• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

analoggirl

Challenge

G'day! This is a quick post to announce my challenge. For the first time since I have been roaming around the forums, I found the NF signature and affinity generator (from 2012). It told me that I was an Assassin! Who would have thought. Although I can see it now. Then, I found the one from 2014 and it turns out I am required to make challenge! I had been avoiding making a challenge post, opting to track myself and use friends as accountabilibuddies. However, since quite a while now everybody has been busy with *very important milestones* (myself included) so my social life has been on the low.

However, the internet is a place of wonders, with humans in all sorts of paths in life, all in different time zones. Although, I have kind of been feeling guilty that I am not more actively supportive of others while I am on here, instead of just cheering on silently. I will try to do so more.

I have three fitness goals, and one Big life challenge.

1. Keep on drinking at least 1,5 L of the H2o.

2. Besides my yoga on Thursday in the evening, do 15 minutes of something at home. MAYBE finally dust my kettlebells off and use those as well.

Go swimming once a week. Even if it is just briefly. The swimming pool is literally 5 minutes away from me by bike.

3. Do not snack on junk past 19:00. I am setting the bar on low, especially if I manage to get myself to go to bed at 21:00 or 22:00 consequently again.

Life challenge: I am calling this one 'Suck it up buttercup'. I have to basically WORK when I am working, and have breaks when I have alotted time for them.
I have 1,5 week left until I have a major regular exam at 9AM and a take-home exam I have 5 days to work on and I cannot function without sleep, so I will have to get over my damn slump and stop procrastinating so damn much. Also, that will not be the end of it since after that I have another minor exam (that I have done very little for because of everything else) and one big deadline on 15 July. And then I will not have any summer vacation because I will be doing an internship.

Basically, I an almost typical university student that is whining about luxury problems while ticking away on a laptop. Coincedently, I am even at a coffee shop with an iced cappuccino right now. 

I wish I could say I was cooler than that at almost 24 years old, but it is what it is. 

For now, I will settle with being just a bit above average. But soon I will have to get past that. I have many people counting on me, including a little sister that I want to be a proper role model for.

Alright. Let's do this! I have listened to my own excuses for long enough. 

Even if I keep falling face-down with being frequent on passing these goals, I will do everything in my might to stand the hell up and do a little more. 

I have been listening to this quite often lately. Call me Ms. Cheese.

• Like 2

I just decided I want to add:

Bonus quest: Shower cold 30x.

It is totally okay if I trick myself with a warm temperature first to get under the water and then turn it down slowly.

Also, I feel like I need very warm water to shampoo my hair properly. Might be between my ears but oh well.

Passive goals: by writing on here I hope I can get my 'ready-to-go' English vocabulary back to what it used to be. I am Dutch and I have had to focus on just speaking Dutch in the past couple of years because of my university studies. I really enjoy English but it just sounds less articulate if I keep mixing in English words or get fooled by English sentence structure. Especially the word 'though' is very convenient, darn it.

When things get less crazy I would love to get my basic level French (my nemesis!) to a fluent speaking level. Apparently that is not too difficult with enough practice but I know myself. I need to k.i.s.s. it or I do not succeed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 may 2018

1. Minimum of 1,5L H2o?

Yes.

2. 15 mins of smth besides yoga?

No.

3. No snacking past 19:00?

Ehh, I will count this as a halfyes.

I wanted to power through smth and decided I would eat two plain ol' ricewaffers (full-grain?) around 22:00, worked until 23:40. Had had my dinner at 18:30 and "knock-off" Prince star cookies for dessert. A rice waffer is a snack but not the chocolate or anything else of the rainbow stuff I am always craving. Half a browniepoint for showing SOME restraint.

4. Worked when I had to work?

No, stuff happened and it got me off focus and I did not do what I wanted to do. Not a bad day total achievement wise but not enough. No browniepts.

...I need to call them something different or I will want brownies in moments of weakness. Stars!

31 May 2018

1. Done!

2. Walked for 40 minutes at least. It was raining hard (with thunder and all) so I could not take my bike. But it turned out the bus drivers are having a strike, and it had stopped raining by then. Thank you, bus drivers. However, walking does not really count because I really mean bodyweight exercises (or) pilates (or) calisthenics.

Edit: did not go to yoga. Been feeling sick since a few days. I finished up some work and dit a little Poppilates video. That woman (Casey) is a ball of energy! I used to not be able to stand that but I find that sunshine refreshing now.

The half-assed short workout was nice and hopefully a start to something more consistent. Also, it helped me get a bit more sick so I can be done feeling sick. If that makes sense. I think it is/was(?) the heat.

3. I think I did not snack? Shoot. I am sure I did not snack past 20:00 but Idk. I am happy to say that was easy today. Also Snaps for making myself a salad box with crackers for lunch today.

4. Today was pretty good. I still feel woozy so time is a bit weird for me but I did get into 'the zone' while editing a paper.

Bonus quest: [1/30] ---> will continue to go at it when NF challenge ends. Of course, I might be able to have 30 cold showers within this challenge since it is so damn hot. It almost went from icy cold to melting hot between April and May.

PS - I realise goal 4 is not too measurable but I need a place to keep myself accountable.

I also base my score off of a Time Logging app and how often I have paused the timer. However, that time logger is not always accurate since sometimes I keep my phone somewhere far away from me while still leaving the timer on.

Hey there! Great job so far. Being here and being active is half the battle!

I find focusing on work while working hard to do... (I say as I am responding to a NF thread during work hours lol). 

I also love your bonus quest. Can I ask why you are doing cold showers? I used them as punishment once in one of my challenges.. If I did something I wasn't supposed to that day I had to have a cold shower because I was trying to train my discipline. But afterwards they felt refreshing lol

Keep up the great work <3 

• Like 2

Hey there! Great job so far. Being here and being active is half the battle!

I find focusing on work while working hard to do... (I say as I am responding to a NF thread during work hours lol). 

I also love your bonus quest. Can I ask why you are doing cold showers? I used them as punishment once in one of my challenges.. If I did something I wasn't supposed to that day I had to have a cold shower because I was trying to train my discipline. But afterwards they felt refreshing lol

Keep up the great work

Thanks! I edited my log for today.

Indeed, showing up is great. It does give me an extra excuse as a distraction though, so when I found it did not really help me AND gave me a reason to browse the webs more... I just became an infrequent lurker. The NF community is too fun to leave for too long though.

Well, first of all I have bad blood flow (and sitting for a long time behind a desk ford not help). I read about someone doing it as a challenge (big strong dude in the self-development business, forgot his name) that pushes himself to new limits in all aspects of life when he can. I read about the benefits. I was convinced. It was winter and it made me feel less cold.

Cold showers are also my way of incorporating the antifragile philosophy into my life. Aaand I felt kind of cool that I was able to do it for quite some time some years back. People remain amazed lol.

So that sort of is in the same line of reasoning (I.e. disciplining yourself to do stuff you do not want to do, hoping for a spill-over effect into other areas of life. But I know that they give me a nice rush and are refreshing haha. I would probably get stubborn and not do it if it was a punishment. Ah, conversations with yourself...)

Oh yeah, and I had also read it helped against depression. When I first did it for 30 days, I was pretty down and out. Idk if it WAS depression but I sure was not myself. It contributed to me getting out of the slump. Therefore I have a very strong positive association with the concept.

Ah, it also helped my skin be less dry. I was. Really needing that because I did not feel like putting moisturiser on and dryness is irritating. I do use moisturiser frequently now but just thought I would give a very overly detailed answer because it might motivate someone to do it as well.

Anyway, the past couple of years I did not want to take them at all.

So I decided I would. Just do not know if it will not lead to some weird (albeit mild) temperature shock but I will cross that bridge when i am there.

