Some changes I made but concerns

So I was getting concerned a while back and some of these remain, as evidenced by my last post.  Someone at the gym who has not come around that time for a while came up to me and suggested I drink a half gallon of milk a day. Since I have started doing this, I have noticed weight gain on the scales. I believe I have gained about four-five pounds in two weeks. Also, I believe chocolate milk is best after working out so I have about two cups when I get home.

Now, the concern. I have read by a poster at BB.com in an old thread through a google search that milk takes calcium away from your bones. I don't know how accurate this is, but it has me a little concerned.  I already feel I may be at a permanent disadvantage because of my bones (and I really hope not). But half GOMAD is what has got me back on track since eating full meals is hard to come by.  So if that's bad for me then what alternative is there?

Also, while I try to eat as clean as possible, I still have to eat fast food every week. I have pretty much gone for grilled chicken, a baked potato, and chili (from two different places).  I have to eat some microwavable stuff one or two times a week as well like lasagne.

Vegetable intake is still an issue as I haven't used the nutri-bullet yet to make smoothies. I can eat collards, turnips, green beans, corn(which isn't a veg), and carrots.

For grains, I can eat baked potatoes but don't like sweet potatoes. My grandmother likes white rice so if she has to eat what she cooks for me, then I have no choice but to eat it. She complains about cooking my brown rice, which you have to boil in a bag. 

I see the weight is improving but it's too soon to tell for muscles. I have for the longest time had a hard time incline pressing past 25-30 pounds, and I am only squatting 15 LB plates atm. And that has me concerned about my bones.  (I am 37).  I hope I don't have osteoporosis.

I feel like people have gone around and around about the milk thing for a while. "Adult humans shouldn't drink milk from another animal" vs "milk does a body good" and so forth.

Half a gallon is a lot of anything that isn't water, BUT weigh lifting and any other resistance training puts a load on your skeleton. This load creates a feedback loop where your body is like "hey we need to support all this, lets make the bones stronger." So while half a gallon sounds like a lot to me, anyway, I think the loading of your skeleton during your workouts is going to make you stronger more than anything else. Milk stripping your bones of calcium just doesn't make sense. It runs counter to everything the dairy industry taught us growing up! lol. And anyway, you're not subsisting on milk alone. All those dark green veggies help with absorbing calcium as does their vitamin D (I think that might be why it gets put alongside calcium so much?)

(side note: Professional road cyclists have the opposite problem. The bike position is so skeletally neutral, and they train so hard, that their bodies literally strip minerals out of their bones and it DOES lead to osteoporosis-like problems.  But note, I'm talking pro-tour international professional road cyclists. The average human is never going to deal with this!)

If you're trying to gain weight, adding milk to your diet is often an easy way to do it. It's got a decent marco-nutrient profile and adds a bunch of calories with very little effort (especially for those who are having trouble eating extra calories).

As for the rest of the stuff, track your intake. If you're trying to gain weight, and the scale is going up, keep your intake where it is. If it isn't going up, eat more. If you're trying to lose weight, and it's going up, lower it every few weeks by a couple of hundred calories until the weight stops going up, then lower it by another couple of hundred calories per day so it will starting going down.

The thing about the calcium, there is very little peer reviewed evidence that milk helps you build stronger bones. There was a lot of stuff sold to people about milk by governments and the dairy industry about milk being so good for your bones, but not a whole lot of science to back it up. Additionally, although there have been some limited studies that say milk leeches calcium from bones, but there are no solid, long term, large scale studies, so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the milk is causing a bad reaction to you.

As @alexc has said, there is some stuff about people who don't put any resistance through their bodies having issues with early onset osteoporosis (I actually read a study about people who swim for physical fitness), but consistently the best way to build stronger bones is to do resistance training. Resistance on your body causes your bones to grow along with your muscles and your sinews, admittedly at a much slower rate however. And eating a lot of leafy greens often gives you all of the calcium you need every day anyway, so I wouldn't stress too much about what the milk may or may not be doing to your bones. So eat your vegetables, consume enough calories to achieve your goals, do resistance training, and don't neglect your cardio vascular system and I'm sure you'll get where you want to go.

I totally agree,

A half-gallon of milk is a lot.

As far as your weight, you said that you noticed on the scale you have gained 4-5 pounds--that is nice, but,

What does that 5 pounds look like when you look at yourself in the mirror--do you look harder and more muscular.

Or do you look softer--like you hare adding body-fat.

Too, many people get caught up in the scale--that is not to say, those 4-5 pounds are not muscle,--but I would rather see you gain,

I pound of solid muscle ever two weeks--then have it be mostly body-fat.

Lastly,

You mention that you take two cups of chocolate milk in post-workout.

But, you did not mention if your workouts--you did say your are lifting weights--are full body workouts--how long they are etc,

I mention this, because people tend to overestimate what they do--meaning you may only need one cup of chocolate milk post-workout.

Hope this helps.