First Day of the Rebellion - First Challenge

Hey everyone.  You know those nights where, despite your best efforts, you have to get up at 3 AM cause your brain is demanding some random madness?  Well, after fulfilling that annoying tweak, I started searching out tips on maximizing warm-ups and workout rotations (started up again about two weeks ago after 14 years of not doing jack squat more than occasionally walking somewhere), and ended up here.  I'm... oddly enthusiastic...

About me - I'm a 35 year old Adjunct Chemistry professor at a number of local universities and community colleges in the Phoenix-Mesa area of Arizona.  When I actually got serious and did some fitness tracking, I found that I was carrying 91 lbs of body fat.  All I could think about at that time was, "What would I be like if I didn't have a job that had me on my feet multiple hours a day?"  My idea of a good day revolves around sleeping in, reading a book until fully awake, jumping on the console/computer/web for a rotation of games (RPG, strategy, puzzle ftw, especially if it's a hybrid of two of those, or a good old-fashioned board game or tabletop rpg, preferably with secrets and/or betrayals) until dinner, then cooking something simple but "fancy" or having someone else provide the food, then a spin of the "wheel of procrastination" to see what I don't do between dinner and bed.

I know myself, so I'm keeping my goals simple:

1.  Fitness - Work up to two full set of modified push-ups or half sets of real push-ups.  Currently able to do about 6-7 knee or incline push-ups before exhaustion.

2.  Nutrition - Replace at least half my liquid intake from milk to water (I am addicted to milk, drink between half a gallon to a gallon a day).  Realistically, this'll take the form of getting in at least a liter of water daily, if not two.

3.  Life - Grade at least 2 out of my 3 classes' papers on time.  I see two of them twice a week, and last semester, one class ended up getting back 6 assignments in a flood.

I'm not sure I can meet the fitness goal with less than 3 weeks, but what the heck?  Can't succeed if ya don't try.

Hi there and welcome to The Rebellion! Simple but fancy dinner eh? What sort of thing are we talking?  

6 hours ago, ilsudur said:

Can't succeed if ya don't try.

All of this. You'll fit in here ;)

The Sarcastic Computator

My favorite simple/fancy dinner was stuffed chicken/chicken cordon bleu:  Oven bake a chicken breast for about 5-7 minutes, take it out, slice it open pita-style, stuff with X, Y, Z, then grill it for a few minutes, long enough to melt cheese or cook potatoes or whatever was inserted.  Oh, and the key part was to serve with black tie.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, ilsudur said:

Fitness - Work up to two full set of modified push-ups or half sets of real push-ups.  Currently able to do about 6-7 knee or incline push-ups before exhaustion

Good Morning and welcome, sir! It looks like you have some nice and simple goals which I'm sure you nail. It sounds like you are worried about hitting the push-up goal but I think if you are consistent you'll definitely get there. I think you will be surprised how far you'll get if you do push-ups to exhaustion 1-2 times a day. See if you can add one more push-up a day to keep pushing yourself. Slow and steady, right? Good Luck and I hope to keep seeing you around.

Woo for pushup pushup time! I've been working on this, too. I'm no expert, but I think it is good to wait one day in between working new sets of pushups, to give your muscles the chance to rebuild (the pushups break them down, but the muscles do their growing in the rebuilding time, if I understand it right). Keep it up and you'll get there. It's also easier to see the big gains when you're just starting out, so you never know, you might make it by challenge end! And if not, there's always next time. :)

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

Weekly Update

This has been an interesting week for me, as it's the first time in a month I'd been coaxed onto a scale, and I'd lost all of 1.3 lbs in the last 30 days (255.6 to 254.3).  Normally this'd be a reason for discouragement, but considering I *know* I'm getting stronger, the thought of actually gaining muscle AND losing a little fat as well is making me look forward to the next couple weeks.  Anyhow, time to check-in on goals:

Fitness - I'm almost at a full set of cheating pushups (I can do 10, but the tenth one had to be done with a little stalling).  Still only a couple of real ones.  3 days of weight training, with bodyweight exercises either before or after.  48-ish hours between workouts.  Increased all my weight values by 10-15 since last week, with no decrease in set length.

Nutrition - Gonna call this 6/7, as I'm not certain I got in a full liter of water on Saturday.  Spiritually, it'd be 7/7, as I've definitely cut back on the milk and upped the water, but it's harder to track something like this without concrete metrics.

Life - 9/10'ish on this.  All of the week's papers were graded on the day they were collected, but I'm still sitting on a stack of quizzes from the end of the week, so even though there's still time, it breaks the spirit of the law.

Thanks for the encouragement, ya'll.  This next week marks my first month down since starting to get serious about my fitness, and a little accountability mixed with encouraging advice help make it easier to stick with my goals and keeps my determination high.  For this, I salute you!

• Like 1

I really like your goals!  Taking small steps towards how you want to be is the best plan.  Congrats on the push ups and the weight loss.  Every little bit of movement is a victory. 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward. -Amelia Earhart

Current Challenge: Tale of Nettis Clovenmark: CH 1: Stillness 

Ze/Zer/Zers

On 6/4/2018 at 12:06 AM, ilsudur said:

I'm not sure I can meet the fitness goal with less than 3 weeks, but what the heck?  Can't succeed if ya don't try.

