The Best Crooked of my Life

Crooked

5/7/12

Clean + 3 front squats:

120 - fell to my knees on this clean, stood it up and did the front squat. My coach yelled at me for not dropping the bar.

WOD:

800m run

30 front squats at 185/120

(barbell starts on the floor)

800m run

________

22:24 RX

First, nice improvement on Grace-su.

second, drop the dang barbell. ;)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Your thread is always a joy to read! I feel like we're right there with you (and in some ways, we really are!) conquering those mountains!

Keep on, keep on!

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it. I do feel like you all are there with me - I'm inspired every day to keep going by this community :)

Wow, sounds like you're really hitting your groove this week. Love the work on the Crossfit Mile!

BTW, what's that machine you're pushing in your avatar? I used to have to manhandle one of those when I did strongman training, and we called it 'The Punisher'...I've never know what it's actually supposed to be called though :)

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I felt good. The monster/machine in my avatar is a prowler/sled. It's basically the worst two minutes of your life. I once did suicides and then death-by-prowler with it and my legs actually felt like they were on fire.

I could have sworn I'd commented before but it looks like I missed!~ So sorry!

I'm very much the same- I want to accomplish everything now!

You're going to do great!

Thank you!

First, nice improvement on Grace-su.

second, drop the dang barbell. ;)

Haha thanks. I know. It's just that by the time I've cleaned the bar up and fallen down, I've already cleaned the bar up --> done half the work. It's demoralizing to drop the weight, walk away and try again. But I didn't do it in the WOD!

Great work!! I totally know what you mean, doing a WOD Rx'd and feeling amazing about it, even if it takes you 3 times longer than everyone else. Just knowing you accomplished it and FINISHED... is enough. Keep it up! :)

Exactly! When I'd done 26 squats, I kept failing on the clean and my coach was like "You can drop down to 115 for the last four..." and I think I said, "I CAN'T! I'm almost there" and then immediately picked up the barbell for the final reps. That's what it felt like anyway.

5/7/12 so far

Food:

pre-WOD: whey protein

post-WOD: eggs, sweet potato

Fitness:

Clean + 3 front squats:

120 - fell to my knees on this clean, stood it up and did the front squat. My coach yelled at me for not dropping the bar.

WOD:

800m run

30 front squats at 185/120

(barbell starts on the floor)

800m run

________

22:24 RX

So. This took me a while. 125 is my clean 1RM and I've only done it once, so multiple cleans at 120 was REALLY challenging, especially after Grace-su on Saturday. But I got it done, I refused to quit or drop the weight, and my cleans actually improved as I got fatigued. Still feel like I got beat up, but at least I'm proud of myself.

Seriously really awesome numbers. Good job, especially at RX. Impressive.

Limited time, because I need to get to sleep. This morning we jogged a mile and a half when we got up. Ate fully paleo all day. Got to the gym tonight and Coach said today should be a rest day because I went to a dark place with yesterday's WOD. I was not thrilled with that, but it's his job to know what I should be doing. Had some wine with my dinner of scrambled eggs and was temporarily slightly feeling it. Productive at work as there was a lot to do, and I'm tired now. Yesterday I read a second book — Early Autumn, which was GREAT.

Limited time, because I need to get to sleep. This morning we jogged a mile and a half when we got up. Ate fully paleo all day. Got to the gym tonight and Coach said today should be a rest day because I went to a dark place with yesterday's WOD. I was not thrilled with that, but it's his job to know what I should be doing. Had some wine with my dinner of scrambled eggs and was temporarily slightly feeling it. Productive at work as there was a lot to do, and I'm tired now. Yesterday I read a second book — Early Autumn, which was GREAT.

I love your goals & challenge! And wow! your lifts are impressive! Really motivating me to get stronger :)

Also: I saw that you were thinking of reading the Game of Thrones series. I HIGHLY recommend that. I've read the first one and most of the second and they are amazing. Pretty much all of my friends here are obsessing over them.

Yeah, Game of thrones is awesome. Epic. If not full of sex and stuff. Please don't read if you can't stand that. :)

Also -- have you read 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman? Incredible book. About half-way through right now and can't put it down. Seriously. Ridiculous...*goes back to reading*

Yeah, Game of thrones is awesome. Epic. If not full of sex and stuff. Please don't read if you can't stand that. :)

Also -- have you read 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman? Incredible book. About half-way through right now and can't put it down. Seriously. Ridiculous...*goes back to reading*

OH NO, not SEX AND STUFF.

Ahem.

