to pursue sleep as a means to improve my overall well-being.  For the first goal my specific measurement will simply be calorie intake, but I'm also going to be careful about the quality of those calories.  Counting works for me, and I want the structure of a programmed daily target.  For the second goal my specific measurement will be to log each night's actual bedtime.  Again, I think the structure of daily targets will help me regain better sleep habits.

For the first time in quite a while I have a spreadsheet to track my progress, and I'm actually excited about it instead of daunted by the prospect.  I'm sure life (to say nothing of my current disposition) will take a giant steaming dump all over this challenge at some point, but when that happens I'm counting on y'all to hold me accountable and help me stay the course.

Vizzini is dead.  I'm going to go find the Man in Black.

• Like 11

Excited about the return of the DFG spreadsheet! Also I can totally commiserate on the needing to adjust your sleep habits.  It really affects absolutely everything I hope you can get it under control!

Also, are you getting creative with 24 hour time formatting and saying 345AM is 2745?

• Like 2

Nothing like a good spreadsheet to get you going. Your goals look solid and simple enough. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following for support.

Glad to have you along, as always, sir.

17 hours ago, Raxie said:

Excited about the return of the DFG spreadsheet! Also I can totally commiserate on the needing to adjust your sleep habits.  It really affects absolutely everything I hope you can get it under control!

Also, are you getting creative with 24 hour time formatting and saying 345AM is 2745?

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century; that life would've been easier when we followed the daily rhythm of the sun.  On the other hand, I really like living in the future.

Hopefully that's the only instance where I'll need to be creative.  I really don't want to be up that late, ever.  But yeah, marking time that way makes the conditional formatting easier in my spreadsheet. :D

17 hours ago, Terah said:

Nothing like a good spreadsheet to get you going. Your goals look solid and simple enough. 

Good luck! 

I'm pretty good at following a plan and pretty terrible at working without one.  Hopefully this one gets me back in the mode.

17 hours ago, deftona said:

Here, of course. Give me a yell if you need anything. 

You know what I'll yell...

0FpW69N.jpg

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

b005883df9321c89b87cc1a11b5cc0c8.jpg

(I don’t really, but I’m trying to be supportive.)

It's okay, I love them enough for the both of us.  ;)

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

gif-princess-bride-thats-wonderful.gif

YESSSSSSS!!!!!! I LOVE INIGO! We're going to have so much imagery fun here. :) I WANT TO BE FEZZIK! :D

I could use a Fezzik. B)

MTDHEHb.gif

• Like 5

W1-Wednesday:  after being stupid on Tuesday I finally put my challenge plan together and got working on my goals.  I'm pleased to say Wednesday was a much better day.  I ate leftover chicken stir-fry for lunch, then I snacked on way too many packages of chips and crackers during a long work day--I'm working OT to finish up a project.  At home dinner was baked spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and Italian sausage links.  MFP says I was just a bit under target, and I'm content with that.  I didn't do any additional snacking after dinner, and I didn't have any sugar or soda cravings all day.  I've been sticking to water since returning from the weekend trip.

I didn't have much time at home after work, but I managed to update the household finances and talk to MFG about getting control of our spending.  I did a bit of guitar practice, then the kids and I watched some videos until their bedtime.  After tucking them in I stayed upstairs to fold and put away laundry, then I brushed my teeth and hopped in bed well before 10.  I watched a couple episodes of The Office before turning everything off at 10:30.  I woke this morning at quarter to six (a full hour before my alarm) so I did some additional self-care (when was the last time I put lotion on my feet?) before heading in to work 1/2 hour early.  I'm still tired, but I'm feeling much better today.  A few nights like that in a row and I should be back in a good mindset to start addressing a few more changes.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I'm going to go find the Man in Black.

Related image

4 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

At home dinner was baked spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and Italian sausage links

YUM!

5 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

I did a bit of guitar practice

You're doing better than me here. I'm gonna use you as inspiration :) 

5 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

A few nights like that in a row and I should be back in a good mindset to start addressing a few more changes

I believe in your, dude! It was so good seeing you last weekend, BTW. I'm glad you and the FeelGoodFam made it home safely. 

