The Scriptorium

So, hey there guys, I've been drabbling to get to know my characters some and also to sharpen my fingers a little. I've been using this site for it; if you have trouble picking, go to random.org and just go with the number generator there.

It's been really interesting to see what kind of stuff I pull, and while not all of it's going to go into the novel, it's definitely helpful for keeping me moving.

Hopefully this helps y'all if you're working on any kind of projects!

So, uh.

Anybody else go looking at NaNoWriMo and think, "Hey! That's a great idea!"

Working synopsis in the spoilers...

Spoiler

Title: Blood Feuds

Joshua Miller leads a simple life - get up, go to work, and practice Magical Martial Arts.

Like you do.

But one day, things take a turn for the complicated when a rival dojo made up of vampires shows up asking for help. An apocalyptic cult is making waves in the supernatural community, and the Court is putting out a call for action.

Of course, Joshua could just ignore it. He has enough problems making rent and getting hours. But then he wouldn't be able to see Sierra, a beautiful girl with eyes like topaz and who hits like a Mack Truck.

Then again, it's one thing to be called a snack. It's another thing entirely to be a snack.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Toshimi said:

I know we're a ways out, but I've been thinking about doing NaNoWriMo, never really done a lot of writing before, and want to be able to do some prep work leading up to it... @Kishi or others have suggestions?

ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

*ahem*

Well, I don't really know what your process is. Broadly speaking, NaNoWriMo generally is accomplished via one of two ways: Planning or Pantsing. Planning is what it sounds like - you have a plan, you have a direction you want the story to go, you've done some world building and you got a sense of the thing. Pantsing means that you "fly by the seat of your pants," which is to say, no planning, just get a lot of words on the page and just do it, go go go until the month is done and don't think about it.

So, the best thing I'd recommend to prepare is figure out which of these you are, and based on that to find someone who's explored similar methods and got results you want. Study, mimic, add of yourself.

1 hour ago, Kishi said:

So, the best thing I'd recommend to prepare is figure out which of these you are, and based on that to find someone who's explored similar methods and got results you want. Study, mimic, add of yourself.

One reason I was looking into it now, was that I tend to be more of a planner. I also think I have some ideas of the start and the end, just quite fuzzy on the path between. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Toshimi said:

One reason I was looking into it now, was that I tend to be more of a planner. I also think I have some ideas of the start and the end, just quite fuzzy on the path between. 

Dig. In that case, then, I'd suggest you start planning. One thing you're going to want to watch out for is your characterization too; readers can tell if characters are over-subordinated to the demands of the plot and they tend to punish that kind of thing.

• Like 1

So.. tossing this out. 

Still Working on my first arc module for the volcano apocalypse game I am making. I have a structure of 3 branches the party can take (and pretty much anything they do will end up being re-skinned versions of one of those three paths) coming back to central plot points (ie the party is going from A to B to C the question is how they get there and what happens on the way).

A is they get the quest. Something is fucking up the river that supplies water for the village. What? Good question! Fine out and fix it and we'll pay you, don't and people die. 

B is they discover the cause of the water fouling. Malicious sabotage. But who's doing it? 

C is they find out the cause and bring wrong doers to justice for good or money. Knowing this table, mostly money. But in the process, they find out of a larger threat. 

I am running into an issue. 

Path 1 is basically physical investigation. Follow the trail, look at the clues, follow physical breadcrumbs. Go upstream, potentially get lost and run into an optional miniboss's lair, shenanigans ensue. 

Path 2 is the social equivalent. Talk to people who will give you clues to talk to other people etc. Talk to the mayor who tells you about the hermit who is dead but left clues etc. Toss in enough combat to keep the resident Killy McGee happy and enough threat to keep the resident Leeroy Jenkins from wanting to hare off on his own too much.

It's an investigation storyline so the end result is they find the Big Bad  is doing Bad Things. Both path 1 and 2 more or less write themselves.

But this party often surprises me. So I have Path 3. Path 3 is the "wild card" path of things I will have prepared in case the party surprises me. Included is a few dialogue loops for innkeeper and bartender etc but I am stumped as to mini plot points and story beats to include. Side quests maybe? 

If you were a player who was presented with A, where would you go that I haven't thought about?

On 11/28/2019 at 5:15 AM, Legionary said:

So I usually do my first drafts on paper and I haven't even sat down for an hour before I managed to spill coffee on my notebook 20191128_044156.thumb.jpg.d41ee31cb4f49c577d08792b3de2ff5a.jpg

anyone else run into these problems? (Yes my penmanship is trash but that's half the fun) Alright time to stop procrastinating now. 

Occupational hazard. Just make sure the ink is waterproof, and you're good to go.