I love Neil Gaiman. Haven't read American Gods, but I know I have to.

5/9/12 so far

Food:

pre-WOD: protein, Advil (:shame:)

post-WOD: Progenex, eggs, sweet potato

I seriously almost crashed my car on the drive home from the gym because Progenex was so surprisingly delicious. My order came yesterday. No idea if it "works" for recovery, but it's like liquid candy.

Fitness:

Didn't do the class WOD, Barbara, because my forearm is still a f*&@ing mess. Making a doctor's appointment ASAP, really. Coach programmed some stuff for me. First I did my squats.

Front squat

35x5

115x5

125x2

140x1

140x2 - PR

140 was my 1RM going into this squat program. Kind of wish I'd tried 3, because I was feeling STRONG.

Worked up on my thrusters and deadlifts, then:

5 rounds

10 thrusters at 65

5 deadlifts at 155

______

6:42 or 6:24. I can't remember now. I was doing it off the clock they used for Barbara. Also I don't really care what my time was.

Deadlifts:

185x3

205x1

215x1

225x1 - YES! I haven't been able to pick up even 220 in a while, so I'm pleased about this.

Congrats on the Front Squat PR! That is insane! How do you set those things up for yourself? From a standing perch? (lol forgive the term).

In my gym, I can't find any apparatus that would facilitate the front squat for me other than the Smith machine. But oh well, at least I have a cage to do my back squats in.

Have you read Graveyard Book?

I have not. Should I?

Congrats on the Front Squat PR! That is insane! How do you set those things up for yourself? From a standing perch? (lol forgive the term).

In my gym, I can't find any apparatus that would facilitate the front squat for me other than the Smith machine. But oh well, at least I have a cage to do my back squats in.

Thank you! When I'm only working on front squats, I use the same rack we use for setting up back squats, presses/jerks, etc., which is a Rogue infinity rig. It basically looks like this: http://www.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/r/3/r3-rig-addon-smh_1.jpg

Sometimes we do cleans to front squats, as on Monday morning.

Why can't you front squat in the same cage in which you back squat?

*like like like like like like like*

:P

THANK YOU for the inspiration. Plowing through Godwulf now. Think I'm going to read them in order - I LIKE order :D

That said, I'm glad I started with Early Autumn. I think it was a good way for me to get invested in Spenser prior to starting from the beginning, where he's still developing into a phenomenal person; though his empathy and overall approach is there on a foundational level, some of his behavior in this one is kind of icky.

If you like Neil Gaiman, definitely. I've read Stardust, Neverwhere, Coraline, and Graveyard Book. The only one I was "meh" about was Stardust and I still enjoyed it enough to read it over a 24-30 hour span (<3 vacation reading).

I'll look into it -thanks! Have you read Good Omens? It's his collaboration with Terry Pratchett, whom I also love.

THANK YOU for the inspiration. Plowing through Godwulf now. Think I'm going to read them in order - I LIKE order :D

That said, I'm glad I started with Early Autumn. I think it was a good way for me to get invested in Spenser prior to starting from the beginning, where he's still developing into a phenomenal person; though his empathy and overall approach is there on a foundational level, some of his behavior in this one is kind of icky.

Definitely! I didn't read Godswulf till I was, I dunno, ten books in or so. So, I remember it really jumping out at me that he was a very different character to start with.

Makes sense, though. He was absolutely written with nearly all the classic hardboiled/noir/PI elements in place, basically a copy of Raymond Chandler's iconic Phillip Marlowe. Not even sure he meant to write it as a series, but by the second book, he starts becoming his own character. (second book is also when Susan is first introduced, which is interesting, as having a monogamous relationship was one of things that absolutely set Spenser apart from the traditional PI character)

But yeah, I always suggest Early Autumn, as it distills Spenser's ethical core, and for the difference it made in my life, at least, as a younger(er) guy, the easiest to use a a blueprint for livin', so to speak.

Anyway, enjoy! At the rate you seem to read, you'll probably be up to the mid-90's books by next week. :P

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

But yeah, I always suggest Early Autumn, as it distills Spenser's ethical core, and for the difference it made in my life, at least, as a younger(er) guy, the easiest to use a a blueprint for livin', so to speak.

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" --Ralph Wiggum

I'm sure you know what I meant, though.

:P

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

I'll look into it -thanks! Have you read Good Omens? It's his collaboration with Terry Pratchett, whom I also love.

I am in possession of it, my girlfriend keeps insisting it's the next book I should read, but I'm looking to get my hands on Hunger Games to see what all the hubub is about.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines