Canis's Paleo(ish) Adventure

Hi rebel friends! Starting my first challenge a bit late, but here goes!

I'm a 30 y.o. woman living in the Midwest. I love hiking, camping, road trips, and travel. I live with my husband, who's super supportive and trying to get healthy as well. Our ultimate goal is to travel the world together over the next four decades or so, and the healthier we are, the longer we can enjoy it.

On Monday, I'm starting a new job earning over twice what I earned at my old job, and the first thing I want to invest in is food that makes me feel good. I know from past experience that eating paleo(ish) totally eliminates my stomach issues, but I just couldn't afford it. It would be super cool if I could lose the twenty pounds I've gained in the last ten years, but I'd settle for not having a bloated, upset stomach every night.

So here's the plan - I'm keeping it as simple as possible:

1. Stop eating grains. They hurt my stomach.
  2. Stop eating legumes. They really hurt. Even my beloved peanut butter. 
  3. Cut the sugar. I'm addicted guys. Other than a bit of fruit and occasional raw honey, it's gotta go.

And that's it. I don't really have an exercise goal this time around. 

Best of luck to everyone in their goals, and thanks in advance for your support!

• Like 5

Hi Canis, welcome and congratulations on the new job! I'm in the UK, but I am sure it is the same in the US - despite what everybody says, eating healthier is generally faaaar more expensive. I'm not a fan of Paleo myself, but I hope it all works well for you.

Good luck with your goals, I eat everything and the only thing that gives me stomach troubles are meal replacement drinks like soylent,joylent, huel, whole fuel etc.

Sounds like you don't really need a specific exercise goal at the moment with hiking and whatnot :)

• Like 1

Good Luck! Food is hard, I know,  but   not being in pain is also nice, and finding things you like and that feel rewarding while not hurting your tum will make it easier. For example:  do you KNOW how many amazing desserts already use almond flour? ;) I also buy my nut butters fresh ground at the grocery store,  which really helps me with the no peanut butter thing. I'm sure you will do great! 

• Like 1

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward. -Amelia Earhart

Current Challenge: Tale of Nettis Clovenmark: CH 1: Stillness 

Ze/Zer/Zers

Nice and simple. I really like it! Congrats on your new job, it really is a lot more expensive to buy good healthy ingredients. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 5/30/2018 at 1:55 PM, Chaosbane said:

I'm in the UK, but I am sure it is the same in the US - despite what everybody says, eating healthier is generally faaaar more expensive.

So true, especially when you're avoiding the cheap stuff like rice and beans.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, Porter said:

do you KNOW how many amazing desserts already use almond flour? ;) I also buy my nut butters fresh ground at the grocery store,  which really helps me with the no peanut butter thing. 

I've never been into baking, but I might have to try it at some point with the almond flour! And I love almond butter, but I can down a jar in two days - no joke. :P I usually just keep it out of the house to save myself!

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Congrats on your new job, it really is a lot more expensive to buy good healthy ingredients. 

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to not worrying so much about the grocery bill.

Wednesday Update: Ate a (fabulous) sandwich for dinner, but otherwise did ok. Only experienced minor stomach discomfort. 2/3

Thursday Update: The emotional eating struggle is REAL today. I had to go shopping for clothes for my new job. There is nothing I hate more than clothes shopping (except maybe going to the doctor). All I wanted was to drown my sorrow in Taco Bell and Coldstone, but instead I'm drowning it in a Chipotle salad. It's still emotional eating, but without the beans/grain/sugar. 3/3

On the plus side, I've lost over three pounds since Monday. It's wild what happens when you introduce actual fresh produce to your system after frozen veggies and rice for months.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, CanisLatrans said:

The emotional eating struggle is REAL today. I had to go shopping for clothes for my new job. There is nothing I hate more than clothes shopping (except maybe going to the doctor). All I wanted was to drown my sorrow in Taco Bell and Coldstone, but instead I'm drowning it in a Chipotle salad. It's still emotional eating, but without the beans/grain/sugar. 3/3

On the plus side, I've lost over three pounds since Monday. It's wild what happens when you introduce actual fresh produce to your system after frozen veggies and rice for months.

OMG I so feel you on the clothes shopping struggle I hate  clothes shopping so so much.  I too have all the cravings today, so I am planning  something fancy for dinner to compensate. 

• Like 1

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward. -Amelia Earhart

Ze/Zer/Zers

Friday update: Not the greatest day - had ice cream and a sandwich for dinner, so 1/3. It started out so well too. I successfully made a veggie omelet, and omelets are freaking harder than they look! Mine usually end up egg scrambles. 