Wolf

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

marking time that way makes the conditional formatting easier in my spreadsheet. :D

I figured that was the case but I wasn't sure if I was just reading it wrong and you were trying to say something else hahah

28 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

I managed to update the household finances and talk to MFG about getting control of our spending

28 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

(when was the last time I put lotion on my feet?)

Between these two things and the sleep issues, I feel like we are living the same life right now.

• Like 2

so easy to get derailed.

and I agree that there is the power to change the world with spreadsheets!

41KYCpVnAbL._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

You're doing better than me here. I'm gonna use you as inspiration :) 

I believe in your, dude! It was so good seeing you last weekend, BTW. I'm glad you and the FeelGoodFam made it home safely.

I've been listening to a lot of Foo Fighters, which is helping me stay a little more motivated lately.  Fun songs to play.

It was great seeing you, too.  Who doesn't love eating waffles and whacking balls?  :D

23 hours ago, Raxie said:

I figured that was the case but I wasn't sure if I was just reading it wrong and you were trying to say something else hahah

Between these two things and the sleep issues, I feel like we are living the same life right now.

Wavelengths; we share them. B)

19 hours ago, TGP said:

so easy to get derailed.

and I agree that there is the power to change the world with spreadsheets!

I've been derailing myself pretty frequently and for a long time.  I've added my weight graph (since Aug 2012) to my spreadsheet post, and hoo-boy can you definitely read the periods of my life in that line.

I'm content to change myself. :)

...for now, that is.  World domination will happen later.

• Like 6

W1-Thursday: a minor backslide, but I caught it before doing too much damage to my plan.  Eating was well under control.  I fasted until lunch, then I ate my leftover portion of spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and mild Italian sausage.  That kept me sated until dinner, which was grilled pork loin chops and sauteed green beans.  I had to eat my dinner quickly since the AHG girls were coming over for a goodbye party, and the boys and I were keen to beat feet outta there.  During our evening outings we stopped in at the ice-cream shoppe (fancy) for some treats and bonding, and I had a double scoop of butter pecan in a waffle cone.  That closed out my day well under target and with a considerable deficit even with my current sedentary lifestyle.

In terms of activity it was another long work day, then I headed home to scarf dinner and take the boys out for the evening.  We started with the local video game shops so Brick could negotiate some trades with his old unwanted gear.  He ended up square on a deal with two brand new 3DS titles and a Dr. Mario amiibo.  After that we spent some time at the ice cream shoppe (fancy) just enjoying our cones and each other's company.  I stopped on the way back to the house to quickly wash my car, then I spent a few minutes drying/buffing it in the driveway as the AHG party was winding down.  I took care of a few household things, including e-depositing the final tax-refund check with my credit union's app (I love living in the future), then thought I'd do some training in Rocket League before bed.  Training turned in to "just" 3 games, which morphed into 5 games, which then evolved into finishing my placement (10 games) for the new season in 3v3, which then became earning my Gold rewards (10 more wins); all of which took 26 games and a little under 4 hours in total.  I should've caught myself sooner, but at least I recognized that I was escalating and cut it off at 1:30 am.  I'm tired today but not exhausted, and I will not be playing any Rocket League tonight.  It's way too easy to stay up late with "just one more" ad infinitum.

• Like 6

On 5/31/2018 at 9:17 AM, Raxie said:

I feel like we are living the same life right now.

I suddenly have the urge to see DFG do the foxtrot since you guys are one in the same ;) 

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

It was great seeing you, too.  Who doesn't love eating waffles and whacking balls?  :D

Heck yeah man!! I look forward to the next time we can hang out :) 

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

It's way too easy to stay up late with "just one more" ad infinitum

Oh man! I've been there so many time, dude! Even to the point where i'm hitting the hay around 330-4 AM. Mind you this is on the weekends, it still baffles me how time escapes me like that lol. At least you got Gold Rewards :) 

Related image

Next stop...PLATNIUM!

Image result for platinum grillz

Wolf

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolfpool said:

Next stop...PLATNIUM!

I'm already Plat, I just haven't played enough games to get the 10 wins for season rewards yet.  Should have them this weekend, though, while I'm on the push to Diamond.