I'm in the same boat. Started the challenge late. Still, we can do it! Good luck.

Emrys

Level 11 Rebel

Current Challenge

NF Diet Level 4 //FitBit

Back Squat PR: 5x5x95lb
Bench Press PR: 5x5x55lb

Deadlift PR: 5x5x95lb

Weekly Update

Week from the property adjacent to Hades... but that's life.  Here goes:

Fitness - About 2 shy of completing the second set of cheater push-ups, and only up to 6 real, good-form ones.  Still, I'm surprised, considering I'm not losing a lot of body weight yet (see last week's post), but I also didn't know about the novice effect when I made my goal, so hey, think I'll be ok to meet it next week.

Nutrition - Found it a lot harder to track how much water vs milk or other liquids I was having this week, especially on Father's Day.  After all, it takes a special type of ass to turn down a gift on a holiday celebrating family.  Still, I am going to low-ball it with a 4/7.

Life - This is where I fell down, having given a total of 4 quizzes and 1 exam last week.  I didn't get the exams graded until last night, and I left a lot of lab reports hanging over last week, so I'm estimating it at around a 6.5/10 or thereabouts.

I still can't say I enjoy workouts, but... I don't mind them as much as I thought I would.  Only had to force myself to get to the gym once in the past 2.5 weeks.  So hey, that's as big of a win as I could have imagined a month before.  Thanks again all, as dumb as it is, the psychological value of accountability combined with positive feedback makes a difference.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, ilsudur said:

Fitness - About 2 shy of completing the second set of cheater push-ups, and only up to 6 real, good-form ones.  Still, I'm surprised, considering I'm not losing a lot of body weight yet (see last week's post), but I also didn't know about the novice effect when I made my goal, so hey, think I'll be ok to meet it next week.

First, I wouldn't say only 6 with good form. THAT'S 6 WITH GOOD FORM! THAT'S AWESOME! Considering you weren't able to do any at the beginning of the challenge (I believe this is how I read it) I believe you're nailing it. If you start small, you'll miss small. Progress is progress not matter how small. Second, you're only two shy of the modified push-ups? KILLIN' IT! (I don't like to call them "cheater push-ups" because you're not cheating... you're just doing a modified version. Everyone starts somewhere).

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, ilsudur said:

I still can't say I enjoy workouts, but... I don't mind them as much as I thought I would.  Only had to force myself to get to the gym once in the past 2.5 weeks.  So hey, that's as big of a win as I could have imagined a month before.  Thanks again all, as dumb as it is, the psychological value of accountability combined with positive feedback makes a difference.

Only having to force yourself once in 2.5 weeks is awesome. Keep that up! It's taken me years to enjoy working out. There are still times I wake up in the morning dreading the wonderful workout I have planned for myself. I've found it takes time and you have to find what you enjoy doing to help keep you motivated. I've tried running, Crossfit, bodyweight work, yoga, and lifting. Lifting is the only thing I've found which keeps me motivated enough to keep getting up. Lifting might work for me, but not for you. I think once you find your thing, you'll become an addict.

I also agree the accountability has kept me going as well. I hope you have another great week and remember, YOU'VE GOT THIS!

Challenge Results

Ok, so here's how this worked out:

Fitness - Goal Met - Managed to complete the second set on Thursday.  Woot!

Nutrition - Goal (Mostly) Met - I can't say for sure I am drinking enough water daily, but I have cut back significantly on non-water options (AKA milk), and I find myself mentally tallying both in the evening to decide what to drink with dinner.  I've even become more protein-conscious on my workout days.

Life - Goal Met'ish - I'm still a procrastinator, and that's gonna take more than one challenge to fix (might be a lifetime, who knows?), but it has gotten a little better.  I still have a stack of papers ungraded from last week behind me, but it's not that large.

This has been... fun.  I'm actually enjoying being on the forums, especially when I can encourage others who are flagging or feeling down.  Heck, I even manage to take my own advice about half the time.  Now I have 2 weeks to decide on my next fitness goal, and I'd welcome thoughts: 

1) Get more serious about strength training - about 2/3 of my workout day is with weights - barbells, dumbbells, cables, and machines - but I don't have a solid rotation down yet, since I go to the gym solo, I don't do bench press much, so finding myself trying to compensate for that.

2)  Find a martial arts dojo nearby - I was a 3rd degree brown belt back at the age of 14 in shotokan karate, but I stopped before reaching black belt.  That's something I kinda regret, even as a self-styled pacifist.

3)  Focus on weight-loss weight training - I love the fact that I can start to see muscle definition for the first time in my life, but I'm still bummed about having a keg attached to my torso.  This isn't much different from strength- and bodybuilding-focused training, as far as I've read, but the prep work with nutrition is pretty different, and I keep going back and forth on it...

Good luck to everyone in their next challenge, and thanks for the encouragement.

Congrats on  challenge completion!   I vote  martial arts for your next challenge simply so I can live vicariously ;)  I  hope to do the same with  long sword fighting by the end of this year. 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward. -Amelia Earhart

Current Challenge: Tale of Nettis Clovenmark: CH 1: Stillness 

Ze/Zer/Zers