Here's to a better tomorrow!

Edited to add: I had a good 16 hours of stomach cramps/bloat/upset to pay for my 1/3 day. Why do I do this to myself? My poor tum... 

• Like 1

Week One Update

13/21 possible points (I gave myself two each for Monday and Tuesday. I was trying to meet these objectives, I just hadn't posted my challenge yet.) I'm struggling the most with the sugar, but grains are a close second. I just want that hit of quick carbs, and I'm trying to deal with it by eating fruit and dark chocolate.

So I hit my objectives roughly 50% of the time, and I'm not even mad because of the results I got:

1. Started this week at 157.2, and ended it at 153. That's roughly a four pound weight loss. There was some fluctuation during the week but the trend is going down. I have four more pounds to lose before I'm in a normal BMI for my height (5'5")
  2. As long as I hit 2/3 objectives, I didn't have a stomach ache. I've just expected to go to bed and wake up with a stomach ache for such a long time its weird to realized I have no discomfort.
  3. I'm not hungry all the time. I am one of those people who are ALWAYS hungry. But now that I'm eating higher fat/low carb, I don't think about food all the time.

If this is how my body reacts to just cutting down on grain, legumes, and sugar, I wonder what would happen if I could completely cut them out? We can't go completely paleo/primal until the paychecks from the job I start tomorrow start coming in, but I'm excited to see what happens when we do!

Happy first week everyone!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CanisLatrans said:

Week One Update

13/21 possible points (I gave myself two each for Monday and Tuesday. I was trying to meet these objectives, I just hadn't posted my challenge yet.) I'm struggling the most with the sugar, but grains are a close second. I just want that hit of quick carbs, and I'm trying to deal with it by eating fruit and dark chocolate.

So I hit my objectives roughly 50% of the time, and I'm not even mad because of the results I got:

1. Started this week at 157.2, and ended it at 153. That's roughly a four pound weight loss. There was some fluctuation during the week but the trend is going down. I have four more pounds to lose before I'm in a normal BMI for my height (5'5")
  2. As long as I hit 2/3 objectives, I didn't have a stomach ache. I've just expected to go to bed and wake up with a stomach ache for such a long time its weird to realized I have no discomfort.
  3. I'm not hungry all the time. I am one of those people who are ALWAYS hungry. But now that I'm eating higher fat/low carb, I don't think about food all the time.

If this is how my body reacts to just cutting down on grain, legumes, and sugar, I wonder what would happen if I could completely cut them out? We can't go completely paleo/primal until the paychecks from the job I start tomorrow start coming in, but I'm excited to see what happens when we do!

Happy first week everyone!

This sounds fantastic! Congrats!! 

Sugar addiction is a real thing and a monster; it's great that you're seeing positive results from cutting back. Good luck with week 2 : )

• Like 1

It is just so crazy how much more satiating eating fat and protein is.  SO much of what  our culture teaches about food is  just plain wrong!

• Like 2

Ze/Zer/Zers

That looks like a solid week 1! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Thanks for the support @turtleduck, @Porter, and @jonfirestar!

Monday update: 2/3. I had tacos to celebrate my new job (which I love so far), so I ate corn. My stomach awarded that decision immediately with a stomach cramp but those tacos were worth it!

Tuesday update: 3/3. I had a Southwest Salad from McDonalds, which has a little black bean and corn salsa, but I'm not penalizing myself because it was the best lunch option at the time and I didn't know.

Here was the problem with today though: I'm used to working at Starbucks, where tons of calorie dense food is available for free all the time. You take three bites of a lemon loaf and BAM - you just ate 250 calories. Now I work a desk job (HALLELUJAH!) and no one's feeding me leftover lemon loaf. So I skipped breakfast (not hungry - low carb is awesome), grab that salad thinking, "It's McDonald's, it has to be at least 600 calories", and hopped over to the gym after work. Then I almost passed out when I got home. Turns out that salad was 325 calories total and that was all I ate today. So until further notice, I'm logging calories to make sure I'm not passing out after going to the gym. Total for today: 735. Not okay. I'll do better tomorrow guys.

• Like 2
On 6/7/2018 at 12:23 AM, CanisLatrans said:

Wednesday Update: 3/3 with a solid, respectable 1600 calories. Killin' it. ;)

Woot! Well done! I hope things are still going strong! 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler