The Best Crooked of my Life

Crooked

LOVE the paleo krunch bars. we sell them at my box. i try not to eat them all.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

The lime juice & maple syrup sounds.. interesting? Awesome job on the burpees!

It was surprisingly awesome. The lime juice really makes it - otherwise it's quite bland.

LOVE the paleo krunch bars. we sell them at my box. i try not to eat them all.

Obsessed with Steve's products. If we sold them at my box, I would be forever unable to WOD because I would be full on krunch bars.

I love your goals & challenge! And wow! your lifts are impressive! Really motivating me to get stronger :)

Also: I saw that you were thinking of reading the Game of Thrones series. I HIGHLY recommend that. I've read the first one and most of the second and they are amazing. Pretty much all of my friends here are obsessing over them.

STR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 4

FITOCRACY CHALLENGE

I love your goals & challenge! And wow! your lifts are impressive! Really motivating me to get stronger :)

Also: I saw that you were thinking of reading the Game of Thrones series. I HIGHLY recommend that. I've read the first one and most of the second and they are amazing. Pretty much all of my friends here are obsessing over them.

Aww, thank you :) I'm pretty motivated to get stronger, too.

Thanks for the suggestion! After the book I'm currently reading, I'm going to see if I can borrow the first book on my Kindle from the library.

BRIEFEST of updates before I go the eff to sleep NOW:

Food:

eggs, avocado, tomato, coconut milk in my coffee

turkey, yams, broccoli, cashews, apple

almonds, plaintains, dried mango

sweet potato with almond butter

Fitness:

Snatches:

These were not my best work. Felt off today.

35x5

55x3

65x2

75xa couple

80x1

85xfail

85xfail

85xfail

75x3

Workout: The Crossfit Mile

250m row

15 kbs @ 53 pounds

25 burpees

15 kbs

250m row

_______

4:55 RX

This was 17 seconds better than the last time I tried this (2/14/12), but more importantly, it felt vastly more manageable. Last time I literally fell off the rower at the end of the WOD and lay panting on the ground; this time I stayed upright and cheered on the other two guys finishing.

Life:

I was INSANELY productive today. I wrote a list of everything that needed to get done and said I couldn't go on Gmail until every item was crossed off. At 4:40, I was finally allowed to check my mail. I got a TON of work done, and I'm super pleased. Crossed a lot of items off the to-do list. And now I'm going to bed for my almost-eight-hours-damn-so-close.

Quick update on my morning:

Food:

eggs, avocado, a bite of chia pudding, coffee

about to go down to the cafeteria and get some lunch

Fitness:

5 minutes strict and kipping HSPU practice

3 rounds:

20 box jumps

20 pullups

______

8:29

Meh. I am good at box jumps and ungood at pullups.

Back squats:

45x5

130x3

150x3

165x2 - PR

165x2

165x2

The day my coach and I found my max back squat for this program, I only went up to 165 pounds. He said that it looked like I could do 175, so that's what I should use as my max, but I've never actually done more than 165. Today was 2x2 at 165, which I was pretty worried about. Both sets felt so good that I added a third set of two just to try it and it went up fine. Obviously I'll still need to retest my max on the last day, but so far I think this squat program is working!

This thread is already so full of awesome it's insane. Love reading about your killer progress! So inspiring!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

I love the egg/avocado combo: sooo delicious. How does one "kip" a HSPU?

Same! I overdid it a while ago and am recently emerging from a phase of not wanting to eat it, so I'm trying to have eggs+avocado only as a sometimes food.

Kipping HSPU: Basically get into a handstand position and lower yourself (CAREFULLY) onto your head. Then, drop your knees into a tuck ("knees to nips") and kick your legs out and up to help you explode back into the top position. It's like a kip in a pull-ups. It looks like this:

This thread is already so full of awesome it's insane. Love reading about your killer progress! So inspiring!

Aww, thank you lady :)

Just curious where you are on your dead hang pull ups? Sounds like you're making great progress with your squats!

Well I took several weeks off of all upper body movements (and also lower body movements with an upper body component, like deadlifts) so I've been a little set back. But I can consistently do a couple strict chin-ups when I'm fresh, about one chin-up after a workout, and I haven't tried a strict pull-up in a couple weeks. I've done about five strict pull-ups total. Still a ways to go.

Front squats:

105x3

120x3

135x2

135x2

135x2

These got roughskis. 140 is my 1RM, so this was a lot of weight for me.

I stretched quite a bit after.

Life:

I didn't get all my goals accomplished for tonight, but I DID have a great hour-long talk with my teenage brother about some life stuff he's going through, and I thought that was vastly more important.

Geez, your front squats are ridic. ;P And it's awesome that you had a talk with your bro. That's way more important than other stuff.

Yes! I completely agree. I've been reading the series as George RR Martin (VERY, extremely, excruciatingly) slowly comes out with new books, and it's really wonderful. I mean, horrible and brutal and depressing sometimes, but the awesomeness makes up for all that. I haven't seen the TV series yet, but I hear it's quite good?

Workout: The Crossfit Mile

250m row

15 kbs @ 53 pounds

25 burpees

15 kbs

250m row

_______

4:55 RX

This was 17 seconds better than the last time I tried this (2/14/12), but more importantly, it felt vastly more manageable. Last time I literally fell off the rower at the end of the WOD and lay panting on the ground; this time I stayed upright and cheered on the other two guys finishing.

Life:

I was INSANELY productive today. I wrote a list of everything that needed to get done and said I couldn't go on Gmail until every item was crossed off. At 4:40, I was finally allowed to check my mail. I got a TON of work done, and I'm super pleased. Crossed a lot of items off the to-do list. And now I'm going to bed for my almost-eight-hours-damn-so-close.

I do that as well! It's so helpful for have a to-do list, and of course to prevent distractions when necessary. Nice job on the productivity and the improved workout.

45x5

130x3

150x3

165x2 - PR

165x2

165x2

The day my coach and I found my max back squat for this program, I only went up to 165 pounds. He said that it looked like I could do 175, so that's what I should use as my max, but I've never actually done more than 165. Today was 2x2 at 165, which I was pretty worried about. Both sets felt so good that I added a third set of two just to try it and it went up fine. Obviously I'll still need to retest my max on the last day, but so far I think this squat program is working!

Man, your squats are killer. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Geez, your front squats are ridic. ;P And it's awesome that you had a talk with your bro. That's way more important than other stuff.

Thanks! I agree - it felt really important to be having that conversation.

Yes! I completely agree. I've been reading the series as George RR Martin (VERY, extremely, excruciatingly) slowly comes out with new books, and it's really wonderful. I mean, horrible and brutal and depressing sometimes, but the awesomeness makes up for all that. I haven't seen the TV series yet, but I hear it's quite good?

I've heard many many good things about the books, so I'm definitely going to look into them. The TV shows are staggeringly awesome. As long as you don't mind gratuitous boobs all over the place, that is. But still. So good. My poor brother (different brother - the one who introduced me to Game of Thrones) has had to suffer through weeks of me texting him exclusively about whatever just happened in the GoT episode I'm in the middle of: "ARGH JOFFREY YOU LITTLE SHIT WANT TO STAB" and "ARYA muthafuckas" - that kind of thing.

I do that as well! It's so helpful for have a to-do list, and of course to prevent distractions when necessary. Nice job on the productivity and the improved workout.

Man, your squats are killer. :)

Yeah I'm definitely excited about how much I got done the other day. I periodically have lists like that one, but for some reason I was just completely inspired all day to work hard.

5/4 continued

Food:

lunch: burger (no bun), lettuce, tomato, ketchup (not paleo womp); apple, cashews

post-work-walking-to-dinner-snack: apple

dinner: house salad (which came with chickpeas, weirdly) with blackened catfish - shockingly delicious catfish

5/5 so far

Food:

pre-WOD: whey protein, some dried fruit stuff, kombucha

post-WOD: eggs, avocado; sweet potato, almond butter; all the coffee

Fitness:

I hope you are all ready for a big woot session from me. In December (12/10/11), my box had an in-house competition. The first workout was "Grace-su," a mashup of Grace and Kalsu: 30 clean and jerks at 135/85 with five burpees on the minute every minute. There was a 10-minute time cap. I finished in 9:28, which I was THRILLED about. Eighty-five pounds was then a LOT of weight for me to clean, and 30 is a lot of reps no matter what. Today we retested:

"Grace-su"

30 clean and jerks @ 85 pounds

5 burpees on the minute every minute

_________

4:59 RX

That's just a bit over half the time this workout took me five months ago. I am SO excited.

