Not gonna be a detailed post, but I think I'm acclimated to maintain the fitness routine now.  So, lately sticking to varied distance fartlek style running twice a week and bumped down my weight lifting to twice a week.  This week is deload, so I'm not doing any accessory movements.

I did manage to pop into a karate class.  We worked on standing self-defense, and it was pretty humbling how much there was to learn still. I definitely have a more solid ground to know what to look for in a martial arts versus uselessness.  That's not to say I don't see value in movement like kata (I personally love kata), but I'm talking about how class and instruction is structured or... not structured.  Anyway, that was enlightening.

• Like 2

Saturday's Workout

3.21 mi Fartlek Run (Duration: 37:15)

This seems to be the most optimal way to run since I'm only seriously hitting the trail twice a week. It gives me room to adjust my pacing dependent on my heart rate, so I'll stick with this for awhile.  That gives 3 days to plan for recovery (Sundays) and Sports (when school starts).

Sunday's Workout
I'm probably gonna do some mobility work and yoga.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Huzzah! You're so much smarter about recovery than I was at that age. I commend you!

I hear ya. I actually feel like I might have done too much when I was boxing even with a day off on the weekend. So, that's something I'm really gonna listen to when I join clubs.  There's gotta be a lower intensity day in between all the practice and lifting... like low-key jogging or something. DX

• Like 1

Still waiting to start school and martial arts.  I'm over here running and strength training every other day, so not much has changed from the routine.  Yesterday, I did do a little bag work (focusing on technique and use of combos and less on spastic motions like I used to lol).

I am starting to wake up 15 minutes earlier every day, and I can say I do feel a little tired as of the yesterday and today. Gonna get to bed around 1030 and wake up by 6am.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, feel that. I'm waiting for some nearby facilities to open up so I can really level up my training, but between here and there I gotta do the best I can. The time will pass; you're using yours well.

This + circumstances could change, and then I'll get to feel like I don't have time for any of it. woo!

That being said... Waking up earlier has led me to my newfound interest in low-intensity morning jogs.  I think that's when I'm going to do my cardio from now on (weather permitting).

• Like 1

Excellent start for today.  A lot better than most days.  I'm vowing not to do the snooze thing anymore.  Today, I woke up at 6:45am and timed my morning process to get an idea of how early I should hit the alarm.  Took two hours to get in a run, shower, and ready for the day before leaving the house. X)  

Morning
Jog, avg heart rate at 150bpm (peak heart rate at 169bpm)
-1 minute, fat burn

-19 minutes, cardio

-2 minutes , peak

I'm using my fitbit to get these readings, and they seem to be pretty accurate. I'm also enjoying the early morning jogs a lot more than the evening jogs as the intensity of the heat isn't keep my heart rate so high which gets pretty uncomfortable for what should be more of a moderate jog.

Evening
NOTHING!  Felt extremely tired so I gave myself rest. :)

• Like 1

Morning
Awake at 6:30AM. No work out on weekend mornings. Just want to reinforce beneficial sleep hygiene.

Woke up early to finish watching Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. :) Saturday morning cartoons evolved into Saturday morning classics.

Evening
Will probably lift again since I haven't technically started martial arts up back up. TBD - will edit tonight.

Plan 
I'm going to start re-introducing sprints and hill sprints next week and will continue lifting 3x/week until I start joining some clubs.

• Like 1

;D No exercise this weekend (except yoga, we're doing that). Slept in today.  Whoops. I do wanna keep the consistency 'cause wakin up early is starting to get a little challenging. Other than that, probably not gonna run in the morning tomorrow since I have to catch the bus so early.  

• Like 1
On 9/28/2018 at 10:37 AM, Kishi said:

Oh my goodness, were you caught in Florence too?

Yeah it was pretty terrible.  I'm in a more fortunate area, but it's not been so great for a lot of people in the East. :(

Yay!  Updated a lot of things with my workout, but kinda dialing down for the week for mid-terms/not feeling well.  Otherwise, feeling able to do more!

• Like 1

Whoa, I can't believe I've been busy all month. Still training though! In fact, I opted out of joining a club as it turned out to be a huge drain.  Here's where we are at!

How I trained at the beginning of the year:
-powerlift 3x a week on rotating schedule (DL, bench, squat, press)
-jog/walk 2-3x a week

New program as of this week:
**sports/strength & endurance
-bagwork/condition 3x a week

**strength & power
-shock training 2x a week
-olympic lifting 2x a week
-power lifting 2x a week

**cardio endurance & power
-run 4x a week
-sprints 1x a week

Full Rest 1-2x a week (one day might convert to an active rest day for a morning jog)
Loads more emphasis on mobility drills and foam rolling.

I kinda fell off posting here because I've become confident in my practice outline above. Although, I haven't bean doing sprints, I do bagwork twice a week, and I run 3x a week.  

Added a BBB template to my 5/3/1 and have had to take monday and today off to recover.  I feel so fried after such a huge change, but I did PR all of my lifts :O

• Like 2

According to this scale, my body fat % went from 21.6% to 22.9% over the holidays. I guess I let the eating get ahead of me this season. :P  I think I might have to cut hypertrophy training (finished 3 weeks and was intending to go 6 weeks) short now that clothes aren't fitting.

Need to find a new template for 5/3/1.  HELP

• Like 1

Sweet! I weighed in last week at my goal weight.

Workout
I've also been a lot more disciplined about consistently exercising.  Currently, I've been working out every day per this model:

• 2 days of jumps or throws followed by 5/3/1 and 13 week challenge, rounded of with a 2 mile run
  • 2 day of bagwork followed by calisthenics and either a 2 mile run or a sprint session
  • 3 days of full-body mobility and/or movement work for recovery

When I train has been dependent on the weather, as I've mentioned several times by now, but it's been a lot more bearable as the days continue to lengthen with renewed warmth.  Because this routine has been so optimal, I plan to add another day of bagwork and sprints, probably when the semester ends.

Reading

I'm currently reading a few books, but I thought I'd mention a particularly informative and relevant choice: "Why We Sleep" by Dr. Matthew Walker has been a welcome reminder for how and why we sleep the way we do, and the tragedy of sleep deprivation. I recommend it to... anybody.  Sleep is an occupation that we all endeavor upon and of which many underrate. The vast and numerous implications of sleep unfold nicely in this bedside read. So, if you've ever had any basic curiosity in the science for how we sleep or the unfortunate events of poor sleep hygiene, grab this one.

• Like 3