• Like 1

I appreciate the in depth answer! Very cool. I was figured you were doing it for skin and hair lol but I think I like all your reasons better. 

So, working while working is quite difficult. 

Especially if you cannot even start because you are still sick, and stress from looming deadlines is not helping.

But, I am not (just :p) here to complain. I put on some music, filled up my water bottle and am entirely ready to keep doing the thing that is on next on my list. I think. "There is no try..." Okay okay I will do it. I actually expended a lot less energy mentally and physically because it takes energy to keep returning your focus and such.

• Like 1

You got this! I hope you feel better soon :( Focusing and working is like 9000 times harder when you are sick. I have to say I was doing pretty good working while i work until about an hour ago... You have motivated me to get back to work lol 

• Like 1

Well done! The last two days or so I took a wrong turn and ran into a pretty high level monster. I think it is the Summer Flu. It all went so fast!

I tried to keep hydrated and help my immune system with some mandarines. Slept a hell of a lot. Hopefully it will leave me alone tomorrow.

Did not track anything but I probably did well on the not snacking today because of my lack of appetite. Also not sure where I am with the water. Will approach with caution.

03 June

1. H20 - yes.

2. My dinner went into after 19:00 but I will make sure I will not snack anymore. Apetite is coming back as I am getting better so I have to watch that.

Half a star.

3. I will count 20 mins of biking today as my moving to cut myself some slack.

Check.

As it is my primary mode of transport nowadays, up to 30 mins of biking do not really have the effect on my body as they did. 'Just' give me with the regular benefits of not being immobile most of the time. I kind of need a bigger boost right now.

4. Check. Worked while I worked!

Have to really start tracking it again from tomorrow on though. Also started way late (slept quite a bit) and am sort of tired right now but I am blaming it on the being ill again.

Will not allow myself to use that card tomorrow though, even if I am only at this level of health since I sometimes feel like this simply because it is hot.

Gotta draw a line somewhere. I need to power through these last weeks of the semester. Build my mental resilience up. Last year I reached the level of not being a melted sandwich on the sidewalk in the summer so it was natural that I had to be challenged this year lol. (I was proven that your mind gives up a lot sooner than your body does after all... So I cannot fool myself anymore. Damn it.)

Edit: Bonus quest: the water was not that cold but I will give myself 0,5 a star for the effort.

5 June

1. No idea. I cannot drink more than several sips at once without getting reflux so I am just making sure I do not feel thirsty.

2. My goals do not work right now. I ate very little relatively speaking. Dinner continued after 1900. I snacked on some strawberries and a couple of mini waffers.

3. Biking. Varying speeds today because it was extra busy on my usually clear routes. I had to keep slowing and speeding back up.

4. Eh I did quite well in the working dpt. I found my stopwatch that Id gotten for pomodoros so I do not have to use my phone when I do not want to use the clock and pen and paper.

Yeah I have to vary my strategies a lot, sometimes even within the same week. But fovus can be found always. The deadline magic does not affect me that much which worries me sometimes.

Over and out.

Welcome to the challenge! Sounds like you're doing pretty well :D

On 06/06/2018 at 7:07 AM, analoggirl said:

2. My goals do not work right now. I ate very little relatively speaking. Dinner continued after 1900. I snacked on some strawberries and a couple of mini waffers.

Yeah I have to vary my strategies a lot, sometimes even within the same week. But fovus can be found always. The deadline magic does not affect me that much which worries me sometimes.

I totally hear you on this! I did a similar challenge a few months ago and learned just how variable my routine is. For example, yesterday was Fiancé's turn to cook dinner so we didn't end up eating until about 9 pm, so I'd have been doomed if I'd set myself a time limit! I can recommend setting a more flexible goal, like instead of no snacks after 7 pm, no snacks after dinner :D

Welcome to the challenge! Sounds like you're doing pretty well

I totally hear you on this! I did a similar challenge a few months ago and learned just how variable my routine is. For example, yesterday was Fiancé's turn to cook dinner so we didn't end up eating until about 9 pm, so I'd have been doomed if I'd set myself a time limit! I can recommend setting a more flexible goal, like instead of no snacks after 7 pm, no snacks after dinner
Thank you for your input. Maybe the flaw was also that I was counting a meal as snacking. Although technically it would be better for me not to eat after 19 "if there are no reasons" like having to cook later or so.

I was doing okay but I stopped tracking. I will start again tomorrow or on Monday. I am probably doing okay on the water and cool showers but not that well with the rest. I got my appetite back in full and had to make sure chocolate and ice cream know I still love them. :')

I am also sleeping quite well so here's hoping I keep that up. I might be capable of more than I give myself credit for but lack of sleep (and overheating) is something my body punishes me for immediately.

So I guess I have a sort of zen because if I stressed over the fact that I simply cannot catch up the time Iost due to being sick, I would probably go nuts. All you can do is read strategically as much possible and make sure that the knowledge you DO acquire does not go down the drain because of fatigue&stress. Gotta be alert. Slice and dice my goals and all that jazz.

• Like 1

Came across this video and thought it would be a nice distraction to write a couple of things down to procrastinate on my work productively. I am taking everything I do not research myself with a grain of salt, but it seems pretty alright.

1. Realize what sugar does to your brain.

-I already knew my reactions to it and the basic science. Check!

2. Understand levels of addiction. Recognise your level.

- My level is... I love food. I have a sweet tooth mainly. Chocolate is life. Ice cream is life. Salty snacks make me really thirsty quite quickly so they are not a problem.

My family does have an addictive streak to them. Many smoke. I hate the idea of something controlling my life - anything - so that is a major reason I want to be in control of my sugar cravings. Except that sugar is even more socially acceptable than cigarettes and alcohol, so it is a tough one. I am probably overdramatising it. But cravings frustrate me. And do not fix anything that is bothering me when I eat sugar for emotional comfort.

3.  Detox.

-I have do not drink fizzy drinks. Usually when I do not want to offer water at a café. Chocolate is my main culprit right now. I will try to go 21 days without for the next challenge, I think. Stressful times are coming though.... But that's actually even more reason to feed my brain quality fuel and cope more effectively with stress.

4. Become a nutrition label ninja.

-Luckily there are all sorts of standards for labels. It will be annoying but I will eventually get it down. 

5. Balanced meals.

Protein, fibers, healthy fats. I saw a book some time ago that dealt with 'eating in accordance with your hormones'. I think that is quite interesting but I have not looked into it yet. I do not require too much variety in my meals, I just have to get used to different ones. Both for during the cold and the warmth.

6. Heal your gut.

(?) Okay, interesting. I have quite a sensitive stomache so we will see where this health rabbit hole might lead me if I have time to look into it.

7. Pay attention to other sugars!

-They caught me there. I use agave syrup for in my coffee and tea sometimes. I kind of like the idea of 'drinking my coffee black'. But let's take it one step at a time okay. 

These topics are covered thouroughly in NerdFitness and another blog I follow, Art of Manliness. But hey, more is more.

Psychological factors that determine amount of willpower:

1. Chunking.

I stopped the video there yesterday so I could immediately apply for once. 

Bnia98_CIAAFbdk.jpg

The above quote might not be Bruce Lee's personal quote (I saw Wolfgang von Goethe while googling the picture) but Bruce motivates me more. 

2. Confidence

3. View of willpower

Oh. Okay. Being aware of willpower's limit has helped me better time manage but I will try to use this approach.

4. Identity. Change your language.

OH. This used to help me back in the day with eating healthy. "I am someone that does not eat bread!"

5. High-level thinking. 

Low level thoughts:

-short term

-specifics

High level ideas:

-Long term

-General (What's your WHY?)

Ah. This is my Achilles' heel. I like planning. I am very good at time managing. I just think about doing it more than I actually do. Underpants collecting is fun. Been getting better at it though.

Time to do some work.

11 June

1. Done!

2. Danced and jumped around quite a bit.

3. Did not snack after dinner.

4. Had a big test. Did a little for the next one but overall took the rest of the day off.

Bonus quest: [?/30] +1 Today.

12 June

1. Done. 

2. Did not move too much. I am giving myself an X.

3. Woke up quite hungry because of yesterday. Did not snack after dinner. 

4. No star. Finished up an e-story I was reading and wanted badly to watch a series in between my work because I was being fussy (is how I will call it, because I can). 

13 June

1. No, I think.

2. Check. Went to walk and jogged a little in the morning. Biked. 

3. I will try not to eat chocolate today :| Hopefully that will get me to eat my dried fruit and nuts/seeds mix a bit more.

EDIT: I indeed did not eat chocolate. Yay!

This was a good day concentration wise.

I just noticed I have no data on 6-10 June. 5 days is quite a chunk but I was recovering and studying. Good thing I did not make 'tracking' part of the challenge though. Confirms the fact that I should only see this accountabilty mechanism as necessary when it works for me. It is a weird way and seemingly ineffective. However, when I stressed over it, it was counterproductive. Sucks I will not get an accurate rating in the end but oh well. 

Came across this video and thought it would be a nice distraction to write a couple of things down to procrastinate on my work productively. I am taking everything I do not research myself with a grain of salt, but it seems pretty alright.

- My level is... I love food. I have a sweet tooth mainly. Chocolate is life. Ice cream is life. Salty snacks make me really thirsty quite quickly so they are not a problem.

My family does have an addictive streak to them. Many smoke. I hate the idea of something controlling my life - anything - so that is a major reason I want to be in control of my sugar cravings. Except that sugar is even more socially acceptable than cigarettes and alcohol, so it is a tough one. I am probably overdramatising it. But cravings frustrate me. And do not fix anything that is bothering me when I eat sugar for emotional comfort.

3.  Detox.
-I have do not drink fizzy drinks. Usually when I do not want to offer water at a café. Chocolate is my main culprit right now. I will try to go 21 days without for the next challenge, I think. Stressful times are coming though.... But that's actually even more reason to feed my brain quality fuel and cope more effectively with stress.

-Luckily there are all sorts of standards for labels. It will be annoying but I will eventually get it down. 

5. Balanced meals.
Protein, fibers, healthy fats. I saw a book some time ago that dealt with 'eating in accordance with your hormones'. I think that is quite interesting but I have not looked into it yet. I do not require too much variety in my meals, I just have to get used to different ones. Both for during the cold and the warmth.

6. Heal your gut.
(?) Okay, interesting. I have quite a sensitive stomache so we will see where this health rabbit hole might lead me if I have time to look into it.

-They caught me there. I use agave syrup for in my coffee and tea sometimes. I kind of like the idea of 'drinking my coffee black'. But let's take it one step at a time okay. 

Which video? It seems interesting, can you share a link? (maybe you posted it already, but it doesn't show on mobile

On 14/06/2018 at 10:09 AM, Diadhuit said:
On 12/06/2018 at 11:46 AM, analoggirl said:

3.  Detox.

5. Balanced meals.

6. Heal your gut.

Which video? It seems interesting, can you share a link? (maybe you posted it already, but it doesn't show on mobile

No I did not, woops! Here it is:

14 June

Did not write down.

15 June

1. No star?

2. Star. Biked. Today was a deadline so I give myself some slack.

3. No star (neutral). I ate a sizeable dinner really late even though I had had enough snacks and everything to get me through. I do not hold it against myself but I do not believe I can give myself a star with a clear conscience. :')

4. Star. Although the edges on my work were quite ruffled still by the time I had to submit my work.

16 June

1. No star ? I did not really track (still) but I doubt I Drank enough.

2. Star! I went swimming and quite a bit of walking.

3. Star.

4. Star. Recuperated very well without stressing about the future. I am otherwise really good at driving myself nuts. Did some administrative things. Day off.