I feel kind of like I got hit by a truck after this week's workouts, but in a good way. I'm sore, but I did really well on a lot of WODs and I feel like I'm getting stronger. I'm going to sign up for a local competition on June 16 that a bunch of people from my box are going to.

Did MWOD #3 to mash my calves a little. Going to look into Achilles-related mobility work. Then I put on my new Vibrams for the first time and went for a 10-ish-minute light jog in my neighborhood. I know the issue a lot of people face with Vibrams is that they do too much too soon and sort of screw themselves up for a while, so I want to take it super easy and cautious as I work my way into minimalist running.

Then I put on my new Vibrams for the first time and went for a 10-ish-minute light jog in my neighborhood.

I bet you drew many an admiring glance. :-)

How did they feel?? And how do feel today?

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

I bet you drew many an admiring glance. :-)

How did they feel?? And how do feel today?

They feel great! I've been trying to run with more of a mid-foot strike anyway. This has required constant conscious effort in my normal running shoes, and as soon as I get tired or distracted, I return to heel-striking. In the Vibrams, the fore-foot/mid-foot strike was completely natural and happened without me thinking about it.

WEEK ONE SUMMARY

Strength

I've been working my squat program and feeling good about it. We had a pretty heavy week this week, so I think I probably made some progress toward these goals. Specifically, I did 220x3 deadlift, failed at some 125-pound jerk attempts, had a mediocre snatching session (I hate the hook grip), had a great back squat day of three sets of two at 165 and didn't work on bench or OHS.

Diet

I wasn't 100% paleo this week (I had a bit of cheese and corn on my salad Saturday night, I had some ketchup with my lunches, etc.), but I was much closer this week and feel really good about my diet. I didn't have any major stomach issues, which is probably related!

Wisdom

I read one book last week, Kenji Yoshino's Covering, which counts as my law-related nonfiction book. I'm 1/4 of the way to this goal.

I'm having coffee with one of my mentors tomorrow morning.

Consistency

3 MWODS - check

4 days of Crossfit - check plus (I went six days last week)

3 rowing/running sessions outside of Crossfit - check (two rows, one - short - run)

8 hours of sleep - not check - I got 7.5, 6.5, 6.5, 7.25, 8, 10, 7.5 hours last week

1 "other" - check - I did yoga Saturday

Summary

I feel great about my first week of the challenge. I worked hard toward a lot of my goals, I improved my consistency, and I think I made good progress. I was also among the top performers for a lot of last week's WODs, and I made improvements on two WODs that we've done before (5:17 to 4:55 on the "Crossfit mile" from 2/14/12 to 5/13/12; 9:28 to 4:59 on "Grace-su" from 12/10/11 to 5/5/12).

5/7/12 so far

Food:

pre-WOD: whey protein

post-WOD: eggs, sweet potato

Fitness:

Clean + 3 front squats:

120 - fell to my knees on this clean, stood it up and did the front squat. My coach yelled at me for not dropping the bar.

WOD:

800m run

30 front squats at 185/120

(barbell starts on the floor)

800m run

________

22:24 RX

So. This took me a while. 125 is my clean 1RM and I've only done it once, so multiple cleans at 120 was REALLY challenging, especially after Grace-su on Saturday. But I got it done, I refused to quit or drop the weight, and my cleans actually improved as I got fatigued. Still feel like I got beat up, but at least I'm proud of myself.

Wow, sounds like you're really hitting your groove this week. Love the work on the Crossfit Mile!

BTW, what's that machine you're pushing in your avatar? I used to have to manhandle one of those when I did strongman training, and we called it 'The Punisher'...I've never know what it's actually supposed to be called though :)

Keep up the great work!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander

Scout - Level 7

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines