What happened?

Hi all, I'm a first time poster but a long time lurker. Back when I discovered NF in 2015 I was skeptical about joining the academy and decided that I would just stick to the newsletters/emails that Steve/others sent out every week and the youtube videos - and I loved them! I have been struggling with weight issues since I was 18 - I'm 27 now and I haven't made anywhere near the progress that I have been hoping for. The highest I've been is around 270lbs, and I'm currently hovering around 230 with a goal of 180. 

I decided this time around I would try and take a more serious approach, and I immediately thought of NF and how fun those camps looked and the great emails.. but now that I think about it.. I haven't seen one of those emails in quite a while, and the last time the youtube channel had an upload was nearly a year ago.. it seems like the time I'm finally ready to make the leap that I may be too late...

TL;DR is NF dying out?

Thanks,

21 hours ago, 91reasons said:

TL;DR is NF dying out?

Not dying out, but it's evolved substantially since 2015.

Notably, they've pulled back on the article counts to make more in depth content posts.  The Academy and Rising Heroes and the newer 1 on 1 virtual coaching programs of NF are where they really are focusing their energy these days - and those are mostly taking place on other platforms (mainly their in house servers and Facebook).  Since 2015 they've started to accept they aren't the scrappy underdog blog, but a legitimate business with business needs to cover and address - like needing to pay people. 

So the blog is still there, but deprioritized.  The forums are still here, but deprioritized.  But NF as an entity is doing quite well, and has been hiring regularly the last couple of months.

That said, all of the blog content from the early days, which helped so many people, is still around for free.  The forum, which is really what started the ideas behind The Academy and Rising Heroes, are still around and free. (Though admittedly slower these days than in years past, but you still have a good chunk of us old timers and some fresher blood that's around for a bit.) . You'll still find plenty of incredibly experienced and knowledgable people around here, if you don't mind things being a little more free form and can put in a bit of leg work to start.

But we're here.  We're Nerds.  And The Rebellion is still pretty damn strong.

Welcome to NF. :) 

• Like 4

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

To be honest, the academy has changed. Steve and Staci used to do fairly regular Q&A webinars that really added a lot of extra value and camaraderie to the academy. Hasn't been a webinar in quite a long time. Also don't think we get many of the Academy Emails anymore. After year one they stop emailing you to check in with you and see how you're doing(used to email you every quarter to check on your progress and address any questions.). This was really cool and made you feel a real boost of spirit when someone checked up on you. They either stopped or decided after a year, you're on your own. 

They also removed the academy forums several years ago with a claim that they would eventually add private Academy forums to the main rebellion forums but at 2 years passed when we were told to expect It I'd say that went  bye bye. They went with the free Facebook option which works well but 2 days after a message is posted you will never find it again(because Facebook is not designed to replace forums for static information more so than sharing pics of cats) so the academy has also lost that value of forums and historic threaded info that you get here for free(Easier access to info to be found here from your fellow nerds, for free, than in the academy).

It seems like the new questing system as well as the personal coaching product are their new focus. 

Now on a positive note, the content provided in the academy is solid. You learn a lot and if you follow and do what it teaches, you WILL lose weight(or gain if preferred), gain strength, gain health, and gain peace. It was worth $99 when I joined just for the content alone. is it worth the new 150 dollar price tag? I'd say if you use the fitness and nutrition modules, as well as all the great videos on the exercises,  it's probably still worth the money. I can't put a price tag on the 100+ pounds I lost.

Bottom line from a customer/business standpoint. The academy does not seem as important to NF since they brought out the Coaching program which is where their focus seems to be, but the academy still works, does what it claims and if you dedicate yourself to following it religiously, you WILL reach your goals for a minimal financial investment.

PS: Biggest missed item from Nerdfitness was the recipe emails. We still make some of those and are always waiting and hoping on new ones. GREAT, easy to make, tasty Paleo friendly recipes are win!

• Like 3

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/