17 June

1. No star. Probably not enough water. I finished a 500ml bottle and am nursing another one. I think it is because it is pretty cool right now. Okay, tomorrow I really need to get my ish together looking at the stats these days. Maybe I am getting an OK amount because I do not count glasses I drink here and there, but it is still not enough.

2. Walked quite a bit. Played some outdoor games and jumped on the trampoline with the kids of some friends of the family. Fun stuff. 

3. I get a star. Have snacked after dinner, but it was cherries. 

4. Star. Today was a day off for me. A breather. Although I do not "have time" for one. Might go to bed early so I can get an early start on the Monday. 

When I think about the tasks I have before me, I keep seeing the amount + the lack of time. I still need to learn how to think in solutions. Of course you have to be realistic, but damn. 

Did I not choose this path myself? (Nobody reading this will know what I am talking about because it does not relate to the above goals, but it is nothing drastic or dangerous, I promise. I just have a flair for drama sometimes. :) )

Well,

1. H2o
18: yes
19:no
20: yes

2. The Moving
18: no
19: yes (walked over 11.000 steps according to my tracker so yay)
20: yes

18: Yes
19: Yes
20: Yes

18: yes
19: yes
20: no

So inconsistent! I also want to start tracking my food intake with MFP again. Stopped about a month ago because I decided that for once I am allowed to just go into 'tackle academic goals' mode and push my body. I usually refuse to do this because I am very sensitive to lack of sleep and healthy food but sometimes "You have to do what you have to do."

Also, I do not share this with friends or acquiantences because most of them have said to me "You have to also live a little and take care of yourself as well!"

Most of them are also either capable of pulling all-nighters at will or very good at "just sitting down and focusing". Or do not see why I would want to do what I want to do.

So they should shush.

In other news,

I was brainstorming about workouts. I kind of like Chun Li. And obviously achieving Rock thighs and calves take more work than just staying a bit more round. :')

However, Chun Li has no soft core.

So I guess I will have to suck it up and work up towards building the right habits. And dust my damned kettlebells off.

• Like 1

I'm a bit late, but welcome! :)

I find that I have trouble being consistent when I'm taking a more laid back approach to tracking. There's a balance between being more rigid with goals, and being more going with the flow.

I've never been able to pull off an all nighter. Or sit down and focus at will. I'm not sure how anyone can do it.

• Like 1

No problem! Thank you. And good point. I suffer from building 'immunity' towards tools. In the beginning consistent tracking will help. Then I will slowly allow myself to track more poor behaviour without feeling any drive to fix it (because something legitimate has happened to make me slack).

Then I might continue on and get back on the bandwagon, and I might not, eitherway that one method has stopped having any effect on me besides using up time (and lack of time to plan and prep properly is probably the reason I have stopped being healthy overall).

But maybe I have become sensitive to it again. So I will check it out again after the 15th of July. Thanks for mentioning it.

Confession:

I used to use this as an excuse to not come on NF at all. I would feel like I only come on here to complain about things not working. Which is fine. Especially if you find ways to get better. But I did not figure it out and did not want to keep sharing my fails

Now I am more at ease with the idea. I do not mean to just keep on treating my slow tempo lightly. I intend to finally take the first steps of my first ever specific-goals-Juggernaut phase this year. But I finally am at peace with the fact that I am not moving "as planned".

Hmm, sometimes I wonder. Given this, maybe my thread belongs elsewhere but since I enjoy framing my goals as 'quests' I will probably keep on posting here. Until someone corrects my posting habits :')

I'm a bit late, but welcome!

I find that I have trouble being consistent when I'm taking a more laid back approach to tracking. There's a balance between being more rigid with goals, and being more going with the flow.

I've never been able to pull off an all nighter. Or sit down and focus at will. I'm not sure how anyone can do it.

• Like 1