• Like 1

This challenge looks like a great tactic for starting over.  Keep it simple and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  It's good to see you are managing to find time to spend with the family too.  Following for support!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shello said:

This challenge looks like a great tactic for starting over.  Keep it simple and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  It's good to see you are managing to find time to spend with the family too.  Following for support!

Glad to have you!

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Looks like a great simple challenge. 

Thanks!  I wish 'simple' meant 'easy', too.  ;)

W1-Friday:  gah, I'm an idiot.  My eating was fine through lunch (leftover pork chop and green beans), but as the long work day dragged on I got peckish and overdid it with junk out of the corporate snack drawer at work (chips, cookies, candy).  That put me close to the day's target, but I didn't want it to derail proper nutrition, so I went ahead and planned an overage in order to eat dinner.  MFG made grilled chicken breast with spinach salad, and I topped half of my chicken with melted jack cheese and a heaping pile of guacamole; but I abstained from the dinner rolls that Bubbles made.  That rounded out my day just a little over target, and I wasn't really sweating it until...

I stayed up so late again.  Dammit.  I know I said no Rocket League, but the temptation of Platinum season rewards was too much for me.  Naturally I fell to Gold after just a single win at Plat and then went on a losing streak that dropped me three divisions, all of which had to be recovered before tallying the remaining 8 wins for Plat rewards.  Around 2 am I got hungry and decided that one dinner roll wouldn't hurt, then I made that same decision seven more times.  :rolleyes:  I kept pushing and finally got the wins, but when I looked at the clock it was nearly 4am. My brain was too wired to go to sleep so I watched some TV until 0430 (I'm sure you already did the math, Raxie ;)).  Those dinner rolls were a terrible idea, but staying up that late was even worse.  I don't know why I keep sabotaging my efforts like that.

Since the rolls (plus some cheddar cheese) technically happened after midnight I'm counting them as breakfast for Saturday.  Today is another OT day at work (alone in the office, blasting Foo Fighters while drafting this renovation project), then tonight I'm just going to watch hockey then go to bed early (I hope).

• Like 5

Maybe you need some sort of punishment/reward for getting to bed on time. Something that will have more pull than the lure of more Rocket League. Or maybe when your wife goes to bed she can hid the game controller;)

• Like 1

I'm wondering if it might be something other than Rocket League that is keeping you up. Could it be more you enjoy having that time to yourself? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Maybe you need some sort of punishment/reward for getting to bed on time. Something that will have more pull than the lure of more Rocket League. Or maybe when your wife goes to bed she can hid the game controller;)

If MFG wants to incentivize me to go to bed then she has far more potent weapons available.  B)

17 minutes ago, deftona said:

I'm wondering if it might be something other than Rocket League that is keeping you up. Could it be more you enjoy having that time to yourself? 

That's always been the case (especially since having kids), but the game makes it easier to indulge in late hours & worse when that happens.  The thrill of achievement and improvement along with my favorite aspects of team sports in the comfort and peace of my own home (after the kids are in bed) is one of few true pleasures I enjoy these days.  Plus the game itself is geared toward long sessions--it's hard to warm up quickly, but once warm it's easier to maintain a winning streak.  Most days it's 10 steps back then 11 steps ahead.  And it's my only "grown-up" activity besides church band.

It's like ice-cream.  I don't get it all the time, but when I do I eat it all.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DrFeelgood said:

f MFG wants to incentivize me to go to bed then she has far more potent weapons available.  B)

:) I thought the same thing after I posted

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deftona said:

We're on to something here...

2 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

The thrill of achievement and improvement along with my favorite aspects of team sports in the comfort and peace of my own home (after the kids are in bed) is one of few true pleasures I enjoy these days.

And now we have a 360 no scope head shot!  I think this may be why you've been struggling so much, why the eating is out of control, why the exercise isn't happening, why the sleep isn't happening. You are UNHAPPY and not doing anything for yourself besides Rocket League. While fitness and eating healthy are good for you, they aren't self care. You need more things that you enjoy, whether or not they include the family. I'll PM you some more of my insights, but I think we have the key here.

• Like 4